Gimme a fantasy game that isn't:

Gimme a fantasy game that isn't:

D&D, a homebrew/re-release of D&D rules or a game meant to emulate D&D in specific.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_role-playing_games_by_genre
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_role-playing_games_by_genre#Fantasy
bitsnoop.com/runequest-q24281186.html
mega.nz/#F!iwxRETYC!92YZNGq7TKlSeEFBCMOWYA
mediafire.com/file/awf8a1tlfbg5vf7/In Nomine - Core Rules (sjg3301).pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

GURPS

Why.

D&D is good.
Please don't tell me you're one of those weird memesters looking to just start shit.

If you want a fantasy game that isn't D&D, you can hardly take two steps without stumbling into one. Just check this out for more information.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_role-playing_games_by_genre

Mind you, you didn't ask for a good one, so you're going to have to wade through a lot of bad games on the way to realizing that D&D is a pretty good set of systems, even the old original one with all of its archaic mechanics.

dude OP didn't even give a reason and you chose to instead jump down his throat and assume he's hating on your pet game.

A WEE BIT defensive are we not?

Burning Wheel

Reign

The Dying Earth

Hillfolk

Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-granting Engine

Barbarians of Lemuria

Fall of Magic

That's just for starters.

>Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-granting Engine

Okay I gotta ask about this one.

It's weird. It's a diceless system like Amber or Lords of Gossamer and Shadow, though its mechanics are different. It focuses on slice of life type stuff, kind of like Golden Sky Stories, though it's not as totally weeb as GSS.
(I'd post it, but it seems at some point I deleted the final pdf and saved the early draft by mistake.)

MtG

Exalted
WoD
Ars Magica
Dungeons the Dragoning 40,000: 7th edition

Palladium, D6 and Shadowrun. Although Shadowrun is a bizarre mix of cyberpunk and fantasy.

>Please don't tell me you're one of those weird memesters looking to just start shit.

Look in the mirror pal.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_role-playing_games_by_genre#Fantasy

Wikipedia curiously has lists for everything conceivable.

Not sure if that helps, but it's a starting point for your research.

Mythras/RuneQuest 6 is a terrific fantasy game. RuneQuest in general was originally designed to deal with the legacy issues D&D still carries with it.

>Why

It's possible OP is just looking for something to play between D&D campaigns. I can't speak for you, but we don't all pick a single game / system and stick with it indefinitely.

>RuneQuest

I was just researching this one. Found a somewhat active torrent trove of RuneQuest books:
bitsnoop.com/runequest-q24281186.html

I don't like the multi-volume approach though. Looks like you'd have to juggle a minimum of four or five different manuals during play. I generally prefer games that keep everything self-contained to a single reference.

here

Nobilis. It's great stuff

Warhammer fantasy roleplay
Harnmaster

Better than d&d

Tribe 8.

d20 Conan
ZeFRS
Barbarians of Lemuria
Modiphius Conan

For some Sword and Sorcery gaming options.

Iron Kingdoms RPG
Anima
Log Horizon
Rolemaster
HARNMaster
Savage Worlds Hellfrost

Fantasy HERO
Urban Fantasy HERO

Mutants and Masterminds

REIGN

d6 Fantasy

Urban Fantasy:
Shadowrun
Buffy/Angel RPG
Ghosts of Albion RPG
AFMBE
Witchcraft
Classic World of Darkness
Chronicles of Darkness

I'm sure We're still missing several.

Elric!/Stormbringer
Pendragon

Risus.

Is "wuxia" a subset of fantasy or something independent?

Because yeah Legends of the Wulin is pretty fugn great

I'd say that Mechanical Dream is pretty fucking far from D&D.

>Characters reside in the world of the dual world of Kaïnas and Naakinis, a 30,000 mile disk lit by a sun-like orb called the Pendulum. This disk is surrounded by the Sofe, a 40-mile-tall wall of black ether that kills that few, if any, have ever returned from. Kaïnas (the rational world) and Naakinis (the mythic world) exist with overlapping topography and ecosystems. Flora and fauna of Kainas are scaled normally by real-world standards, while Naakinis exists on a much larger scale (such as the "Kioux" trees that reach many miles in height).

>The Pendulum spends roughly ten of each day's thirty hours beyond the Sofe, creating night-like darkness. During this time, a phenomenon called "The Dream" manifests, becoming stronger as less and less light permeates Kaïnas. The Dream is a fabulous and dangerous world that overlaps with reality. It is initially hazy and hallucinatory, becoming as solid as reality during the darkest parts of the night. Areas where the Pendulum does not shine are affected by permanent manifestations of the Dream.

>The Aran world is a separate existence, accessible only in places the Pendulums' light cannot reach (underground or deep underwater). It is fiercely primordial, rejecting inorganic matter and operating by rules entirely different from reality. The creatures inhabiting Aran are unpredictable and poorly understood.

>The vast majority of the setting's population depends on the weekly consumption of the orpee fruit to survive. Without orpee, a rapid and excruciating death is guaranteed. Orpee naturally concentrates a life-force called "eflow" that fuels life. The politics and economics of Kaïnas are primarily driven by the collection and distribution of orpee, as it is an absolute requirement for life.

Attached is a setting overview. Link to PDFs is here -- mega.nz/#F!iwxRETYC!92YZNGq7TKlSeEFBCMOWYA

Does Modern Fantasy count?

Literally a spy thriller setting centered around angelic politics

>tfw you'll never play In Nomine

mediafire.com/file/awf8a1tlfbg5vf7/In Nomine - Core Rules (sjg3301).pdf

I have a homebrew system one of my friends made when he was in the Navy, it's heavily based off another system I don't remember the name of, I can post pictures of rules and such if anyone's interested. It's called fantasy trip

A lot of that's old setting specific stuff.

You just need the RQ6/Mythras core book. Or the essentials version.

>Barbarians of Lemuria

Seconding this, it does Sword & Sorcery (rather than D&D's default High Fantasy) perfectly.

Wisher, Theurgist, Fatalist and the Weaver of their Fates, a.k.a. WTF & WTF a.k.a. WTF.

It's a weird-ass game by Jenna K. Moran, formerly known as Rebecca Sean Borgstrom, a.k.a. the lady who wrote Nobilis and Chuubo and IIRC the Wyld supplement for Exalted.

You are on a journey to find the Jewel of All Desiring, and wish upon it to create a perfect world; the players are the Wisher, who will make the wish, the Theurgist, who must sacrifice themselves to become the firmament of the new world, and the Fatalist who must guide the Wisher to become someone worthy of wishing in the first place. Also, optionally, a Weaver - the only creature in the world that cannot wish or become the firmament, cannot really act to change the world, and is pretty much the GM of the game.

Except, in some ways, everyone is the GM. The only rules in the game are the rules for determining how you play the game: rules for arguing whether or not something is true in the fiction, and resolving debates on the matter (usually the Fatalist gets to decide); rules for arguing how the mechanics of the game work (usually the Theurgist); and rules for arguing how the game is played in the first place and when specific mechanics apply, which the Wisher will usually get to choose.

For example, say that I want to use Fatalism to say that something is true in the setting - that vampires can always be recognized by their distinct slavic accents, for instance. I start by setting a difficulty for the check, between 0 and 7, preferably high enough that I can beat it while too high for others to reliably beat it. I then make a Knowledge roll and, if I beat it, it's true.
However, say that someone else thinks that's dumb and thinks they should speak like upper-class Englishmen instead. So they also make a roll against the number I set, and if they both beat it and get higher than anyone else then that's capital-T True.
Or, if no-one wants to roll (or nobody beats the number), the Weaver answers.

>Anima
Sorry, not fantasy, something beyond that