EDH/Commander General

Complete and Utter Jank Edition

Old: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh/multiplayer-commander-decklists/217008-opal-eyes-splendid-isolation-politics-voltron
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/15-10-16-HjU-sen-triplets-edh/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/yidris-chaos-wizard/
edhrec.com/commanders/thassa-god-of-the-sea
edhrec.com/commanders/braids-conjurer-adept
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pay up!

Stax master race report in

That fox has some fucking MASSIVE pecs

post [STAND]s

Reposing in new thread.

On a budget and stuck between Phyrexian Bae and Saskia as my second deck(my frist is Breya).
I already have a lot of the tools for Atraxia in my Anafenza deck so I feel it's kind of a waste but I love the art and abilities she brings to the table(though her Partners make me sick). Is it worth getting a deck I already practically have or should I go with the dogpile deck instead to try something new?

Also, why is Breya's mana base dogshit? I know it's an artifact deck but for fucking cereal, not one filter or check? That's some bullshit.

Bet he benches like 400 lbs

For ages I thought it was a chick.

Should I try making a pure Samurai deck or mix Samurai with Mardu?

>Implying anyone's actually built Opal-Eye

Even in testing with shocks and such I've been having a little trouble on the manabase with my Breya deck, on the one hand I want to run a low land count like 34-30 cuz it's filled with mana rocks, but even with every signet and talisman colors can be a bit wonky sometimes cuz no green for that sweet fixing

samurai isnt good regardless of which way you build it, so build the kind that you think you will enjoy the most.

Mardu doesn't have the dude that regenerates samurai, though. I'd go Naya unless there's decent black samurai I'm forgetting.

Just add 10 fetches and duals bro!

>unless there's decent black samurai I'm forgetting
The fucking BEST samurai

He's pretty divergent from an actual samurai list, though. He just does his own thing and happens to be a samurai.

Sigh

Yeah I realize that fetches are actually the key to a working multicolor manabase

Sucks that they are so damn expensive. Even the ally ones are not really what I'm looking for in terms of price range. The enemy ones are absurdly out of reach

I think ABUR deals can be left out if you have the fetches, because fetches make basics work in 4 colors which is pretty amazing because basics fucking suck in 4 colors normally

Samurai don't do anything but have okay combat stats so it's hard to see how anything could be "out of place" in a samurai deck

Well, presumably you're wanting to beat people with samurai. That would be called aggro and regenerating them seems important.

I personally think 30 is too low. Do you have lands like city of brass? Those lands could help with the mana.

How about saskia as the commander with samurias being the bulk of the deck?
Fetches are really good. They really help with mana fixing

>30 lands
Jesus that's too low for any EDH deck. Lowest I've ever gone is Slobad with 34, and I have a shitload of rocks to back it up.

You'd also just want green win cons like Craterhoof Behemoth, Collective Blessing, etc. just to have any hope of winning. Samurai are awful.

I play 30 lands Also as slobad, it works if you make up for it with manarocks, but only then.

I don't like Saskia for the meta she'll bring to the table.

I don't care that much about winning, I normally play a rakdos deck with 0 win conditions.

There's a few lists on MtG Salvation but only one of them seems any good.

How about the partners? Find a combination that works.

I mean I've personally seen decks with 28-30 lands work incredibly well so I can't agree, BUT I think in the case of Breya, somewhere near 34 lands is more appropriate

Yes the list I was testing with 30 lands had city of brass, mana confluence, glimmervoid

The best draws actually involved one of those

So you could chain removal spells like a motherfucker with this guy

Opinion on the filter lands for the 4 color decks? They seem like they would be useful and I want to buy some before the price goes up

>Opinion on the filter lands for the 4 color decks? They seem like they would be useful and I want to buy some before the price goes up

Why would their prices go up? They area old-ass cards finally getting a reprint. That drives prices down...

I already have most of them in my decks. They've been in the $1-5 range.

There's something wrong then. If 5 color decks can do it, then 4 colors can. Can you post list?

Comin over from previous thread, looking for Atraxa inspiration. I saw some other posters talking about Consulate Surveillance which gave me the thought of taking an Energy-counter route. However, looking over the energy cards available, it doesn't look like the optimal route. Aetherworks Marvel and the Modules could have potential, but outside of Standard/Draft, the mechanic seems less efficient than other potential builds.

I think he means the lorwyn block filters, not the odyssey filters

Dynavolt Tower + lot of spells or Marvel + lot of tokens/sac outlet are your best bets for building a lot of energy.

And honestly with a doubling season out it shouldn't be that hard to shit tokens out everywhere

He is talking about these

For reasons I cannot say I will only buy 2 of the 2016 decks. Which ones should I get /edhg/? I am comfortable with anything and money is not an issue for any of them but I am limited to only two decks.

I've bought all 5 so that i can use them like a board game if needed.

I like Stalwart unity and that cascade chaos deck so those get my vote.

the problem is obviously the lack of green

Stasis sub-sector reporting in

god I wish they reprinted those

With artifacts, lack of green isn't something to worry about

Just buy singles man

No can do. Group is complaining about power level and thinks they found a solution to it and it requires getting 2 of the decks.

Where my Black bros at?

So you think I should go with the token+counters route?

I was considering that. Maybe also throwing in Newzuri and Newzuri-type stuff, maybe also Derevi to make the token swarm do double-duty by untapping my lands?

What's the issue with your groups powerlevel?

I'm going to guess they get to buy two and cannibalize them, and add no other cards.

Or something, its probably retarded and more complicated than just that otherwise he would tell us.

I'm curious. Which list?

I had a great time playing with Queen Marchesa (long may she reign) tonight. Some flicker to give myself Monarch when I needed it, enough mana fixing, and I pretty much kept enough answers and threats in my hand to keep people from attacking me and at each other's throats until I could easily take them out. Still a couple of cards I'd like to put in (like Ghostly Prison and Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs) but other than that Queen Marchesa (long may she reign) has been pretty fun.

mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh/multiplayer-commander-decklists/217008-opal-eyes-splendid-isolation-politics-voltron

I don't mind the idea of invincible pariahs.dec but it seems slow, and suffers from the same issues as other mono white decks. Still, seems workable.

what's up with that diamond on some cards?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/15-10-16-HjU-sen-triplets-edh/

Does anyone have any advice? Secret tech?

What happens if I cast a spell from my hand if I have Possibility Storm out?

Ive never understood these hairbrained attempts at fixing a meta. The shifting of powerlevel of a meta is a natural, fluxuating cycle. Fucking with the natural processes does more harm than good. Don't mess with it!

It's like the circle of life in a way.

Decks start out pretty weak and play like battlecruisers, very unfocused or too gimmicky/durdly. This is the TIMMY phase. After the TIMMY phase, a healthy meta begins to experiment with alternate win cons and combos. The JOHNNY phase begins. This is generally the best phase to be in, as deck prices are do-able, and the meta is pretty accepting of all skill levels. Next, an event only known as the ARMS RACE begins, where the meta warps into the SPIKE phase. This is the most dangerous phase, as players can get needlessly salty, and spend extreme amounts on decks. These metas are very inclusive, and actually are a big point in the meta's life. There are two paths that can be taken from here. Either the meta reverts back into TIMMY phase due to the players agreeing to make decks based around jankier commanders/lower power builds, or the meta DIES. The death of a meta doesn't mean all players involved quit magic, just that group stops playing together as an organized meta from this point on.

I attached a diagram, excuse the quality, I'm phoneposting, and I've got gorilla hands.

Post commanders that you wanted to build but know it in your heart they are too shit.

What diamond? The set symbol?

Cascade trigger and Storm triggers go on the stack. Cast spell will be exiled by Storm but Cascade will be fine. Spell cast off of Storm doesn't get Cascade because it wasn't cast from hand.

This thing is "proof" the card isn't a fake.

What if I Storm into a new Cascade? Cascade doesn't care if it comes from the hand. Apparently doesn't even care if you Cascade again.
>Cascade (When you cast this spell, exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a nonland card that costs less. You may cast it without paying its mana cost. Put the exiled cards on the bottom in a random order.)
>5/1/2009 If you cast the last exiled card, you’re casting it as a spell. It can be countered. If that card has cascade, the new spell’s cascade ability will trigger, and you’ll repeat the process for the new spell.

I wish they switched Primeval Protector and Duelist's Heritage around in the not-Blue and not-Red C16 decks.

give me your craziest cards for my Yidris chaos deck. what I have so far:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/yidris-chaos-wizard/

>shu yun
>shit

He's basically one punch man

How you holding up homie

is there a way to calculate how a deck's ability to draw and get mana by turn 6 to 8 or more mana from mana sources?

generally curious, cause i would imagine one of you guys being good at statistics and probability

and as a follow up, without being over saturated with those type of cards that draw and mana ramp, since late game they are dead draws

I'm good, I'm good. Just a tad sad we're ignored in this thread, my brother of dark-colored descent

Absolutely blackbrutha.
What's your fave black card?

Playtest ALOT. Tally how many times the deck draws and ramps well and how many times it doesnt. Do this 100 times. If your deck draws and ramps well 70/100 times, you're acceptable. 80/100 youre good. 90/100 excellent. 100/100 perfect, please teach me.

Alteratively,do this 10 times and see, test more if need be.

Grave Pact and Diabolic Revelation.

I always want a genie to grant me more wishes.

I've got just the card for you

I want to build a not serious fundeck, and I've been told that Blue Sea Monsters are both relatively cheap and easy to get.
Can you guys confirm this and possibly provide some lists/suggestions?

I had a myr tribal deck. It also had the problem if getting focused even though it was jank. Turned it into Sydri and I stopped getting targeted so much.

fun is subjective. as long as you dont mind not winning that often then you are good.

check these lists

edhrec.com/commanders/thassa-god-of-the-sea

edhrec.com/commanders/braids-conjurer-adept

proto-ajani

Wrexial sea monster tribal!

Decklist?

She sends fun.

I've only seen metas die from the arms race. It's kind of sad to watch history keep repeating itself like that.

It helps if the people in a playgroup are open minded, willing to consider the fun of the arms race and powerful consistent decks, but also willing to consider making decks that play slower and play more Timmy/Johnny, that way each player understands all the perspectives and nobody is blinded by being only able to see the game the eyes of the spike, or the Johnny, etc

Agreed. In my experience though, there always seems to be one that just doesn't grasp that concept, which causes all the others to abandon that concept in order to compete. It all then eventually implodes despite warnings.

Nobody willing to discuss EDH at 3 in the morning? Ded game.

>Shu Yun
>shit

I disagree. He certainly isn't the best in that color combination, but he's pretty viable if he's played well.

it's halloween, boy

The cards you are casting through Cascade resolving aren't in your hand so they won't have cascade from the Troll.

>Shu Yun
>shit

Absolutely terrifying to play against. Probably his greatest asset is that he says "Target Creature". Shu Yun can double strike for insane damage with a single prowress trigger, your Gisela can wipe someone off the face of the earth because you countered the defender's removal spell, or any creature on the field can get double strike.

You just don't see him nearly as often as every other jeskai commander because Narset exists.

Why are people so shit that they don't think infinite-mana wincon Partner is easily the best commander of this year?

Missed the last thread, I think Mangara might be the right deck. How do I build it? Secret tech?
I'm that darettifag that still hasn't decided on another deck

I tried, it's honestly just bad. Kentaro is MVP though, and I suggest Alesha if you are going to build samurai.

As some kind of hyper combo MUD deck I guess, since mono-worthless is terrible.

Obviously. If you cascade into a spell that has cascade itself, it will trigger again, but doesn't do anything with Storm. If you want things to cascade reliably, you cast from hand, since Yidris only applies for those spells.

I'm here! Generating immense butthurt with skittles

Sup bruh. Indestructible a shit.

How do mah boys deal with artifacts and enchantments? Give some advice to some of the newer mono black players out there

Pretty much only way in black is Gate to Phyrexia, but thankfully you can run some of th3 artifacts, like Disk and Spine.
Post tfw you make Blightsteel "don't hit yourself" with Kiku

Hey Veeky Forums!
I'm interested in building my first Commander deck, and I wanted to ask for suggestion as to what commander/deck to build.
It needs to be as budget as possible, too.
I know the sites in the OP must have all the info I need, but ironically enough, Veeky Forums is the only site I can access at work. :(

Look up legendary creatures, then build around one you like.

this is just my opinion, but cards like spine of ish and scour from existence are trash. don't bother with 1-for-1 artifact/enchantment removal in monoblack. instead, put in your staple tutors and then some mass removal. nevi disk, all is dust, the new boompile, etc. then clear the board whenever the non-creature bullshit gets too obnoxious. and since you're monoblack and they're not, they'll probably gas out and you probably won't.

pretty much this: Though if you tell us what direction of colours/effects you want to go in we could help you a bit here.

Anything that is fun to play, really.
I don't plan to compete or anything, just play with friends who have really budget decks.
One creature I thought would be really cool to build around is Mizzix of the Izmagnus, but I'm open to any suggestions.
Hey, that looks like it would be fun, too.