Connected to SeattleNet...

>Welcome back to /srg/, chummer
>Last Viewed Files:
>Spooky Scary Skeletons.sim
>Dangers and Treachery: Halloweeners.trid
>Dancing Vampire.ARO
>LiveLeak: Dubai SK HQ being TP'd by Hestaby.trid

Personal Alerts
* Your Current Rep Score: 666 (89% Positive)
* You have 1 new private message, titled 'Yo chummer, there's a Halloween party at Macy's. You coming?'
* Your Chummer > Tools > Options books list has been unchecked github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
* Cloud File Storage: pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
* Running "Trick or Treat".BTL...

>Throw straight
>Conserve rolls
>And never, ever go dressed as a zombie near a ghoul nest

SPOOPY EDITION

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
www75.zippyshare.com/v/91421583/file.html
shortwaverad.io/Critsquad/
archive.4plebs.org/tg/
a.pomf.cat/inwoxy.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This theme really works well with the /srg/ intro.

>Mr Johnson hires you to steal a prototype in a AA corp lab.
>He provides extensive equipment, some pass-codes for the outside security, and a detailed plan of the building, highlighting an escape route through the sewers.
>The run goes smoothly, all intel checks out
>Security is aggressive but not to the point of damaging the building, they mostly use stun weapons and gas.
>When you drop down in the sewers, security stops chasing you
>The hatch seals shut behind you
>As you hear a snarl down the tunnels, you notice sensors and security equipment that's not on the plans.
>Actually the plans don't look like anything that's down there.
>You stumble upon the gnawed bones of metahumans, and realize that the sewers have been converted into a containment area for some sort of paracritter
>Mr Johnson actually works for the AA corps, they know that the sewers makes an ideal escape route for runners. They decided to plug the leak, and use the opportunity to test their latest combat critters.

Have you ever done a spooky run?

Do you chummers remember if 5e had the Quality that let Mundanes astrally perceive ?

It doesn't.

And sadly, I can't get the custom_qualities.xml file to grant my character the Assensing skill.

Probably because you shouldn't.
That's awakend territory. Unless you throw arround essence free ware (in that case, wrong game) you shouldn't do stuff like that.

If you really want to be able to perceive astrally, you HAVE to be some kind of magical active. Minimum would be Adept with 1 Magic and the Astral Perception Power. You should not be able to go lower. From a mechanical standpoint, if you don't have an attribute or have it at 0, you can't learn or use skills linked to it. If you choose Priority E for Magic, that was your choice, no magic stuff for you. When burned out characters can't rise from Magic 0 to 1 again, neither should anyone else post chargen.

Good.

how about Telestrian Shamus drone?

>because you can be a drooling idiot who wouldn't notice a troll if he wore bright clothes and wore a sign "I AM A TROLL"
>But who can notice EVERYTHING on the astral with just a passing glance because he can manipulate magic really well

How the fuck would you manage that? Your Intuition can't get to 0 barring effects that usually kill you if that happens, iirc.

yeah fucked up there
thought they changed it to MAG for some reason
sorry chummers

>* Your Chummer > Tools > Options books list has been unchecked github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
>4th Edition
>Assorted Cheat-sheets and reference guides: www75.zippyshare.com/v/91421583/file.html

I was unable to get to get this download to work, even when clicking the correct button, it would lose connection to the server.

Is anyone else having this problem?

works fine for me
Scriptblocker?

I don't have one on this machine yet.
maybe it's my connection.

>have to go back to my shadowrun game this Sunday
>simple snatch and grab with optional negotiation
>know that my team is going to do everything the hardest way possible and create a ton of problems for us with Aztech
>but not before we waste 4 hours planning an attack that we wont use

Ah, fair.

What's the best way to deal with Drain if you need to cast spells at a high Force?

What edition?

high WIL and your other Attribute
High BOD to increase your Physical CM
for direct Combat Spells "Witness My Hate"

>If you really want to be able to perceive astrally, you HAVE to be some kind of magical active.
You could be a pixie, iirc.
You could, but you shouldn't.

>Player has 1 edge
>They burn it to survive a gunfight.
>Then immediately spend 5 karma to get it back to 1.
>They state there's no rule saying edge can't go to 0 so he can just keep 5 karma ready to burn on a moment's notice
Even if the minimum was 1 and he had to spend 10 to get out of jail free, I can't help but feel this is a but cheaty. He's spending limited karma that could upgrade other things, sure, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Should I try to rule against this little exploit out roll with it since he's willing to pay? What is the edge minimum, anyway?

>What edition
SR5.

In this case, Fire Aura.

Last time, I promise.

Alright, I've got some shameless self promotion here. My friends and I have started a Shadowrun actual play podcast called Crit Squad, based heavily on the animated Suicide Squad movie, not the Jared Leto one. Why listen to this one? Because we sound designed the fuck out of it. It sounds like a radio play with some dice rolls. And since I know a lot of you don't get the chance to play, it might scratch that itch, at least a little. And it's not a bunch of neckbeards talking on skype, it's actually rather RP heavy. With real live actors! You can find episodes on whatever you use to listen to podcasts, or at shortwaverad.io/Critsquad/

Episodes are released every other Thursday, since we're busy and don't get to play a whole lot. And it takes a while to add everything in, sound-wise. If you dig it, a review on itunes does wonders on our end, and it only has to be three words long.

End of ad. Commence return to /srg/

If he wants to keep using his extra life instead of learning new skills, having more than 1 edge, or improving anything else about his character with the karma, I say let him.

kys

I've brought this up before on some earlier threads, but given this thread's intro it seems fitting to mention it again.

For my group's new shadowrun campaign, we've decided to all play as vampires. So far we've got the face who runs a Halloween costume shop, the rigger who owns an ice cream truck to lure in victims, the MysAd with amnesia (at some level don't we all wish we were Dervish?), and another character that hasn't been worked out yet.

Any thoughts on how to have this work without being really edgelord and retarded?

How would you justify or play around having more than one decker in your party?

excepting the obvious solutions of killing myself, not being retarded, or just playing Vampire like a normal person

Make one a technomancer with some points leadership and a gaggle of sprites and you can wipe the floor with any Matrix problems

Use reagents to set the limit so as to not exceed your Magic. That way it's all stun.

>What's the best way to deal with Drain if you need to cast spells at a high Force?
>SR5.

I don't know. Sorry.

Gonna be a lot of focus on getting food and not getting caught, and a lot less on running I think. I get the feeling it'll end up like What We Do in the Shadows

How does the graffiti culture develop in the sixth world? I want to introduce a character whose background is closely related to graffiti and I was kinda envisioning it as a regression to the close-knit 70-80s graffiti culture, but I'd love to see some official material that adresses it

Closest reference to graffiti culture in a somewhat cyberpunk environment is pic related - corporations and government and artists running low and hitting hard to make a statement

corporations and government cleaning the streets*

It wouldn't be very 'punk' without malcontents doing grafitti for profit, fun, or recreation, would it chummer?

Yeah I mean I know it's prevalent and all, at least I know it's THERE, I'd just like to take a deeper look at the things surrounding it

I don't think there's any official material on graffiti artists. But I think that the idea of a return to the 80's culture is pretty rad, and would fit the setting.

apparently AR (augmented reality) art and symbols anchored with FRID tags are a part of graffiti now. Create something, link it to and RFID tad and stick it somewhere by itself or in conjunction with a meatspace art component.

my friends and i are planning on learning shadowrun soon.
what are the strengths and weaknesses of the different editions and which does /srg/ recommend we start with?

3rd edition and earlier are only recommended for new people if you care more about retro feel in setting and tropes.

4th and 5th edition are more accessible and have more up to date tools created to help you get though chargen.

Such as Chummer 4e and Chummer5 which are both linked in the pastebin in the OP post for this thread.

thanks, what does chummer mean?

Chummer both refers to a character building program, and is a friendly way of adressing people.

okay, thanks for the help.

I mean, Burn Edge to Not Die is explicitly a function of Edge so it's not really an exploit.

I wouldn't let him spend Karma in the middle of a session to get it back though, I'd make him wait until downtime.

What are the best "multicultural pot" settings? Good places to lay low with enough side interests that would bring a shitload of people from all over the world without it looking weird or hamfisted

Hong Kong is already on my list, but I'm not too fond of it.

We did a game of Dread with our characters as a Halloween special, going out into the woods to break up a bunch of squatters. Turns out it was a wendigo and his servitors, everyone died or became mindslaves but the rigger, who did some amazing pulls and napalmed half of Salish-Sidhe.

Non-canon but a lot of fun. We will have to talk with the adept about how willing he was to start eating the rest of us and give tips to the GM on how he could run the party to ground, though.

Ordo Maximus enforcers/agents, but that is probably full edgelord. Honestly, just embrace being the kind of faggot who likes describing in gory detail every feeding session, or hangs out behind the school smoking clove cigarettes and talking about Darkness.

Alternatively, you could be regular runners, but hooked into a secret Infected Matrix host (group contact). Monsters get together, swap tips on keeping a low profile, have a daily thread tracking De Vries, identify good spots for feeding binges, etc. You sometimes get work through that to kill wannabe Van Helsings, help Tamanous meet quotas, etc.

Seattle.

If Seattle is a little too cliche for you, maybe think about Istanbul. (Renamed back to Constantinople after breaking from Turkey)

Street Samurai halloweener who really doesn't want the gang to realize his plastic vampire fangs are more then just him really getting into character.

He goes full cheesy dracula, bad accent, red silk-lined cape and everything, with plastic caps on his real fangs, just to trick them. That's pretty good.

Kind of a new GM here - one of my players wants to play a more pacifist type character that can still defend himself but keep away from lethal means, what kinda weapon should I give him? A taser might work, but I'm guessing there are better crowd control alternatives.

He doesn't rely on magic either.

Is he taking Pacifist, at either level?

For general non-lethal, Pepper Punch grenades and gel rounds in your preferred regular firearm. Tasers are more flavourful, but kinda shit unless you spend a lot of time walking through MAD sensors and need a totally legal weapon on you at all times.

You can always as the gm home brew some super tasers of your own if you want.

Hey, what's this Shadowrun: Anarchy thing I keep hearing about?

Is it really a rules lite Shadowrun? Is it everything I've ever wanted? Dare I dream that it's metaplot agnostic?

3/10, would never trust anything the Johnson came up with. Also MCT/MCT, that sounds like one of their Johnsons.

No, no, and no. It's a shitty attempt at a rules-light system that ends up being too long and unclear. Now if you're a shill, fuck off.

as far as I know a pixie can never be munade apart from being burnt out (for those str 5 cyberarms so you can handle the recoild from your heavy weapons, you know the drill), in which case one would use the ability to perceive the astral world. If you started with a dual natured character and take priority E magic (atm I don't even know if you are allowed to do that, I see no reason why you should be able to do that) then you must expect the get whacked from a DM that values the balance in any way. With a pixie I can live, those things are tiny, sought after bodily weak target practice for skeet shooting pros in every corpsec worth a dime, but shit like this... nah man, go away.

I once played as vampire, who tried to live as normal life as possible. He had day job at magic boutique where he assisted his mentor at running it who also happened to be vampire.

He started running to provide funds to the boutique and to help Puyallups small, but friendly vampire population in living.

Nairobi. As the planet's primary spaceport with the Kilimanjaro mass driver, there's all sorts of people there.

I refuse to accept your hollywoodized picture of Glory, she's supposed to look pale and like she's been up all night high/ sobbing you PHILISTINE!

CAN'T YOU FIND BEAUTY IN THOSE IN THE SIXTH WORLD WHO SUFFER, user!?

If you're doing it over the internet, Roll20 also has a pre-made character sheet for 5th edition with handy click-to-roll features, but not for 4th.

Fuck you gimme a PDF. Shadowrun is already too long and unclear.

I only have two pictures of Glory and this one's art style is potatoey.

Find it yourself, Shitler.

Not that hard to go back through previous threads.

You need higher quality Glory pics then, my friend.

>believing shills come on Veeky Forums
ignore this tinfoil-hat-wearing moron.

It does pay to just try to find it yourself though, user. And it's not that bad. Not rules-lite enough for my liking but leagues more streamlined than 5e.

Personally, I like the crunch

I've long wanted to have an NPC appear that's a vampire night shift cashier at the local gas station. It's a nice shift for him and helps keep the gangers from trying to rob the place.

Share them.

Also, I already googled for it and didn't find anything, except some Reddit threads and others of people jerking off "OMG more Shadaran", and pdfs of an old Horizon centered supplement called Anarchy Subsidized.

Actually, I did try 4plebs and apparently this thread shows up on Google, and so do a bunch of 7chan threads begging for it, but the old posts where it got shared here didn't.

don't use google for searching old Veeky Forums threads.
Use this.
archive.4plebs.org/tg/

In case anyone else wants it

a.pomf.cat/inwoxy.pdf

I know, I already did I tend to forget the archive exists, to be honest. Even though there are like three of them.

Whoever's in charge, throw this into the mediafire and mega, so we don't have to clog up another thread with "Hey guys, where can I find Anarchy??", we can just tell them to look in the pastebin

Do you have any opinions on 4e over 5e?
I have 4e Anniversary edition, and played a lovely campaign of it some years ago. I'd like to run a new game for some friends, but I remember finding the system a little clunky when it came to things like hacking and the more esoteric bits of magic.
Is 5e an improvement in this or any other regard?

>mediafire
>mega

disgusting.

I wish you guys has markers on the play timeslines of your episodes for when various tages of the session start. that way I could skip though pregame banter, then come back to it after listening to the session proper.

Because into banner always kills PnP RPG lets play recordings for me but it can be fun to listen to after listening to the session.

I never finished Dragonfall and I haven't played it in months, so I'm going to start over. What should my character be?

Last time I made a Rigger with a lot of melee. The same thing I made in Dead Man's Switch, which got me through that game fine, but didn't work as well in Dragonfall. I wanted to essentially be a Ranger. Sending my drone out and then swordfighting. But that took a lot of drugs to up my actions.

I'm thinking of being an Adept with a bit of 'ware, because I must have a robot arm if I'm playing Cyberpunk.

Also, it's a shame, too. I think I was right around when The Kreuzbasser gets attacked

I'll talk to our sound guy and see if that's possible

If you want to skip the drugs, you can use AP boosting cybernetics. Still costly though

It is there, you're all just huge faggots.

What spirits would you guys use if you wanted to do a Secular Humanism tradition (is there one hidden in some obscure book?)

5th edition. Man, guardian, task, and guidance seem like the natural picks as the most human spirits, but that's only four. Maybe beast or plant for the last one to stand for man's domination of nature? Not sure which spell category should go with each one either.

Hacking is imo better in 5e (more streamlined, though some people keep picking at choices that were obviously made for rules benefit and aren't totally coherent in the fiction), and it actually makes a dedicated decker a viable archetype again, instead of someone to laugh at while everyone and their mother uses agents. Limits stop lots of the cheese.

On the other hand, the books have some fucking awful editing. They're slowly fixing things now, but it's still not good in that regard. Play with lots of reference stuff like the Superbook.

Hi /srg/

With a new copy of the street grimore on my desk i started to wonder while reading the new rituals.

So Adepts can attune an animal to them, and even give them their? powers.

Now the thing with the animal qi-foci is a bit unclear to me, do i need to have the power in question for the foci, or can create a power completely unrelated to my adept ?

Also, what are good powers to give to a feathered/furry friend ? most things i could think of were stuff like, make the dog bite a little harder or make the horse a bit more resistant to damage. But what came also to my mind was the elemental body power. Usually EB is deemed to tiring to use because of its high drain. But having the option to share that power with other animals opens a few options in my eyes.

>Canaries sweeping down on corpsec, while they are made of living flame and setting the sec aflame.

What are other possibilities?

How did street samurais came to be? At what point did they say "hey let's bring back this ancient code of honor" and reinstated it in the western world?

And most importantly, why the fuck are they "samurai" and not "ronin"?

>Me again
I wish I knew what the abilities actually did. So many things say "you get some ability" without actually saying what that ability does.

Are there laser weapons in shadowrun? Are they good? Are they actually obtainable or are they just "one in a lifetime steal from an ARES run where you almost die" kinda shit

That 4e quality doesn't let mundanes astrally perceive either. It grants you a Magic score of 1 which can only be used for astral perception (and which gets reduced as normal by having 'ware).

The equivalent in 5e would be a Magic 1 Adept who spends his entire 1 PP on the Astral Perception power. It's literally the exact same thing.

You're welcome.

>Are there laser weapons in shadowrun?
Yes
>Are they good?
Not in the slightest
>Are they actually obtainable
Yes but you don't want to

Yes, made by Ares
>Are they good?
They would be okay if they used the standard skills to fire, but they require an Exotic Ranged Weapon skill
>Are they actually obtainable?
Yes, look at Run & Gun (and there's one in Hard Targets as well)

>What's the best way to deal with Drain if you need to cast spells at a high Force?
Platelet Factories and a Pain Editor. The ability to remove 1 point of damage every time you take 2+ Physical Drain, and the ability to ignore all wound penalties short of full-on death, are the main effects worth losing 1 point of Essence for, as a mage.

New York for North America.

London for Europe.

Johannesburg for Africa.

New York has more languages spoken than any other city in the world, and the cultural and ethnic diversity to go with it, in a fundamentally immigrant city; some of its immigrant communities are even more true to their culture than their former homelands - and there's more Maltese people in New York now than there are on Malta. London is a melting pot of every culture originally colonized by an empire/commonwealth that stretched across the literally entire world, and as the financial center of most of the world with easy access to mainland Europe is ripe as fuck for shadowruns. Joburg would be diverse looking at African tribes/ethnicities alone, but when you consider the white descendents of a half dozen European colonial powers, economic immigrants from all over the Indian ocean, and the corporate interests that have seen people transplanted from all over the world, it's among the most diverse places on Earth.

And then there's Metropole in South America, Hong Kong in Asia, and fuckall in Australia because Australia hates immigrants almost as much as it hates its natives.

For real, though, can someone give me the skinny on Anarchy so I know if I should bother reading it?

I'm mainly hoping it's a more stripped down Shadowrun that I could use for games without the metaplot setting baggage. Is the caster supremacy and anti-aug attitude still there? Did they use an existing third party system and then shove Essence into it?
I wonder how well Shadowrun would do in Powered by the Apocalypse...

What about optics?

5e has some bad editing, but the rules are just flatly better than 4e's, as far as gameplay and balance is concerned. The one thing keeping people from making the switch to 5e for a long time was the lack of content compared to 4e, but with the release of things like Chrome Flesh and even Rigger 5.0 5e's more or less at equity, and about to overtake 4e in that regard.

Yep.

>Are they good?
Only the absurdly-heaviest one, and even then only when mounted on a drone/vehicle so that it has a wired power supply. The absurdly-heaviest one, though, is pretty close to being the best weapon in the game at disabling vehicles and punching through cover, though.

>Are they actually obtainable or are they just "one in a lifetime steal from an ARES run where you almost die" kinda shit
You can get them at chargen with a Quality, post-chargen if your Face makes a really good roll, or post-chargen if you're willing to drop 100k on picking one up to benefit from the availability rules.

>What about optics?
Also good with whatever fractional essence you have left, but for a character archetype that takes a trickle of Stun damage just through normal, non-combat use of their archetype, there's no better 'ware than a Pain Editor and Platelet Factories.

At Standard Grade and with no Biocompatibility, you can get a Pain Editor, Platelet Factories, and still have .5 Essence to fuck around with, though, so it's not like you even have to make a choice between one or the other.

I'm about to start playing Hong Kong. Is it like Dragonfall where there are NPCs who can hack? Or is there a specific class I should be?

And if you're willing to go down to Essence 4 on a mage (I wouldn't be, unless I took Exceptional Attribute Magic, but whatevs) you could get Platelet Factories, a Pain Editor, maximum-rating Cybereyes, and a single tricked-out Cyberarm for exactly 2 Essence at Standard Grade.

A single tricked out cyberarm is a lot better for mages than people would think at first, too. The +1 Physical box is really helpful, getting +3 Armor is absolutely fantastic, and having 9 Strength and 9 Agility where it counts really can't be overestimated, especially if you pick up a good weapon focus (or have a good weapon focus implanted as a cyberweapon).

Is0bel is a decker, so you're good with her, but she's pretty mediocre as a decker - you'd be better off making your own decker

Only thing missing from the main crew is a mage, as Gobbet only has utility shaman spells and spirits

There are hireable deckers tho iirc

You can go as whatever, there's a lot of options anyways

Is0bel can hack. Most people find her an obnoxious and unpleasant party member, but I just brought her on every mission as the hacker and was done with it. It's fine.

As for class-picking? Like all singleplayer RPGs you get a lot more mileage out of Charisma than most because you're the party spokesperson. Aside from that, cyberweapons are really fucking good in Hong Kong - in particular the implanted monowhip, which is basically the iconic weapon of that game. Invest in Body enough to get it and you won't be disappointed.

>where there are NPCs who can hack
yes

Oi, oi, if people are answering Hong Kong questions, what about my Dragonfall questions from earlier?
I'm currently going with Decker primary, and lots of Charisma. I'm not sure whether I want melee or ranged, though. I'm fond of being the front line melee person in RPGs, but I hear guns are best, particularly SMGs. But can I get away with being a Street Samurai who hacks? And will I really need to go all-in on the hacking? I don't really remember much hacking stuff coming up last time I played.