That Guy

That Guy thread

>playing PF years ago
>mind control a giant, spell lasts one week
>party debating whether mind controlling an evil giant to do good is itself an evil act
>say I don't care, we're friends now
>next session jokingly bring in a prop crayon drawing of my character and his new best friend, signed by my character
>GM unhappy I have this master blaster shit going on, because having extra muscle was cutting our usual multi-hour combats in half
>tries to separate us by making us go into a town where my bro will be attacked on sight
>tell him to wait in the forest, I'll come back for him later
>CN rogue asks what the giant does while I'm away
>oh, you know, mostly sits in the corner and drools
>"Okay, I slit his fucking throat before we leave for town."
>GM allows it, doesn't give me a chance to stop it or resist, says I can't attack the rogue either
>player even tears up the prop drawing

I still wonder if I was That Guy for doing something unorthodox and still didn't pick up on how this might annoy the rogue or if he's That Guy for going out of his way to fuck with me. The campaign fell apart shortly thereafter because the rogue also slit the throat of an important NPC, but I kept playing till then.

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/dominate-person
amazon.com/Mouse-Guard-Roleplaying-Game-2nd/dp/1608867560/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No, you weren't That Guy at all. Some (usually newer) GMs always have problems with players doing things they did not prepared for at all. In the first campaign I played in I ended up doing something similar to you and the GM acted the exact same way. The second my monster friend was "off screen" he turned up dead.

If it was within the rules of what your character can do, you should've been allowed to do it. Telling him to wait in the forest would've been a good enough workaround for me. Letting your rogue one shot him without any sort of combat encounter is petty nonsense.

looks like a combination of a few things.
That GM: Is a cuck who thinks multi hour long combats are fun, and is actually anti-fun by the looks of it.
That Party: Opinionated and cancerous understanding of ethics. Probably argues mechanics half the time if it doesn't favor them
That Guy: The rogue is worst one of all. Probably Tres this shit all the time.

Cast speak with dead.

>GM allows it, doesn't give me a chance to stop it or resist, says I can't attack the rogue either
>says I can't attack the rogue

What the fuck game are you fags playing where you don't have freedom over your own actions? Leave immediately. At best you're being dragged down by a bunch of clueless rollplayer cucks, at worst you're one of them and you don't deserve to be on this board.

>playing 5e
>get into dungeon that we were TOLD has lots of traps
>party goes in with no attempt to plan and two are dead within an in-game hour
>say that maybe we should get a formation going and not be idiots
>get a formation going and proceed slowly in for all but three rotations, then ranger goes back to fast pace and breaks formation
>ranger keeps triggering traps and is almost dead
>refuse to heal telling him, once again to get into formation
>see a long hallway and attempt to perceive any traps
>ranger just saunters forward and I fall back, wait behind a corner, and say I ready to sigh when he dies
>ranger "Dude traps are a part of the game, if we die from one then it's just apart of the game."
>They are a part of the dungeon, yes, but dying to one is only a part of it if you allow your dumbfuckery to let it. Is your character sporting a 5 INT?
>"No."
>Then stop playing as if he does and give an inkling of care for your own mortality.
>"Fuck this, don't know why you're getting all butthurt."
>he then turned the corner and died to a barrage of darts

On the plus side his corpse was of major use, as it was used to continually trigger traps throughout the rest of the dungeon.

I think we can all safely assume that the roque is a sneaky motherfucker and rolled for his sneak checks.
There is a difference between freedom of actions and blatant metagaming

>"Okay, I slit his fucking throat before we leave for town."

He did it before they left. OP probably was there and saw it.

This kind of rollplay/rules lawyering slog was what ultimately drove me from PF, playing it with these guys just gave me headaches. I've since grown to like Mouse Guard, Ryuutama, etc. because they're much lighter on rules and we get more stuff done per hour.

It was before we left and my character was still there. No sneaking.

>that guy who won't fucking cooperate with the rest of the party
There's a lot of shitty things you can do in a tabletop game, but I think this is the cardinal sin of That Guydom.

On the other hand I can see how this kind of game would become tedious.

This is pretty minor for That Guy. Sometimes you have to let people make stupid mistakes so they can just sit around making a new character while you get to play in the now mostly trap free dungeon.

He's mainly hurting himself with this

>Tearing up the drawing

Fuck that guy

Find something he loves and destroy it before his eyes.

Embrace your revenge and let it's power flow through you.

If this had happened recently I'd have reccomended you fucking mind control the cunty rouge and then make him slit his own throat. When no one's looking of course. Give him a taste of what it's like to have all free will stripped from you unfairly. I haven't played pathfinder however so I don't know if that would've been possible.

At risk of sounding like a butthurt PF defender, that's less of a problem with the system and more with the people. PF just attracts more of those types of players because it's a big name with lots of crunch.

That said, Mouse Guard is fantastic and I'm glad you're enjoying yourself with it. I wish I could find a group willing to try it. ;_;

Unfortunately "self-destructive commands are not carried out."

d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/dominate-person

PF mind control generally allows a victim to break free if you command them to do anything obviously suicidal. Of course, this also means that by RAW the GM should have allowed the giant to defend himself from the throat-slitting.

I really only had one that guy experience. And thankfully it wasn't even that bad . It was the first time trying out the iron kingdoms RPG he was just a month power gamer which is great when no one knows the setting and he's able to pull off bunkers bs it probably isn't legal. Hes anice guy though

I really have to disagree. I think PF's mechanics do encourage this kind of game and this kind of behavior. Since I started playing games with more cooperative mechanics, 3.PF's flaws have really shone through.

First and foremost, it places you at the utter mercy of the GM and their pre-conceived story. I've grown to appreciate PbtA's adage of "Play to see what happens" and discouraging excessive prep. This is compounded by the fact that you rely entirely on the GM for XP and loot, which most characters rely on to play competently.

PF requires lots and lots of math because it has lots and lots of rules for even the simplest things. I like games that encourage the GM to use a blanket rule, like 5E's advantage/disadvantage, to model these circumstances.

I also find the five hour pre-encounter planning phase to be tedious, especially because it ALWAYS falls apart. Games like Blades in the Dark that give you a kind of flashback mechanic make your characters seem more like professionals.

The PF character sheet itself is pretty telling too: there's a little space for a couple details like "age" and hair color, but there's no room for who they are as a person. The biggest sections of the sheet are for the massive skill and spell lists, and most of the sheet is taken up by combat stats. There's nothing like Burning Wheel's beliefs, goals and instincts.

And that really is my biggest gripe about PF: so much of the game, from the character sheet to the core book to all the supplements Paizo puts out to even the discussion of the game are about combat. Combat is the vast, vast majority of the game, and it's not even especially visceral or compelling, it's broken down into discrete algebra problems. You generally can't even advance your character without tons of combat, because XP is calculated based on combat!

Wait, there's like a legit Mouse Guard RPG now?

I read two of the graphic novels back when I was a kid, and only just recently saw someone mention it again on Veeky Forums. You're telling me there's a whole unique system for playing little squeaky badasses now??

amazon.com/Mouse-Guard-Roleplaying-Game-2nd/dp/1608867560/

Very fun, very well-reviewed. Based on Burning Wheel, but don't let that scare you: it has been stripped down to a very fast and easy to understand system.

The party create guardsmice and undertake missions to protect other mice.

sounds like your group fucking hates you user

you might be that guy, or your entire group is that guy

>group of five inside the BBEG's lair
>trapped in a room where the ceiling is slowly descending on us
>only way out is a thick, metal-braced wooden door
>we all start hacking away at it but it's clear we won't make much progress
>paladin tries to ram it with his shoulder and it budges a little
>people getting desperate
>obnoxious elf druid says he has an idea
>he can transmute flesh to wood
>the only spell he has left
>he uses it on my dwarf
>I'm now wood
>the assholes pick my character up and uses him to ram open the door
>once out they realize they have no way of turning me back
>I'm declared dead since they can't carry me with them

Very good That Guy episode, but why didn't the druid wild shape into an elephant or something?

I don't think a character sheet should REQUIRE an area to put your character backstory but I do see what you are saying.

As much as people bitched about 4e and it's becoming a tabletopMMOlelkekwew that removed emphasis on Roleplay, I did have more experience both listening to podcasts and playing 4e with fun character interactions than I ever have in PF because I'm too worried my fucking "Sub optimal build with trap feats" is dogshit and going to sit in the corner during combat as a giant target- and all my party members yelling about how I'm useless and not a credit to team- despite being a face man.

Probably already used it up earlier doing some random bullshit based on the fact he even though using Flesh to Wood on a party member was a good idea.

I do agree with the majority of your points even though I keep coming back to pf despite its flaws, it just really does seem to encourage that mindset too much.

But one thing that I got to disagree on is how you say even the paths have a focus on combat with no way to progress without combat to get so. There are quite a few situations in them were it will tell the gm to award the players Xp for bypassing a encounter as if they bested the creatures in combat. and I am pretty sure somewhere in the rules thinking like that is encouraged too.

Sadly like you said, it is so tailor designed to combat simulating that most folk would never even notice that suggestion anyway. Not to mention it still rarely offers suggestions for rewarding people who do things that don't even rely on interacting with nods or enemies. Spent forever crafting magical weapons for your teammates while they went about slaying things? Well unless your gm goes by fixed Xp for everyone rules, then u are screwed.

Another option for the paths, that sadly is a little harder to do in home brew campaigns without some more planning, is just get rid of xp entirely. Good lord once we started that, so much immediately improved and the gm felt a lot more enthusiastic. We just level up based on the progress in the path.

If a character sheet doesn't have space to write down a person's character and focuses on combat stats, should it be called a combat sheet?

Another thing that frustrates me with Pathfinder is its insane overemphasis on combat causes it to cross-contaminate its combat and roleplay aspects through traits. Even your character's background becomes a mechanized combat bonus, and you only have so many possible backgrounds to choose from.

Every game of PF I ever played was like a fantasy riff on Revenge of the Nerds, because just about everyone - from the fighter to the wizard - had been bullied as a child (+2 INITIATIVE) but was still dangerously curious (+1 USE_MAGIC_DEVICE).

Why would they not use it on the fucking wooden door?

The spell is flesh to wood, not wood to flesh. Using flesh to wood on a wooden door would have no effect.

The thing I ran into with traits was every Magus was related to the guy who made the spell Shocking Grasp.
Dude was prolific.

Only time my group has done traits and flaws, I ended up being the weak daughter of illiterate fishmongers pretending to be the weak son of illiterate fishmongers.

If your group isn't optimizing for combat, they are playing Pathfinder wrong.

>454 ▶
>
>If your group isn't optimizing for combat, they are playing Pathfinder wrong.
I played in a social campaign in Pathfinder one time.
4 hour session with only Diplomacy and Sense Motive checks. We had incredibly powerful bodyguards, so never had to worry about fights.
It was a mess.

It was someone who wasn't the usual DM running that game and we usually play 3.5 with the DM giving us crazy shit like templates or letting us build our own classes.
I run 5e when it's my turn to GM because I know it the best.

> door too strong to sufficiently damage with actual weapons
> weak enough to knocked open with a bizarre, incredibly awkward lump of wood
> somehow can't take dwarf with them despite clearly being light enough to carry