Passable Veeky Forums series?

What series is Veeky Forums currently watching/reading/listening to?

I'm in need of some decent Veeky Forums-related media, whether it's anime, manga, western cartoons, webcomics, podcasts, TV shows etc.

I've already gone through the wiki's recommended pages (which are in sore need of review and contributions from modern Veeky Forums), and I'm still left wanting.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EwNcTwlfX0o
eagleordinary.smackjeeves.com/comics/2028385/chapter-1/
oglaf.com/cumsprite/
ironteethserial.com/
royalroadl.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=VemrhM9Y35M
youtube.com/watch?v=juWAvmuefyE
youtube.com/watch?v=xddCBE_3fBE
youtube.com/watch?v=SG_0fak-7y4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Helk?

KonoSuba is pretty great.
I liked Overlord but I understand it has a pretty mixed reception.
Have you watched Wakfu? If not, go watch Wakfu. Then watch Dofus if you want a little more of that.
If you're looking for sci-fi, there's always Legends of the Galactic Heroes. That'll keep you busy for a while.
If you don't want something that extreme, go watch Space Battleship Yamato. The original, not 2199.

As it's Halloween I gotta mention Over the Garden Wall. Little under 2 hours of your time and worth every minute.

gobling slayer, pretty edgy but it is retarded edgy, so i like it
Dorohedoro, nice crazy setting with interesting characters that can be used for npcs.

if you are looking for cyberpunk inspiration there is stuff like akira and gantz

Wrath of the Dragon God was the only D&D film adaptation I cared for. Extra attention was paid to making the characters accurately reflect their respective classes. And none of them are your typical fantasy film Mary Sues. They often enough fail at their tasks and suffer gruesome consequences for it. It's definitely worth checking out.

Has anyone seen the Shannara series on Netflix yet? I'm a bit scared to watch it in case they've fucked it up.

I haven't read the books, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but in a vacuum it was pretty mediocre.

You should try out One Punch Man, it's fantastic.

>Watching
HBO's Westworld
>Reading
Joe Abercrombie's Half the World
>Listening
Welcome to Night Vale

I'm currently rewatching record of lodoss war. It's an old series based on a DnD campaign with all the cheesy and lame fantasy chliches that made me fall in love with this genre in the first place. And Deedlit. Oh Deedlit.

>I'm in need of some decent Veeky Forums-related media, whether it's anime, manga, western cartoons, webcomics, podcasts, TV shows etc.

The French made a bunch of those. Lotsa hilarious shit like: "Let's be a party WITHOUT A HEALER".

or "Let's play a swashbucking treasure hunt based on 17th century comedies and operas. Anthro PCs are okay."

I'm guessing you're talking about the OVAs. I fucking love that first episode. It's such a great introduction to the characters and the setting.

>Anthro PCs are okay

Nigga Reynard is okay anywhere.

and "My character rolls for intimidation during every interaction. Bring on the horrors from beyond the grave."

Actually a pretty decent D&D film. It's hokey and low-budget, the acting is bad, and the writing is clumsy, but somehow it's always a fun watch in spite of that.

I don't remember offhand what's on the wiki's recommended list, but here's a couple of other western suggestions.
>TV
Babylon 5 makes a good model for a space politics game. It's internally consistent with most of its "soft" scifi elements being drawn from the same One Big Lie, and features a lot of good morally grey conflicts (without verging into grimderp "everybody is an asshole" territory). Writing and effects are kind of dated, but if old Star Trek doesn't bother you this shouldn't either.
Farscape and Firefly both do "ragtag adventuring party" type stuff really well. The former puts it in a more traditional space opera setting, while Firefly takes a lower-tech approach and no aliens. Farscape gets special mention for having my favorite TV villain ever.
Gravity Falls is a fun cartoon, it's like Twin Peaks meets the X-Files, for kids.
>Vidya
Mass Effect is a good source of inspiration for writing interesting characters and technology. DON'T draw inspiration from its overarching plot, because that's a clusterfuck.
Souls series is pretty much self explanatory if you're aware of it, and if you're here you probably are.
Deus Ex and Mirror's Edge look at two different types of cyberpunk dystopias in ways that are both very compelling.
>Books
Discworld stands on its own.
The Hyperion Cantos are a great exercise in character development.
Anything by Arthur C. Clarke or Isaac Asimov.

There's also "This is a postapoc waterworld. Win the upcoming world war for your faction with ninja-pirate powers and by manipulating the other side through psychic information war. Or maybe ya all just wanna be heretics and assholes and become drug-runners. IDK."

>I'm guessing you're talking about the OVAs
Well yes, though I'm ready to dive deeper into this. It feels like there is not much classic fantasy out there right now. Do you know if the manga are worth it?

>Deus Ex and Mirror's Edge look at two different types of cyberpunk dystopias in ways that are both very compelling.

Deus Ex is basically: "The militias are in fact right and the heros of the people."

I've read The Grey Witch, The Lady of Pharis, and started reading Chronicles of the Heroic Knight.
The former two are really great, specially The Lady of Pharis.
CotHK is ok.

Thanks, will read them.

Oh, I also read Rune Soldier Louie, which takes place out of Lodoss, in the mainland continent. Pretty funny.

isn't real life Deedlit a murder hobo

The knight died and the Elf pawned off his sword and armour, yes.

I don't know what's on Veeky Forums's rec list, but have some manga.

>Wizard's Soul ~Holy War of Love~
In a world where not-magic is one of the most popular things around, a cute girl plays permission decks and feels miserable about it in order to get her father out of debt. It's pretty fun if you're even remotely knowledgeable about M:tG, or probably any other similar tcg.

>Mahoutskai no Yome
Comfy slice of life about a skeleton and the girl he bought at a slave market learning how to family. Has a European folklore setting that is incredibly appealing.

>Nanatsu no Taizai
Medieval power escalation shonen bullshit. Everybody is overpowered as all hell, which makes for nice entertainment if that is your cup of tea. Doesn't offer much else though.

Has OP already watched Saiunkoku Monogatari?

It's fun. Everybody's struggling so hard to get shit on track again, to quell unrest, secure the roads and streets, end famine and restore good policies, but the Immortals that do hold the reins behind the scene are varying levels of dicks and body-snatchers and only a step away from taking the mantles of the riders of the apocalypse again.

What's worse, most people, which includes a lot of the people who got all the power they need to fuck it over for everybody, don't even believe that they're real.

Maoyū Maō Yūsha?

I've been listening to Last Podcast on the Left a lot recently. It's a horror/true crime/comedy podcast dealing with serial killers, cults, conspiracy theories, the occult and ayy lmaos. Nice inspiration for Call of Cthulhu, Delta Green, Unknown Armies or even Dark Heresy if you want to.
On that subject, watch Twin Peaks, at least season 1 and go on to season 2 if you want. The second's the lesser season, so skip what gets dull.

I'm also partial to the Death Gate Cycle, for an interesting fantasy series with worlds that could clearly be stolen almost entirely.

Otherwise, I'd second Farscape, Gravity Falls, Wakfu, Asimov and Pratchett, all mentioned above.

What the hell, no one mentioned Slayers yet?

Tyranny (it is a video game) is coming out in less than to week. IT is made by Obsidian and you play as a servant of the bog bad. Day9 has about 6 hours of video ob YouTube if you want to se what it is about

I recommend listening to Gloryhammer.

They're powermetal and they're cheesy as fuck, but they sure as hell know how to tell a good story

youtube.com/watch?v=EwNcTwlfX0o

>Last Podcast on the Left

Also good if you want to hear what a man going slowly insane from continually researching aliens sounds like.

I'm currently reading Pyramids by Terry Pratchett for the possibly 10th time.

Before I got sucked into the time sink that is Civilisation 6 I was playing Shadowrun: Dragonfall.

what other podcasts are good for tg?

Other than the lists of Veeky Forums approved games/anime/movies/literature on 1d4chan?

eagleordinary.smackjeeves.com/comics/2028385/chapter-1/

oglaf.com/cumsprite/

The Overlord games from Triumph Studios are magnificent

I also recommend watching Knights of Badassdom.

I've been listening to a lot of podcasts lately. If you want weird shit The Last Podcast on the Left, Blurry Photos, Lore, Thinking Sideways are good inspiration. There's also The Dollop, an American history podcast that basically exists to prove that not only are PCs real but every bit as strange, irresponsible, and destructive in real life as they are in game.

If you want serious historical inspiration Revolutions and its predecessor, The History of Rome, are about exactly what they sound like. Then there's the Myths and Legends podcast, also exactly what it sounds like.

Last there's Hello From The Magic Tavern, a podcast by a man who fell through an portal behind a Burger King into the magical land of Foon and has now set up in a tavern interviewing various denizens of said magical land.

Konosuba is great. A little different than what I was expecting it to be, definitely for the better. It feels like a lighthearted campaign by a group who've been roleplaying together for ages, instead of a more straightforward satire of RPGs.

I'm also keeping up with Sargon of Akkad and co's weekly-ish Cyberpunk game.

It's not the best example of the game ever but it's often fun as fuck to listen to.

Tate no yuusha no nariagari

Follows a classic 4 heroes from the other world but everyone hates the MC because hes an autist. Enjoyable

>Watching
I am currently watching Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash. My group has me run a game based on the setting when they're feeling masochistic.

>Reading
I just finished catching up on Boku no Hero Academia. When not feeling masochistic, my group has me run a Mutants and Masterminds game based on it and it's really fun.

Friends at the Table is a great podcast series. Start at the second season, Counter/Weight, for a sci fi game that is pretty innovative and really fun. The first season is Dungeon World, but has some shitty mic problems, and is using a bad system

that and pic related, who do reviews

Sauce? Reverse image search doesn't help.

Mushishi. Basically folk lore/fairy tales invented by the author in a super atmospheric setting.
The mushi and the way they interact with the world are an amazing way to re-interpet the fae and other monster types. Its OST is top tier for ambient music in campaigns. Its a really good source for ideas if you want the line between natural and supernatural to be heavily blurred in your setting.

That's because the books were pretty mediocre. Just LotR rotated 90 degrees. Some of the world details were neat, like the fact it's our world post magic apocalypse, but otherwise just alright highschool fantasy novels

I'm reading a web novel that updates every saturday.

ironteethserial.com/

This is the north proper, the very knife edge of civilization. Here among the stark mountains and endless forests there are undiscovered treasures, amongst countless unmarked graves. Here monsters stalk the night and outlaws gather. It is the land of the desperate and the foolish. A land of singular wonders and crushing horror…

Donate to our dark fantasy story

All the nameless goblin slave ever wanted was not to be beaten by his masters too much, and to eat as much as he could shove into his mouth when no one was looking.

Instead, he is drugged and whisked away to the far off Iron Teeth Mountains. Will he be able to survive there and evolve into something more than a simple goblin? To stay alive he will have to deal with hordes of deadly monsters, fit in among human bandits, and carve a bloody path through the forests of the North.

However, first he has to get over his crippling fear of trees, and survive in a place where everything considers him to be the perfect size for a quick snack…

Additional info

Mages use magic gems to invoke certain spells and the magic "authority" (The military) tightly guards the secret to make magic gems.

Sloshers are Warriors that drink some magical potion that boosts their speed and strength (sloshers are rare)

Pretty fun story that follows a goblins perspective and his jarring way of seeing life.

Sunday*

>Helck
Muh nigga

Supers: Kamen Rider, Pretty Cure, Ultraman are franchises I'm always following, I recently been into My Hero Academia

Fantasy: Nanatsu no Taizai, Helck, Re:Zero, Overlord, and Magi The Labyrinth of Magic/Adventures of Sinbad are some good shit. Drifters too, it's like Fate but less stupid.

Mindfuckery: Inuyashiki. Read it. Trust me. Also Keyman The Hand of Judgement

I have a cornucopia of shit that I follow I am realizing.

If you want something directly Veeky Forums related, I like listening to the Six Feats Under actual play podcast. So it's listening to people playing RPGs.

The Metabarons. Crazy space opera written by the supreme surrealist madman Jodorowsky and illustrated by the psychedelic but realistic Moebius.

It's a spin off The Incal, an old comic that 40K plargarised was inspired by, and which Jodorowsky and Moebius moved onto after their Dune movie fell apart.

I have gotten into reading web novels because god damn I can't stand most manga tropes.

royalroadl.com/ is where I read most novels.

>Lady of Pharis

Patrician taste.

The show seemed to place a lot of emphasis on the "it is our earth after an apocalypse" thing. Once again, I haven't read the books, but it felt like they took high fantasy and mashed it with 2010s generic young adult post apocalypse books.

This might be a bit tangential to your request but Embric of Wulfhammer's Castle is an excellent (basically VN) RPGmaker game with some soft yuri and lots of Veeky Forums sorts of references

Although the weebs are bringing manga tropes with them to the web novel scene it is pretty easy to filter them out.

Read a web novel where the protagonist was a ww2 German vet that was plugged into a vr machine when he fell into a coma.

All the parts with the main was fucking 9/10 but the side characters were all weeb trash pulled from mangas like beta grandson that fumbles and gets nose bleeds, japanese siblings that have giant tits and their grand father is some yakuza boss.

>I cried

Book of vile darkness was pretty fun too.

Thunderbolt Fantasy made me want to run a game where everyone uses puppets instead of miniatures.

Hah.

It was a hella good series, mostly due to very tightly pulled coils of plot and intrigue. There wasn't faffing about, character interactions were always shedding light on their personalities and hinting at their mysteries.

It starts out decent enough but goes to shit in the end. The girls are hot though.

>Ctrl-F
>No Monstress
Y'all niggas would probably like Monstress.

pirates of darkwater
One word nigga: MONKEYBIRDS

>I have gotten into reading web novels because god damn I can't stand most manga tropes

>web novels
>no manga tropes

>No Dorohedoro in mindfuckery

It's on par with Keyman (technically, the other way around, since it's older).

>google Monstress
>dat art
dam son
Is the story good? I tend to be wary about comics with predominantly female cast, they often come off as too preachy.

Well, there's Five Star Stories that was basically Imperial Knight: the Anime, and the world itself is not centered on protagonis which is kinda unique. Also, fantastic world building where 80s style society and technochivalry all mixed up.

And then there's Appleseed (the original manga one) that was about police brutality, cyborg and high cut leotard babes. Pretty much cyberpunk-y considering its a Shirow's series.

And Roadside Picknick is also a fun ride, called it STALKER but without much shooting.

There's also Biomega, but i think you already know that.

we're talking preach-master jasper of storytelling
the lore is extensively deep, and they give decent dumps in the form of cat historians talking about the world, because cats were the first race.

tl;dr escaped-slave girl with mark of the old gods branded in her chest tries to figure out why she thirsts for flesh and blood and so on, meets a shippo and kicks all sortsa ass.

>And Roadside Picknick is also a fun ride, called it STALKER but without much shooting.
STALKER is straight up based on Roadside Picking

>And Roadside Picknick is also a fun ride, called it STALKER but without much shooting.

dude.
DUDE.

Hey HEY

I just give our anons here a bit light in case of they never heard of it.

No need to get all uptight man.

Also, what y'all think about Patlabor?

They done fucked up. It's a CW twenty-something drama with bad cgi.

Yeah, but that's mostly because the Vermin Lord is a That Guy who decided that since the game is dumb he may as well have as much fun as possible in a group of wanky angsters.

Please read Helck

Been playing Endless Legend and I loved how they mixed in the scifi elements with the fantasy, at least aesthetically. Some of those sticks out way too far however and the fact that even the spacer faction never made a gun despite making even tablets to show how advanced they are is still odd

On the other hand, played Mask of the Betrayer and they just singlehandedly made one the most generic settings in DnD interesting again. The writing was nearly on par with Torment, characters were great albeit a bit less colourful and they made great use of the campaign locations. One of the few things i don't like about it is they just have to tie the game together with the OC, which was a fun yet cliche mess. And how short it felt for an otherwise fantastic campaign
>Deus Ex
not that guy but granted, nobody really knew the true nature of terrorism and militant groups before 9/11. That one was somewhat retconned in the prequels though

I recently read the Crysis 2 tie-in book Crysis Legion.

Its one of the very few examples of narrative from the 1st person that I absolutely loved, this thing is seriously great and you dont need to give a shit about crysis at all to enjoy it. It inspired me to DM a short cyberpunk game and my players loved the shit out of it.

Peter Watts is my edgy spirit animal.

I am quite enjoying Dungeons and Randomness (don't let the name scare you off)

Kill six billion demons

SMT I feel is really underrated for a cyberpunk setting. Anyone else think so or is it just me?

That's half the fun.

Fuck I need more wuxia, could anons point me in the right direction? Also >pic is what follows this

>What you dream of GM:ing
Record of Lodoss War

>What you'll get in a best case scenario
Slayers

>What you'll actually get
Rance

>Tavern Brawls in Planescape.jpg

>Watching
Dark Matter, I've seen people around here say it's bad, but I disagree.
Supernatural, because it has its hooks in me and I just can't quit. But I think it's either gotten better in recent seasons or I've developed a tolerance for the shit bits.
Penny Dreadful, although I'm not too into it and mostly just watching because it's gotten a decent amount of buzz that made me curious.
>Reading
Tarzan, five books in right now and enjoying them greatly.
Kino no Tabi, love everything about it but always put off reading more because I'm almost done with what's translated and don't want it to end.
Warlord by Mike Grell, a wonderful old sword and sorcery comic about a Pellucidar-like world.

P~E~R~I~S~H

Pirotess is better.

The Bright Sessions is a good audio drama podcast (think X-Men meets In Treatment)
for non audio drama you could listen to the Terrible Warriors they are mostly good with a few exceptions

Well thats basically the plot of the comic

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Its a action adventure martial arts/mecha show and one of the most under rated anime of all time. If you like The Protomen, you'll probably love it, as it has a lot of the same themes, and also takes a really campy idea and does it 100% seriously.

youtube.com/watch?v=VemrhM9Y35M

If you don't care, at least give the soundtrack a listen.
youtube.com/watch?v=juWAvmuefyE
youtube.com/watch?v=xddCBE_3fBE
youtube.com/watch?v=SG_0fak-7y4

When in the campaign did it happen? I've heard of it, but not when it happened compared to the "canon" Lodoss timeline.

Rewatching the first episode, Deedlit's murder hobo side really shows. "Kill and steal"...

I just remembered this older manga I read recently called Knights.
It's about a nigger being the best knight around stopping the corrupt church from burning innocent women declared witches. Also he has a sidekick who is a giant slut actual witch that fucks entire platoons worth of men as distraction tactics.

It's biggest problem with it is the ending is extremely rushed.

I dont know if the wiki mentioned monster collection, but read that too

I can't wait for the high-tech faction to actually get off their asses and do something.

>Hey HEY
fucking love it. Though weapon 13 was weird.

Good taste user. Giant Robo is true /m/kino.

Hello from the magic tavern? Anyone?

I like Dark Matter also. The Andriod just tickles me as it starts reacting like a real person. While I do agree it can be lazy, it's pretty fun

>It's from a rpg campaign after all.

Haven't seen the show and only read the first book, but the post apocalyptic stuff is present in the source material. It didn't really fit the tone, but the way the characters described the events was interesting.

Anyone have tips for a something (preferably anime) that can be a good inspiration for a Kult (1st ed) campaign?

>The Dollop
Seconding this rec. The presenters probably won't be to everyone's taste.