Help me identify this sword

Sup Veeky Forums. While I was crawling about the crawlspace looking for where I stored the halloween decorations, I found a sword hidden in a corner. I've never seen it before, and the previous owners have no idea where it came from. There doesn't seem to be a maker's mark that I can find, but could somebody at least help me figure out what sort of sword it is, in broad terms? My largely unfounded guess is something vaguely east asian, maybe korean.

Other urls found in this thread:

oriental-arms.com/item.php?id=6582
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Drawn. It's single edged, and pretty thick at the spine. Seems to have almost no flex to it at all.

I guess this is technically a /k/ question, but I figured there were more sword nuts here. /k/ looks more about guns and gubbins.

Detail of the hilt and scabbard decoration.

can we have a picture next to a ruler, a closeup of the hilt, as well as the tip of the sheath?

what region are you in?
did you inherit or buy the house?
house age?
are you aware that Veeky Forums is gonna write a story for this blade once it's identified?

>ruler
and because I am an stupid american please specify if it's a metric or non-metric ruler

I'm sorry, that really should have occurred to me from the start.

Annapolis region, inherited from parents (I asked them, they called up the previous owners they'd bought it from to ask), house is about sixty years old, it's a (shitty) imperial ruler. My7 measurements put it at 1' 4 1/2" long, 1 1/8" wide at the base, and 3/16" thick at the spine.

I will be watching this thread in hopes more info comes out of it, love that sheath.

Looks like a Seax

Looks like a narrow seax

You're onto something

more specifically, a jazz seax

Almost looks like one of those old Chinese one-handers...

Looking at the mold line on the hilt and guard, and the fact that the detailing has traces of gold paint rather than gilding, this is probably a cheap wall-hanger made in Asia in the 19th or early 20th century for European tourists.

hey, i know that sword. it's george. you know from that famous story about the famous sword.

>Sup Veeky Forums. While I was crawling about the crawlspace looking for where I stored the halloween decorations, I found a sword hidden in a corner. I've never seen it before, and the previous owners have no idea where it came from.
Stormbringer's at it again.

> I've never seen it before, and the previous owners have no idea where it came from

TAKE IT TO A WIZARD TO BE CHECKED FOR CURSES IMMEDIATELY

I've seen Tibetan swords with this form of blade. Could also be from Bhutan. The hilt, scabbard, and pattern welded blade arr all very distinctive of that region.

Adding on to that, I found an example that adds credence to my previous statement: oriental-arms.com/item.php?id=6582

Have to agree, that's a Ke-Tri alright...

OP looks like it lost it gemstone in the pommel though. But it's a real fighting sword and not a display piece.

This
Also see if it's missing anything to unlock it's true power.
After this is done, you better start training.

Yep, it's sword.

Inb4 OP is kill by demons

Halfway hoping that this is the start of some creepypasta ARG type thing.

In all honesty, it looks like a cheap Cantonese tourist trap sword.

hilt is nothing remotely like a seax.

blade is vastly too well-preserved too, for 1,000+ year-old steel

pommel is more likely chinese, so I suspect its a dao type.

Whatever it is you should kill someone of your own alignment just incase it's a prequisite.

Blade style look a bit like like a norse/germanic seax, but the pommel, hilt and sheathe style looks Chinese/Korean, if it's single bladed would make it a dao of some kind.

I don't recall every seeing a dao with a blade style like that.

It looks like a pretty "cheap" but functional design, like "we need to arm 1000 soldiers by the end of the month" type thing.

Could be something.

>No stamp
well it's pretty hard, since I don't know if it's all one lump of metal and if it isn't I can't really tell you to remove the pommel to look since I'm pretty sure you couldn't pull it back afterward. Not that pommel really has a value outside of the material used most of the time

While it looks like you guys identified that blade I would be really glad if somebody could identify my bayonet. My father found it in region of Croatia (Dalmatia to be exact).
Hilt is long 13 cm, and the blade is long 39 cm (there might be some minor mistake in measuring but nothing mayor)
Here are some pics

Mauser Bayonet, I think pre WWII but not an expert.

Looks chinese to me.
Old but not super old. Maybe it's some kind of souvenir from the previous owner's tip to china

Kinda looks like a movie prop too

Looks like a Jian of some kind to me. Chinese longsword.

Yugoslav M1924, I can't tell if it's the steyr or german variant without seeing the mounting slot though.

Oh wait I'm a retard there isn't a marking on the other side so it's the Steyr one.

Oh ty. Can you also tell me what does the number in this pic () mean ?

Looks more like a cheap imitation of an authentic piece, but you'll have to clear the grime off it before you can really tell.

Welcome to Veeky Forums!
I think most of the others on this thread have a pretty good handle on what this is:

1. This weapon doesn't seem incredibly old. The scabbard has relatively few cracks and damages, while the blade isn't in a heavily deteriorated condition. Additionally, it lacks a fuller, ridge, or other design to help really strengthen the blade, which means it likely used somewhat modern steel, at least.

2. The seax/cheap crowd seems correct in that the blade itself looks harshly utilitarian. Like someone took some metal and made a sword-like weapon as quickly or easily as possible. This is slightly at odds with the decoration on the hilt and scabbard. I can think of two reasons for this. Most likely, it was a wall hangar/tourist item designed to look somewhat good to people who wouldn't use it. Otherwise, it could've been a cheap weapon that was later treasured for some reason.

3. I also agree with the people who think it is from Asia. Not only do the designs and the round guard look eastern, but the overall shape and design looks exactly like a kri-tri. Pic related.

/k/ would be your best bet

When it comes to sharp metal stabby/slashy things my advice is as follows
Veeky Forums for swords
/out/ for knives
/k/ for bayonets

For historic weapons HEMA threads were best on /asp/ for identification in my experience however with the WWE takeover of that board their threads seem to be few and far between, maybe Veeky Forums?

you found the fable gung jang dao

May as well ask about this. Picked the set up at an antique shop for £20, anyone know if it's worth anything? Blade is pretty sharp, might have been retuned or some shit.

this thread belongs on

I should mention Veeky Forums didn't know jack, just devolved into shitposting about Global vs Sabatier

hardly an expert on the subject, but the first Thing that came to mind seeing this was the side utensils to a hunting knife or sword.

Further googling, turns out it is an antique carving set. But that's about what I could find for you. have fun carving roasts.