/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Halloween edition!

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PO6Zk5qkYcA
magiccards.info/query?q=o:"sacrifice a creature" o:"the sacrificed creature's"&v=card&s=cname
magiccards.info/query?q=o:"sacrifice a creature" o:"that creature's"&v=card&s=cname
gatherer.wizards.com/Page/CardDetails.aspx?multiverseid=278252
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Halloween edition, that's a joke. Kinda felt obligated to do it, but seriously, there are less than one and a half hours left of Halloween over here. You guys?

Jesus, at this rate I'm not sure anyone will show up before Halloween is over.

Anyway, here's this, you know what to do.

We spent all last thread making spoopy cards. I'm out of skeletons, man.

You know you'll draw before you scry if you activate the ability, right?

ohthankgodsomeonecame

Card is pretty cool, though I am kinda concerned about that last part. I mean, in the right deck, it would be like having a 56 card deck.

Wordy as fuck, I know, but it's the most concise thing I can come up with for the ability.
>TL;DR ~ becomes a perfect copy of another creature, including having the same counters that creature has and the same equipment and auras. But ~'s name is still ~ and it's still legendary, and keeps this ability.

>I'm out of skeletons, man.
But user... There's a skeleton inside you right now. BOO!

>card
Well, this is... odd. Kinda sucks that it will only have one or the other. Since you can't control it directly, like with an ability or something, I think you could get away with 1GU.

I think it feels more BU than GU, especially since green traditionally doesn't care about artifacts very often, so the green ability triggering from having them feels off.
Also, 3 cmc, definitely.

Reversing the abilities also makes it so that you can
>block flier
>sac artifact
>deathtouch kill enemy flier
Which feels good as a play and rewards the mechanics more.

>But user... There's a skeleton inside you right now. BOO!
I lied I have one more giant skeleton.

>Christopher
I like the idea of it, but not sure if it should be repeatable. I'd just make it a normal Clone-type thing, but that may make the permanent copying even nastier.

God damnit, I made Sekki. I feel like Kazy sometimes.

Acknowledged and changed.

More artifacts matter, for whatever reason.

I guess the last ability isn't a copy of Sekki in order to interact with counters being removed from effects other than damage? Seems good overall. Although... being "Ossuary" I have to admit, it would have been cool to see it ETB with X counters, where X is the number of creature cards in your graveyard. Could be too good though.

>Chance (man I wish there were more space in the name line so I could use his alias)
Yeah, that's probably the best option.

Oh, well, I hope my suggestion for the Skellie helps make it feel different from Sekki then.

>Gear
Couldn't you just say
>~ gets +0/+1 for each artifact you control.
I mean, same effect almost, except yours functions in more zones, which I don't imagine is going to have a huge impact on playability. Seems cool overall though. God, you're so much better at below-rare stuff than I am. I tried doing more COD stuff today, commons and uncommons, and... I could seriously feel my interest dying as I went through them. I seriously respect anyone who can slog through all that bullshit and actually make a set.

Jeez, should've just posted all of them at once. Prophet, Ruin, and Seraph are all, sadly, very unpolished. Seraph in particular has been hard to do because her ability (every one of these guys has a unique weapon and a unique ability) is a score multiplier, and I have no clue how to apply that to Magic.

>God, you're so much better at below-rare stuff than I am.
>implying I can make a common to save my life
Oh /co/user, you make me laugh. I actually said the exact same thing as you about commons last thread.

Yeah, gonna kick around a few more ideas for that art, because its super cool. The next iteration was
>When ~ enters the battlefield, sacrifice each other creature you control. For each creature sacrificed this way, put a number of +1/+1 counters equal to its toughness on ~.
Plus trample and a temp-Indy by removing counters.

But then I realized I made some sort of faux-Devour-Golgari Grave Troll. Truly the Curse of Kazy is upon me.

>If you would win the game, you win the game twice instead.
:^)
But in all seriousness, five color (or WUBG) super doubler.
>If an opponent would lose life, they lose twice that much life instead.
>If you would draw a card, draw two cards instead.
>If you would gain life, you gain twice that much life instead.
>If an effect would place one or more counters on a permanent you control, it places twice that many of those counters on that permanent instead.

And another card I've been having trouble with. I realize I have this policy about evergreen stuff, and poison counters are really iffy about that, but it really fits the character. Idea is that she's an assassin who specializes in poisoning victims. And in Origins, after poisoning Bats, he hallucinates fighting multiple of her at once, thus the token gen. Kinda miffed that I'm having trouble with one poisoner when I still have two, I guess you could say three, more of them to go. Cheshire, Scorpion (Carmilla Black), and Mister Bones (the third one).

>commons
Well, you can at least do uncommons. And I seriously think the problem with commons for both of us is that they are designed, for the most part, to be inefficient filler, which neither of us have an interest in.

>next iteration
I'd have it give you the choice of what to sac.

>Curse of Kazy
Is that what you're calling it? I can't really recall Kazy doing that myself. Do you have any cards he made that are near copies of actual cards?

>Seraph
Considering how much the individual Doubling enchantments are costed, she'd be the most expensive card in the game with all those abilities. Hey, there was a card from Kaladesh that doubled triggered abilities, right? I'll start looking into that.

>card
Pretty fun that is allows you to filter without chucking stuff to the grave. Although... now I'm seeing downsides since the tuck applies to each individual draw. Like, imagine having no cards in hand, then you get your draw step. You get to draw two cards because of this and- Awesome, both are cards you really need! Oh, but wait, one of them goes onto the bottom of your library. Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to solve this, and that is a fringe case, the card is still good.

>I can't really recall Kazy doing that myself.
It was more a reference to Kazy's "I made Undying" joke that got passed around for a while here.

>Mnemonic Techniques
Yeah, its a draw filterer, and the downside of that is you can sometimes be screwed on the choice. But that happens all the time with Anticipate and other sorts of things. The other problem with it is that it can take forever to resolve. "Draw three" becomes "Draw two, bottom one, draw two, bottom one, draw two, bottom one," which can be pretty clock heavy.

>Copperhead
I like it, although a proliferation of first strike deathtouchers might be a little bit much. The illusions might be a little bit weaker than the original, after all.

>Kazy
Oh that. Oh god that was- I'm sorry, is- fucking hilarious. Yeah, that is a serious problem, it's happened to me a few times too.

>Mnemonic
I don't imagine it would be much harder than draw-discard. The player will just put the cards they don't want into a pile, then when they're done drawing, put the pile on the bottom of the library.

Speaking of draw-discard, anyone else notice that new UB draw-discard from Commander 2016? I thought of that ability a while ago but could never think of a good way to word it. Glad Wizards could.

>Copperhead
Good point. Just 1/1 FStrikers then? Or just 1/1's?

It ended about... 20 minutes ago. Was watching Re-Animator for laughs. Happy Halloween.

Hm. This feels oppressive; maybe too much so. Issue is I can't really find a fault with it except maybe it's a touch too cheap? The body is so small though that it's pretty easily removed by about every color so it's hard to say.

>it copies the creature and everything attached to it
Okay, that's kinda neat, but goddamn the wordswordswords. I know it's necessary but yeesh. 10 lines. Maybe pick one thing he can copy? Counters OR permanents, but not both? And it being repeatable is maybe a bit much.

Seen all these but Seraph, Prophet, and Nomad I think.

>Prophet
Having it scale to deal more damage the more creatures there are is strange. Logic dictates it'd be the other way around.

>Seraph
12 potential damage at 3RR. I'm... leery of this, to say the least.

>Nomad
Oh wait, I did see him. He was the first one I saw. Insect guy. Seems better.

I don't like First Strike here, because black gets it tertiary and so shouldn't really be handing it out in gold cards.

>pic
Wall o' commons, again. Looking for more abuse while I work on another color.

>Halloween edition, that's a joke. Kinda felt obligated to do it, but seriously, there are less than one and a half hours left of Halloween over here. You guys?
>Jesus, at this rate

youtube.com/watch?v=PO6Zk5qkYcA

No need to apologize guys, this thread is fantastic!

>Katarina (Spy Smasher)
I could make up for it by making the body better, like maybe granting some sort of protection or something, to justify raising the price.

>Chance (Human Target)
New version, pic related. If this doesn't work, then I'll just change it to do the thing with permanents.

>Prophet
He has a lightning gun. Idea is that you shoot one guy, then the damage goes from that one guy to each guy around him. Not quite the same I realize. Maybe something like the Kusari-Gama ability? Or Ronin Cliffrider? Or Balefire Dragon?

>Seraph
Like I said, unpolished. Yeah, scrapping that design now.

>Nomad
Thanks.

>Copperhead
Well, let's see. Best colors for poison counters are Green and Black. But only Black gets FStrike. And Blue is really the only color that makes Illusions. I guess I could throw in Red or White to help it. I'm thinking UBR would be the best choice then.

>Wall o' commons
I want to make a card called that now. It'll have defender and get +0/+2 and be able to block another creature for each common nonland permanent you control. Maybe. Oh, and you'll get feedback in my next post.

What?

They seem fine to me, although the random off-color activations for the last two make me curious. Is this going to be a theme, or is it just a dash of semi-gold?

>card
Aura bomb wincons, words that were not meant to be uttered together.

>Prophet
Terrible idea, but
>Whenever ~ deals damage to a creature or player, ~ deals that much damage minus 1 to target opponent or creature an opponent controls that ~ hasn't dealt damage to this turn.
If that wording makes any sense. So he hits for 3, then jumps for 2, then jumps for 1, down the line, like chain lightning.

This makes him super Red though.

A WW character. And because WW gets rebooted seemingly every other year, she's not very consistent. I think she's supposed to be, like, an anti-hero version of WW, angrier and more violent and brutal. Except that describes WW herself in plenty of her retcons, so yeah, it's weird.

Goddamn there are so many people doing sets now. Who are you again? Wait, are you Time user? Why do you not have a set symbol? Why are you using Counter strike? Did you come up with that? Yes, my memory is this bad.

Anyway, feedback. Cards I don't mention get an "Eh." from me.

>CW01
Never really been a fan of making creatures drop keywords, but I guess it's fine.

>CW03
Why not immediately? Or give a creature Vigilance at the beginning of combat?

>CW06
>CW07
Glad to see my advice on Mobilize was helpful.

>CW09
I still stand by what I said in that I feel like this keyword will be more difficult to remember than most due to not being intuitive. Oh, and I just realized this, but the use of Strike in the title could also make people think it messes with combat damage priority as FStrike and DStrike do, when it obviously doesn't.

>CW(U)01
Why the "(U)"? Unsure of this. If this can be used to get 1 damage in then boomerang, I'm definitely leaning towards uncommon.

>Prophet
Actually, now that you mention it, I already did kind of a thing for that. But I'm not above modifying it for use again.

>Incarnation of the Weeb
Dunno about this. Obvious trouble balancing a huge aura that can protect itself and the creature, and gives a big bonus on top of that. On the other hand, 2-for-1 is a thing.

>Incarnation of the Weeb
I aim to wee- I mean, please.Believe me finding good art of a fucking vajra was way harder than I though it would be.

>Dunno about this. Obvious trouble balancing a huge aura that can protect itself and the creature, and gives a big bonus on top of that. On the other hand, 2-for-1 is a thing.
Well, its a Darksteel Plate that costs 1 more (and has a double colored cost) that you can't move around willy nilly. But it also lets you bolt things willy nilly.

>card
Bird-Ojutai-Lord. Harpies are too cute to be a Black tribe. Or maybe she should just be an Aven, but she's not quite... bird enough to be an Aven. Oh well.

>Artemis
You can probably use "that Equipment" without confusion, although Wizards has used both sorts and prefers "the verbed noun's" templating.
>magiccards.info/query?q=o:"sacrifice a creature" o:"the sacrificed creature's"&v=card&s=cname
>magiccards.info/query?q=o:"sacrifice a creature" o:"that creature's"&v=card&s=cname

Also, feels pulled in too many directions. She pumps herself by equipment count, not equipment cost, so she wants to have lots of small equipment and swing. But she also wants to throw big equipment, but she can't do both because no Vigilance.

>Artemis
Oh wow, I actually have permission to use Vigilance on a RW card? Have the stars aligned?

>Harpy
Why not just
>Each other untapped creature you control with flying has hexproof.
Unless I'm missing something.

>Artemis
If she gets Vigilance, drop First Strike. She's already plenty fat enough to survive almost any combat without having to punch first.

Or keep it the way it is and either lose the equipment pump ("I wanna throw shit!") or lose the equipment throwing ("I wanna Voltron!")

>Unless I'm missing something.
That's much better.

>Alex
WUBRG goodstuff general. Seems fine.

>card
Gee I wonder what this card is supposed to be.

Sorry I took so long to get back to everyone; my gf wanted to play Overwatch.

>UBR Copperhead
This sounds much better.

>Christopher Chance
You can flicker it, and it's in the two strongest colors for it, so it should be fine.

>They seem fine
Thanks, that's good to know.

>off-color
The set has multicolor support and is based off shard pairings, so you'll see a bunch of allied color stuff and a bit of enemy-color as well.

>Varja
Expensive enough to be fine, I think.

>Timeanon
Nope. I'm Savage user. I don't have a symbol yet because I haven't thought one up. Yes, I came up with Counter strike. No, I'm not sure I should use it. I should have copy-pasted my concerns on these from the last thread. Oh well.

>CW03
I could do that. I wanted to make it so you got the untap on a surviving creature though, so it's not wasted.

>Mobilize
Yeah, I like it quite a bit now, thanks. It's not flashy, but it works and will do work.

>CW09
I might just drop it; I thought given that the set's flavor and theme was military/war it'd fit, but you might be right on complexity. Name could also be changed, if it does end up staying somehow.

>CW(U)01
This was to remind myself I had to make a monoW card with a U activation cost/additional cost/etc. Part of the planned multicolor support.

>Artemis
On board with what is saying here. Her flavor is a bit scattered. Tighten up the mechanics a bit, and it'll be nice. Maybe just make the Equip Fling flat damage? It's a bit simpler overall. 2 or 3 would be fine.

Too much I think; 2/3 fliers with upsides at 3 is always an issue with me ever since Nighthawk. Yes, I'll show you on the doll where it touched me.

Oh yeah, this dude, the one you hated my advice on. It works I guess. Hand cascade is what it is.

Could be 2/1 probably, not that it has to be.

I feel like this could almost be common.
2-color is actually a bit iffy to help you ramp.

Since I posted Artemis, here's WW, now with better art, finally.

>Artemis
Oh right, forgot to mention that the new version would drop the pump.

>Alex
Good, thanks. Hmm, guess I have... Superboy Prime left? Oh shit. That's going to be hard. To put it in perspective, his defining trait is being OP as fuck. It would be entirely fitting for him to be a 10/10 Indy Flyer with Haste, Trample, and DStrike.

>card
Well, pretty obvious. Neat though. Yeah, early Magic flavor was certainly different. I think you could get away with Paradise Harpy or something.

looks like something from d

>Copperhead
Yeah, already came up with a new version.

>Chance
Flicker? Oh, because it's not repeatable now? Yeah, not really worried about that, I can live without it being repeatable.

>Savage user
Ah, I forgot you took up set-making again. Well, that and you were doing the mono-hybrid mana Time anaon is doing, though the fact that you kept it all 2/C (thank you for that by the way) made me think you aren't him. Also tired, so yeah.

>CW03
Eh, makes sense. Though having two triggers like that does make the wording a bit cumbersome.

>Mobilize
Well, I am curious to see how you change it up, like which tokens for other colors, and effects to create multiple tokens too.

>Alex
Didn't hate it, but didn't really like it either, sorry. And the other user who pointed out that there are a bunch of one-mana cantrips that would just let you cycle your deck for free to find your wincon got me too.

Anyway, what's the flavor of your set? Shit, did I already ask you this? Tired, going to sleep.

>Hmm, I do have that new version of Copperhead. I'll attach it to the post later. Surely I won't post without remembering it.
Every time. And for the record, this is how tri-color tokens are addressed. Check out Godsire, or the Legends guy that makes Sand tokens.

>Recommending a rarity shift downwards on one of my cards
Man, Hell really has frozen over, in these last 30 minutes of Halloween.

I would loved to have Totally-Not-Birds of Paradise been 1G, but the stupid Flying throws it out the window.

>Paradise Harpy
it is, then!

>WW
I like it. Its RGW but not Naya, which is nice, because it explores RW's Equipment and GW's Aura focuses.

You just need to learn to appreciate DFC. :^)

>card
Last one for the night. A mishmash of various ideas. The counter shenanigans is the thing I'm least sure about. Also probably makes the board hate you in Commander, which is half the fun.

Man, Medomai really makes it hard to design creatures with extra turns, at least I feel that way. Nine times out of ten I ask myself "Would you play Medomai over this?" and answer yes, unfortunately. Really unsure of this card, the lifeloss bit seems like it's encouraging UB aggression, which is... strange, to say the least. I mean, I guess you could pay enough to trigger it, but... yeah. Wait, if this is for Commander, maybe have it apply to everyone? Like, others can get extra turns as well? Just make it something that ultimately benefits you, like applying the 10 life loss to other players.

This better satisfies my autism, thanks.

>mono-hybrid
I just posted these for the first time last thread, so I guess you musta saw them too. Or are thinking something else you saw was mine. Either way, reason I'm doing it is to make it so you get some casting options due to the set supporting shards, but not at all for the CMC reason Time user is doing it. I'm more utilitarian. I also just realize that if I nix Counter strike, I will literally have two new mechanics in this set, and that's it. And one of them is just a rehash of something that already exists (hexproof) in preparation for the inevitable retooling WotC is doing with it.

>cantrips
That's fair. EDH is supposed to be fun, after all.

>Flavor
War, pretty much. There are two large empires at war, and each of them has two shard-colored generals commanding their armies. The fifth shard is a mercenary general who could work for either side, and sometimes works for both. Then there are shard-colored Champions, who are basically heroic figures in each army. Think Ajax or something. The rest are just different types of troops or support bodies that could help an army out. Basically, I wanted to do a multicolored set without nitpicky factions restraints, so instead I chose to just keep the colors doing when they are doing so I don't have to make sacrifices to the pie to make faction mechanics work or to convey flavor, and can instead just focus on making my stuff solid and in-pie. Also, the idea of "cult of personality" stuff appealed to me. I shouldn't be making a set, frankly, but here I am, liar that I am.

Also, I got rid of Counter strike and just made the Tauryak able to block an additional creature. Also made it 3/5 instead, same cost.

I can't even begin to rate this. I am garbage at balancing or critiquing extra turn cards.

Why is Booster Gold giving extra turns? Is there something about him I don't know?

>Counter strike
Keep it if you want, but it needs a different name. Retaliate?

>Booster Gold
You know he's a time traveler, right? Like, pic related is Rip Hunter, another time traveler, who is Booster Gold's mentor. And also Booster Gold's son, due to time travel hijinks.

OK, going to bed for real.

Yeah, I know he's a time traveler, but he goes back in time, not forward. Also doesn't reset time or anything. I dunno, it's whatever, I just don't picture him doing that is all. I know his powers are kinda generic and you can't really make a card out of his personality... except maybe you can... no clue how you translate "kind of annoying egotistical janitor" to card mechanics though.

>counter strike
I'll think about keeping it. Retaliate is a decent suggestion. Was also looking at Run through, or Counter attack.

>Rip
I feel like the mana cost should come before the exile clause to mirror ability costing.

You know, Time user got mentioned a few times and I realized we haven't seen him in a bit. School distractions, I suspect.

Unusual territory for black, but I feel it fits. More than it would blue, really.

Well, he did a lot more time travelling in his solo series.

>Rip
Order is taken from Preferred Selection, which uses
>sacrifice ~ and pay
so I just substituted exile for sac.

Eh, I dunno. I'd be fine if it were graveyard recursion, but this does feel more Blue.

Ah okay. I mostly know him from Brave and the Bold and whatnot where they pretty much just make him a joke set piece.

Yeah, kinda figured it was something like that. I first heard of him in Justice League, the show, and like Brave and the Bold, it only mentions time travel to explain where he's from, and doesn't bring it up otherwise. Which makes sense, since the shows don't follow him or his adventures, so there's no reason for him to go through time in those shows.

But for example, one of the characters is his series is Rani, a Daxamite from the 31st century. Oh shit, just realized I haven't done Mon-El. Eh, might just skip him though. Oh Sodam Yat. No, I'm not even touching that one. Seriously, imagine Superman with a Green Lantern ring, that's Sodam Yat.

The thing is that while blue likes artifacts and all that biz, "mind control"ing artifacts doesn't really make sense. And with black's inability to deal with artifacts, it should at least be able to steal them. It's not like blue couldn't stand to lose a few of its tools.

Does anyone know of any card makers that aren't specific just to Magic?

MSE has templates floating around for YGO and FOW, as well as more general use templates for stuff like D&D Power Cards.

Need some Silver Borders on these, bruh.

I mean, there's Geth, but Blue also has Steal Artifact. And Take Possession, for the more general case.

Couldn't bring up the option for silver borders. Maybe I need to update.

>MSE has templates floating around for YGO and FOW, as well as more general use templates for stuff like D&D Power Cards.
Awesome, thanks.

>The thing is that while blue likes artifacts and all that biz, "mind control"ing artifacts doesn't really make sense.
How does gaining control of a thing not make sense in the color that most often gains control of things?

>And with black's inability to deal with artifacts, it should at least be able to steal them.
I firmly respond with "No." First, Black can deal with artifacts through selected discard and search-exile effects. It has to deal with them before they hit the battlefield, yes, but it's still there. Second, every color needs strengths and weaknesses. Getting rid of a color's weakness only serves to completely fuck up the color pie. It takes away a huge part of Magic when you do that.

>It's not like blue couldn't stand to lose a few of its tools.
Another firm "No." The fact that Blue sometimes gets things that some might find fitting for the color doesn't justify doing the same with other colors. In fact, I'll give you an example from very recently in Commander 2016. Red getting Polymorph in Divergent Transformations. I've spoken about my dislike for Blue get exile-removal before, I've made it very clear it's something I don't like. Do I like that now Red is getting it? No, absolutely not. Nearly every single objection I had with Blue is carried over for Red.

(However, while I feel like Red getting any random effect just because it's random is lazy, I do think Polymorph is a better fit in Red than Blue. Because, really, while Red's justification is "It's random" it is accurate, Red is about randomness and chaos. Whereas Blue's justification boils down to "It's magic" which is never a good enough excuse.)

>Geth
Different because it's from the graveyard.

Blue, Black, and Red all have the ability to steal things, but they have differences.

Red steals permanents temporarily, generally only for a single turn. Sometimes it gets to steal cards from an opponent's hand.

Black steals cards from outside the battlefield or the stack. It can recur from an opponent's graveyard, steal cards from an opponent's hand, or take cards right out of an opponent's library.

Blue has access to everything mentioned above, though usually is steals permanents indefinitely, plus it can steal spells that are on the stack.

Do note that I am speaking generally, and for modern design, so this disregards stuff like Aladdin.

>How does gaining control of a thing not make sense in the color that most often gains control of things?
I see blue having creature mind control to make up for the fact that blue generally doesn't have good creatures, but blue already plays tons of artifacts. It really doesn't need to Memnarch everything as part of its color pie or gameplay balance.

>Color strengths and weaknesses
Yes, no color should be able to deal with everything on its own, but this is fringe territory for black, blue's ally and I really don't consider this step to be game-breaking or even that much of a stretch.

Blue deals with basically everything in the game. It touches permanents, it touches spells, it touches the library. While Wizards has been toning down blue in recent sets, blue needs more weaknesses rather than just shittier cards each set.

>Blue deals with basically everything in the game.
Pure Blue's weakness (in my view) is a lack of permanent answers to resolved permanents. They have temporary answers in bounce, tap, and control manipulation (because its often through Enchantments), and time-sensitive answers in counterspells, but any-time, any-place removal of a threat is typically not Blue's purview.

Sure, there's stuff like Pongify and Rapid Hybridization, but I don't think there's a lot of love for those outside of Maro's boner for them, and even then you could argue that in many context they simply minimize a threat rather than nullify it.

There's also the fact that Blue typically gets poor offensive creatures, and has to rely on other colors for a win con. Blue is a great enabler, but outside of non-rotating formats where they can dig deep for degeneracy, they can rarely win with the same pure philosophy in the same way a White Weenie, Green Stompy, or Red Burn deck can.

Blue may dominate eternal formats because that's where all the broken Blue cards were printed, but Blue is (arguably) the worst color in Standard and definitely the worst color in Modern. There are Grixis and Jeskai control shells that are primarily blue (for Torrential + Glimmer), plus the UR Dynavolt decks, but "UW flash" is 90% white.

This seems like a perfect time for an ultra-niche hate card! Fuck you, Zedruu!

>Yes, no color should be able to deal with everything on its own
WotC be praised

Well, its part of blue's colorpie to be the best.

I guess I could see it if it took a cue from Murderous Spoils and stole stuff from dead creatures.

>blue's ally
I just want to point out that the reason a UB evergreen keyword is so hard to make is due to the very limited amount of mechanical space the colors share.

>Pure Blue's weakness (in my view) is a lack of permanent answers to resolved permanents.
Yes, exactly. Blue needs to have counters set up to deal with things it can't otherwise deal with, just as Black needs to get rid of pesky artifacts and enchantments before they hit the battlefield.

Though this leads into my next point
>stuff like Pongify and Rapid Hybridization, but I don't think there's a lot of love for those outside of Maro's boner for them
This is why I despise Blue's current exile removal for Pongify. The original idea is fine, a bit of hard removal to resolved permanents, with the downside that the opponent gets something for free. But then they decide to first exile the creature, which isn't very nice already. I mean, destruction is powerful, but it is possible to get that back, but that just goes out the window with exile. And then there's what replaces it. It kills me that Wizards thinks giving a player a bear for murdering one of their creatures is enough of a downside. Oh no, 2 damage, I'm so fucking scared. Especially in the color that has cheap and easy ways to remove tokens by flicker or bounce.

I'm firm in my belief that Blue's removal for permanents should always, ALWAYS, either be soft or have a substantial downside, and never leave something in exile. That said, seeing Divergent Transformations, while I still don't like the exile effect, gives me hope that Blue is getting less of this in the future.

Augury Owl
Augury of Bolas
Artisan of Forms
Benthic Infiltrator
Blighted Agent
Body Double
Caller of Gales
Cerulean Sphinx
Chronozoa
Clone
Coral Barrier
Most Merfolk
Cryptoplasm
Dimensional Infiltrator
Erdwal Illuminator
Faerie Miscreant
Forgotten Creation
Furitive Homunculus
Grand Architect
Hedron Crab
Illusory Angel
Incursion Specialist
Delver of Secrets
Invisible Stalker
Jace's Phantasm
Jwar Isle Avenger
Kaijin of the Vanishing Touch
Kaho, Minamo Historian
there are more

????

This seems fairly powerful since it can turn Lands into Bears, permanently.

Huh?

Nah, senpai, this is blue as hell. Blue cares about artifacts, and it steals stuff. Black doesn't do either of those things.

It's been like two threads. He's probably bleeding out in a ditch as we speak.

>He's probably bleeding out in a ditch as we speak.
It's midterm season, so this sounds reasonable. God knows I wanted to crawl into a ditch and bleed out after my Thermo final yesterday.

Are you just posting blue cards in some kind of weird semi-alphabetical order?

This is a very difficult card to parse. Also: gatherer.wizards.com/Page/CardDetails.aspx?multiverseid=278252

This is probably how Wizards would do it, anyway.

Name gaffe aside, its not a movable lord enchantment, its an enchantment that makes lords. Sort of. They're Non-Lord Lords. Lords that buff non-Lords. Kuzko's Lord, the Lord specifically for Kuzko. That Lord.

Maybe this makes it easier to read.

Or we can go full Sensei Golden Tail with this, and just make up creature types.

I really like this, by the way. Although it should probably specify
>Enchanted creature has "Other creatures you control get +1/+1."
Because "other creatures" on the Aura means all creatures.

Functional, but not the most exciting thing in the world. Black doesn't strike me as the color of things that are leybound, though.

Is this ability undercosted on an uncommon?

First, export your cards. Second, did you miss the conversation we just had about how much Blue's "consolation prize removal" is disliked? Perma-Omnibian is probably not a good idea.

So, destroy would be better than exile, eh?

Also, it might be disliked here and elsewhere, but I used to love Ovinomancer. Stuff like that reminds me of the 'good old days' when each color had many different things in its part of the color pie.

Any more powerful than his cousin? Also, just realized I need a nontoken clause.

>card
At that cost, I think this is fair.

Not sure if I'd put this at uncommon.

Cool. Though I think you can end with
>where X is that artifact's converted mana cost
Since we already know it's talking about each destroyed artifact. Oh yeah, and I'm not entirely sure about how I feel about a card that ties back to Mirrodin when the art doesn't really fit.

>Also, it might be disliked here and elsewhere, but I used to love Ovinomancer. Stuff like that reminds me of the 'good old days' when each color had many different things in its part of the color pie.

>Any more powerful than his cousin? Also, just realized I need a nontoken clause.
Depends. Looping something like an Time Warp or something is probably more degenerate that repeated permanent "destruction". Hell, even looping Brainstorm or cantrips would probably be fairly nasty.

I still think it should be "nontoken, nonland" though, to prevent 1GU Stone Rains on a stick if you have anything remotely capable of blocking a bear.

>card
Name changed, then. Prince of Vines he is!

Having to return 3 basics to hand (and pay 2U) every time Ovinomancer wants to activate its ability is a lot different than just paying 5 mana. Also, design standards have changed a ton since then.

But Commander's Authority is already a card. I only know because I play mono white weenie in EDH.

God, I always laugh at that art.
>OK son, here's your pin. Now have a nice day at school and try to make friends.
>Aw, ma, do I have to wear it? Werewolves hate Avacyn's collar...

50050192 that's great.

>Avacyn's collar
You mean Avacyn's collar, the symbol of her church, the symbol chosen specially for her church, that collar?

I already changed the name, because I'm a dingus and somebody else pointed it out to me. ( )

Whoops, needs a color on that token. And maybe an evergreen to make him not so... vanilla. We'll see.

Missed the "Partner" thread, though this is more like "Trio"

Batwoman. Ex-soldier and Bruce Wayne's cousin, though she didn't know he was Batman until after she became Batwoman. Flavor is angry soldier becomes angrier vigilante.

Humorously, while the original Batwoman was introduced to assure readers that Batman isn't gay by giving him a love interest, this Batwoman is a lesbian. Damn, reminds me that I need to make a card for Renee Montoya.

Eh, not sure on the tapped and attacking part. Impulsing 1 for that price seems fine though.

>Humorously, while the original Batwoman was introduced to assure readers that Batman isn't gay by giving him a love interest
Ah, the good old not-gays. It's very important not to scare your straight white male audience.

Pretty sure that was to make sure Batman wasn't seen as a pedophile. Hanging around with a young boy in his underwear and all.

Well, even disregarding homophobia, the idea of a rick billionaire playboy having sex with a young child he adopted is still pretty creepy. Like, they played that completely straight in Brat Pack, and it was extremely uncomfortable.

I forgot to post this when we were still in Spooktober.

New version of Spy Smasher. Old one was 1 cheaper and was a 2/2 and lacked the keywords. Changed it to this since an user said he wasn't really sure it should be 5 CMC, so I just threw in extra stuff to justify increasing the cost.

Hexproof on utility creatures that have no reason to attack always felt mean.

Also awkwardly this sort of ability won't let you draw if there aren't any creatures your opponents control.

>cards
Yet another colored artifact cycle.

>Also awkwardly this sort of ability won't let you draw if there aren't any creatures your opponents control.
Well, yeah. Otherwise you could target your own creatures to get two cards, and that's not what it's supposed to do.

>cards
>Remove three charge counters
Other than that, no idea really. I can tell they're going to be hard to balance due to how swingy they are, and since they are incredibly reliant on the meta. Good luck.

Its a "ransack", unless its got four walls and a roof.

Also this seems really strong at CMC 2.

Yeah I already spotted and fixed it. It might be cheap, but it's pretty narrow in terms of hate.

True, true. Its a soft Linvala, which has a 3/4 Flyer stapled to it at the fairly cheap 2WW.

I'd like to see white on an activated ability hate card, though, but pushing it to 3 CMC might be excessive. Maybe GW.

A mythic legend probably isn't the best comparison.

I was basing it loosely on Burning-Tree Shaman.

>make a stronger ability
>put it on an enchantment, making it safer
>reduce the cost
???

For color purposes. Burning-Tree is a fairly different beast gameplay wise.

Both of these abilities are surprisingly rare. Well, the "all" part mostly.

Making a free 2/2 body makes it at least 3 CMC. Fighting, I feel like it's maybe not quite 4, but 3 and some change.

Your opponent controls if you actually get anything out of it. I don't know if 3 cmc is worth turning off activated abilities of X/2 creatures.

It doesn't necessarily matter how hard it is to activate. Sure it might cost less than something that automatically gives you one each turn no matter what, but the effect is still worth that much.

That doesn't make any sense to me. But I'm probably going to rework it anyway as it's pretty lackluster as is.

I don't think it's all that surprising. It's more interesting when it's more of a choice.

Hey guys, what do you think?