Dice

What dose Veeky Forums think of metal dice?

Other urls found in this thread:

artisandice.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

'muh table scratches

Also there aren't a lot of good options for usable luxury/status-symbol dice sets.

Expensive and somewhat obnoxious, because they are loud and leave dents in paper and scratches on tables. They also don't roll quite as well as lighter dice.

Fine, as long as you use a dice tower so you don't damage your host's table. If you host and don't give a fuck, that's cool too.

>Also there aren't a lot of good options for usable luxury/status-symbol dice sets.
This is a real issue. Kickstarter has been a godsend in this regard, let me tell you what. For instance, I picked up a polyhedral set of gunmetal dice from kickstarter that are pretty nice.

I always wanted bone dice when they were sold.

Look, I know you spent $45.99 on that set from Amazon, and yeah they look nice and all, but this glass dining table is new so if you could refrain from damaging it that would be nice. I'm sorry, I don't really give a flying fuck about your dice superstitions if it's going to damage my personal property. Here's a wooden soap box, make do.

Besides metal what kind of material would be good for status symbol dice?
Or if metal what kind of metal would work best? Aluminum might be light enough to not damage stuff

Sounds like a bad idea that could fuck up some character sheets, plastic minis, maps, etc. as well as the table.

Artisan Dice offers a set of Mammoth Tusk Ivory dice. The full polyhedral set costs a little over $2,100. Sounds pretty status symbol to me.

Mammoth tusk? Like the long dead species? That does sound cook but wouldn't any dice made out of solid natural materials have a high risk of being unbalanced?

Pretty sure they're not meant to actually be used.

To be honest rolling on glass in general seems like a bad idea. For one thing it's going to be loud, and also there isn't as much friction as on a regular table so they'd slide off a bunch of the time.

>wouldn't any dice made out of solid natural materials have a high risk of being unbalanced?
That's one reason why it's difficult to have functional luxury dice.

Plastic is already a fantastic material for dice for multiple reasons, so it's hard for expensive stuff to improve on it. I saw someone ask an extremely prolific dice collector what the best material for dice is, and the collector said plastic was the best. That disheartened me, because I wanted him to say some kind of weird hipster material that I could use to express how much money I spent on my hobby.

If you can roll dice in a measured, gentle, and reasonable manner (i.e. not hurling them at the table, dropping them from high over the table, or rolling with force that sends them flying across the room), it doesn't matter so much what your table is made of. If your die rolls are going off the side of a glass table, they're probably going to roll off a wooden or plastic surface all the same.

If you really feel like a lack of friction is an issue, you have options. Closed books, sheets, battle-mats, and laptops all make for acceptable rolling surfaces. Just make sure everyone can see your roll.

I find that noise of rolling isn't such a big deal. Many find the clacking and clattering sound to be pleasing. In any case, the sound of rolling should last for about a second or less if you do it right, so barring some kind of weird noise-maker dice, it shouldn't be a significant disruption.

Does anyone have any experience with miniature dice? I've ordered a few sets from massdrop and am expecting to bust out laughing at how smol they are.
Also they will be pretty much the only dice I have outside of my metal set, which will only make things more ridiculous.

Artisan Dice? Precious stone dice?

I don't understand what you mean.

Certain types of metal are better than others.
Aluminum? Not much heavier than plastic, so you don't have to worry about breaking/damaging shit.

Brass/Iron dice? Something's going to get damaged.

I think you niggers are overreacting the fuckign damage they do.

They don't weigh a ton and the table you are playing on isn't that fucking fragile. What the shit.

>tfw I have a tungstene 20d

just did some googling, this seems okay?

artisandice.com/

they're good only if they are really heavy and have sharp edges.

Only roll them on a metal or glass table for dramatic effect

I wish I could get real amber dice

VERY overpriced. And there's a lot of issues about delivery dates.

He isn't worried the dice is going to break the table in half, hes worried it's going to scratch it...which metal dice can do.

Table ruiners. Use them, you're revarnishing the tabletop.

> dose
Thread saged and hidden.

I have a bunch of smaller than normal but not quite tiny d6s, they're good for shadowrun because you can comfortably hold 50 of them

>He doesn't used razor-sided die
Bro, do you even 40k?

Then fucking get a wooden table and put a cloth over it or get a dice tower you goon.

God you're worse than people that flip their shit over coasters.

>he doesn't use coasters