I'm running a non-heroic campaign where all my players are peasant farmers and they recently murdered an entire goblin...

I'm running a non-heroic campaign where all my players are peasant farmers and they recently murdered an entire goblin clan.

One of the players is role-playing a woodsman who is a kind of Trump supporter("The King wants to take away our crossbows!" "We need a wall to stop all those rapist Orcs!" "Make the Kingdom great again!") and convinces the others to help organize a mob to investigate the goblin controlled mountains to the south.

They trip over and quickly dispatch a small scouting party of goblins before reaching the mountains and then find the entrance to a goblin warren. Quickly they hide themselves and proceed to work together to stuff the entrance with flammable things with help of the druid styled Adept and the woodsman. They do very well, the goblins on the other hand panic.

when all is said and done 17 goblins have died in the warren another nine non-combatants are slain by the players as they search out other entrances. They then found and killed the goblin queen queen and undermine the structural integrity of the warren collapsing it in on any that remain inside.

In summary a mob of 22 Npc class characters most of which were commoners killed outright 32 goblins and dealt with another 150. How the heck do I calculate the xp for this shit?

Just make something up

What system?

yeah, don't gotta be by the book

>non-heroic campaign
give them some wheat and barley instead of experience

3.5 Its predominantly house ruled but for an NPC game we decide to use a lot of the 3.5 srd assets since several of the members are using roll20 to call into the game.

Ultimately, it depends on the pace you want.

If I were doing it, I would award XP for the 32 directly slain and divided among the PCs, with the NPCs receiving perhaps a half-share of XP.

Also

>2016
>still playing 3.5
>ISHYGDDT

They already looted some shitty goblin moonshine and a couple months worth of goat jerky from the warren.

([XP Value Of a Goblin * 22] * 2)/22

They all get 100 XP, assuming the base value is 50. Do something similar for the Queen.

well then, have the kingdom ask for proof of the kills (thumbs? heads?) and in return send them some engineers and materials to improve their peasant village

Or possibly better roads now that the goblins have been pacified. Roads are a big deal.

([XP Value Of a Goblin * 182[ * 22] * 2)/1000

400 EXP each assuming 50 EXP per kill.

/1000 or else the numbers get crazy.

Forgot to multiply the number of Gobs.

>In summary a mob of 22 Npc class characters most of which were commoners killed outright 32 goblins and dealt with another 150.

This just makes me smile. Screw Hero's, just lynch mob that problem to death. Who needs Sword and sorcery when you've got good old fashioned blood and elbow grease.

meh 4.0 sucked, and 5 is nice but it uses minion rules and stuff for shit tier NPCs which will be the predominant opponents so the system just does not work for the game we want. The point is to not feel like a heroic journey.

Is the /1000 just to shrink the numbers? this looks like what I will probably go with number wise, it will bring the entire party to lvl2.

It was great, they roleplayed well and went about the whole situation like they were hunting rabbits. If they didn't have a 35 on their group hide and the goblins didn't roll 1s or 2s on their resist panic rolls they could have been facing off against nearly 200 angry goblins.

>Is the /1000 just to shrink the numbers? this looks like what I will probably go with number wise, it will bring the entire party to lvl2.

Yep. You might want to go up to 10, 000. This thing gets a bit ridiculous the more you increase either enemies or allies. Remember: EVERYONE is getting x amount of EXP. It's not just the baker turning into a level 4 fighter after a raid, it's every villager that took part in this little expedition.

>hey guys I'm running 3.5 in a way that it wasn't intended to be run at all, tell me how to make the system work for how I'm running it
How about you shut the fuck up, man the fuck up, and do your own goddamned work.

This.

>inb4 user thinks that 3.5 dnd is the only game in existence and every other system is just as absurdly difficult to learn, which in his mind justifies his unwillingness to try other games

Didn't mean to crawl up your bum and tickle your darkness. 3.5 handles murder and non-murder results rather well.

The room for discussion is on where others stand on enemies that were dealt with yet not directly encountered. IE the lions share of goblins that went stumbling off into the hills. By the rules they were "dealt with" but people have different opinions on how they would factor those enemies.

I was on the fence on how I was going to handle them and was simply asking for advice or examples on how other GMs would handle a similar situation.

Don't use xp values to level players, level them when you think they've preformed sufficiently to deserve a level. Seems to me it was a pretty fuckin slick move and the type of thing a local lord might be impressed by, I'd let them hit 2 (everyone who took part, not just the pcs, like one user said) and maybe even have a landed knight or bailiff pay them a visit.

If you don't want to have a heroic game why award XP at all?

The whole XP/level up system is there to simulate heroes getting stronger and being able to deal with ever bigger challenges.

Just have them stay at their level, award them with narrative results like bounty money, resources or infrastructure for the village like other anons have suggested. Otherwise it will turn into a "becoming heroes" campaign. it probably will anyway since that's what all of DnD is designed for, not just the XP system [\spoiler]

Okay, but the orcs actually /are/ a bunch of rapists.

I'm reminded of the time we played a commoner game, miraculously defeated an orc tribe through an amazing plan, and ended up with a bunch of orc women slaves who had actual adventurer levels while we were commoners.

Pretty significant changes to the game after that.

And, more likely, it'd be the pope coming after your crossbows.

Have the local lord send a militia instructor with some basic books about magic after getting the news out of his bumfuck of nowhere fief.

These peasants just cleared a major obstacle to clearing the bordering forrests into farmland and have the lord merchant it up with colonization.

Everyone gets to learn usefull skills for free (gains rogue , fighter or ranger levels etc.) and the leading actors in the mob get additional monetary reward or gear so they stay in line and keep being usefull.

>35 on group hide
>Non-heroic game

Uh.

Just gonna leave this here

What's the name of this again?

Goblin Slayer. The first chapter has rape, the rest of it doesn't really.

Surely you mean Gnome Smasher?

No, though he's also know as "Orcbolg" and "Beard-Cutter" to the elves and dwarves respectively.

>game about sending your orc wives on adventures while the party mans the fort

>Entire campaign becomes based around rallying up increasingly large groups of peasants

>Final showdown is the BBEG VS 10000 peasants armed with pitchforks, the PCs commanding their forces from the front.

More likely after recieving the proff of them slaughtdering ten times their numbars in gobling without a scratch local lord would draft them into men at arms.

Art imitates life