WIP - Painting/Converting/Sculpting General

Time for a new /WIP/ thread - post-Halloween edition.

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>This planet is ours, witch!
youtube.com/watch?v=7_b-qBTul44

>Previous threads:

well my camera is shit,
i don't know if i should keep flag

What scale is this? Is it one of the busts that come with that WH40K-inspired boardgame?

Made some edits to the Falcon and Firespray I painted. Think they turned out a bit better than they were.

its normal 40k scale

What edge highlight colours should I use for my dark Burgundy (Gal Vorbak red) Word Bearers? Wazdakka Red and Squig Orange? Or go for that Flesh Tearer Wazdakka Red and Cadian Fleshtone?

Was thinkin about a Khorne Red zenithal highlight too

Do you guys ever make models from scratch or is it just a painting thing? Curious.

How do I make a flat surface interesting without airbrushes?

not too much left. Don't think I can be arsed with anything fancy for the bases at this point.

man, I want to get one of those johnny minis

why don't you buy one?

i like these because they are not overly complicated and they are finished.

can't find 'Brother Craig' or 'johnny' models on ebay

They rare as fuck bro.
Trying to get one to give to my mate who plays Blood Angels.

Captain with relic blade and storm shield, artificer armor

I'll probably end up converting one of my own eventually.

GW is so expensive that buying spare bits from bits retailers is way cheaper to make custom characters

>can't find 'Brother Craig' or 'johnny' models on ebay

Some fa/tg/uy stole this one out from under me the other day.

Noble Knight Games has one, but it's in a lot with nine other models for $65.00, and I have every single one of them.

>buying from china is way cheaper

Fixed that for you. It's certainly the best way to make a fancy base

>Do you guys ever make models from scratch or is it just a painting thing? Curious.

Conversions of existing models are more common than scratchbuilding, but I've seen some pretty inventive Ork stuff here.

Please tell me how can i fix this shit? It's so horrible

Waiting on superglue to arrive so I can magnetize flamer weapons but here's a squad otherwise done.

I made my Exocrine mostly from scratch. There's a few carapace bits and the lower jaw are from Tyranid kits, but, like 90% was scratch.

Anyone know good tutorial vids for airbrush novices?

I think dr. faust has one on his channel

Cool mini. While I actually do like the new exocrine, I miss the slugs.

Anyway, I posted some Chaos I painted in the last thread, and I'm trying to decide what to do with these. I bought a large collection of vintage Chaos recently. They are officially Brass Scorpions, but I'm thinking maybe counts-as defilers? They are a bit bigger than a land Raider in size. Goofy ass motherfucker in the back is a lord of battles, base coat is how I got him. I'm thinking maybe counts-as Decimator. The lord of battles statline has as many hull points as a Reaver Titan, but the model is really small.

Fuckin hell that's a fantastic yellow. They contrast really well with the bases as well. The bare head looks like it could do with a few more extreme (extreme extreme) highlights, but that's probably just because the yellow is so vibrant.

For 28mm specifically? Look up Lester Bursley's vids on Youtube. His early stuff is airbrush free, but his later stuff works in a lot of airbrushing.

You making an army for Epic?

Yeah, painting up a Chaos army for Armageddon. Those minis there aren't actually in the generic "Black Legion" list. Or any list on the Net Armageddon page, for that matter.

Thx user. Yeah it takes a lot of coats of paint to get the brightness up to that level.

Is the head supposed to be that lumpy and undetailed? The wings have loads of intricate designs, but it looks like someone tried to greenstuff a new head and failed horribly.

Either way, drown that shit in Superclean or Simple Green and hope you can salvage what's left of the miniature itself. If that is horribly applied green stuff, you might be out of luck.

How did you do the armor chipping effect?

You got a recipe for that delicious yellow, user?

I accidentally spilled alot of white paint on it

They're painted on by hand. Burnt umber with off-white highlights underneath.

1. 50-50 VGC orange fire, golden yellow
2. golden yellow
3. 50-50 golden yellow, moon yellow
4. zenith (but don't skimp on coats, this is the step that makes it really bright) moon yellow
5. spot highlights 50-50 moon yellow, white

>If that is horribly applied green stuff, you might be out of luck.

A nice bath of oven cleaner for a week will render greenstuff flexible and easy to remove (unless you glued greenstuff to the model while it was still soft)

I fucked up, /wip/. I was applying some brush on varnish to a model and it ended up drying all streaky. This leaves me with two questions:

How do you get a smooth varnish coat by hand?

Is it possibly to save my model without stripping everything and starting over?

Can you even simplegreen that shit though? It's massive and fragile as fuck

these are great, really amazing. but sometimes i feel Veeky Forums is just space marines and friends. oh wait, thats the whole hobby.

why did you ruin your kingdom death, user?

How would I go about making some Crux Terminati for Mark 3 shoulder pads?

I want to run the Mark 3 marines I got from Prospero as my army's Sternguard, but I'm not sure what's the best way to make them look like veterans of the First Company.

I have a few shoulder pads like pic related but I'm wary about trying to sand away the shoulder pad itself just to get to the medallion.

I'm guessing my best option is to make a mold of the medallion out of green stuff or milliput (using pic related as a master) and then recasting a bunch of Crux Terminati from this mold, right?

Any other options here? I heard epoxy molds tend to shrink rather drastically as they dry.

>but sometimes i feel Veeky Forums is just space marines and friends. oh wait, thats the whole hobby.

After that day when Johnny's squad faced down two Tau Supremacy Suits and a Tyranid Harridan, I'd beg to differ.

can you buy some that someoen else made?

Depends, does anyone make them?

On a side note, does anyone know of any third party heads that would fit on Sisters of Silence? I'm not partial to the topknot heads.

I got a nids army too but I just wanted to paint yellow shit.

Holy shit, that squad has so much fucking character

i love your space marines and your nids. i just imagined everyone asking for tips on your yellow and your armor chipping so that they can apply all those awesome techniques... on their own space marines. forever.

chipping and the color yellow are not really spess marine specific or oriented techniques user

How would I go about hollowing this helmet, removing the beakie bit and making it a helmet that can fit on a guardsmans head like in pic related?

Dremel

Slowly getting the ship done, I had a slight issue with the primer going on a little bit fuzzy but it's not really noticeable from tabletop distance so that's ok.

Seems like a lot of effort for little reward.

>Holy shit, that squad has so much fucking character

They certainly had some cajones. I later found out after blazing away in futility that the Harridan has a Toughness of 8.

>On a side note, does anyone know of any third party heads that would fit on Sisters of Silence?

I can't vouch for the fit personally, but I see a lot of conversions here in /WIP/ that involve the female Imperial Guard heads made by Victoria Miniatures.

>female Imperial Guard heads made by Victoria Miniatures

Such as ...

If you have a small enough bit and are careful enough you can do it with a dremel.

I've dremeled chaos marauder heads out of their helmets before.

That sounds awful for both time spent and the marauders. I hope your mods looked cool as hell.

Fuzzy primer is my bane. I prime everything by hand now. Even metal. I prime it then put on a clear layer by hand.

what primer are you using?

also, your purple work is awesome. are you using an ink/wash to create that effect?

It's Army Painter Alien purple as a base then just doing the turquoise over the top but making sure to leave loads visible.

Are those china tier plastic soldiers?
They look great

Yeah I got a big bucket of them from Walmart. I'm new at this so I didn't want to fuck up expensive miniatures for my first few tries.

Not bad at all for toy soldiers. Do they fit in scale?

Buy some Oyumaru (also sold as 'Instant Mold', often with a mark-up) off ebay or amazon and make press-moulds with it. Easy to use and if you fuck up the mould just re-heat it and try again.

Keen for anymore feedback on my truck, thanks all!

umm... are you weathering over grey primer?

Nah, it's not grey primer, it's something something grey

>Those marines
For the Emperor, brothers

Nah. They're like 1:32

Your weathering looks great but weathering is usually the last step senpai. You could have done some modulation on the grey at least.

The rust looks cool, and seeing that this is 40k my critique is probably not so important but you shouldn't overdo it.
Ask yourself if a truck that is kept in service in a mine or factory (since these cults are supposed to work these kinds of jobs) would look like this. To get that amount of rust, a vehicle has to rust for a long time without any maintenance at all.

Just saying user. The rust looks great though.

Although the weathering looks amazing, the grey is so flat, I fear anything else you use to add depth will destroy all that hard work!

I don't really see the problem. Honestly I like how the color gradients look overall, you just need to actually finish and highlight/detail it

Are you the guy who's making his base tops out of greenstuff with some stamps? If so, what stamps are they, you said before but I forgot and haven't been able to find them since

Just got done painting my first squad. What do you guys think?
Was i supposed to thin my mettalics?

I know i should have practiced on non fw models first but cadians look like fucking teletubbies.

Anyone know what model the legs and torso are from? Been looking and can't seem to find it, I am most likely just blind

>dat mould line
You should thin down your metallics. The helmets are noticeably too thick, but the rest of your painting is damn good for a first time.

looks like dark angel company veterans.

Yeah I am. It's the factory ground pin from greenstuffworld

/40kg/ went full /po/ so I'll ask here.

Bought some DA company champs to "counts-as" them as my Tac squad vet sarges. The sprue came with an assault cannon, is that a thing they can take? Battle Scribe says nyet.

nope

Rust looks nice, though maybe look at real life rusting vehicles for some indications on how to place the rust. The sides look quite nice, but the middle I'm not so sure of. I'd imagine the rust to be more centered around the grill, and the edges, less under the nose where it's more protected from elements and such.

the DA company champs are partially a DA upgrade sprue. there are lots of terminator bits there (including legs).

Well I'm using that meaty leg piece for a dude of mine.

From what I can see on their sprues, they aren't the same as the pic

Neat, thanks. How are you finding the rolling pin?

Nope. Before the DA got an individual upgrade sprue and any deathwing stuff everything was bundled with the veterans, so there's all sorts of bits and pieces you can't give to a squad. Not that you should feel you shouldn't if you want to do some awesome conversion work.

I'm not sure you can ruin Kingdom Death

Yup, the legs are from the DA veterans sprue, although it seems the torso is a normal MkVII one with the Aquila shaved off and the robes greenstuffed in, likely to remove the original rope belt and DA symbols.

Ah alright, thanks for the help!

it's good as long as u follow the instructions on how to use it I posted on the thread from a while ago

as a machinist i can tell you this eeirly close to some equipment i have worked with. I guess most people in here only look at pictures and haven't had many hands on/ RL experience with rusted, still finctional equipment. Employers are cheap as fuck so sometimes the equipment you use is older then the company's that owns it. Looking good, tone down on the rust running down from your main rust spots and do not put any rust effect where there isnt rust damage. People think rust can run well onto other surfaces from its main exposure, that is bull shit.

Papercraft & origami?

This guy here.

Forgot to say. Make damn sure to splatter tiny drops of rust effect onto the areas surrounding the inital rust spots.

Thanks family.
>dat mould line
Yea i was in a hurry to paint it, i'll have to go back in and cut that shit off.

Have a DA company vet sprue in front of me atm. The legs are from that, the torso no unless they shaved the aquila off.

Don't be too worried, it looks good. But I agree with just thin down your metallic and use thinner layers.

All-in-all though, your army will end up looking like mine, small details will get lost in the grand scheme of it.

Rust looks wonderful. I don't think the grey would look too flat if you added a shade in the recesses.