What's the worst -punk and why is it steampunK?

What's the worst -punk and why is it steampunK?

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/TheDifferenceEngine
1d4chan.org/wiki/Modempunk
youtube.com/watch?v=MShusm5hGGw
youtube.com/watch?v=wXFK82TGh7c
youtube.com/watch?v=PFzzIMdJJPo
youtube.com/watch?v=GpxFUo7oxWM
youtube.com/watch?v=C7NSUFDHFgg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm not really a fan of folk-punk desu.

Objectively, cyberpunk.

Pic unrelated, obviously.

anything based solely on Tolkien

Because it's something that exists largely as an aesthetic (importantly one that is largely taken as a matter of 'slap more shit on it' as opposed to what looks practical within the limitations of the theme) with very little actual engagement of the ideas to bring it a sense of tangibility aside from playing dress-up.

Crustpunk is the worst. They just stink.

Oh, wait. Is this -punk or punk?
Metal > punk any day, though.

now I have to formulate Tolkienpunk

It ignores the actual possible 'punk' elements of the Victorian Era such as the inudstries driven by badly treated unskilled workers, power firmly in the hands of a few individuals and anarchist/communist/whatever thought beginning to rise to the surface in favour of wanking over scientific advancemenr.

Rising up against the superior, but slower breeding elves!

This, at this point cyberpunk is like playing a modern-day game with cyber-limbs.

It was a fantasy for the 1980's when it was still 'the distant future' with mega-corps, corporate espionage, and evil supervillians. Now it just feels like playing a modern-day-game with bureaucracy turned down and hillary-clinton-politicos turned up.

Anything with "punk" in the description is generally overdone and shitty, but yes, we've had this thread a dozen times already.

Man...the world sure has changed, huh user.

ThisThreadpunk

We've had it so many times it's a genre now.

"But where are the punk elements user?"

Us rising up against the ThisThread posters to end their shitposting.

Why?

why not? elves are nazis

Elves are and have always been horrible dicks. Plus they're keeping us from utilizing vast tracts of arable land because it's "their sacred forests" and leaving us to till stones and starve.

Ah, so Tolkienpunk is memepunk?

because nobody gives a shit, set a steampunk game in post-tsarist russia where you have your Bolsheviks slaughtering the native Siberian inhabitants with freakishly mutated soviet "new men" and you've actually got an original setting that isn't Mieville's personal spank bank

steampunk is the worst because one of the core features of punk is those on the bottom of society being in conflict with the wealthy and powerful. the protagonists cant be true underdogs in steampunk because to have ANY of the fancy bullshit tech that requires a ton of maintenance and replacement parts requires money. the kind of steampunk people write about/play/whatever usually has the main characters with all sorts of gadgets they'd have to be rich to afford.

TLDR best steampunk would be Irish rebel faction fighting against steampunk England.

Honourable mentions to Bioshock Infinite I guess.

Steampunk is just rich kids playing with toys. There's no punk in it. What the hell? I'm sure that at least one of the original stories had plenty of punk.What is that most of steampunk doesn't have any punk?

Every punk that isn't dieselpunk is the worst punk desu senpai.

This sounds interesting.

What about magic vs tech settings? Think Arcanum vidya game.
Or fantasy with gunpowder and magitech? Like Warmachine board game.

>megacorps didn't exist in the 1980s

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/TheDifferenceEngine

either that fabric is billowing to a ridiculous degree, or that lady's shoulders are fucked up

Some said Rise of Legends?

Need to find that game again

Funny, I've been thinking of playing it again and see will campaign be less bugged this time.

Steampunk basically became a meme for scenepeople that generally has a poor grasp on history.

>not playing OG cyberpunk with payphones and 80s fashion and japanese economic dominance and CYBERSPACE and true AI and Rastafarian space colonies

pop-punk manages to ruin both genres

Am I the only one who really dislikes The Difference Engine? It feels like the worst parts of Gibson and Sterling rolled together.

Oh, and soviet russia.

Atompunk is best punk, prove me wrong
pro tip you can't

This guy gets it

My favorite punks. Cool vehicles included.

Negatory. Rocket Punk is best.

The Difference Engine suffers a lot from later steampunk authors taking everything even kind of good from it. Nothing feels as fresh as it's supposed to.

Also the pov character for the first and third parts is incredibly boring, but the paleontologist's part was good fun..

>implying that world warpunk isn't the best punk

Retrofuturism is aesthetic as fuck.
>Nuclear families with their suburban utopias
>Big shiny cities with fancy yet impractical machinery
>The dark undertones of a dystopian civilization masking its corruption and misery behind a veil of futuristic gadgetry
>Those implications that behind all the wonders is a dark undercity whose citizens are slaves to the whims of the rich
>All those cutthroat geniuses and influential people vying for wealth and power by any means necessary
>The delicious underlying fear of both a menace outside the "perfect world" that wishes to destroy it and a monster of a catastrophe building up inside, waiting for the perfect moment to bring it all tumbling down

I feel like "steampunk isn't punk" is turning into some kind of thought-terminating cliche. Who cares that it's not "real punk?" It was never "real punk." The term was always aped from cyberpunk. Does Tolkien sugarcoating feudalism trigger you too?

More like
>Citizens United didn't exist in the 1980s

*tips fedora*

Fuck, throw in the paranoia of classic 50s/60s monster/alien films to get a really cool mood.

Just be prepared for players to turn it into a black comedy

Wow, without even realizing it, I just described Bioshock

>all that spoiler
I'll blame Nazis and Soviets, as usual.

Magic vs. Tech works for the early modern style games like warmahordes up to around the end of the age of sail.

Everything else is just a cluster fuck.

The reason for this is that the the early modern period was coming off the back of the renaissance where everything just sort of 'made sense' to everyone yet cool shit kept coming out and no one really knew what to do with it (look up Homo Volans and "The flying man"). Guns were by and large shit, transport was comparable to previous ages (Sail and Horse being the key ones), monarchy and social structure was still largely set. There was still very much left to discover / conquer / go in search of around in the world.

In earlier settings tech vs. Magic doesn't work because all tech is basically magic in these settings.

By mid 19th century "Science" was being born and up to late 20th century settings tech vs. magic doesn't work unless magic is either dying or hyper secretive to being largely nonfunctional in the day to day. When you hit the 20th Century it starts getting really hard to work with outside of "Nazi's mit Flamenballen" and "The hippy movement is led by a druid whose charmed everyone".

Though I suppose you could do 21st century Magic vs. Tech about a load of street magicians who are actually legit wizards or something.

Nazis working for the CIA or Nazis working for themselves?

Because there's nothing punk about it, for one thing. It's just an aesthetic.

The ACTUAL worst -punk is "dieselpunk", because we already had a word for that genre. It's called "pulp".

>I dislike the difference engine too

It was retarded.

However, the Chaos Engine game of my youth was inspired by it so It's not the worst thing ever.

Both kinds, I don't discriminate. Although I do like idea of Fourth Reich hidden on Antarctic or elsewhere, waiting for right moment to take away my fancy retro cars.

>Fourth Reich in the Arctic/Antarctic
Great taste

So we all know that steampunk is shit so how about steamgrunge or steamjazz?

Wasn't there much more trust on the government back then?

Today probably people say dieselpunk for aesthetics and pulp for characters, like The Shadow.
Is there any RPG with such premise, atompunk and Nazis? I mean, probably not, but what the hell, maybe I'll be surprised.

Genius: the Transgression, sort of

Thanks. I've heard of it but didn't have chance to look into it.

1d4chan.org/wiki/Modempunk

>radical computer hackers in a totalitarian '80s that never was

youtube.com/watch?v=MShusm5hGGw

Thoughts on "cattlepunk?" Ideas, opinions, how to make it work? I had an idea for a campaign that was basically Red Dead Redemption meets Bioshock. The premise would be that technology took off at a ridiculous pace during the second industrial revolution and now a bunch of high-tech would-be tycoons are looking to "reform" the frontier in their own image- essentially replacing lawlessness with the corruption of ordered society, all in the name of progress, of course.

Deadlands in big town?

Punk died years before Green Day raped its corpse.

Isn't that more or less just the plot of Rango

Are you saying you wouldn't play a Rango RPG?

Punk died when the record company made lineup changes in the Sex Pistols.

Metal survived that, and grunge, and rap, and it will survive everything else.
Just replace the -punk suffix with -metal, and you're good to go. Just do it harder and heavier, with less 'OH NOES WE CANT CHANGE THE ZEITGEIST' and more 'WE WILL BRING THEM DOWN OR DIE GLORIOUSLY TRYING'.
But then, I listen to power metal and folk metal.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magik Obscura is the classic refutation. Magic fucks with basic physical laws nearby, so tech tends to foul up around strong mages. Tech is better in some ways, but magic has a lot of build up. That holds you to real machine guns and artillery. Then you just have to admit magic is generally a shit.

Dieselpunk best punk

Although I wish Teslapunk was a thing

Seems pretty sweet user.

youtube.com/watch?v=wXFK82TGh7c for inspiration.

Then is there a word for, "I wanna play the rich guy with cool steam and clockwork gadgets but not steampunk because anything punk has to have communist undertones according to user"?

Metal is edgy shit for fat dweebs who never leave home

lmao metal survived to because its incredibly nerdy, perpetually untrendy and mostly awful. Punk meanwhile changed the face of music, even if the music it influenced isn't actually punk

it isn't bikerpunk

Because steampunk is never ever done right. Idiots just think it's slapping gears on everything instead of making functional clockwork/steam-powered machines.

Feudalism is not necessarily bad

What kind of -punk does Zenoclash fit into?

It depends, shit like nu metal, industrial, trash (RIP) and power metal are about as cancerous as the punk is but then again I mostly listen black, prog and stoner metal.

Biopunk is great.

Confirmed for never having listened to metal OR punk.

Punk was, musically, awful. Three chords, shouting, and The Truth.
Metal involves all the chords, all the notes in between, and singing, screaming, growling, or shrieking depending on your sound.
And it's from the industrial dieselpunk aesthetic of the Black Country in the 60s and 70s. Dark and depressing and always raining, where the guitarist has to downtune his guitar to compensate for losing the ends of two fingers to a metal press at his day job, and the singer is having one last shot at a legitimate career before being the worst criminal ever.

Neither was the Industrial Revolution, if you do what Tolkien did and put it in a universe where none of the bad stuff that came with it ever happened. Hell, the Industrial Revolution helped the average person far more than feudalism did. It's hard for modern people to imagine just how much mass production lowered the cost of goods, and the less you spend on clothing the more you have to spend on other things like food (which because considerably cheaper as well). Even if conditions in the factories were deplorable by modern standards, people clearly preferred that life to what they were leaving in the country.

It's clear neither of you listen to the other's music, and your fan wank is nauseating. Please stop this.

Obviously it's Daft Punk.

MY ADVENTUROUS BROTHER
youtube.com/watch?v=PFzzIMdJJPo
youtube.com/watch?v=GpxFUo7oxWM
For you youtube.com/watch?v=C7NSUFDHFgg
I honestly wouldn't think of power metal as cancerous because it either sounds like its about fighting in a war or being a hero. Then again I do agree with nu metal, most industrial, and parts of thrash.
Personally I listen to a lot of Folk, Power, and symphonic gothic metal (like pre-2006 nightwish) I have been throwing in some metalcore, classic rock, and the occasional death metal stint

what would that involve, being an autistic underweight virgin who fucks pigeons?

It's basically shoved into the same category as dieselpunk due to similar time period aesthetics.

Well it's not like you could call it "Edisonpunk", because that's about sue-ing everybody and cosplaying a Lion rather than Electricity themes.

None of the names that I remember Veeky Forums giving steampunk were meant in a non derogatory manner. Then again, Veeky Forums seems to be hot bed of steampunk anti-fans who feel the whole genre needs to be purged and "rich guy with cool steam and clockwork gadgets" need to be forever barred from being used as anything other than as the villain.

>What's the worst -punk
furrypunk

So Pre war Fallout?

There's no such thing as-
>"Muh oppression! Bawwww..."
>Assimilation of everything good into itself
>Trips of Truth
By the gods and the fire and lightning of heavy metal, I have seen the light.

The irish are all drunk, inbred terrorists and criminals tho

There's nothing more rage inducing than hearing some thick glasses dyed hair tumblrina describe a beautiful Victorian era antique as "steampunk."

Well, except maybe when they describe literally anything old with metal on it as "steampunk."

>young people are ignorant
truly shocking and rage-inducing

Get off my lawn!

There's nothing punkish about these settings fuck

What genre of Punk would you consider Deadman Wonderland?

Also would you consider running a game in The Deadman Wonderland as Inmates?

There's a number of special \tg\ers who if they don't know the actual name for an artistic, architectural, or design school/style they just resort to calling it some form of -punk.

It's better to not argue with them and just shake your head and move on, otherwise they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

put on some metal and ill describe you as "steampunk"

Steam Couture