/STG/ Star Trek General

Dude, where's my thread? edition.

Previous thread A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include the rpgs by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe and WizKid's Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures and game, and Star Trek in general.

Game Resources

FASA's RPG
>mediafire.com/folder/9mt7sng56l8gg/Star_Trek_RPG_(FASA)
mediafire.com/folder/cwn8tbt2qm5t4/FASATREK_Adventures

Last Unicorn Game's RPG
>mediafire.com/folder/9eiysv2192ods/Star_Trek_RPG_(LUG)
-Official and Fanmade Resources
>coldnorth.com/memoryicon/

Decipher's RPG
>mediafire.com/folder/c6tb7p6dp0pye/Star_Trek_RPG_(Decipher)
-Fan Supplements
>strpg.patrickgoodman.org

Far Trek
mediafire.com/folder/lrhbz9l0qay0j/Far_Trek

Lasers & Feelings
>onesevendesign.com/laserfeelings/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Ex Astris Scientia - Fan analyses of ships, tech and continuity issues
>ex-astris-scientia.org

Daystrom Institute Technical Library - Database of ships and technology
>ditl.org

Star Trek LCARS Blueprints Database - Ship schematics, deck plans and recognition manuals
>cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints-main2.php

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

Star Trek Cartography - Information and maps
>stdimension.org/int/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NbPvM6zPnOw
youtube.com/watch?v=vDoQgZqt6JE
youtube.com/watch?v=PfJuqOnNCCA
youtube.com/watch?v=x0mw2X7S3kE
shapeways.com/product/5QJDAEUSZ/prometheus-class-1-7000?optionId=60859006
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Christening new thread with SHIPS!

postan miniatures for a change

I can't wait until STO's printing service goes live

Could be good. Thinking of printings, I wonder if ye olde dildoships are available? Would be neat to have a few of the SFM designs hanging around.

Apparently the thing is going to work in a way where you take a picture of your ship in game and then send it through cryptic to the printers.

So if you have U.S.S. Dragondildo on your list of ships then you will definitely get it.

I don't play STO though so their service is not particularly useful to me.

huh, turns out there is a bunch of the SFM and even the ugly FASA designs on shapeways. So that's something.

Post Halloween hangovers, no doubt.

And to that I say MORE KANAR

If you wanted a specific ship you could probably get it with a couple days of playing. Nearly every vessel has a variant within the Tier-1 to Tier-5 range, most of which come as free upgrades at certain ranks.

And if your particular favorite ship isn't among those ships you will have to pay or grind an enormous amount of Dilithium to exchange to zen and then buy it.

All the same, for most zen-only ships there's a cheaper option (500-1000). And apparently you can buy ships on the exchange for energy credits.

Those ships are lockbox ships, which are astronomically expensive.
Also your EC is locked at 10M until you buy a lock remover from zen shop.
It's some 100 Zen (1$) if i remember right.

Hold up. What's that little cutie hanging out with the T'Liss Warbird?

Given I'm probably going to be shelling out about 25-40 bucks for the model, that doesn't seem too bad.

Probably closer to $100 based on what I've seen on euc3d's site

What particular ship did you have in mind?
If it's the original connie that's 5 bucks.
Original Excelssior, 10.
Lakota refit 20.

To start with, a decent Nebula class with my headcanon ship name and number.
If that goes well, then I want an Ar'kif Warbird.

You are in luck then.
Ar'kif is among the last ships you can get for free as a Romulan while Nebula is for ten bucks in zen store.
Considering the fact that Nebula is a tier 3 ship, i think it would be possible for you to take it as a Romulan, just as long as you ally with feds when you have to choose.

Skyhawk class destroyer

Nightwind a best.

>on shapeways
Never used shapeways because I've always been wary of such things, does it actually go well?

What is that a shot from, having all that information up front instead of having to leaf through the insane number of books would be nice.

Never used shapeways, can't justify the expense for decent sized models.

The image is from A Call To Arms: Star Fleet Battles.

>A Call To Arms: Star Fleet Battles.
Thats why I never saw it, and why it looked odd, okay, I might have to try that out. Simple starfleet would be nice.

>TFW I guess I'm the Prometheus class fag of the thread.
So how does this for a ship that splits apart in canon? Can I get my favorite ship in 3 pieces and have them peg together or magnetize them to stick together? Actually is there a decent sized model kit for pic related?

Ok what space liquor do you wish you could get drunk on?
>Kanar
>High proof maple syrup
>NOPE! I don't even think Canucks would drink that crap but I could be wrong.
Romulan Ale doesn't sound so bad just don't get drunk on it I guess.

I figure Kanar would be like Black Rum. If you've ever seen Kraken Rum, it has the same consistency and look of Kanar.

Romulan Ale sounds like Moonshine or Poitin. Really fucking strong and liable to burn out your sinuses.

Other than that, most drinks seem very similar to their Earth counterparts.

>Romulan Ale sounds like Moonshine or Poitin. Really fucking strong and liable to burn out your sinuses.
From what I recall from the WoK novelization, Romulan Ale seems to hit you all at once, there's no delay with the buzz.

That sound like anything (not a drinker, sorry).

Very strong spirits. So the poitin/moonshine comparison works.

I always figured Kanar would be more like a sort of like a fermented fish/soy flavour with about 8-12% alcohol.

Kanar is a liquor though, so it's a lot stronger than 8-12%. More like 40%. I could see a fishy taste though, the Cardassians do love their fish juice.

>tfw no TOS-era Constitution modernization that rubs me sufficiently
>they all have the saucer's neck too short, the nacelle pylons swept/curvy/not straight and TOS like, lack faithful bussard scoops, or have the nacelles too thick/detailed

Why is it this hard

Thoughts on this one? It's from 2006, but you can see where some of the JJprise's design features originated from.

If it didn't have that stupid parabola deflector dish, I'd almost like it.

Not I just really hate the stupid parabolas.

>stupid parabolas.
You're stupid.

I dislike the color scheme of it. The Constitution is that weird off white the Feds use not the gunmetal of the 2370s and onward.

So you don't like the Feddie inventory of the 2360s then? Because until the Enterprise Refit, they were using the shield dish on everything.

Too much stuff going on, and the fuselage /engineering deck is too detailed and sculpted for no reason. The limeish off-white color is required, and the nacelles need to be a simple straight tube to compliment the fuselage's tapered tube.

I need to learn 3d modeling instead of perfecting the art of bitching.

id like to give klingon bloodwine a try since even just a bit is enough to get a human smashed

Didn't we have a story a few threads ago about a deranged Vulcan fighting Dominion in a resurrected Connie?

Yes, we did. Then salty people who hate reading told writers to stop posting Trekfic here.

You've gotta wonder just what's in there.

>So you don't like the Feddie inventory of the 2360s then? Because until the Enterprise Refit, they were using the shield dish on everything.
2260s, you mean? The 2360s are well past the Enterprise Refit. And remember, they didn't have the goldrabola on ENT NX-01.

I don't think anybody complained about the Vulcan, or any of the prior fictions, for that matter.

Does anyone have it saved?

I don't think so. The basic premise was that this Vulcan had served through all of the worst periods of the Federation's history and had gone pants-on-head crazy. Now he tools around in an up-gunned connie on the edge of Federation space, waiting for the next thing to go wrong.

So has there been any new news about that new Star Trek Series or is it dead in the tracks? Everything I heard about it till now aims for a deadborn project.

Kinda looks like it's falling apart. Fuller has pulled back from being showrunner to just executive producer. So now he's much less involved.

youtube.com/watch?v=NbPvM6zPnOw

Sounds like Fuller got into "creative differences" territory and was sidelined.

youtube.com/watch?v=vDoQgZqt6JE

Budget has supposedly been adjusted.

As far as I've heard the production shoot is supposed to start November but until it begins there's still a chance CBS might pull the plug. I find it odd though since they publicized the main lead to intentionally be a female minority and Fuller wanting a lead played by an openly gay actor that they haven't published a cast list or done any major publicity I'm aware of for a series that's supposed to be pay walled.

I can't say I'm surprised. Pretty much since VOY the networks who've owned Trek haven't known what to do with it.

I'd rather Trek die than get a shitty new show anyway.

I'm guessing the series is going to be DOA. And will be like what's in the link but from the extreme liberal pov. youtube.com/watch?v=PfJuqOnNCCA
Sorry about how horrible this is but I'm trying to make a point. Don't let Christians do Trek parodies, people.

>Captain ReTard
>Guitar riffing Klingon

I don't know man, this sounds like a good base for a Red vs. Blue-esque STO webseries.

Dude, the people that made that are fucking dead serious about the shit they are spitting out in it. This is not satire they actually hate Star Trek and think it's from the devil. And if there are actual aliens in space they believe they have to make them Christians or purge them. THIS PEOPLE ARE EVIL!

They sound more like misguided imperial inquisitors/ecclesiarchs.

>Dude, the people that made that are fucking dead serious about the shit they are spitting out in it.

I understood that.

I'm saying that a character named Capt. ReTard and guitar riffing klinks totally would work for me in an STO-based web series.

How is this not a series all by itself?

Give me one moment for creative juices and cheap whiskey to flow freely.

>They sound more like misguided imperial inquisitors/ecclesiarchs.
>Crazy Christians
I think they are the same thing. So why aren't there any earth religions left in Trek? Did humans wise up and burn all the 'Holy' books and kill all the follows. Or did all the religion whack jobs off themselves first time they saw a Vulcan. I hope the latter.

have some random cat poetry, curtosy of Data

youtube.com/watch?v=x0mw2X7S3kE

Much like how the Federation's economy works, the best answer we have is 'it just does'.

aka, shit that Gene didn't want to talk about because he thought current way was double plus bad, but didn't have an alternative or a good enough reason as to why something is or is not around.

In TOS, Kirk mentions that they've outgrown it. I think there's more expo about it in Who Mourns for Adonais. It's similar to their stance about outgrowing "race" by treating "Negro" as just another word. There was no explicit exposition about what actually happened to organized religion that I can remember.

> double plus bad
> bad

Crimethink detected

You will never take me alive!

Well, it is pretty hard to explain how people on mass can 'outgrow' what is apparently a fundamental psychological thingy.

>Sci-fi humans
>outgrow religion
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
FUCK YOU GENE I HOPE YOU ENJOY ROASTING IN WHATEVER NINE LEVELS OF HELL YOU ENDED UP IN.
Everytime this happens in sci-fi I call it bullshit.

And which almost every other alien species still has a strong spirituality.
Star Trek's superior human no faith thing is really disgusting at times because they all turned into pinko commies. Better dead than red I say.

What does this count as for my bingo card? Is it feds are evil or pussies?

Why not both?

Feds are evil, I think.

What's the point of putting warp nacelles on the two top parts when only the bottom one has a deflector?

Retractable Holographic Deflector Array.

By the look of it, like this: shapeways.com/product/5QJDAEUSZ/prometheus-class-1-7000?optionId=60859006

So that's the 3 bits and a fully assembled ship. I don't know how big that is though as I think the multiple pieces are distorting the size readout. But it's probably fairly small given it's 1/7000 scale, likely intended to be used as a game piece. There's others though ,a quick search of just 'Prometheus class' gave a whole bunch of results.

1/7000 scale Sovereign and Defiant I found whilst looking for reference.

Just ignore it.

It was another example of Roddenberry going Full Lucas. Before they tried letting him out without a handler The Connie Enterprise had a chapel and after he fucked off and died Sisko's soon to be wife mentioned that her family thought that the marriage should have been conducted by a minister rather than an admiral.

In 23c - 25c humanity has a personal religious side but is kept personal.

The whole muh Athiusm utoputha is right up the with the whole "interpersonal conflict has been left behind" bull shit.

>What's the point of putting warp nacelles on the two top parts when only the bottom one has a deflector?
All three parts have a deflector, it is just hidden away in a recess in the Alpha and Beta sections. This intern map shows the one in the Alpha section and the Beta section has one too but it's not shown on there. You can see on the triangle nose of the beta section a recess just behind the tip which I'm guess is where it's deflector is.

>The whole muh Athiusm utoputha is right up the with the whole "interpersonal conflict has been left behind" bull shit.
Which is kind of hilarious when it comes to Trek because it seems somebody really went to a lot of trouble to flesh out the religions of a lot of the other alien races. The Klingons have whole arcs and books written about their spirituality for fucks sake. Not to mention the big ear guys and the nose ridge people, why can't human people be this fleshed out in trek? Are there any sci-fi settings that actually do future human religion right? Because Star Trek seems incredibly passive aggressive about humans being spiritual for some reason.

>sf with fleshed out human religion

Dune, maybe.

The problem with "fleshed out human religions" in sci-fi is that there's basically two ways to do it, and they both suck ass.

1: Either they're the same religions we have today or evolutions thereof. Bear in mind that Trek is set between 150-400 years in the future, spanning the timeline between ENT and STO. That's a LOT of time as far as tech and secular authorities go, but in terms of religion it's a drop in the bucket. Thus, we have the problem that you're bringing real-life sectarian issues into the setting.

For example, if you portray a Bajoran character who's a maverick and an asskicker and eventually wins the begrudging respect of Captain Picard, who gives her permission to go off-uniform regs and wear her space-religion caste earring, that's fine. Nobody cares.

Now instead of Ro Laren, cast Cote de Pablo and make it Space Ziva David who wins the right to wear a yarmulke. Suddenly everybody who hates Jews is taking issue with the show and crying "Oy gevalt" on the interwebs, even if the character has otherwise been, well, Ziva David, a certified 110% badass.

And god help you if you try to depict a faithful Muslim character. Even if you literally modeled him or her after a U.S. military Medal of Honor winner/KIA hero who died saving their buddies from a grenade or something, it'll take the Internet Hate Machine all of 0.25 nanoseconds after the character's faith is revealed for people to question when they're going to hijack the ship and allahu ackbar into the Great Western Satan or whatever.

Which brings us to Option 2: Make up some high holy horseshit about some new religion, either alien or homegrown, having swept the planet Earth like wildfire in the time between real life and the show, having effectively done away with all Terrestrial religions in place of itself. This will inevitably invite Scientology comparisons and accusations of being unrealistic.

So, really, the LEAST controversial option is saying that, on the whole, humanity has lost its need for religion. This is not implausible, as statistically speaking, the better-educated and more liberal a population gets, the less religious it gets. So just project from there.

Hammer's Slammers books mostly keep current religion, and at least one book goes into detail as to why there are Muslims IN SPACE.

>Dune, maybe.
I don't really know the backstory of that setting well so I'd need to look into it.
But there is a sci-fi setting where religion is very important but I think it's the version of doing everything 'wrong' in a way.
>TFW Warhammer 40k
Oh boy, does it make out religion to be an evil oppressive thing and just a tool to control the masses. In a way it does do bits of it realistically in a way but wow is it such a parody of what we think religion should be.

It seems really cowardly of the guys that make Trek to do this because they seem to tackle a lot of the other issues like racism and sexism head on. Why do they have such a fear of human religion, just say that even in the future with starships having a little faith isn't a bad thing. And just be done with it, why can't they just do that and just leave it there? So and so is a Sikh and wears the head dress with a star fleet uniform. Would anyone even care? Or would they all be he could be a secret augment or some shit? Since it's a guy with just a head scarf is this that big a deal?

>I don't really know the backstory of that setting well so I'd need to look into it.
The ban on AI and other advanced technology is quite literally a Crusade/Jihad rolled into one. Paul Atreides and his mother Jessica utilize the Bene Gesserit's tactic of seeding messiah myths on to primitive planets to start a Jihad that subjugates humanity under the hand of Muad'dib. Dune has a ton of religious work put into it.

To Americans? Yes. There is no easy way to make faith a plot point to us. The Sikh thing is fine, but most writers are so terrible at nuance that religious characters are quite literally defined by their religion, not by their character or actions.

Because religious folks* tend to be very particular about media that depicts religious stories. That awful Noah movie with Russel Crowe was somewhat interesting because it was drawing on the rest of Genesis to build up the world that Noah lived in. And let's face it, Genesis is weird (in a good way).

But religious folks* hated the movie and felt it was disrespectful to their faith and sensibilities. I remember hearing about the shitty Ben-Hur remake that they were going to respect audience's religious views.

Which is bizarre because Ben-Hur was written by a Christian. Nothing in the book being translated to the screen should be offensive, and yet, religious folks* likely haven't read the book, and just as likely don't understand their own faith as well as they aught to.

*By religious folks, I mean allegedly Christian Americans.

>but most writers are so terrible at nuance that religious characters are quite literally defined by their religion
Funny, it seems they can do it well enough in Trek with the religious aliens but when it comes humans they get the running shits. I just wish for humans in this setting that weren't so flat is that too much to ask?

The Writers for DS9 made a conscious effort to make the Bajoran and Klingon religions feel real and not two dimensional. Dare to compare Chakotay's Indian clusterfuck in Voyager. And like said, someone somewhere will scream and bitch about any religion on TV. (Personally I find it difficult to imagine some religions lasting after we get into space, but I suspect we'll see Palestinians and Israelis fighting until the end of time)

>Dare to compare Chakotay's Indian clusterfuck in Voyager.
Well, tb h a lot of the writing in Voyager besides stuff having to deal directly with Chakotay was a clusterfuck. They should have set down an idea first what tribe/region he was from and just worked from there instead of just throwing whatever seemed like a good idea at the time at the plot. The Native Americans in that one TNG episode seemed to be given a fair showing but I could be wrong. It can be done right the writers and actors just have to put in the effort.

Maybe WW3 'fixed' the Israel/Palestine thing. That's always an option I guess if not a great one.

But yes, the DS9 guys were absolutely trying. Even Quark shows signs of faith (and not just that dream sequence). It's pretty much just in passing but it's there all the same. And I've seen a whole bunch of westerns that managed to have more respectful treatment of native american cultures than the staff on Voyager managed because (probably Rick Berman's fault) they couldn't pick a tribe and stick to it. Didn't they even manage confuse north, south and central american practices?

I feel like they were like "Righto, we have a Native American on the bridge, and this is all the representation we need. He's a massive clusterfuck, and we still have a literal mary sue in a skintight bodysuit, but we're totally as progressive as every other trek series now!"

>"battlecruiser"
>Constitution with bigger fuselage, multiple deflectors on aft and fore
>extra nacelle for quick deployment

too practical to dislike

But the Federation is a Dreadnought. Why wouldn't you want to serve on the USS Star League?

Huh, I thought it was a battlecruiser.

It's upsized by a full quarter compared to the standard Connie, going by the old blueprints. It's a *big* ship.

Late night bump.

Sikhs are over-the-top awesome badasses, but put one in a TV show, and you will have one of two problems.

One: You will need AT LEAST three episodes dedicated to explaining to the dumbfuck mainstream audience what a Sikh is, how Sikhism is not Islam, and that not everybody who wears a turban is an Arab Muslim.

Two: Durka durka muhammad jihad-stani is all that the dumbfucks who hear "Sikh" or see 'turban' will hear.

Same if you try to put any gurkhas in. Shinto, buddishm/hinduism, asatru? Forgetaboutit, those are weird things that mainstream murican chucklefucks either don't know about, or consider yet more heresy.

It's easier for them to accept a spacefuture in which ALL human religions are gone, than one in which human religions WHICH ARE NOT THEIRS are still around.

It also helps that 2 of the religions we see in Trek have tangible roots in reality. The Bajorans don't just believe that there are spirits looking after them, there are literally trans-dimensional beings watching their backs except for when the Cardassians showed up to "culturally enrich" them.

And then we have the Klingons, whose gods were alien invaders. Hence the Klingon belief that they killed their gods because they were too much trouble.

That, too.

Though, it makes me wonder... What WERE the prophets doing when the Spoonheads were busy LITERALLY raping, pillaging and plundering Bajor? Having an extradimensional circlewank?

Why is it cowardly? It's always been a core part of Trek's message that religion is often inspired by real events (Apollo, that time those space natives thought Kirk was a god, that guy from Star Trek V, Picard in Who Watches the Watchers, the Prophets) but is useless for actually understanding them. People who study these things for what they are always understand them better than people who blindly worship them. If something is real, science will be able to explain it eventually. If it isn't real, you shouldn't believe in it.

>If it isn't real, you shouldn't believe in it.
>TFW what about Q? Or other beings at his power level? Aren't they 'Gods'?
I wouldn't blindly worship beings trying to trick me. But what Q does aren't tricks. Where is all your logic and science when a fucker can literally play with the very fabric of the universe and even bring the dead back to life if they wanted. What the heck do you call those things if not 'gods'? What can you do against a guy that can genocide a whole species with but a thought? The way the show treats Q is so stupid. They should be scared shitless of Q vs something like the Borg since the Q could if they wanted wipe the Borg out with a finger snap. But don't because they want to see how really smart their pets are.