/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Veeky Forums character sheets
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous thread Playable Races Thread

With all of the new races leaked today, what race are you most excited about?

Other urls found in this thread:

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gay
dictionary.com/browse/gay
en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/gay
fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5EVGM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Wtf is that thing in the picture?

It says Hobgoblin, but wtf.

What part is the mask and what part is her face? That said, she had a banging looking body for a hobgob

What's that you say? New races?

YOU'RE GODDAMN RIGHT THERE'S NEW RACES.

It's a hobgoblin wearing a devil mask.

Kenku, lizardfolk, and kobold are appreciated.
They still fucked up their one job though.

It's wearing a mask to look like a demon and conceal its identity, you can actually see what appears to be a seam just above the mouth.

Kobold paladins? Snek man ninjas? Bugbear wizards? I'm fucking in.

Lizard folk and Kenku, fuck yeah

>Aasimar
We already have it, bu its good to be an "official race" now, I hope they didnt nerf it

>Bugbear
Literally my mom's teddy bear

>Firbolg
We already have the stats, they changed a lot from the original

>Goblin
Finally

>Goliath
Literally no reason to be in this book

>Hobgoblin
I like it

>Kenku
Literally edgy Aarakokra and we already have Aarakokra

>Kobold
I think everyone was hoping for this

>Lizardfolk
A better dragonborn

>Orc
Murderhobo race

>Tabaxi
Literally who, besides its the worst catgirl race possible

>Triton
No information yet, but how will it be playable outside sea campaigns?

>Yuan-ti pureblood
Unexpected

That's the Tabaxi.

Tabaxi are cat people.

>furry shit
Those are abominations.

>Firebolg
>We already have the stats, they changed a lot from the original
What are they? Are firebolgs really medium?

Kenku are nothing like Arakokra.

For one they are crows. Two they can't fly. Three they can't speak they can only mimic sounds they have heard.

Deal with it kitty-boi.

They're medium, but have a large build in the sense that they can lift and drag and carry as if they were a Large creature.

Also I like how they're not just another +2 Strength +1 Constitution race, as we had a lot of those already.

Kobolds and Yuan-ti Purebloods first and foremost, with Orcs & Goblinoids close behind, followed by Aasimar, Tritons and Lizardfolk in third place.

Couldn't care less about Kenku or Goliaths. Firbolgs, seriously, what the fuck...

Don't Arakokra think Kenku are like crow demons or something?

I will.

Tabaxi were Forgotten Realms' original catfolk race back in 1e, jaguar/leopard-people. They're one of the oldest cat-people races in D&D, next to the Rakasta of Mystara.

>Aasimar
Unfitting for the Realms
>Bugbear
Okay
>Firbolg
They're now weird hippies instead of honorable warriors so I'm a bit peeved.
>Goblin
I don't like it, but okay.
>Goliath
They also seem unfitting for the Realms, but I guess people would be annoyed if there was an entry for a human sub-race to represent the Reghedmen.
>Hobgoblin
See: Goblin
>Kenku
I guess people liked them from 3e?
>Kobold
>Lizardfolk
>Orc
Fuck yeah, always loved how FR Orcs were actually people.
>Tabaxi
So Maztica is getting a reference I guess, though I imagine these tabaxi will all be the ones who came to Amn and escaped slavery.
>Triton
Pretty solid, wonder if they'll get something special to represent the special classes they had access to in SoFS
>Yuan-ti
What?

So did you.

you're high and gay
mostly gay tho

Seems really cool. Thus Firebolgs are the first race to get +2 wisdom, right?

What's the objectively best character sheet and why?

I have a feeling although it's written in the context of the Realms, a major monster book like this can't be constrained by that detail.

I think it's kind of funny that for such a largely peaceful sounding group of folks... they're gonna make fantastic war clerics.

The two races have nothing to do with each other really.

Kenku are mainly beggers and thieves.

C-cute...

Sounds like a fun race.

Yep! It always frustrated me that no race was built towards clerics or rangers.

Only for you, user~!

We are talking the same Forgotten Realms where there's a kingdom that's been ruled by Aasimar since at least 2nd edition, aren't we? And where we had a freaking elfin version of Aasimar in Dragon magazine?

Don't forget there were originally Tabaxi in some other jungle region - Chult, I think? - before the Maztica setting was a thing. That's why there's the whole ta-BAX-ee/tah-BAHSH-ee thing in the lore.

Yuan-ti have been around for many editions, Purebloods have always been the "they walk amongst humanoids as secret agents" branch of the family, and they had PC writeups back in 3.5's Serpent Kingdoms.

Why are Aasimar unfitting for the realms. They are not different then Teiflings.

Still tons better then the other catfolk pdf
both are unbalanced and shit though.

It was while preparing this image that I realized that I've become a grognard. I actually care about the fact they're different from how I wanted them, and am angry about it.

I'm kind of saddened by that realization.

they're both balanced
one is just gay

as author of the felau, thanks.
and if you want to let me know what's unbalanced about them, go ahead

Yours, since they're unisex?

that's a decent race if that's real

>Aasimar
5/10, the birdrace for people with lesser taste

>Bugbear
4/10, bugbears have always been dumb

>Firbolg
6/10

>Goblin
7/10, fun things are fun

>Goliath
2/10, "tall people are their own race" edition

>Hobgoblin
4/10

>Kenku
10/10, caw caw

>Kobold
8/10, fun things are fun

>Lizardfolk
7/10, edgy 10 year old edition

>Orc
6/10, generic but classic

>Tabaxi
-3/10, kys

>Triton
5/10 if it's not just "they swim good bro"

>Yuan-ti pureblood
8/10 in theory, 4/10 in practice. Hail snake Jesus.

I must have missed the Aasimar ruler.
That said, you are right about the Tabaxi, and I forgot about that bit.
On the Yuan-Ti, my What? was more on the fact that of all the races in Faerun, yuan-ti have been the most consistently represented as just straight up bad guys, while the other monstrous races usually have examples or writings about how they're people too.

Angelic/Celestial influences are incredibly rare in FR lore, whereas Demons/Devils popping up in certain places is far more regular.

Yeah don't see why Aasimar are problematic. They are canon to The Realms. If you feel they don't fit thematically then you don't have to use them though (though I'm not sure what role the FR has thematically, though, always seemed pretty kitchen-sink to me).

>if that's real
It was revealed one month ago

Aasimar are not birdpeople. They are the celestial version of Teiflings. They have celestial ancestry.

Don't really take that to heart, I haven't been able to play 5th since release, just pop in this thread to update what resources I had. So I can't say if they are really balanced with all the new stuff.

That's a really strong race

My apologies I was mixing Pathfinder/3.5 up with 5e I should have checked 5e first. They cut a shit ton of the monk stuff down in 5e though so I'm not surprised. Regardless though depending on the situation a monk may in fact chose to simply walk instead of ride a horse. If he is pressed for time, such as delivering a message from his temple to the local lord then he would probably ride. If he is on a quest to find a hidden master to learn a new style then he might run/walk to strength his body further as well as performing his other training on the road.

A monk may use an artifact weapon if he needs to rid the lands of a great evil that is bringing about terror and carnage on his people.

But if he is simply risking his own life fighting the guardian of a dungeon he may take the increased risk to better himself further.

Wait, why aren't the rest of the races from Elemental Evil Player's Companion presented? Where are the Genasi and the Aaracokra

girls can't be gay

fruitloops

>Aasimar
Alright, cool, I'm hopeful that the lore on them in the Realms is tasty and fits in enough.
>Bugbear
Fuck yeah.
>Firbolg
I'm slightly disappointed that they aren't the old version, but Goliath can still fill that niche (And might even if their lore is expanded any, they DO speak giant now after all) and I actually quite like the new direction on its own merits. Nice to have a fey thing that isn't a dainty shit.
>Goblin
Of course.
>Hobgoblin
Fuck yeah.
>Kenku
Cool shit.
>Kobold
Good.
>Lizardfolk
Oh hell yeah.
>Orc
I mean, why not, I run Eberron so I need a stat base, even though it may need tweaking.
>Tabaxi
At the rate they're reworking things, they're going to be anime dog girls
>Triton
Neat, good new statistic angle.
>Yuan-ti
Surprising. I wish that malisons were included because pic related, but this could be a treat nonetheless.

>No pixie/sprite/tiny race
>No gnolls
Oh well, I'll just have to make some DM's Guild Dosh.

Genasi are in Princes of the Apocalyse itself.

nah it's middle of the line, more near the top of middle-tier around where dwarves are

_________ ____

>I run Eberron
Good taste.

What are lesbians?
>tfw yuanti will not be anime lamia, at best they will be people with snake features, at worst they will be people with snake heads
>tfw no tiny race

>tfw no large race.

>tfw yuanti will not be anime lamia, at best they will be people with snake features, at worst they will be people with snake heads

Yuan-ti Malisons come in Snake headed, Snake armed, and Snake lower-bodied varieties. So some are anime lamia.

whose genesis?

Playable intellect devourers when?

IS there any connection between the Serpent-Gods and Dragons?

If a group of crows is called a murder, would a team of kenku be called a.... TPK?

lesbians aren't gay
gay = faggot
faggot = cocksucking queer
I'm glad I get to remind you

Mulhuroand's "God-King" rulers have been, as far as I'm aware, established as being aasimars pretty much since the race came out. 5e retconned them as being "aasimars and tieflings", though.

If it's of any interest, I've got a 5e Lamia race I'm fairly confident is balanced, although it could probably use some "fluffier" racial features.

gay
ɡā/
adjective
(of a person, especially a man) homosexual.
"that friend of yours, is he gay?"
synonyms: homosexual, lesbian; informal queer
"gay men and women"

Oh, neat. I'm getting the feeling I might want to go back and buy the hardcover adventures for the Player Content as well if they're peppering it out like that.

None what so ever.

Mershaulk is a evil sleeping god, Ssethe maybe Mershaulk (or Set) and Dendar is a Primordial being of Nightmares not a god.

Ray of Frost vs Firebolt
Is the 10ft of removed movement enough to outweigh the reduced range and damage?

Well you can also just grab the EE Players companion.

progressive leftists hijacked the term
this is a philosophical distinction - we're defining terms
for the purposes of my argument, are the terms in employ
wew lad

Yuan Ti are generally pretty evil. But there was an FR novel with a Pureblood protagonist.

Gnolls are generally seen as worse.

Well, I have that PDF, but I like physical copies of things.

That alone isn't, but fire being commonly resisted tips it off.

> Complaining about size
> Want to burden DM and other player with unnecessary mental note

3e made that mistake. They learned not to make it again.

And I just realized there was a softcover release. Excuse me.

The Gnoll previews are basically like "Gnolls are marauding bands of savages who worship the demon god of destruction and murder" so yea... not too surprised they didn't make the PC cut.

>so some are anime lamia
hope will never die

you get pseudo-large races at least.

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gay

Simple Definition of gay
: sexually attracted to someone who is the same sex
: of, relating to, or used by homosexuals

Lesbians are just as faggy as gay men.

They're even worse because they're women.

3e was too complicated, but that doesn't mean all it's complications are bad.

5e is like dnd for toddlers.

I like the snake-body and snake-head Malisons, but the snake-arms are fucking retarded.

>>Aasimar
Ok.

>>Bugbear
Bear-like mountain hobgoblins, meh

>>Firbolg
Nice to have a big-boy race that is more rooted in mythology and folklore than the goliaths.

>>Goblin
Goblins can be fun. I'm bored of even hearing about goblins since I've had more than enough exposure to them in my D&D-playing years, but I don't have anything against them as an option for people.

>>Goliath
Live on mountains, named after a Phillistine warrior. Kind of a bland combination of orcs, trolls, humans and dwarves to me, never found anything really interesting about them.

>>Hobgoblin
Biggo goblins. Same thing as goblins I suppose, hope their culture is elaborated on beyond "they are taller types of goblins that boss small goblins around".

>>Kenku
Small crow people are cool and interesting enough to me. Different enough from the aaracokra too to simply be "another bird race".

>>Kobold
It was unavoidable, but blech. Always found them kind of annoying. I know that's kind of the point.

>>Lizardfolk
I think they are more interesting than Dragonborn in appearance and lore. I know most people would rather play Dragonborn though.

>>Orc
You gotta have orcs. I'm wondering if this book will suggest players choose races that typically work well together, and which don't. Orcs and elves working together isn't an impossibility, but seems stupidly rare in most 1st-party settings.

>>Tabaxi
Don't know what they are, this thread seems to indicate they are catgirls or some variation of catgirls. I have no love for catgirls, since they simply seem to serve the role of satisfying a fetish.

>>Triton
This is kind of cool. I would never feature them as a PC race outside of very water-oriented campaigns. Islands, coasts, and under-da-sea - good. Anywhere else, choose another race.

>>Yuan-ti pureblood
Snek people seem to work best as villians. I don't know, I haven't had a lot of experience with them. Just don't know how you'd make this work outside of a total edgelord campaign.

no dicks no gay

I get to define my terms in my own arguments
gay = fag
fag = cockmongling dickmunching homofag

>I The generic cartoon heart is actually modeled after a woman ass
>Hence her shirt says "I Ass Fuck"
>This means she either likes anal or has a dick to ravage your virginial bum

dictionary.com/browse/gay

adjective, gayer, gayest.
of, relating to, or exhibiting sexual desire or behavior directed toward a person or persons of one's own sex; homosexual:
a gay couple.
Antonyms: straight.
of, indicating, or supporting homosexual interests or issues:
a gay organization.

>virginial bum
please, this is Veeky Forums

we're all faggots

>appealing to authority
that's a fallacy fag

Can people discuss this on /lgbt/ or /pol/? This is the D&D 5e Thread

In fact in FR there have been a grand total of 2 Good Aligned Gnolls in pretty much all of it's sources.

Garl Gnarlclaw a Gnoll Harper Agent who joins gangs of Gnolls and bandits to spy on them for other harpers and groups that want to wipe them out. He is from the Neverwinter MMO

The other is Kurr from the 5e out of the Abyss Adventure. Kurr is a Fang of Yeenoghu who was infected by Demonic Madness. Unlike with pretty much everyone else it has affected, it's changes to Kurr were positive and made caused him to gain empathy lose his disire to hurt others and made him feel a great deal of guilty for all the horrible shit he has done.

This. /b/ works too. You're both shitposting, no one else gives a fuck.

They're a race of Stone Age cultural level humanoid jaguars or leopards (depending on the region) native to the tropics. They were major players on Maztica, the Faerun South America, but I think they're also in... Chult? I don't know, the main continent's tropical jungle reason. They're peaceful hunter-gatherers, extremely fast - I think the math works out at being able to move roughly 160 feet in a turn at the cost of having no movement in the next turn.

Tritons, though, are the "merfolk with legs" native outsiders, so they actually ARE good for campaigns not set under the water.

Have the Kobold stats been leaked yet?

en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/gay

gay
ADJECTIVE

1(of a person, especially a man) homosexual.

1.1Relating to or used by homosexuals.
‘a gay bar’

wanna talk about how there are literally cock-loving revenants in Curse of Strahd?
that's both about fags *AND* 5e
why aren't you progressive like our Lord and Savior Mearls?

So wait, were these leaks confirmed? I might not have seen the thread were they were confirmed if they were in the first place.

Hobgoblins culture wise have been compared to the Spartans. They are pretty interesting.

They're pretty much confirmed, as they're from the official Fantasy Grounds release of the game. The leak only happened about 30 minutes ago and I felt like I needed to tell the internet.

Yeah, via the Fantasy Grounds page for VGtM. fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5EVGM

Third image at the bottom.

>why aren't you progressive like our Lord and Savior Mearls?
I am, but I know this discussion will lead to nowhere

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

>I am