/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Retreat From Moscow Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mediafire.com/folder/h14yg76hee9z3/Napoleon's_Army_and_Allies
mediafire.com/file/g88b3q929usm9kw/Osprey - CBT 001 - French Guardsman vs Russian Jaeger.pdf
mediafire.com/file/wzcuc9i0m8xxs3g/Osprey - MAA 185 - Russian Army of the Napoleonic Wars (1) Infantry.pdf
mediafire.com/file/dq7fyc54czhaoeq/Osprey - MAA 189 - Russian Army of the Napoleonic Wars (2) Cavalry.pdf
mediafire.com/file/xxr7my4h7zdytj4/Osprey - WAR 051 - Russian Grenadiers and Infantry 1799-1815.pdf
mediafire.com/file/8cs4wq65s8q46c3/Osprey - WAR 067 - The Cossacks 1799-1815.pdf
mediafire.com/file/3af9ye6dwe40dq3/Haythornthwaite - Uniforms of the Retreat From Moscow.pdf
navalwar.boards.net//
artcurial.com/en/asp/searchresults.asp?pg=1&ps=18&st=D&sale_no=3114
mega.nz/#!ihVVURrb!647k88JCFTNerdvIZnrRPUh1drOeYU5Rl8iFFXf1lSA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Königsberg-class_cruiser_(1927)
plasticsoldierreview.com/review.aspx?id=2509
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ

Desired scans :
Black Powder supplements
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest

3rd of November in military history:

1468 – Liège is sacked by Charles I of Burgundy's troops.
1492 – Peace of Etaples between Henry VII and Charles VIII.
1783 – The American Continental Army is disbanded.
1812 – Napoleon's armies are defeated at the Battle of Vyazma.
1867 – Giuseppe Garibaldi and his followers are defeated in the Battle of Mentana and fail to end the Pope's Temporal power in Rome (it would be achieved three years later).
1881 – The Mapuche uprising of 1881 begins in Chile.
1883 – American Old West: Self-described "Black Bart the poet" gets away with his last stagecoach robbery, but leaves a clue that eventually leads to his capture.
1898 – France withdraws its troops from Fashoda (now in Sudan), ending the Fashoda Incident.
1918 – Austria-Hungary enters into the Armistice of Villa Giusti with the Allies, and the Habsburg-ruled empire dissolves.
1918 – The German Revolution of 1918–19 begins when 40,000 sailors take over the port in Kiel.
1930 – Getúlio Dornelles Vargas becomes Head of the Provisional Government in Brazil after a bloodless coup.
1942 – World War II: The Koli Point action begins during the Guadalcanal Campaign.
1943 – World War II: Five hundred aircraft of the U.S. 8th Air Force devastate Wilhelmshaven harbor in Germany.
1944 – World War II: Two supreme commanders of the Slovak National Uprising, Generals Ján Golian and Rudolf Viest are captured, tortured and later executed by German forces.
1967 – Vietnam War: The Battle of Dak To begins.
1969 – Vietnam War: U.S. President Richard M. Nixon addresses the nation on television and radio, asking the "silent majority" to join him in solidarity on the Vietnam War effort and to support his policies.
1988 – Sri Lankan Tamil mercenaries try to overthrow the Maldivian government. At President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom's request, the Indian military suppresses the coup attempt within 24 hours.

It is 204 years since the Battle of Vyazma, which occurred at the beginning of Napoleon's retreat from Moscow. In this encounter, the rear guard of the Grande Armée was defeated by the Russians commanded by General Mikhail Andreyevich Miloradovich. Although the French repelled Miloradovich's attempt to encircle and destroy the corps of Louis Nicolas Davout, they withdrew in a partial state of disorder after suffering heavy casualties from continued Russian attacks. The French reversal at Vyazma was not decisive, but it was noteworthy because of its disruptive impact on the Grande Armée's retreat.

Two weeks earlier Napoleon began his retreat from Moscow because this city was isolated deep in enemy territory and was thus unsuitable as the Grande Armée's winter quarters. His objective at this stage of the retreat was to lead the Grande Armée to his closest depot, Smolensk, which was 270 miles (430 km) west of Moscow. The campaign was then to be recommenced in the spring.

They were compelled to backtrack and retreat along the same road used in their earlier advance on Moscow. Because the territory alongside this road had been economically ravaged by earlier campaigning, the retreat imposed on the Grande Armée extreme conditions of privation and attrition. Lack of foodstuffs soon led to demoralization in the French ranks. By November 3, the day of the action at Vyazma, the retreating Grande Armée was stretched out in a column 60 miles (100 km) long.

The Russians organized themselves into three groups while pursuing the French. First were 5,000 Cossacks commanded by Ataman Platov. This group was supported by Paskevich's 26th Division, with 4,000 troops. Marching slightly to the south was General Miloradovich with the II and IV Infantry Corps, some 14,000 troops in all, and the II and III Cavalry Corps, which amounted to 3,500 soldiers. Miloradovich coordinated the activity of all of these troops.. The main Russian army led by Kutuzov marched further to the south.

On the evening of November 2 Miloradovich noticed a gap between Davout's troops, situated to the east at Fedorovskoye, and the troops of Eugene and Poniatowski located to the west just outside Vyazma. Recognizing an opportunity to isolate and destroy Davout's corps, the aggressive Miloradovich decided to attack early the next morning.

At 0800, Miloradovich's cavalry attacked the disorganized French column holding the length of road which separated Davout from Eugene and Poniatowski. He also ordered his artillery, positioned on nearby heights, to begin a cannonade. The attack was a complete success, as it captured the French IV Corps baggage train and sent the French troops fleeing in disarray. Miloradovich then placed infantrymen and horse batteries astraddle the road, thereby severing Davout's connection with the rest of the French army.

Simultaneously, Platov's Cossacks attacked Davout from the east. Davout's infantrymen formed squares to meet the attack, and his artillerymen set up their pieces to return Miloradovich's fire. The 14,000 exhausted, hunger-weakened soldiers of Davout's Corps were now at risk of being overwhelmed and destroyed by the Russians.

Fortunately for Davout, there was a weakness in the Russian plan of attack, in that the Russian cavalry had attacked the Vyazma-Fedorovskoye road that morning without the full support of the II and IV Infantry Corps. Lacking sufficient numbers of infantrymen to consolidate their hold on the Vyazma-Fedorovskoye road, Miloradovich's cavalry was vulnerable to a determined French counterattack.

At this juncture, Davout's fortunes changed for the better. His infantrymen to the east repulsed the cossacks with steady, disciplined musketfire. More importantly, Eugene heard the cannon fire engulfing Davout's position to the rear, and immediately ordered his troops to counterattack Miloradovich and regain possession of the Vyazma-Fedorovskoye road.

Eugene's counterattack fell on the rear of the troops Miloradovich had positioned on the road facing Davout. This counterattack was conducted by two of Eugene's Italian divisions, one division of Poles from Poniatowski's Corps, and a single regiment of troops sent to the scene by Ney. Davout, upon seeing these troops advancing to rescue him, sent his infantrymen to attack as well. Miloradovich's cavalry and his small body of infantrymen were now attacked from the east and the west, including being enveloped in French artillery shot, and were compelled to retreat from the road. Thanks to Eugene's counterattack, a passageway had been created on the Vyazma-Fedorovskoye road for Davout to continue his retreat.

The Russians at this point had been repulsed at all points, but they were hardly finished with the battle. Having pulled back from Eugene's attack, Miloradovich ordered his troops to reposition themselves parallel to the road. A heavy cannonade was then commenced against Davout's troops as they retreated toward Vyazma. Davout's artillery was unable to respond effectively to the Russian fire, and panic broke out among his troops. The damage wrought by the Russian artillery was such that many were compelled to abandon the road, and to retreat across an open field in their desperation to reach safety. By 10am Davout's battered corps had taken shelter behind Eugene.

At 2pm, Davout, Eugene, and Poniatowski conferred, and they concluded that victory was not possible given the disorganization in the French units, and the three French corps had retreated into Vyazma. At 4pm, the fighting spread into the town of Vyazma itself, which at this point was consumed by flames. By now infantry as well as detachments of cossacks were engaging the French in torrid, close quarters combat on the streets. The French were hard pressed, and had to fight desperately to hold the Russians off while evacuating the town.

By 8pm, the fighting was over. The corps of Davout, Eugene, and Poniatowski had retreated west of Vyazma, bruised but safe. Ney's rearguard was last to withdraw from the town, suffering heavy losses in a final bayonet fight with a force of Russian grenadiers.In order to cover their retreat, the French had set large sections of Vyazma on fire, resulting in many wounded from both sides burning to death.

That evening, Ney's corps remained on the outskirts of Vyazma to block the Russians. However, given the Russians' aggression, great danger remained, and Ney had to continue his retreating movement before dawn in order not to risk the loss of his troops.

The next day, withdrawing along a road heaped for miles with burning, overturned wagons, and blown-up ammunition caches, Ney dispatched an entire series of grim reports to Napoleon detailing the lost battle.

Vyazma represented a defeat of the Grande Armée's rearguard, as French losses in this battle, 6,000 to 8,000 casualties, including 4,000 lost as prisoners to the Russians, were prohibitive. The shock of the Russian attack reduced many French units to a state of disarray, and owing to the speed with which their retreat had to be resumed, order was never restored within them. These disorganized units became easy targets for Cossack raids in the following days. Russian casualties at Vyazma were no more than 1,800 killed and wounded, out of 26,500 troops involved.

The retreat from Moscow is a historical epic, enshrined in literature by Tolstoy and a vivid chapter in military history. Wargaming the first major clash of that ordeal represents the height of everything you can do with the weapons and tactics of the period. The 'French' forces actually comprise a large mix of Italian, German and Polish units providing a lot of variety. The Russians have a mass of Cossacks operating in a mainly regular fashion, as well as a bunch of elite grenadiers. You have an interesting mix of generals especially on the French side; Davout, Eugene and Ney are all worthy boots to fill. There is also the massive challenge for the French player to 'win' the battle and escape with their force intact.

mediafire.com/folder/h14yg76hee9z3/Napoleon's_Army_and_Allies
mediafire.com/file/g88b3q929usm9kw/Osprey - CBT 001 - French Guardsman vs Russian Jaeger.pdf
mediafire.com/file/wzcuc9i0m8xxs3g/Osprey - MAA 185 - Russian Army of the Napoleonic Wars (1) Infantry.pdf
mediafire.com/file/dq7fyc54czhaoeq/Osprey - MAA 189 - Russian Army of the Napoleonic Wars (2) Cavalry.pdf
mediafire.com/file/xxr7my4h7zdytj4/Osprey - WAR 051 - Russian Grenadiers and Infantry 1799-1815.pdf
mediafire.com/file/8cs4wq65s8q46c3/Osprey - WAR 067 - The Cossacks 1799-1815.pdf
mediafire.com/file/3af9ye6dwe40dq3/Haythornthwaite - Uniforms of the Retreat From Moscow.pdf

This month's community project is a recon or scout asset.

I asked already in previous thread, but I have to try one more time.

Any polfags here having rulebook of pic related, ogniem i mieczem, in original polish languge?

Yeah, USN has thusfar been the models I've least looked forward to painting, because some of the measures are boring as hell. I've painted an Omaha CL and LSD Gunston Hall, and that's it so far. I know that for at least some of the stuff I have, I'll get to paint some neat camo, but I've had a hard time getting enthused about them.

You didn't specify era, so I'm assuming WWII.

You should check out Naval War. it's a new living system that's under development. It plays fast and cinematically like VAS, but it has the feel of a bit more complexity, and there's a much more pronounced difference between nations. Definitely check it out.

>navalwar.boards.net//

There's also General Quarters 3 which is great if you're looking for something more on the level of Battletech in terms of complexity (that is, you can do a whole hell of a lot with it, and once you memorize a few of charts, it speeds up a lot, but has optional rules galore.) It's in the Naval MF in the OP, as is Victory at Sea and OOB if you don't still have the books.

Some people also really like GQ1/2, because they're apparently more simple than GQ 3, and I know there's a bunch of extra homemade shipcards available, so there's that.

If you want some interwar stuff, and included construction/conversion rules, check out Grand Fleets, also in the OP. It covers WWI up to 1939.

I've got the desire to take part in a bolt action tournament, anyone got any experience?

What exactly do you want to know?

Yeah.

If you want to despise the game and take every last ounce of history out of it, feel free to do so. Otherwise, don't.

Oh come on. A tournament can be fun too. Its not like you have to destroy all your historical correct lists and minis once you played a tournament list.

Have fun with your 8th army painted up for Normandy supported by a Lee playing against Japanese bamboo fighters in the Ardennes, then.

Its a game user. And after it everything will be back to normal.
If you don't like tournaments then thats ok, i don't enjoy them to much either, but some people do.
No reason to be overly negative about it. Its not hurting you in your own gaming right?

Whatever mate, but don't start to cry once the tournament is over and you want to burn your minis because of all the minmaxing you witnessed.

I'm not the guy who asked for advise. I know tournament lists and i usually don't play lists like that. But once in a while the environment of a tournament is fun.

Yeah, the MOAB tournament in Sydney, Aus, last month had a rule for the tournament that you had to make a historical list. They made you show the proof and reasoning of force selection when you submitted your list to the officials. Not all things that people enjoy are bad.

That sounds cool, but i doubt there are many tournaments with a rule for historical lists.

>African Commonwealth troops in Burma- Where the fuck do I read about them?
>Indians are neglected but at least there's a historiography around them...

I recommend a good book user: "Fighting for Britain: African Soldiers in the Second World War" by David Killingray, which I read a couple of years ago. Searching through my folders I found a history of the British 82nd (West African) Division, which might be of interest to you. Certainly you've picked an obscure part of an obscure campaign.

Brits painted for Normandy would work well in the jungles of Burma fighting the japs

Sounds like you've had a bad experience. You have played a BA tournament right? or are you just imagining what it might be like?

Tournaments are always competitive, but should be fun

Sounds like the way to go. Good luck man! what faction do you play? I assume you'll look at historical OOBs and try to put together something both accurate and competitive? Should be a fun challenge. Keep us posted on how it goes and what kind of list you end up going for

Behold a British Lee/Grant that has been fighting the Japanese around the Battle of Meiktila, Burma

Nope and I haven't ever seen a full scan/PDF of the Polish version. Only fragments, demo rules, playing aids and the like.

The Normandy Tank Museum recently had to shut down and they auctioned off all their mannequins, equipment and vehicles. A working and well-maintained Greyhound went for 125,000 euro (roughly double estimation), and a Sherman for 300,000.

artcurial.com/en/asp/searchresults.asp?pg=1&ps=18&st=D&sale_no=3114

Here's the catalogue in pdf:

mega.nz/#!ihVVURrb!647k88JCFTNerdvIZnrRPUh1drOeYU5Rl8iFFXf1lSA

Sounds like a lot of work for the judges to check. Cool that they did it but most places aren't going to put the effort in.

Exactly. Also it requires the judges to have alot of knowledge themselves.
And then there is the possibility (we know this is going to happen) that someone puts together a list, the judges would tell him its not historical and he gets butthurt and knows everything better than they.

Would be pretty simple to implement. Provide the players with some comprehensive OOBs to choose from (ideally one website), and get them to specify which force they went for.

Then all you have to do is check their force against their chosen OOB.

Regarding Bolt Action tournaments. Since we don't have any here in Sweden, how do they fix list building?
Do early war lists get more points/Victory points or do late vs. early never happen?

Its up to the tournament initiators really.
Here (Germany) some follow the somewhat "official" rules and the results count towards the ladder, others are just for fun with houserules or "historical lists only"-requirements. A while ago there was a "1942" tournament for example.

If its an official tournament, then you won't see much "early" war lists. Of course some of the most min-maxed lists require some early war units together with 1945 stuff, but thats how this works.
I don't think there is some kind of "bonus" in victory points for the most historical army or for weaker armies in general.
Usually the best painted army gets a price too though.

Currently the community is discussing if 1000 pts shoud be standard for tournaments or if it should be increased to 1250.

Oh god i hate when things like that happen

1000pts can feel just a bit too restictive
i can get plenty on the table but you'll have quite dull choices. i wouldn't take my firefly at 1000pts

>1000pts can feel just a bit too restictive

Exactly thats the thought behind it. You rarely saw big tanks etc so for the next season an increase to 1250 is likely to happen i think.

Really sad to see museums getting closed. I hope most of the nice stuff went to other museums and not to private collectors who lock it away in their basements.

My solution has always been to buy fun/themed rather than winning, so what if the Grant is a better choice for.... reasons, the firefly is fun, so get one.

Way to miss the fucking point.

Yeah I couldn't find anything neither. And when i asked on some local gaming forum I received a shitstorm how can I not support our national creation. Pay first - decide later. Retards.

Perhaps you needed a point with less possibility of existing - like Polish vs Japanese.
Worrying about historical accuracy in such a historical-lite game like BA seems like a bit of a waste of energy.

Ideally a ww2 game should have periods set in stone and encourage historical lists by having units behave the way they did irl. Points costs should reflect the cost of production and rarity/abundance of each unit. Make units that were widespread relatively cost effective, and units that were rare less cost effective.
That way the game itself encourages historical lists, rather than having to implement limitations or strict OOB selections.

Read the English rulebook, decide if you like it, buy the Polish book. Ask around if someone can lend the book to you for a read. Check if anyone locally plays and ask for a game.

For fuck's sake, it's not that hard.

Thank you for your "great" tip. Asking once in this thread isn't that hard either.
You have the pdf? No? Then gtfo and move along. Focus on other parts thats seem more interesting / less stressing for you.

Twice, and calling them "retards" for saying no for a pirated copy of the game from their own country who put obvious love and effort into the game (both the presentation of the rulebook and the figures themselves), is pretty fucking stupid.

No problem, hope my "great" tip helps.

I've been hunting for a pdf of Dux Bellorum for a while, if anyone has a copy?

Aren't there some polish pirate communities with ebook sections where you could ask?

Third Pole in thread here: they had problem to cope with keeping popular (for the scale of the hobby) WH RP 1 ED. The Enemy Within vastly overpriced and long OOP supplements afloat. And RPG is way more popular than wargaming, especially historical, in Poland. So the chances that any of those guys would care to put up with scanning such a big, colourfull book for a few dozen downloads are rather slim.

Anyway I agree with Wargamer is a bro-tier company that did much to make place for historicals in the world ruled indefinietly by Warhammer Fantasy Batttles (and lately much 40k).

>Pay first - decide later. Retards.
this is how literally 0 purchasing happens in the real world you absolute mug. It's just you pretending you aren't a pirate you just have more "sensible ethics". If you are a pirate, fine it's Veeky Forums who cares, but own up to it.

>see a new thread
>already 44 posts
>it's a bolt action historicity debate
well colour me surprised

>Why not just read the english one in the horse and musket folder?

that wasn't supposed to be greentexted

Why not get your bro to learn english will proberly be easier?

That's what I meant, as he mentioned he knows the English is in the folder.

I've got a group of British Commando that I just finished for Bolt Action (still waiting on decals for Bren carrier, but aside from that they're done, anyway). They aren't technically LRDG, but Commando were occasionally used interchangably on those duties. Would those count as a legitimate recon asset?

That's just too sad... Another closely related good bit of news albeit in a different part of the world is that Parola tank museum in Finland succeeded in crowdfunding a shelter for their tanks that are currently sitting outdoors like the only BT-42 in existence. And perhaps those tanks from the Normandy Tank Museum will go to good and loving hands.

Here's the first half of my submission for this month's project: A pair of German K-class cruisers.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Königsberg-class_cruiser_(1927)

I went ahead and did both in Baltic camo, even though I'm pretty sure that's probably a bit incorrect. It also doesn't quite pop as much as I'd hoped, at least in this picture.

I've got a second batch of cruisers to do if I get the chance, and if I do I'll post the whole lot together.

I spent a good deal of time mulling over basing as well. I settled on magnetic as a way to have my cake and eat it too, so that I can have the option to remove individual casualties for WAB/WAC and still have the easier mobility of multiple-based systems like KoW, Hail Caesar, TTS, etc. (as opposed to WHFB movement trays where models tip over easily, especially pikemen)

Got a big box of magnetic business card backings with a sticky end (to stick the business card on). Will stick these on foamcore or balsa wood, base the figs on galvanized steel washers

Pic related. Can make four-rank pike blocks of 24/32 and three-rank formations of more mobile heavy inf like hoplites or legionaries in 24 (3x8) or 18 (3x6) turning the strip sideways for three-rank formations. Also easy to just stick four figures on there for open-order skirmishers.

Not sure how cavalry will work because I don't have any yet, but I'm thinking two washers per mounted figure and will probably put 4 to a base

The magnet material is easy to cut through and trim to different sizes and I got a 100-ct box for about $12 from amazon

>and will probably put 4 to a base

3 to a base

bump

In *this* topic I asked once.
And yes - I insult company that forces me to buy product blindly. Rules to every system/game should be (and you know that majority of them ARE) shared so I can decide if I want to invest.
50$ for a rulebook is madness.

In the end it's just a company that cares about money and earns them by producing the only allowed miniatures for the game.

Even if the book is beautifully pictured and supported with lots of historical description let it be 50$, whatever, but straight rules, without additional fluff should be freely available.

Funny, looks like being a pirate is badly seen here.
>Meanwhile +20 pdfs in OP's.

Chill out corporate white knights, if nobody has this pdf fine. Just don't say trying to avoid paying is *less* ethical than making everybody pay for cat in the bag.

Christ, you're an insufferable cunt.

It's that special kind where ignorance of how what they're complaining about works coupled with conviction that anyone in opposition is badwrong. Or possibly badong.

I'm an ignorant asking for different language version of a pdf that is already available in english at this very topic?
Cool story.

I never said any of you willing to pay for rules is wrong. I don't see why suddenly me asking for pdf, on a board where you can already find rules for almost every existing system.

I guess as long as you keep it english you're not a pirate, anyway, thanks to anons who weren't overreacting like these two punks and proved me it's really hard to find original version.

Know what scale that is? Looks good.

Pretty sure it's 1:72 by Modelcollect

Any of you bolt action guys know of any counters for the soviet Ba-64? The thing is hilariously good and nothing seems to be able to kill it

I'm playing Germany did a big game today, I won the infantry game but that armoured car just zoomed around and killed my shit, and nuked my drug in the first turn.

>and nuked my drug in the first turn.
Do you mean "Stug" or did they in fact torch your stash of panzerschokolade?

No big problem NEA, perhaps you could just focus on a single sniper or recce dude from the group if you wanted to be particular.

Haha yup, it did indeed off the stug that was carrying my stash. For real though, that thing is a beast.

What do you mean nothing could kill it? Recce rules were nerfed so it shouldn't have been too hard to pin down unless it's got some sort of special snowflake rule.

How did BA fail so monumentally at modeling the BA-64? It has 1 machine gun and ~15mm of armor. That really shouldn't be a problem for any well equipped infantry platoon, and the first AT gun of any caliber should wreck it one hit.

OK, what SPECIFICALLY is the problem with the BA-64 under Bolt Action rules?

Reece. The damn thing is immune to panzerfausts and it's closed topped so regular infantry can't hurt it with regular shooting. The things weapons shred infantry so it can just sit in the middle of the battlefield and dominate while as long as it has some cover within 6" to run to.

I dont play BA, just sounds like its performing highly unrealistically.

It should be a cheap light vehicle that can be taken down with the first rocket or AT rifle, or perhaps sustained HMG fire.

>closed topped
it has an open topped turret. and MGs would still be able to shoot out the tires and likely even penetrate the armor in many places - 4mm is the thinnest armor which an MG should be able to punch through - or at least cause lethal fragments to splinter off the inside, even without actually penetrating.

You realize you only get one recce move now right? And if it's already been issued an order dice that turn (such as to fire or move) it can't recce AT ALL.

It really shouldn't be giving you that much trouble. Although saying it's immune to panzerfauts implies you're having some bad luck with your dice as well.

Also holy fuck this new super captcha is annoying.

He is overexaggerating though. It behaves like every other armored car in the game, i.e. it has the recce rule which means it can reverse move once if the enemy wants to shoot at it and the vehicle hasn't done anything in this round yet. Played by a good player vehicles with that rule can be hard to kill, but they are certainly not immune to Panzerfausts or anything else.

Its pretty simple: Wait for it to move, then shot at it and it can't esacape with its reverse move, or shoot at it, let it reverse and then use a 2nd unit to shoot it again and it can't move away.

Maybe he played the old rules without the nerf though, but even then recce vehicles weren't immune.

>closed/open topped

There are several versions of that vehicle.
BA-64: Open topped with mmg (medium mg)
BA-64B: Closed turret (costs +5 points)
BA-64DShK (+20 points, closed turret and heavy mg instead of medium)

None of these "shreds" infantry though. Its just a mobile machine gun. There are far more powerful armored cars in the soviet army book. BA-64 is the best looking one though

t user who built 2 BA-64s this month

Just found this pic..

>Tamiya hasn't abanndoned 1/48 armor
>They release new vehicles instead of re-using their existing chassis range for just new variants of Stugs and Panzer 4s.

i'm hyped more than i probably should.

>Rules to every system/game should be (and you know that majority of them ARE) shared so I can decide if I want to invest.
>50$ for a rulebook is madness.
English rulebook IS IN THE FUCKING OP.

...so, anyway! I curse the plunging pound, because one of these days I was totally going to buy a print copy of The Sword & The Flame. Guess I'll continue to make do with other good colonial games. Anyone got any good overview-reading suggestions on the Sudan or 2nd Anglo-Afghan War, by the way? Preferably non-Osprey, because Osprey's readily available.

Didn't the Perry brothers released a book about this? Go Strong into the Desert or something?

>Rules to every system/game should be (and you know that majority of them ARE) shared

I agree with you to some degree.
While i think they shouldn't offer everything for free, a basic "beginners rules" set should be available for free so people can try the core mechanics of the game.
No need for fancy artworks, huge army lists or scenarios but the basics should be downloadable as pdf for free.

If i like the rules then the purchase of a $50 book feels way more justified then buying it blind.
Or do it like Warlord: The actual book costs 30, the ebook via amazon costs 10 (often even cheaper during amazon sales). Thats a compromise i can accept too.

For the Afghan War read 'The Road to Kabul' by Brian Robson. See if you can track down Don Featherstone's various titles on the period, he was really into colonial Victorian wargaming (did some of the definitive Ospreys too). Don't forget your Kipling and your Flashman as well!

That's what I'm saying bro.

Anyway, the OP's scan of the By Fire and Sword Armylist is missing a page.
Right after winged hussars description there's a jump to Cossacks and Pancerni.
Table with stats for hussars is missing.
I believe it's page 197~.
Could any user deliver a photo or scan of this table?

[Metal intensifies]

Sorry wasn't meant to link to your post

Hopefully you guys can help me a little here.

I just found pic related on the warlord games website. I think its one of the re-released wargames factory boxes. Same with the woodland indians box.
How is the quality of these boxes?
Is the box accurate in terms of "uniform" and weapons?

I never bought any miniatures from that time period, but somehow i feel that i want to have some of these minis.

If they suck, what minis do you recommend instead?

Get Churchill's "The Story of the Malakand Field Force"

The wargames factory stuff is ok, some of the details are a little off in terms of casting quality. It's very obvious they were made in CAD or some other 3D program, they have that CGI model look about them.

Also in spite of being plastic they aren't very modular, at least the indians aren't.

I don't really know anything about the period but people have mentioned on here that they are more "Hollywood" than they are historic.

Do you think 3d printing will allow for economic production of obscure historic figures? I don't mean shapeway amateurs, I mean niche companies producing quality figures at competitive prices. Or are we going to be stuck with shapeways style $12 for a few 6mm figs of variable quality?

plasticsoldierreview.com/review.aspx?id=2509

>Do you think 3d printing will allow for economic production of obscure historic figures?
Print the master, cast the rest from metal or resin. 3d printed shit will be expensive for a good while, and casting them up is much cheaper, better for the customer, and the company won't be dependent on an outside 3d printer in case they don't have their own (which is likely if they are a small company).

Getting the kind of results people are used to in terms of figure quality out of pure printing is still a while off to be even remotely accessible and economic. Right now nearly all the major companies in the industry use 3d printing for creating masters, some more noticeably than others, and they'll retain an economic advantage as long as it's still cheaper and easier to buy something that has been mass-produced, even when home printing catches up in terms of detail.

image unrelated.

In a couple of years maybe. At this point its still cheaper to cast in resin or metal.

I consider some of the prices on shapeways to be ok-ish, if its a vehicle not available anywhere else but most stuff is way to expensive at this point, even the lowest quality options (which look horrible).

Yeah, I saw a guy somewhere that paid $90 for a BMP-3. I don't recall if it was 28mm or 20mm but either way that's crazy. He could probably have gotten a higher-quality resin one for cheaper

>He could probably have gotten a higher-quality resin one for cheaper

Well, he probably couldn't because some vehicles are simply not available in some scales. Thats why Shapeways/3d-printing is a good thing (if it becomes reasonably cheap)

You can simply use the software to re-scale your mini/vehicle (within reason of course, otherwise details get lost etc) and the printer does the work. No need for new molds and all.

Looking for maps. Specifically medieval era maps to run skirmishes on.

Empress make a 28mm BMP 3 that is available for 20/5 quid.

Maps on what level? Regional maps, maps of town? Maps of a battlefield?

Battlefield.

Ta. I've read (not enough) Kipling, and plenty of Featherstone. Bit of Flashman too. I'll look into the others!

I'm tempted to start a warband for this period purely for the shields.