Warhammer 40k General

Why is Chaos shit edition

>Rules
mega.nz/#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ!2tgBUTYI

mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ!ddAxALZD

mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg

mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ

>FAQ’s and Errata (outdated but official)
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40k 7th edition quick reference sheet(s).
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef.pdf

>Forgeworld Book index
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

>The Black Library(Stay the fuck away from the clowns)
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q!c4pGAJDb

Is there a rule of thumb how long a game should go in turns? What's your norm for 500, 850 and 1500 points?

In the rule book under game length. 5 turns roll to continue for 6-7.

Didn't see a Kill Team thread up. How's it look?

Noise Marines, 6
-champ w/ chainaxe, combi-melta
-sonic blaster (reaping volley)
-sonic blaster (relentless)
-blastmaster (infiltrate)
-sonic blaster
-bolter, pistol, CCW
166 pts

Spawn w/ MoS
33pts

You do 5 turns, then for the 6th you continue on a 3+, for 7th turn on a 4+, etc...

I've found this quite interesting from the outside, but it all seems so complicated...
Where do I start with WH40k? Is there a quick guide or something?

>reading the latest White Dwarf
>see the article on Dark Eldar
>has a headshot of Lileth and minor fluff
>think 'who does she remind me of'
>then it hits me
>GW wouldn't have done that, SURELY?
>it's...
>Sasha Grey

>Go onto the website
>Browse through all the armies and find one that you think looks coolest that isn't Imperial Kights or Sisters of Battle
>Google them and see if you still like their fluff
>Grab a codex and a Start Collecting! box if that faction has one

>being new to 40k

Don't buy the start collecting box without research. Some may be good but not all. Ork one has1 good model (painboy) and a troop choice you would be forced to take even though it is bad. Rest is garbage.

I aggree with finding one you like the looks/fluff on. After that take a look at 1d4chan or some other site with unit breakdowns so you can avoid spending money on bad models. Some armies are really weak right now so unless the people who play around you are down for some low pwered games I would avoid Orks chaos space marines and dark eldar.

>After that take a look at 1d4chan or some other site with unit breakdowns so you can avoid spending money on bad models
>1d4chan

You have something better? It is a shit show but will give a general idea of unit uses and strength.

>filename

The problem is it's existing in a hypothetical vacuum and uses old as fuck rules for some of the armies. For example, Blood Angels tells you to take Boltguns for your Death Company 'for a free shot', but Boltguns replace your Bolt Pistol, meaning less melee clout, which is what you want. You can then only replace your chainsword or bolter with a melee weapon, so you don't get any benefit out of it.

if the entire tactics pages were updated every time the meta changed (ie; when a new codex released) then it'd be OK.

Furthermore, encouraging people to get models because 'they're the best' just fosters WAACfaggotry early on and defeats the whole fucking point of the game. He doesn't need to dive in with netlisting and optimum efficiency listing yet.

>filename

Cant wait for 8th ed. Hopefully they reset the whole game like they did with AoS. Then I may win once in a while with IG.

then you'll be out of luck, all they've done is trimmed the fat.

How terrible are Harlequins? They seem like fun but global 5+ on infantry kind of scares me.

>Furthermore, encouraging people to get models because 'they're the best' just fosters WAACfaggotry early on and defeats the whole fucking point of the game. He doesn't need to dive in with netlisting and optimum efficiency listing yet.
Of course, but you DO want to avoid spending money on some units that you will then never use because you know how terrible they are. That can really depress a new player to learn "hey, those Nobz you poured your heart into? They're shit"

At least looking up SOMETHING for tactical advice can save a new player a lot of headache later on

They're 10/10-ok when allied to someone. They've got tricks yeah, but from what I remember their transport isn't great and they really lack ranged firepower (yes even the jester)

Have done 2 Death Jests and Maugan-Ra before.
Was fun.

You have a point, but my belief is that you get into a hobby because of the setting, models and the hobby itself (terrain and board making) and THEN you stay for the constant updates.

Because, at some point, those Nobz you bought, your very first models you spent days on and didn't thin your paints? Well, those you don't forget, I still regret losing my first painted models from 1997. I can still remember them though.

And hey, who knows, those Nobz might be OP in a couple of editions!

There's no Etc, turn 7 is the last turn.

>Nobz
>OP
>who knows

Seeing as they sre beither marines or nice xenos anyone with more than two months in the hobby can tell you they'll be shit forever.

Only by blatant ineptitude at BRB writing, lack of FAQ and players willing to intepret rules so creatively it borders blatant cheating can they ever be even mediocre.

Says you, we go until we get an unsaved game.

Okay fellas, having a quirky 1500 point match in Tabletop Simulator today against a friend that keeps losing to me for some reason or another no matter what kind of composition I bring to the table.

I want to try some silly dumb bullshit and bring an army built around rolling shitloads of dice. Like, as many as you can possibly think of, as consistently as possible.

Was thinking about picking a really fucking bloated Cult Mechanicus Numinous Conclave for maximum Corpuscarii shittery.

Any better suggestions or how to make it work properly?

But Nob Bikers in 5th were quite powerful and entirely in-line with RaW.

>shit forever

not true. As always, if you don't like the rules, write an email to their rule team and explain the problems with the rules and what can be done to fix it.

The wound spreading rule wa worded to let you spare heavy and special weapon users.

Nob bikers worked by mixing their gear, giving with choppas, shootaa, slugga and eavy armour so no two had identical loadout, making each model "differently armed" letting you spread wounds around the 2w t4 models.

While legal, it was abusing poorly thought out rules.

They're pretty good but they're fragile as fuck and completely focused on murdering elite units.

They lack any real way to take down hordes or medium/heavy vehicles without getting in to melee so bring a friend who can.

Nobz weren't the only ones who could take advantage of musical wounds, they just did it the best

>shitloads of dice
>opponent could really use a win
GREEN TIDE TIME

Speaking of Harlies, I'm wanting to start up a heavy harlequin focused army, what are some like bare minimum stuff to ally in to keep me somewhat competant?

You look at the fluff by whatever means you wish. 1d4 chan, lexicanum, novels, whatever.
Like what you see? Then look at the game being played. Check our a few non tourney games somehow online, or visit your FLGS.
If you visit your FLGS, DO NOT BUY ANYTHING ON YOUR FIRST VISIT. This is a trap, they want you to do this.
Instead look around, as questions, do more research. Ask if someone can demo the game for you.
Like what you see? The head back home and do some more research. Figure out what army you like the most, and the best way for you to get started.
Use the codex links in this thread to look at codexes and rules, then buy your models. Once you're sure about the army you want, buy the codex. There should be a rules update near 2nd quarter 2017, so don't buy a rulebook right now.

Due to bikes, doble wounds on "basic" troops and apammable klaws yeah they did it well.

Warrors were limited by ID krak

Those are the only multiwound infantry units i can think of with individual weapon option

Harlies are 100% formations. A small start would be heroes path, then if you want to expand cheggorath's jest (don't be fooled by the flavour text, a transport is manditory) and then just an extra two squads and 1/2 more star weavers for transports.

Can you take dedicated transports in a reclamation legion?

Unless it say you can't under Restrictions, you can.

They are not listed.

They are in the unit entry.

Quick question that may already be answered. Does 40k 8th edition actually have a release date?

I was curious and so asked my local war-gaming store and they said it comes out on the 16th of November (AUS) this year.

I have yet to see any information regarding 8ths release online, but just thought I'd share this (probably incorrect) info with you guys.

But dedicated transports are units of their own.

It likely has.

None published tho.

They are upgrades.

As many max-conscript infantry platoons as you can fit on the table. You don't do much better than 150 dice for 150 points.

>Cultists 5 PPM for minimum unit
>extra point for rifle
>GW only sells them in mixed groups of rifle ad pistol
Fucking hell. I want to run them, but the necessity of an expensive kitbash for some chaff units is less than endearing.

Just grab a pile of skinks and clanrats and ungors and run them as mutants.

>Warrors were limited by ID krak
So were nobz ya git
Warriors were just as bad, hell Tyranids as a whole were terribly balanced in that age.

Nob bikers are t5.
The warriors suffered from krak missiles, and more specificly IG massed 8/3 pie-plates.

Nob Bikers only get ID'd by S10 and above. So basically only Demolisher Cannons and shit can wreck them. Any T4 that's above 30 points per model without a ++ is stupidly overpriced with the abundance of S8+ and the majority of those are AP2.

Thing I've found with Tau:

There's too many ways to get massed 5/5 spam on larger platforms. No reason to run Fire Warriors or Kroot when your massed shooting can be gained from other things.

Personally I like stealth suits or remoras. Massed burst cannoning.

Not bad advice but I was meaning more from the other Eldar factions around a core of Harlequins. I'm wanting to stay as clowny and pure as possible and just try and cover some of my major weakpoints a bit.

Are you a Harlequin player in general? Got some advice?

>Why is Chaos shit edition
Because that's what the Chaos Gods want? They want their followers to suffer for better tasting raisins?

They want to make sure things are shit for everyone forever, but they don't want to actually overrun everything and lose their food source.

That would imply they have restraint. Can't be chaotic with restraint. Birds got to fly, whiny fags got whine on Veeky Forums, Chaos got to be chaotic.

FUCKK OFFF

Drop pods WHEEEEEENN

Yeah, but "Chaos" is a misnomer, isn't it?

Nurgle is downright orderly and lawful, Slaanesh gives no shits and Khorne is a barbarian. Barbarians are far from orderly, but it's very much small c chaos.

If the word Chaos is used in the broader sense rather than the term used for the dark powers and their servants, then Tzeentch is the only one that actually personifies and fully encompasses the concept.

You forget Malice.

Make me.
>drop pods when
When GW thinks you have been forgiven for 3.5. Probably. I don't know. I don't work for GW.
I'd say Malal/Malice did it better than Big Bird but Tzeentch has earned a golden star.
>Nurgle is downright orderly and lawful
He's the slow kind of chaos. The kind that drives you insane through boredom.

>grots benefit from Stikkbomb Chukkas

Nope--Runtherds carry Stikkbombs, so the Chukkas are confirmed worthless.

I'm more of a dark eldar mix so in not used to fielding good armies.
The things they're missing is long range anti tank to pop transports and such so allied detachment of scourges with haywire blasters and a reaver helps.
Their haywire/lance weapons are just overpriced versions of dark eldar guns.

Generally
>pistols a shit on anyone but your troupe master
>don't use the melta pistol within melta range
>power sword a shit
>caress is statistically the best melee weapon for a troupe master, not counting relics
>haywire grenades unless you're going caress and fusion pistol
>two harlies with no weapons to eat overwatch for the squad

They don't carry over between models.
S'why incubi suck, no matter how fancy grenades any IC carry the lads themselves are slower than Orks when going through cover.

Asked this last thread but wasn't able to stick around for the answer:

Has anyone considered the timing issues for joining ICs to units in relation to genecult and "infiltrating"?
Wouldn't a player have to roll one cult ambush dice for the unit, then roll a second cult ambush dice for the IC and deploy it in coherency with the unit to join it?

In 5th edition, the toughness bonus from bikes didn't count for ID, so Nob bikers did die from the ubiquitous krak missile.

>
Nobz didn't do it best, that would be Grey Knight Paladins. You could swap weapons for free and take master crafted on anything.

No you fabric.

Join the unit, then ambush.

They only had 3 option though didn't they?
Oh right MC counted as seperate weapon...

Yeah fuck 5th ed too.

Every edition is the worst apart from all the ither.

Painboys, Mad Dok, and Weirdboys don't have stikkbombs.

Assault grenades only work for the model that carries them, not the unit, so grots don't count have them either.

All in all, it's pretty useless.

Bikers and Deffkoptas don't have them either, but they can't get in transports anyways.

Pretty sure an IC can join the unit pre-deployment and would only require one roll on the ambush chart

So my older brother wants to play 40k and fell in love with Nurgle. Whats the best way to spend ~200USD?

I've only been playing for a year and havent faced daemons but I have heard it isn't the best new player army. The alternative is CSM as I've heard people have luck with Nurgle's bikers and terminators.

I'm playing (Non-Decurion) Necrons and my main opponents are Dark Eldar/Harelquins, Grey Knights and Tyranids/GSC

Not only that, but the psycannons, apothecary, and banner were all separate as well. It was trivially easy.

First off. Marines or Daemons?

Second, in my experience Nurgle armies need to be fairly large to work so you can both get your tough shit and the expensive killy stuff.

You do realize just how ICs are joined to units in deployment right? by deploying them in coherency. The only way for a IC to join a unit is deploy next to an already deployed unit, or in reserve

He is definetly leaning towards Daemons but I kind of want to talk him out of it if its a difficult army.

If he is leaning towards Daemons and isn't buyin GW direct you can get two Nurgle Start Collecting and a Daemon Prince and probably soar over 1000pts with ease.

The trouble is that Nurgle Demons are either just meatshield/point grabbers or very point intensive.

In my opinion Nurgle works best as a mashup between Demons, Marines and Renegade guardsmen.

I've thought about using Skaven, since they have a wide variety of models that could be used for artillery and the like, but I'd need to find a cheap supply of autopistols.

They're not that hard, they're just weird because they have psychic powers instead of a shooting phase.

Start by having it pick up any a great unclean one and two start collecting boxes, boom, there is his army.
He can build it in pretty much any direction from there and it's a good army, just pick him up the supplement for the best warlord traits, wargear and powers to play with.

I want to use custodes with my grey knights. Here's my 1850 list.

HQ:
Librarian lvl 2 - 110

Elites:
5x paladins, apothecary, 2x psycannons - 335

Troops:
5x strike squad - 110
5x strike squad - 110

Heavy Support:
Nemesis Dreadknight, teleporter, sword, heavy psycannon, heavy incinerator - 225
Nemesis Dreadknight, teleporter, sword, heavy psycannon, heavy incinerator - 225
Nemesis Dreadknight, teleporter, heavy psilencer, heavy incinerator - 210

Low:
Draigo - 245

Allies:
5 custodes, 2x sword/shield, 3x spears - 280

Total: 1850

Plan is have draigo gate into the back lines with custodes and librarian with paladins try and hold the center. Probably roll on divination. Strike squads hold objectives while I have 5 big threats on the table.

Are these good on the tabletop?

Any shitty projectile works for mutant rabble's autopistols. Crossbows, slings, thrown stones...

I started Nurgle CSM and then added Daemons and they've helped a ton. I switch between CSM and Daemons as to who gets the main detachment. It's been running pretty well. After ~1000pts of Daemons he can fit in ~500+ of CSM with some minimal cultists, a biker HQ and some nurgle bikers.

It is way bigger than you are looking for but here is my Nurgle list with CSM as the lead:

Nurgle csm CAD

*HQ*
Daemon Prince (315pts)
>2x Mastery Level (become Psyker), Nurgle, Power Armour, The Black Mace, Wings

Sorcerer (98pts)
>Combi-bolter, Force Sword, Spell familiar, Bike

*Troops*
(158pts)
2x 10 Chaos Cultists (79pts per)
>Cultist Champion, 9x Autogun Cultists, Mark of Nurgle

*Fast Attack*
5 Chaos Bikers (200pts)
>4x Chaos Biker, Mark of Nurgle, 2x Plasma Gun
+ Chaos Biker Champion
>Combi-plasma, Lightning Claw, Melta Bombs

*Heavy Support*
3 Obliterators (228pts)
>Mark of Nurgle

Allied Nurgle Daemon Detachment

*HQ*
Daemon Prince of Nurgle (370pts)
>Corruption, 2x D6 Greater Daemonic Reward, D6 Lesser Daemonic Reward, Daemonic Flight, Mastery 3, Warp-forged Armour

*Troops*
6 Nurglings (90pts)

*Elites*
Beast of Nurgle(52pts)

*Fast Attack*
5 Plague Drones of Nurgle (260pts)
>Death's Heads, Venom Sting

*Heavy Support*
Soul Grinder of Chaos (180pts)
>Phlegm Bombardment, Nurgle

2000/2000

Been trying to get myself a spraybooth for my airbrush, but I don't know where to start looking.
I was looking at one called Spraybooth AS3, anyone here got suggestions?
I tried asking /wip/ but no answer yet after 13hours.
Ironicly I got 777 trips on that post.

How would you run Tzeentch Daemons without summon spam? I'd like to run mono-god but it seems like Tzeentch might be one of the hardest to stand up on its own.

Wait, are you running the Custodes formation, or running them as allies? RAW you can't use them in an allied detachment.

BoringAsFuck/10

They have their own detachment now.

First off totally okay with Sasha Gray as a model for Lelith. Second and more importantly Dark Eldar mentioned in White Dwarf? Anything worth noting? Missed this past months White Dwarf

Dreadknights are not as scary as you think they are/10.

With pretty much any of my armies, removing any three of your "big threats" is simplicity itself, leaving me seriously outnumbering whichever two survive and grinding them to death by the endgame.

GW brings out new releases every Saturday, 16 november is on a wednesday.

this year wont be a new edition. if it comes, it will be around summer/fall 2017

Burning chariots, screamers, flamers, two squads of 11 pink horrors, soul grinder, lord of change and daemon prince.

A buddy from the shop started Nurgle Daemons earlier this year. He bought three start collecting boxes, 2 non GW models for a GUO and a DP, converted a helbrute to DP, bought a GW daemon prince, and finally picked up a Belakor (over the course of the year). Being a new player it took him time to figure out the psychic phase and what tables to roll on for which model and why but, he's got a fluffy and competent mono Nurgle build.

I've never had an opponent remove more than one Dreadknight first turn especially because I shunt them together into an enemy corner where half his army can't attack them. Its all about focusing your point of attack with Dreadknights and not sending them out individually. I most likely have more of a chance to remove one of your threats with shunting than you do of mine.

Does anyone think they will just plug in Death From the Skies and patch a few rules and call it a new edition? It seems like that would be in line with the last edition or two.

Do you think Sisters of Battle fantasize about having sex with the Emperor?

I'm assuming he was alive at one point.

>Not adhering to the sacred numbers of each Chaos God.
>In 2016.

According to rumors from multiple sources, 8th ed will have a major shift in plot and rules

That's why he asked if you're running them as allies or in the formation dumb dumb.

Only mark something as Allies if you're taking it as an Allied Detachment, otherwise give it the correct name.

No, you twat. Thats blasphemy. Most of them probably don't think much of sex outside of its necessity.

Take your fanfic daydreams somewhere else.

Literally any part of an Admech army would have fun with a Dreadknight.

I'm the guy with the list and not the same guy as him dumb dumb.