Arms and Armour thread

Haven't seen one in a hot minute. Lets dump.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ebiIMLA0L4c
youtube.com/watch?v=1XGS_Slqb_A
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>)

Any lurkers?

Masterwork Indian quality

I have a question. Which one is more preferable in brigandines. A lot of small plates or number of bigger plates with small plates filling the caps?

Which one is better if both provide same coverage for arguments sake?

What sorry son of a bitch gave these the go?

It really depends on the quality of construction and material. In general, the shift was to a denser arrangement of smaller plates, which was both economically superior, easier to maintain, and allowed greater range of motion without gaps.

This of course was happening all at the same time as new steel production technologies were making plate cheaper, stronger and more readily available to even the lower classes of soldiery.

is that.. roman lorica segmentata, chainmail. plate gauntlets, and a.. really fucking weird baby of a frogs mouth helmet and a visored helm that got a mohawk to piss off it's parents?

I knew these two would confuse people a lot. I got them from these Arms and Armour threads. No bloody idea what was behind

I thought so too. Thought it would be interesting to know what was in mind of Visby smiths when they made their coat of plate, so diverse!

s-stupid sexy armor!

Why is that armor so poorly fitted?

Because Indians. No idea why they made so shitty armor.

swag overload

Is there a reason for this or just pure aesthetics?

You put your finger in the ring and it makes it comfortable to hold the sword like its meant for thrusting. Look up rapiers and you'll notice they have the ring.

Later another ring was added on the other side of the swords in the photo so you wouldn't have to care which side faces the enemy.

So the arms there are just left with heavy cloth?

I like the Chinese/Korean style that incorporates shoulders of a similar style, either attached to the main piece or as an add on.

Probably because it's someone else's armor that let him wear it so he could take a "cool" picture.

What kind of weapons would dwarves use for fighting in the Underdark?

Really? I can't help thinking that would be rather uncomfortable.

Spears or other thrusting weapons with a decent but not excessive amount of reach. You can fight passed each other as well as deny an enemy from getting passed a pointy wall of death.

Yeah, I'd think little tight Testudo formations with spears and short swords would be best. As much as I like the visual of dwarfs with hammers and axes, spears and short swords are probably the most practical.

As says, it brings the point into line with your wrist, much like the trigger loops of a rapier or smallsword.

Multiple layers of quilted linen. The Gambeson is the base layer, as well as effective armour in its own right for most of history. They are remarkably effective.

Pic related, the inside of my gambeson is 6 layers of wool and cotton, between canvas weight linen. Arrows have a hard time getting through it, and it take a lot out of a cut, and pads the impact.

Because its shitty decorator armour made by people who have no idea how to into armour.

Spears, pavaise shields, grenados (primitive grenades), short thrusting swords, naptha/greek fire/oil

You're only going to the middle knuckle. You loose lateral leverage, but gain point control.

>Multiple layers of quilted linen.
Which is always underestimated in effectiveness I guess.

At the same time there are stories of a good sword cutting through mail, I would think it'd manage cloth easily.

There has to be a YouTube channel somewhere of a person using various weapons to hack at various armours and see the results.

>At the same time there are stories of a good sword cutting through mail, I would think it'd manage cloth easily.

Honestly, a load a crap. Even cheap butted maille over rudimentary padding (like a commercial pot holder) will stop a sword from cutting.

That said, you still have a three foot long, 2.5 pound chunk of steel, hitting at high speed, across a very small surface area, you'll probably still have a major contusion, if not broken bones. Good padding, and maille that fits is important.

Now, axes and polearms? Those can hack through. Thrusting is a good way to defeat the maille, but will still have the quilted defenses to deal with.

There is also one final variable that no one ever takes into account: Every video is of static targets. No one stands still in a fight, and your limbs are moved with impact.

I would argue against using any kind of fire based weapons other than grenades. I worry that the burning gasses released by the fire are too much and might cause breathing problems and other annoying stuff underground where ventilation is not a thing.

Otherwise I would agree with those weapons. Short stabby swords and spears. They would fight in close formations in phalanx/testudo.

In my homebrewed setting which hasn't received attention at all for past months, my dwarven fight with all kinds of short weapons underground. Their enemies are mostly dwarven sized underground critters or goblins. If some greater beast arrives it is easily contained due to dwarven architecture not being "great halls with high ceilings". Warfare underground is very messy in tight quarters and tunnels.

On land they form their phalanxes with their 3,5m long spears and their war picks and swords. Heavy usage of crossbows and cart mounted ballista/scorpio supports the dwarven army.

Pic kinda related to my dwarven.

I think Matt Easton mentioned that in one of his vids. There really isn't proper tests done to piece of armor in realistic situations. Common mistakes like butted mail instead of riveted and not proper background for the mail were the rest of the force can spread.

Of course I forgot the pic.

Deflection is absolutely a critical factor in anything penetrating anything else. I just think it's handy to know what is possible, for example if a sword can't penetrate mail & cloth under best conditions, it's unlikely to do so under poor ones.

I just think we have stats on ballistic penetration for modern weapons, but of course there isn't a lot of money made in spears and mail these days I guess.

That is a good point. If the mail and armor can withstand the hit in laboratory situation, in perfect situation. I should withstand the hit in not so great situation too.

But then having realistic setup for tests also isn't a bad thing at all. Iirc Matt Easton is organizing a proper test for riveted mail with pig carcass and all to do tests.

I AM SAVING THIS MOTHERFUCKIN THREAD

Maybe I'm a horrible Chinaboo or whatever, but the armour design just looks like such a great combination of simplicity and effectiveness.

Somewhere you have a a small town (or three) dedicated to just producing suits of these for the army. A few replaceable pieces that fit everyone more or less, and could make it of different materials depending on rank. This appeals to me in some weird part of my brain.

Knight Errant had some good vids on this stuff.
youtube.com/watch?v=ebiIMLA0L4c
youtube.com/watch?v=1XGS_Slqb_A

>axes

lmao pleb

Excuse you?

Is that Guts golden age sword? Handle is too long if that's the case.

Axes were fucking garbage lmao there is a reason why from 14th century onwards everyone had a sword as his sidearm but no one bothered with one handed axes.

nigga you dumb

Its so it can actually be swung.
Axes and Poll arms are the main weapon numbnuts. Civies use swords you damn pleb.

Daily reminder that 2-handed "great swords" are not practical and have never been practical in real use.

as usual Veeky Forums knows fuck all about history. Axes main weapons? Lmao maybe in Skyrim. Do they look like fucking civilians to you? Also archers had arming swords as their sidearms and so did the halberdiers and crossbowmen kill yourself.

Gee Renée, how can your mom lets you have THREE crossbows?

>Implies he is right when pointing out Non frontline combatants, and peasant soldiers used a sword as a side arm.
You almost had a real thought right there. I'm proud of you. Axes, maces and poll arms were primary weapons for knights. this is the main sword fighting weapon until people started to use less and less armor and moved onto rapiers. Notice how its a glorified meat cleaver, with all the weight at the head. Almost like an ax. Shut the fuck up scrub.

>peasant soldiers

and you showed you know fuck all about history again. There was no such thing as ''peasant soldiers'' retard.

>falchion
>main sword fighting weapon

it was literally only used by people too poor to afford a proper sword

Some interesting videos.

I like me a good flanged mace for some reason. How much heavier are they than a sword or axe, being much more and maybe cheaper steel.

Also does the twist in the middle do anything other than look cool?

The twist in that version does nothing other than look cool. While a sword might be 4 or 5 pounds a mace like that might be 10 or 15 lb unless its actually bigger. The thing I made to hurt a fucker through plate armor. If you swing your committing to the hit.

>The thing I
is* I did not make it.