/40krpg/ 40k RPG General

Tech Guard vs True Skitarii Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.45.160417), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now containing some of the DH2 content up to the first supplement.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.10) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/lfbawnl8buxaoc3

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.4) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/vyv56zze9m828d2

If weapons or factions change, such as the switch from Skitarii as Tech Guard to Legionaries, do you make those changes in your game, or do you keep things in stasis, essentially diverting from the actual setting?

Old thread: I'll give it to you this time

Other urls found in this thread:

wh40kart.im/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Lets be honest... most of the posters below have never played any of these games even once.

We all asked stupid questions once. We're here to help.

Why does FFG, a third party source, put out better lore than 90 percent of GW sources?

FFG is designing a setting where many kinds of story should be interesting, and many kinds of characters should be viable.
GW is designing a setting to sell models for a war game.
That's why we have shit tonnes of details on tiny variations of space marines, but relatively little on, say, how the nobility works, or what life is like for an average bureaucrat.
FFG's strength is that they are keeping all of the elements of the setting in mind and extrapolating them into different kinds of story, while GW basically just wants to make an action movie most of the time.

The rules for Only War mass battles seem like they're shit. Is there any other variation people uses?

Pretty much all the mass battle rulesets are various flavors of shit, pick your poison.

I usually just do oppossed command checks, or resolve things narratively.
Give some minor bonuses/penalties for troop quality, positioning, good plans, numbers, terrain etc.
In Deathwatch, whenever they have support it "cancels" x number of hordes. So for example, a platoon of Guardsmen and a tank in support is enough to take out two-three medium sized (20-30 magnitude) hordes. I allow the team leader to make a command check, again with penalties and bonuses based on various factors in the battle. If he fails, their followers are injured/killed/captured or otherwise removed from the battle, if he passes they survive. Impressive successes or failures add extra effects, like the Guard accidentally shelling their position, or going on a rampage of heroism and doing extra damage to the enemy.

What about participating in a massed batter? Like how do you not make it a command check followed by series of BS test?

There's a battle in No Surrender where you pop open a hatch and there's literally rank after rank of enemy standing in a big open cargo bay and then the two sides fight. I can't for the life of me think how to make that interesting.

Do you think it's possible for a DH2 party to take down a Lord of Change from BC? They handled genestealers from DW pretty well, and have a blank with them.

I guess it depends on how much XP they have and how actually scheming a brilliant you're playing the LoC.

The difference between clawed horrors from beyond the stars and a literal god of deception, strategy, and magic is qutie vast..

I mean, in theory, it's possible, sure. Likely? I seriously doubt it, even with a blank to hide behind.

They're around 20k. As for the LoC, they've been behind pretty much every bit of heresy the party's faced thus far. Everything's been planned right down to the individual red herrings. So I'd say the LoC has been played pretty straight thus far.

Normally I wouldn't dare throw such a disguised TPK at them, but they're set on taking the LoC down. I hope to make the battle cinematic as fuck, but all signs keep pointing to a TPK. Maybe that's a "good" end for a 40k game though.

I thought there were, but apparently not. Here's the rules from Rogue Trader and Black Crusade.

>2016
>playing outdated warhammershit

Why doesn't the master beastiary on 40krpgtools work for me and just gives me a 404? Unless it's just broken for everyone in which case fuck me

Just took a look and it works for me just fine. As a sidenote, now that FFG no longer sells the 40k RPGs does this mean we can build tools that can present book information or make Consolidated PDFs of all the books without risk of a cease and desist?

It didn't work for me the first time I tried, but now it's working, at least for me.

This is all I get whenever I click on any of the entries

Yeah its a legal thing, you can use it to look up something and see what page they are on.

Deathwatch has some advice for "turning points".
Basically, you present the pcs with a series of interesting individual skirmishes within the battle that influence the over all conflict.
So basically, I have the pcs roll out a command check. This determines the start of the battle. If they're leading from the front, then they're in the thick of it, and I throw some kind of interesting short skirmish at them.
Maybe they have to take out an enemy heavy weapon crew, or they locate an enemy command post, or see a psyker doing weird shit or something.
You fight that out, then make another command check, with bonuses/maluses depending on how they did.
You do two or three of those, and then that's the end of the battle.
Say the first event is attacking an artillery piece. Lets say the pcs fail horribly and have to retreat. Their next command check is at a -10 as the enemy surges forward behind a rolling barrage. The next turning point is then the pcs trying to rally a faltering squad as enemies armed with flamers approach. If they manage to keep it together, they get a bonus on their next check, if they fail, then they're pushed even farther back, etc.
A mass battle should, after all, be a pretty huge affair, probably taking a whole session, so you string together a series of lesser engagements in the context of the greater battle, while determining the flow of combat with the player's command rolls.

As for the ranks of enemies standing in an open bay, yeah, that sounds lame. More like a Bolivian Army ending than a true battle. I'd probably have the pcs running for their lives rather than participating in an open slaughter.

So alright Veeky Forums, favorite SM armor? Post pictures if you want, so I can know ehay exactly you are talking about. I don't know why, but beaky armor is the only armor that makes me the happiest person in the Imperium.

Also, I am a filthy bastard for not providing the pictures I am asking of others. Lemme fix that.

>beakies
Muh nigga.

It will be a tpk unless they aren't stupid.
To wit, they will have to get thru a small army of mortal cultists, sorcerers, summoned daemons jus to get to it, and then it's own bodyguard.
It's not about xp alone, but equipment they bring to bear, and living long enough to use it.
Does DH2e have something like this somewhere? It always turns into a thing trying to get multiple pieces of something, like rations, clothing, small gear like glowglobes multiple people want.

They are just fantastic. I like them not looking like other power armor from other media. Instead they have some knight \ plague doctor look to them that makes me want to see them do awesome shit.

Mark IV is my fave desu, followed by mk 3

I put various units, terrain pieces and objectives on the table.
There is an overall goal for each side, and most units have specific objectives and a couple triggers (when do they retreat, if they hate some other unit,...)
Then everyone does its thing independantly, and I solve combat between NPC units with a simple d10 moderated by their relative strenght and specific stats.
If the NPC unit succeed they might give a bonus to the players (giving fire support from a nearby hill, cutting enemy reinforcements, destroying AAA so the valkyries can come and evac the wounded,...)
And the players can choose to help NPC units.

Quite easy to run and makes for neat roleplay after the battle, when you failed to reach the bridge in time to cover the retreat of another regiments and the survivors want to break your bones.

When I'm feeling fancy I make a quick table of random events to spice things up, like tnaks getting stuck in mud, misaimed arty barrage, a platoon doing a berzerk charge, and so on...

Everyone loves beakies.

>LoC from BC
>Genestealers from DW
Why using enemies from different lines when 2e has them in the splat books?

Are motorcycles the same between the different lines?

Ha ha ha, of course not. You've got 4 different profiles in 3 different lines, and the one in BC is even treated as a mount instead of a vehicle.

And don't get me started on jetpacks.

What makes you think so?

Mark 4 gets my dick hard holy shit i love that helmet.

I'm having a hard time finding how many seconds are in a round. I think I remember it being 5, but I can't find that. Does anyone know offhand what or where it is?

I like to make it 6 seconds so you can make ten rounds a minuet, it helps to keep track of things when you have something like "In ten minuets the ship will blow up."

Nothing past late 4th edition is canon to me, so yes, my 40k is in stasis.

Probably, given proper equipment.

Psyk-out grenades should at least weaken it if not outright prevent the use of psychic powers (depends on GM).
Hexagrammatic wards on armour provide additional defences against psychic attacks.
Null Rod is a good idea especially if someone is going melee. Even then, null rods and forcefields for everybody is a good idea.
If you can prepare the battlefield beforehand you can stick banishing rods all around, but the daemon will most likely escape their area pretty quick.

Power Stakes, Daemonbane weapons and heavy bolters with psybolt ammunition are all capable of dealing absolutely massive.

One of the major problems is passing the fear check. Using unguents of warding can help this by up to +30, tough they're difficult to use.

Mark 8 armor gets me rock hard.

Of course not. Motorcycles vary radically in real life, why would they all be the same in 40k?
>Harley vs a custom chopper vs a Japanese racing bike vs an electric cycle vs a working show piece for a movie

MkII.

Genestealers in DH2 are WAY too overstatted.

>Genestealers in DH2 are WAY too overstatted.
Pretty much all NPC's in DH2 are overstatted or understatted. They're an absolute shitshow of half-assed game design.

MkIV represent.

>They're an absolute shitshow of half-assed game design.
I wonder if FFG knew the license would run out and were half-assing a last squirt onto the page to make some dosh, or if they just lost interest since Star Wars was printing money and half-assed it for that reason, and lost the license as a result. I guess we'll never really know.

Prevailing theory is they broke contract by releasing Rune Wars, becoming a competitor to Age of Sigmar.

Are there any supplements that mention what it's like to play as part of the Severan Dominate in Only War?

shield of humanity has renegade regiment rules

Or they were simply bought by Asmodée, causing a ton of licence shuffling due to imcompatible contracts and rights.

Ok, jackass who plays favorites with power armor here. I can agree that
And Are both also acceptable because of the face grills, but both worse than beakies.

Enemies of the Imperium.

It's a statted regiment in Shield of Humanity.

The Purge Soul psyker power says "The psyker chooses a target within range and line of sight, who opposes the power with a Willpower test. If the psyker wins the Opposed test, the target suffers 1 point of Energy damage per degree of success on the test, plus an amount equal to the target’s Corruption bonus, ignoring armour and Toughness bonus"

Where does it list Corruption bonus for NPCs? Does the GM just make it up?

here, is right it's that book. Shield has rules for playing custom traitor/renegade regiments.

Would it be reasonable to let a Daemon Prince PC buy some of the properly aligned Daemon Engine powers with Favour?

Corruption bonus is probably the tens of your corruption score, just like the willpower bonus is the tens of your Willpower score.

But where do you find NPC corruption scores?

Iunno. Is this a power to be used by PCs as well? I assume this is Black Crusade, although enemies there have listed Infamy but no Corruption.

No, this is Dark Heresy 2, Enemies Beyond

Ah I see. Then I have no idea but, if I was you, I'd just make it up.

Since you only need the tens, it should be easy to ballpark it.

Hell, proper heretics ought to have over 100, by the measure of DH2.

you asked this before. everyone said no.

What does the Sanctified quality do for psyker powers? They already overcome the Daemonic quality

>Hell, proper heretics ought to have over 100, by the measure of DH2.
How do you figure that?

>Heretic gets a rune sword
>Now cuts down foes with ease due to 1d10+10 pen 10 weapon
No.

Cause in non-Black Crusade games 100 Corruption is where a PC goes off and becomes an arch-heretic, ceasing to be a player character. It's not to the same Corruption scale as Black Crusade.

Does that mean that Daemons count as having 200 Corruption Points?

Hey /40krpg/ !
I never played an rpg game, but I wanna try to start from DH, what does it feels like? Where can I find any logs for game?

Anyone got some non-weeb OW character art?

wh40kart.im/

I really like the comrade mechanic in only war and I kind of want to emphasize it a bit more for non sergeant players. With this in mind I'm thinking about homebrewing a conscript regiment that fluff wise emphasizes strength in numbers over all else which will mechanically give the PCs more and tougher comrades while weakening the PC which when summed up will roughly make it about the same strength as a regular guardsman with one comrade.

Basically, I wan't them to experience horrific losses without actually making PC's go through a lot of character sheets.

For starters I'm thinking of the regiment rules to be something along these lines.
>No starting exp
>Characteristic modifiers: -5 WS, -5 BS, -3 Toughness
>Free talents: Double team or Lasgun volley, Veteran comrade
>Wounds: Halve base specialty wounds, add rolled wounds normally.
>Special rules: Starts with the Intervention veteran order which is always active and can be used even if the PC has already issued a command. Gain two additional comrades for a total of three per PC (stacks with born leader and similar comrade advances), Comrades gain an additional wound state. They can now be Healthy, lightly wounded, heavily wounded or dead.
>Equipment: Primary weapons have the Melee attachment upgrade by default, Starts with a mono knife but half as much ammunition for their main Lasgun.

Any input to make this work more smoothly would be greatly appreciated.

How would you play an oathbroken in Black Crusade?

Nobody wants to play a glorified comrade, user.

What is an oathbroken?

I'm wondering thematically, would you start the game with worst quality bionics and poor quality gear or something?

I suppose you can do repairs at the watch station. Having a battle brother looking like a bum on mission isn't something any commander would want.

Why would an oathbroker join the deathwatch?
Nonetheless, your fellow marines are gonna love the mk.5 armor.

I am both running an RT game and playing in a DH1e game

As someone just getting into Only War and looking for the 3rd party stuff just to have it, what is the latest version of [Chivalry Intensifies]? Are there any other books besides that and Mars Needs Women?

Well that's Deathwatch, which would be dope if I can ever get into a Deathwatch game. Though I'm curious about a starting level Black Crusade, perhaps just playing it as a forsaken would be the way to go.

For Black Crusade, not Deathwatch, user.

Welp, time to go to bed, apparently.

Tech-Guard fo' lyfe. Games Workshop's abortion of "skitarii" brings shame to the name.

I found the answer to this question in BC and I can't recall what it is. Now that's not exactly a helpful response but the answer is out there.

Vaguely I think its something like equal to their WP bonus, but I don't remember exactly.

It's a start, at least. Thanks.

Alright lads, how would you all stat the new Genestealer Cult gribblies for the 40k RPGs?

Take genestealer, add a PR35 shield that doesn't overload

Take standard generic baddies. Stat them up by like 10 in all categories. Give them like a sick melee claw weapon.

That's it.

>Stat them up by 10 in all categories

Now hold the fuck up, who said Hybrid Guardsmen were better than Aspect Warriors? I'd consider, maybe, a +5 to Ag, WP and Per at most.

In Black Crusade, if a PC gets possessed and exorcised, are they still able to get Rewards?

>nothing past the worst edition lorewise when the grimdark retardation was in full control of the setting
I actually excise most of 3/4e lore from my games, and pick back up from 5e. 3/4e gave us the outrageous, nonsensical grimdark shit that makes people think how stupid 40k is, because it clearly exists for it's own sake first, serves the setting second.
It's 90s EXXXTREME first and foremost, and I despise it accordingly.

I really get the impression that no one has really bothered with Black Crusade. Wonder why, out of all of them the creative and storytelling opportunities are the best.

Because black crusade is full of teamkilling fucktards and getting rewarded for it.

Pretty much It is possible to get a group that works together and all, but incredibly difficult to do so, especially if they're in-character unless if they're all aligned to the game god or something.

I meant 'same god' though would Tzeentch count as that?

>tfw you go out of your way to work with the party in spite of your alignment
>Still get stabbed in the back by the Slaaneshi
>Everyone says the game sucks

>3/4e gave us the outrageous, nonsensical grimdark shit

Which is why it's the best. It has cast off the garbage of 1e and 2e, and comes before the giant monster power creep of 5e onward. The Grimdark was at its maximum, and the setting's antibodies against any sort of positive change were at their strongest. It creates the truest feeling of real 40k.

>It has cast off the garbage of 1e and 2e
This is the part of your post where I literally stopped reading.

>orks with Lasguns!
>Half-Eldar Astropaths!
>Squats XD!

These things died for a reason, user. Let go. Accept 40k for what it's supposed to be, not what it was, and is now.

I dunno we had some real good BC stuff, post major battles were always very tense though. But of course that was the fun.

Do other BC parties not put a loyalty part into their compacts? Because that's what my group would always do? Usually it resulted in corruption for whoever violated it.

Now when that compact was completed, that's when the in depth negotiation, explanations of how your were to valuable to kill ran, and begging was the key to avoiding a TPK. Often we'd lose a character or two in this stage, but it was fine.

This did lead to a proliferation of "revenge characters." Ever see a psyrating 8 Thousand Sun Sorcerer with two Rubric Marine cohorts? It fucking sucks and the rest of the party was really united in killing him off.

The more I hear about Black Crusade the more it sounds like Always Sunny with demons

After having skimmed through all the BC books in the mega file, I can't find anything like this. The closest I can get is the rule that NPCs die if they take 10 corruption points at once

Only War newbie here.

Are there rules covering trying to get multiples of an item?
Basically, I want to see if we can get our entire squad outfitted with microbeads (weren't included with our standard gear). But outside of hoping they're included with future mission assignment gear, there doesn't seem to be a way to obtain multiples of an item - which kinda sucks. We have a squad of 12 (6 players, 6 comrades).