Dungeon Dining

I'm sure that the manga Dungeon Meshi is pretty popular around here... and I think I'm not alone in wanting to base a character concept off the idea of using monster remains as food items.

That said, while the manga's depiction of things like "roasted basilisk with mana herbs" and "giant scorpion and walking mushroom hot-pot" look absolutely delicious, I'm thinking it might be a bit lazy to steal recipes directly from the manga...

So, does anyone have any clever/creative ideas on what to do with all this perfectly good meat and such left over after fights? (No humanoid-consumption recipes, please!)

Pic related: Senshi, the best damn chef in the world.

No ideas? Are you not gourme/tg/entlemen?

It's has been done, over and over. Not to say you shouldn't do it, but you're not exactly treading new ground here.

Do you know how to cook? You really need to understand how to put a meal together in the real world before doing something like this. Sure, I could create a meal using cockatrice meat for you if you wanted, but if you want to last a whole campaign you need to understand what to do with chicken. If you want a shortcut, I HIGHLY recommend a book called The Flavor Bible. It's a giant list of what ingredients go well with what. Just pick whatever real world ingredient you think would be closest the fantasy one you've got and work from there. I almost always reach for it when I want to invent an exotic meal for my players.

You could roll on a set of tables for cooking style, garnish, and side dish as an option.

Keep in mind this sort of solution is again only for a more lightweight game - if you want something "realistic", there's a lot of factors to consider that will work better if you actually understand cooking.

Just pick a dish that's roughly analagous and substitute the ingredients. A myconid probably works for mushroom dishes; a cockatrice in chicken dishes.

Now if you really want to get serious and period appropriate this is something else entirely, considering that many modern cuisines are post-Colombian exchange (ex. peppers in Indian curries, for example).

Whether your campaign has potatoes is up to you, but if you're looking at medieval recipe books it's important to note most of them are far different from the sorts of ingredients in use today.

>Now if you really want to get serious and period appropriate this is something else entirely, considering that many modern cuisines are post-Colombian exchange (ex. peppers in Indian curries, for example).
I've always thought this whole thing was kind of dubious, given that they didn't have access to these ingredients due to geographic isolation, which generally isn't a problem in fantasy settings. Especially given how many have Aztec and Incan inspired civilizations.

That said, totally saving this, looks useful as fuck

Yeah, it's not a problem if you want your fantasy setting to have potatoes and peppers, it's more a warning that you can go really far down the rabbit hole chasing an ideal of "realistic" cuisine.

There's tons of cultural development, history, and biogeography behind the development of various dishes and that's often a far larger level of detail than you need.

I apologize if it's been done before - I don't follow the site as close as I used to, so I'm sorry I missed on past discussions.

>Myconid soup
>Eating a sentient creature

Smite everything.

We uh. Do that a lot.

>So, does anyone have any clever/creative ideas on what to do with all this perfectly good meat and such left over after fights?
Start with real-world dishes. That basilisk is a good example: it's a giant fucking chicken with a snake tail or a giant fucking snake with a chicken tail. Chicken and snake are both meats consumed by humans, though snakes not so much in most western cultures. Go with what you know about chicken dishes and start from there. Who knows, the realm's greatest colonel might retire and decide to start a small restaurant that serves fried basilisk...

Same with other dishes. Dragon meat might taste like lizard or crocodile (never ate either of those, but my mom ate croc once when she was young. She told me the meat was surprisingly tender), goblins might have a stash of oversized underground mushrooms, owlbear might taste like a strange combination between poultry and beef etc.

>Pic related: Senshi, the best damn chef in the world.
Souma would like to have a word with you. Senshi is the cutest and fluffiest chef though

THAT IS NOT WHAT ENOKI MUSHROOMS LOOK LIKE

True... but have you noticed the size of the Macaroni or the Herring. Shit is hueg. I'm wondering if each of those bowls are the size of a reeses' cup.

The way my DMs mostly get around this sort of thing is by having us fight things with super toxic blood... He'll just straight up say the meat is repulsive for most things we fight.

I want to introduce some of these more creative ideas though and see what he says. We'll see.

I believe user is confusing sentient and sapient again.

Your DM seems a bit of a funless dick.

>The way my DMs mostly get around this sort of thing is by having us fight things with super toxic blood
Challenge accepted.
>Drain the meat of all blood
>Add antidote as garnish
>Have the cleric cast purification spells just to be on the safe side

>drain meat of blood before cooking

Dungeon Kosher.

Bump for the second course.

GURPS, especially with the detail in alchemical regents, is perfect for this.

Doesn't even need a lot of detail.

This sort of thing is less about numbers and more about, uh, flavor.

Veeky Forums triggering
>jullienned sauteed worms
>julliene is to cut in to thin strips
>fucking steaks
>sauteeing in a fucking dutch oven

Those are the kind of foolish mistakes you make when you lack Senshi for a cooking teacher.

>Dwarves are known as the greediest of races
>Senshi owns golems
What made you think Dwarves aren't Jewish?

He doesn't own them/make them, he just found them and uses them as mobile veggie gardens.

For a perfect griffon shank saus-vide, you need a bag of holding emptied in Wildspace and a muffled Wand of Fire. Use your voided bag of holding with a valve to vacuum seal the shank, then put it into a large pot. Direct the Wand of Fire at the pot, with the cooking muffler set to 60 degrees C. Let it run for 24 hours. Fireball it at the end for a nice crust. Perfect seasoning to add to the shank would be salt, Dwarven peppers, and a generous handful of healing herbs.

Most greatly underestimate the versatility of Dwarven peppers. While they are known for their depth and sweet heat when fresh, when dried and finely ground, the heat increases pleasantly and the sweetness turns richer and more mellow, an excellent accent to poultry.

Supposedly that's the translator's fault

Faerie fire cooks things... differently. It's known to color meat in strange colors, and lend odd fungal flavors to vegetables. Alchemists sometimes use it to distill unusual spirits and oils.

Magical microbes can be very useful for fermenting foods. Novice Chef-Magi typically summon them as needed, but the true masters often cultivate many strains of yeast and bacteria.
Bread made from Elven yeast is sweet, very filling, and long-lasting. Dwarven yeast produces a hard, tough bread that can sharpen weapons, be used as a bludgeoning instrument, and even eaten in dire times.
Lactobacteria are considered more powerful and difficult to use than yeast. Cheese making in particular is said to be the deepest and darkest of all culinary magic.

Dwarven liquor is the only drink that manages to be greater than 200 proof. Most other races find the drink's taste foul, but it has powerful preservative effects. Just a few drops into a drink is enough to purify all but the most potent poisons (although some would say that the liquor is a poison itself). Fruits, plants, and meats preserved in dwarven liquor can last for thousands of years. The alcohol can be neutralized by briefly immersing the food in a pot of water boiled by faerie fire, although if a dwarf catches you "wasting" the liquor like this, you're likely to end up with some nasty hammer scars.

Dwarven liquors can also be used to create extracts from magical plants and beings. Spectral vanilla extract literally adds flavor to the shadow of a dish. Ethereal orange extract (ironically blue-colored) adds an orange after-aftertaste: a flavor you never taste while eating the food, but later appears in your memories of the dish.

The Elves press and refine oils from almost every plant and animal. Some say that the right Elven oil makes fried foods that are lighter than air. Others say that Elven lard makes pastries so flaky and thin that you can shave with their edges.

It is an interesting thing to note that, despite the fact that some races, particularly the various subraces of Elves, can have historical records that literally go back thousands of years, there are three culinary creations of such great ancestry that they predate even these records, leaving their place of origin and the name of their creator a mystery...

Nobody knows for sure who baked the first yeasted bread, who brewed the first batch of beer, or who first fermented milk into cheese, but all three of them have some manner of representation in all the major races' cooking traditions, whether if be the stout heartiness of Dwarven beers, the delicate decadence of Elf-made pastry, or the robust flavor and smooth texture of artisanal Gnomish cheeses.

i doubt that, as french cooking techniques are as widespread as rice.

on a related note, i just had some leftover coq au biere, made with the bruery's white oak, a 50/50 of barrel aged wheatwine and ale.