/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Veeky Forums character sheets
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous Thread Beholder Variants Edition

What do you like the most about the leaked races? What do you like the least?

First for Kenku

Why are Goliath in Volo's guide if they are in the EE players companion?
If there is a reason, is there a reason why they didn't add the other races from it, like Genasi?

>What do you like the most about the leaked races?
:3

>What do you like the most about the leaked races? What do you like the least?
I like being able to play a kobold. They've been a favorite forever.
I dislike the return of stat penalties. All they do is make certain race-class combinations nonviable without adding anything to the game.

Because Genasi are already in a hardcover, Princes of the Apocalypse. Aaracokra aren't featured because fuck flying races.

>>What do you like the most about the leaked races?
Teenage Mutant Ninja Bugbears.

How is the new ranger? I was thinking about playing the hunter archetype.

Underdark scout seems like it had great burst potential when multiclassed with assassin. My only concern is that surprise rounds are up to the DM to incorporate. My DM kinda throws encounters at us.

guys, I'm playing Curse of Stradh with a gigantic unsufferable Roll player. A real Munckin moon druid.

It's come to the point where it has started to seriously hurt my gameplay and experience, but because he kinda holds the DM by short hairs, I want to know if there's anyway I can really fuck him over in Barovia without him knowing.

I'm a predominantly social player, is there any magic item I can beat him too, a political relationship I can fuck him out of, or just, anything that tells him to fuck off with that shit?

>a difference as minor as the placement of a single scale is enough for two types of beholders to consider each other abominations and to declare eternal war upon each other

I love beholders.

Anyone have Yuan-Ti or lizardpeople stats yet?

It's fuckin radical, play it immediately

what are their stats?

Fallen Aasimar. It'll fit my oathbreaker paladin perfectly.

we talking UA ranger?

>Kenku; +2 Dex +1 Wis (may have an ability similar to ravens mimicry)
>Lizardfolk: Con +2 Wis +1 (can bite and gain temp HP, breath underwater, and swim speed?)
>Orc: Str +2 Con +1 Int -2 (Same as half-orc, and also has Aggressive from MM?)
>Tabaxi: Dex +2 Cha +1 (can move fast, and run as bonus action?)
>Triton: Str +1 Con +1 Cha +1 (rest in the image)
>Yuan-ti Pureblood: Cha +2 Int +1
>Aasimar Sub-race's stat change the +1 Wis. (can also transform for a short time, and some changes to the racial spells?)
>Protector: Wis +1
>Scourge: Con +1
>Fallen: Str +1

Yeah, Revised Ranger from UA

Goliath are too, so why are they here?

Tell him to stand and fight at the Winery while you explore inside for ambushes, send him out into the open first in the Amber temple, tell him the path to Strahd's tomb is clear.

Bugbears! I had high hopes for both them and hobgoblins, and I'm overjoyed that they're both it, but I'm slightly annoyed hobs can't get a primary attack ASI and only have the one (admittedly very interesting) feature.
But bugbears, oho, my body is ready, see Bugbears have always been slasher film style- huge hulking monster that's stronger than you but somehow comes out of the shadows with impossible speed.

Goliath and Aaracokra have absolutely not been printed in a hardcover. They have, however, been printed in the Elemental Evil Player's Companion. Princes of the Apocalypse Appendix A has Genasi.

What else do Yuan Ti get.

>playing a warlock for the first time
>familiar is more useful than the actual character

Tabaxi look pretty cool.

How far should I go in fighter if I'm making a Fighter/Wizard. Level 2 for action surge? 3 for archtype? 6?

I need a little more subterfuge, but the affairs with Stradh might be a nice idea.
Sending him out in the open is tough because he's a moonion.

Convince the villagers that he's a were[x]?

What do you want your character to do?

Monster races

>What do you like the least?
My current DM won't allow monster races

Yeah, and I think it's fantastic that their stats make that actually work. Ain't being pejorative with the ninja bugbears thing, quite the opposite in fact.

Are fallen Aasimar flavored like 3.5 Hellbred?

Somewhat gish. More spellcasting though

Subterfuge is hard, and Strahd would fuck him up bad with low AC.

Go three and grab Battle Master, rest wizard, grab Green-Flame Blade and throw maneuvers on it every now and then.

>Need someone too sneak
>Rogue thinks it's their time to shine
>My imp can turn invisible and fly

You must be a really bad player.

Really? That's good to hear. What's it play like?

We're doing just the PHB.

Anyone have suggestions for puzzles and non combat things I can have my pcs do in a dungeon? I'm hitting a writer's block

It plays like a sick awesome nature bro that's able to reliably do rad damage to favored enemies and pretty good damage to everything else.

good. I hope he kills that motherfucker

Well, that's your GM's perogative then.

In practice, how well does the limit of three attuned magic items work out? Is three a good limit to prevent the christmas tree effect the 3.PF had?

When designing a custom magic item, how do you determine whether or not it requires attunement?

>Help me fuck with this druid in a CoS game.
No. Not then. Not now. Not again.

riddles are nice.

My favorite is one where they have to toast with an enchanted bottle to get past a wailing wall of force.

The toast however has to be made in order by the people who most represent the specific values of the order of knights to whom this demon whom they came to slay was a sworn enemy

I like the potential return of the Tabaxi's masked grappling war-priests

I think it generally works out. Very high level characters end up customizing their daily loadouts with magic items.

As for how to decide if it requirs attunement, it's hard to say. Generally speaking, things that are direct power buffs (weapons, staves, things that boost characters directly) require attunement. The non-attunement things are usually utility items but not always.

Borrow them from other adventures
Part 7 of Rise of Tiamat has quite a few

Goblins seem neat, and I look forward to Kobolds and Hobgoblins being available options.

I'll need to see more of them to see how I feel.

>le ebin invisibility works like 3.5 maymay
What is he sneaking past that doesn't hear the rapid batting of wings?

>player chooses to be a goblin
>ok.png
>encounters a nilbog

I would just go 2 in fighter then. You can always take the third level at a later point, but I suspect you won't want to get farther behind in spellcasting.

Take ideas from any other game you know that they don't. Like, make them solve the temple of light from runescape. You have a single beam of light coming down to a pillar, and enough crystals scattered around the place to split it into multiple beams that you can further redirect and color until it reaches the main focus which opens an impenetrable wall of light when the right beams meet up.

I just meant it can get to places the rogue might not be able to

imo 2 levels in fighter is the sweet spot, 3 if you want Battlemaster / EK features.
2 levels nets you armor/weapon proficiency, fighting style, second wind, and action surge.
3 levels nets you battlemaster maneuvers, which are pretty damn good. I recommend Parry, Pushing Attack, Precision Attack.

Take Divination wizard if you want to piss your DM off, Conjuration if you want to be more reasonable about it, or Evocation if you just wanna blow stuff up. I'd recommend Bladesinger, but if you're allowed to go Bladesinger you might as well eschew fighter levels altogether because it nullifies the primary benefit.

>EK
ignore that part. I suffered from temporary retardation when I put that in my post.

What about abjuration?

Eh, currently enjoying an EK/Bladesinger build (going 18/2) since I wanted a fighter with tricks, but can see why some don't like EK overall

Yuan-Ti are probably the strongest race now.

-+2 Cha

-+1 Int

-Darkvision 60

-Move 30

-Poison Immunity

-Poison Spray Cantrip

-Suggestion (1x long rest)

-Unlimited Animal Friendship with snakes

And, wait for it....

Magic resistance on saving throws. Holy shit they're strong.

Rate my tabaxi character, /5eg/

>Just have it use the help action every turn.
>still more useful than Beastmaster's Wolf.

what were you expecting? they're magic snake people, the chosen of their dark god

of course they're better that regular humans and halflings and shit, why wouldn't they be?

Well sure I figured they'd be strong (or rather hoped for it). Intrinsic spell resistance is way more than I was expecting though.

they make it easy to identify the faggots that use them

>What do you like the least?

their existence being the nail in the coffin for my respect for wizards

What do you consider to be a good race?

That's crazy. Can't wait to play a Warlock or Sorcerer.

Will there be any new classes / archetypes / backgrounds / spells in this book?

Yea I was going to roll a tiefling warlock (yea yea overdone whatever) but might change to Yuan Ti. Mini works fine either way. No new class stuff as far as I know it's just new player races.

Honestly, spell resistance and +2 to a stat would make them the strongest race so far by itself.

humans

only

>Will there be any new classes / archetypes / backgrounds / spells in this book?
doubt it though rumors say eailish next year we are get another book for player that add a whole bunch of new content I'm guessing the finished redone Ranger and Mystic in print as examples.

Playable monster races have been around literally forever, even before WotC.

>playing human in a fantasy game

I'm sorry your parents fucked up so bad.

Cleric/Druid Multiclass: Can it work?

>doubt it though rumors say earlish next year we are get another book for players that add a whole bunch of new content I'm guessing the finished redone Ranger and Mystic in print as examples.

Speaking of the mystic, aren't we getting take 3 on monday?

Most of my characters are humans just because of the free feat.

>playing nonhumans

sorry you're too retarded to play actual characters instead of caricatures

Catholic luchedore cat people?

Should be, yep.

This is exactly why I ban variant human in my games, and voluntarily ban it for myself when I play in other games.

>Implying people don't play humans as caricatures

Senpai, the reason that humans get a free feat is because wotc is trying to make it so humans are worth playing

Humans were one of the best races in 3.5, and are still one of the best races in PF, because of the bonus feat. The first time I DMed, 5 of my 6 players were variant humans. They're not a good choice, they're a good choice for literally everything, which is bad IMO.

You're free to do as you like, but if I ever play in one of your games I'm still considering them banned for myself.

Well in that case I would literally never play humans ever. The base version is unacceptably bad.

>implying racial choice determines the quality of someone's roleplay ability

That kind of DM is going to railroad stuff based on your race constantly. It's a way for the DM to dictate how you should act and to make NPCs hate you for no reason.

Speaking of riddles, I'm trying to come up with one involving a Galeb Duhr. In this place suffused with wild magic, a boulder eventually developed sentience and now believes he exists to protect this room and prevent people from passing through. Since I don't want this to be a combat encounter, what kind of puzzle or riddle could I have for my players to get past it?

How is taking out v. human indicative of race-based railroading whatsoever?

I'm considering changing the base human ability scores to +2 to any 2 stats, and potentially a bonus skill proficiency. I agree that baseline human is bad - it's just that the variant is too good.

why not vistani human as a variant, or something like revenant. they chould have made them interesting and good. choosing where your asi goes is already nice

>Hey dumdum, bring me gumgum

then the players would need to bring him gum

I've never seen the vistani human and don't know what that is.
Revenant is dumb.

+2 Dex, +1 Cha fwih

So one of my players has a character who absolutely refuses to use magical items of any kind.

How do I work around that and provide good non-magical stuff so they aren't completely gimping themselves power-wise in comparison to the rest of the party, who are laden with magical items of ridiculous power?

Make it out of special materials, like adamantite or mithral weapons and armor. While they list it under the magic item sections, technically they're just special materials that aren't really enchanted or anything.

Items made from special materials that grant non-flashy bonuses and count as magic behind the scenes.

A mithral sword that has the finesse property no matter it's size (and bypasses magical resistance by virtue of being mithral), adamantine armor that grants resistance to nonmagical weapon damage, stuff like that. If you/your player consider potions nonmagical (alchemy is basically magic in-game anyhow), that also opens up more options.

You don't want anyone playing humans if you eliminate variant. The only reason to want people to play non-humans boils down to "humans are boring and not special enough," which means you care way too much about PC races.

yes apparently take 3 will have all the options and will be the last one before the final version.

What do I like? That they actually did try to give us playable monsters in it. I'm particularly interested in seeing the Kobold, the return of the long-lost Tabaxi, and even the Triton and Yuan-ti Pureblood, even if I'll probably reskin the latter in my own settings.

Like the least? Easy; the return of racial ability score penalties. They fucking sucked in 3e and 4e should be sainted for shanking that idea and painting a mosaic with its blood. The kobold's precise ability score layout, where it gets a Strength penalty AND sunlight sensitivity AND a power that relies on being a sniveling, groveling coward, fluff-wise, is a very close second.

Seriously, I love kobolds, I got big plans for them in my homebrew world, but this crunch is completely useless for them. I'll stick to tweaking my own homebrew for crunch... just wish I could decide between variant traits ala Tiefling or subraces, though.