EDH/Commander General

Commanders You've Thought About Building, But Haven't Edition

Old thread:

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-wish-i-could-dream-again/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/atraxas-synthesis/
scryfall.com/search?q=o:"charge counter"
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/titania-ravager-of-lands/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/borborygmos-literal-landfall/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How would you build a Hanna Cars and Ships deck?

I keep almost building Maelstrom Wanderer and stopping.

I built maelstrom wanderer back when his planechase deck first came out. I realized how crazy degenerate he was and quickly tore it apart.

Still fishing for opinions on doing Voltron Atraxa rather than Superfriends/Infect

why do you stop

>tfw youve flashed in craterhoof behemoth so many times your playgroup starts paying 20 life extra when they toxic deluge just in case

go for fungus tribal instead, proliferate your spore counters

What opinions are you looking for, exactly? Equipment that compliment her? How about the rings from M13?

Superfriends works well with atraxa, infect and voltron don't, the good news is that if you don't like superfriends then you can still do a general counters creature deck, get all the goodies from simic like fathom mage, etc and all the counters stuff of golgari and Abzan as well

>voltron doesn't work well with Atraxa

Why isn't Atraxa good with Infect? You get to add poison counters for free

I couldn't decide which of the new decks to get so I'm just going to get all of them and make a Karona deck.

What Voltron can you make with a slow creature that doesn't protect itself?
It'd be infect or bust to make use of her proliferate, and Skittles really is that much better than her at it.

Because Veeky Forums is bad at Magic

Post list, maybe you're right

I just can't see a non hexproof commander working well for voltron, but I guess if you built I controlly enough then atraxa's good combat abilities can shine

I just don't see how proliferating poison counters is a good strategy, it seems super slow, infect should be getting 1-hit kills

It can work, but it's very slow unlike most infect strategies.

One of the most significant parts of infect is its ability to get one-shot kills.

Just coming back to magic after a 20 year break fellas. Help a brotha out.

So edhec

Is this site french 20 life decks, 40 life decks? Also, is there a way to find the best decks? The only related decks I see are recently created, leading me to tappedout? Even I know tappedout has fucking garbage decks

>implying Rafiq has hexproof

Should decks that go wide still pack mass removal?

If so, how much?

True, but in my experience, rafiq decks in most metas don't actually connect for lethal combat damage that often, instead the threat of rafiq just makes room for bant goodstuff to win

Anyway you do have a point though, something with huge damage potential like rafiq can be worth it because the reward is so high it's worth the risk

I don't think atraxa is in the same position

Probably worth at least 1, maybe 2-3. Gonna be a dead draw a lot of the time, but when you need a wrath, you need a wrath, and nothing else will do

>comparing Rafiq to Atraxa
really

I guess access to four colors might add something, but unlike Rafiq, Atraxa isn't packing any abilities that help push commander damage, except having one of the weaker forms of evasion

Of course Rafiq can be built towards goodstuff, but he's also one of the go-to voltron commanders, and people are happy to protect him, either with auras/equips or counterspells.

I'm not saying she'd necessarily be better than Rafiq, but vigilance + lifelink does comparable work to double strike.

Rafiq has the double strike and needs the evasion; Atraxa has the evasion and needs the double strike.

Again, I'm not saying she'd necessarily be as good as Rafiq, but she certainly isn't bad either.

Okay let's rephrase, atraxa isn't BAD with voltron, nor with infect, i just don't think she's particularly suited to facilitate either strat, whereas I do think she is the only commander off the top of my head that directly interacts with planeswalkers, and she definitely facilitates a +1/+1 counters deck well

Umezawa's Jitte, +1 counter rings, Rings, she already has 4 evergreen keywords to name a few. Then moving on to the enchantress side of things, phyresis for infect, all the good stuff I successfully run in Sigarda, plus black and blue for improved card draw and removal.

New player, what's the difference between going tall vs going wide

An example of a deck going wide would be like a token deck, with lots of little threats. A deck going tall would be like a voltron deck that relies more on one big threat.

I'm thinking of converting my zirilan edh to pic related. I plan to keep it dragon tribal, been looking on edhrec but haven't seen much good stuff, any suggestions for tech? Gameplan is gonna be ramp like mad turns 1-4 then start windmill slamming dragons each turn.

I love zirilan but my meta is full of spot removal so he just gets locked down. I think adding green will net me some better survivability, plus people were getting tired of my toolbox (they should fight a sisay deck before they bitch desu)

Thing with Rafiq tho, is that usually in voltron builds, you lose when he swings the first time.

I wish she had haste.

If you wanna do Dragon Tribal in G/R you should do Xenegod. Best enabler for hasty dragons.

Or you could do Mina and Denn, Wildborn to add an extra land drop per turn.

Radha is alright, but I feel link she'd be better suited as a elfball commander.

desu she'll play as a shitty llanowar elves, but guaranteed t2 ramp is pretty sweet.

I really want black for kholaghan and jund sweetness but i cant find a commander that fits (karrthus costs way too much money and is a shitty commander)

Sunbond is pretty cool with her. Blade of the
Bloodchief and Predatory Hunger are relatively cost effective ways to accumulate +1/+1 counters.

Double strike is obviously important for commander damage so run those.

Depending on how common exiling is, regenerate is good protection on top of indestructible. I like Blessing of Leeches and Soul Channeling.

One sub-archetype you could to is run all the enchantresses and Sigil of the Empty Throne, in which case run repeatable enchantments like Flickering Ward, Cage of Hands, Rancor, etc.

I figure a cheap commander will help dragon tribal since my curve will be huge, but yeah it still feels awkward.

I wish i had a good outlet tor her RR, firebreathing i guess.

As someone who played Radha for a long time, make sure your landbase assures you're able to cast her turn 2 every time.

I run a saffi edh so I have a rough idea

Today I tried running pic related instead of Kruphix as my Simic commander, and I was quite impressed. I'm considering drafting a decklist built more around them. What are some must-haves?

Off the top of my head:
>Staff of Domination
>Training Grounds
>Umbral Mantle

Making a Crosis deck, should i go all-in on discard and rack effects, or should it be a subtheme and jam in lots of goodstuff?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-wish-i-could-dream-again/
hat does /edhg/ think of this Intet deck I put together last night? Edhrec had nothing but big dragons on their recommended but I much prefer flipping into a huge sorcery than an Artaka.

I liked to use her RR to activate Kher Keep. I'm sure there are much better uses though.

He's not really that bad. Sure, he costs a lot but his effect is pretty good. Hasty Dragons are good too. Plus that gives you access to Bladewing the Risen and add a bunch of other possible reanimation.

>Commanders You've Thought About Building, But Haven't Edition
Oh man, I've got enough of these I'm kind of itching to see if I can't work one out.

Help me decide, should I build Alesha, Titania, Gaddock Teeg, or Mimeoplasm?

Mimeoplasm infect

Also, how the fuck do you pronounce mimeoplasm?

Mime-o-plasm? Or mimeo-plasm?

mim-ee-oh-plasm sounds better, IMO

I'm thinking of building a Yidris mostly creatureless spellslinger deck. Is there a primer somewhere for him or Maelstrom Wanderer, specifically around how much of each converted mana cost to put in?

play omniscience

I don't think you run enough impactful creatures to warrant See the Unwritten. Why not try Season's Past and Mystical Tutor to combo with Time Warp?

Some other big bomb spells you may like:
>Volcanic Vision
>Blatant Thievery
>Insurrection
>Clone Legion

I don't think Wanderer ever needed to be scaled out via CMC.

Generally, Wanderer decks just run cards that function as wildfire effects, ramp (mostly rocks), card draw, and library manipulation. If you don't cascade into something impactful, you're likely going to cascade into draw/ramp to help recast Wanderer next turn.

dont forget expropriate

>Gemstone Array
>Pemmin's Aura
>Freed from the Real
>Sword of the Paruns

>implying voltron isn't also super friends

That's how I played Marchesa, and Atraxa is better in every single way.

I played Karona with a bunch of extra combat steps to pump her to lethal by naming Avatar. I should rebuild her now that I have a suit of swords because I still control the triggers.

I've only seen one crosis deck and it was just a grixis goodstuff pile that had the bonus ability of being able to use its commander to fuck up someone's hand occasionally

What decks can run this viably

Off the top of my head, Dralnu and Circu

Run telepathy so everyone gets super mad

I think it's for some kind of white pillow fort stax lock deck, keeps you from dying to creatures they play before you lock them down, and you can win by infinite damage of some kind?

Monitoring this question.

Mim ee oh

you really, really don't wanna build too much around a 6cmc creature. sub theme should be enough.

I'm considering running it in my circu/nebuchadnezzar build. It's a mix of lantern control, telepathy effects, and targeted/mass discard. Do you think it's worth it?

I don't attack with creatures, I plan on winning with wheel of torture, the rack, lilis caress, megrim while making sure nobody draws anything threatening, or an answer. I just don't know if it's worth trying to slot in. Thoughts?

titania loam baby all day
pick off the weak with elementals then strip mine the lasts players entire manabase away

grixis dragons with yung silumgar

Ok so Ive been telling myself Id get into EDH for a while, and to force myself to I did something dumb and bought some Masterpiece staples. So now Im trying to sketch out the structure of a decent Leovald deck. My local store is super competitive about EDH (Elfball and Geth types), so Im not worried about power.

I notice that a lot of EDH decks tend to have a certain density of splashy overcosted nonsense, and have varying amounts of just pure goodstuff. Am I better off trying to build Leovald low to the ground with a high density of just pure efficiency and group disruption, or do I really need a critical mass of splash to swing against timmy haymakers and massive combos?

hey guys, i need a quick judges opinion on tethered griffin, can i play him and an aura simultaneously? Say i have 2 plains. i throw down something like Ephara's Radiance and the griffin... what happens?

post your Atraxa lists friendos

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/atraxas-synthesis/

Honestly, leovolds greatest strength lies in hosing all opponents hands at once with windfall effects. Keep your curve low, forget big splashy shit. Win by oppressing the table and slowly pinging them to death, utilize mind-breaking them and forcing the concede. That's not your win -con, but it would be dumb to overlook it.

Don't bother with big stompy creatures. Just pack pillowfort and mass bounce spells like cyclonic rift, this pairs nicely with wheel effects like windfall or dark deal.

Oh,and welcome to the edh family, im glad to be the first to welcome you.

Since neither have flash, no.
Cast the griffin with no enchantments on the field, it dies.
Can't cast the enchantment without a viable target.

showing up out of nowhere with a leovold is quite the statement, that guy has a reputation. have you borrowed a deck of theirs to play with them a bit and see what their playstyles feel like? it's honestly the best way to get a feel on how to build a deck that fits the meta.

not sure what you want to ask. if you are casting Radiance on something else and it resolves then you are good to cast the griffin but if the aura gets removed at any time before the griffin resolves then you would have to sacrifice it right when it enters the battlefield.

if you mean that you want to cast the griffin and then attach the aura to it then you can't do that because the griffin's effect will trigger as soon as its on the field and will check for enchantments on the field. if you dont control any you'd have to sac it right away before being able to equip aura

>turn 2 sorin markov'd is fair
>turn 2 tree of peredition is unjustifiable bullshit

Does anyone want to trade groups? I can't handle the stupid anymore

Crosis's synergy with discard effects is questionable. True you can see what they have in their hand so you know which colors to name, but you can already guess that based on what lands they're playing. So you often end up hitting something that you would have hit with Crosis two turns later anyways.
If you want to build around him, which you shouldn't, use mass bounce. I went for artifact ramp, non-stax mana denial (ala Dwarven Miner and Viashivan Heretic), and cost-efficient threats. My group is very underpowered, but it remains my deck with the highest winrate.

That seems like a really interesting deck concept. Wand of denial seems right up your alley.
It's so different from what I normally play, though, that I feel there isn't much I can judge about the deck without actually playing it.

You would need to flash in an enchantment beforehand using something like Sigarda's Aid which will allow you to the keep the griffen provided you casted it first anyway Although even if you were to flash in an aura enchantment I believe the griffen's ability would check the board for enchantments you control first and lead to it dying if you don't control any, or you could just play Sigarda and not have to sacrifice it anyways

I really love this!
And yeah, the deck mixes everything I love about magic into one package, I'm excited as hell for some of the foils im going to order too. (I'm even going to pick up a field of dreams!)

You would just flash the Aura in response to the check trigger.
>Griffin is on the battlefield
>Trigger check
>Flash Aura
>Aura attached to griffin
>Trigger check
>Check OK

perfect, got it! thanks!

What is their rationale for that?

>Commanders You've Thought About Building, But Haven't Edition
New Emrakul theme deck.
Use pillowfort stuff and general misdirection tactics to survive.
Play city of brass and friends with muse vessel/ornate kanzushi to turn people's decks against them.
Play Ugin's Nexus and Noetic Scales to take control over another player.
Play Jester's Mask and Copper Angel/Assault Suit to make people take some really bad turns.

It's just too expensive for a deck that won't even win, though.

Depends on how you go wide.
If it's weenies you're putting yourself at disadvantage, if it's tokens it's ok.

Are you the same guy from the last time I saw that same situation here?

>same situation

What do you mean? I run both sorin and tree in the same deck. Markov'd a guy playing karametra and everyone was fine, next game use the same deck and get tree out but unable to tap it since no greaves and the group flipped their shit. I can't run either cards now or my group gets salty and immediately concedes against the deck, forcing me to play a different one

I say "Mim-ee-oh-plasm"
Pretty much what said. Lots of creatures is going wide. A small amount of powerful creatures is going tall.
I've thought about building the following:
>Adriana, Captain of the Guard (RW aggro)
>Athreos, God of Passage (standard Shadowborn Apostle bullshit)
>Borborygmos Enraged (I want to throw lands)
>Ezuri, Claw of Progress (Infect)
>Gahiji, Honored One (Werewolf Tribal)
>Kambal, Consul of Allocation (Life gain and drain, taxes)
>Numot, the Devastator (America themed deck)
>Oloro, Ageless Ascetic (life gain and drain, taxes)
>Phelddagrif (typical group hug bullshit)
>Queen Marchesa (Control and token swarm)
>Rafiq of the Many (Voltron)
>Zedruu the Greathearted (standard Zedruu build)

Most of the decks I wanted the build ended up being too one-dimensional. They'd be good for a game or two, but not for repeated play.

>(I want to throw lands)
you magnificent bastard

>test out my monoblack on xmage
>do nothing for like 4 or 5 turns but build a shitty board state that no one cares about and draw a few cards
>feel really useless
>then play a crypt ghast and draw into a sidisi
>cast sidisi and tutor for gray merchant, play gray merchant, sac my board, play living death to get it back, tutor for victimize with sidisi, sac my board again, cast victimize on sidisi and gray merchant, tutor for corpse dance with sidisi, sac gray merchant, corpse dance it back until everyone else is dead

monoblacks tutors and mana doublers, man. holy shit

Atraxa is really going to shine as a counter salad kind of deck. Got some nice simic creatures and hydras you like? Throw em in. Have a few nice planeswalkers that you can ult reliably? Why not. Would you also like alternate wincons like darksteel forge and azors elocuters? Sure they go in there too. Wanna burn the midnight oil and have divinity counters galore? You bet.

Build the deck so you need to show up to a game with a huge bag of dice knowing you'll need to use all of them

This actually seems pretty fun.[/sp]

more proliferate + charge counters

scryfall.com/search?q=o:"charge counter"

TITANIA
I
T
A
N
I
A

Check my list: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/titania-ravager-of-lands/

You guys have finally given me motivation to make a silly not-really-budget Borbs deck.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/borborygmos-literal-landfall/

Prosh bro.

Yidris. Add some blue splash for the lulz.

>Commanders You've Thought About Building, But Haven't
Fucking Alesha. I've been tinkering with a list on tappedout for months, but I still haven't committed to a paper build. Meanwhile I've been slapping together decks for other commanders no problem, I don't know what's giving me the hang-up on Alesha

In their defense, that does sound pretty douchy.

I would imagine they let it go the one time so you could have your fun, but them when it happened again, they were already tired of it.

I kinda want to build a Naya deck based around the new R/G and G/W partners - all the tokens, then make them unblockable. Talk me out of it. Yes, I know Ghaave would be better, but Ghaave is also Combo-Centric(TM) and I'd prefer to avoid that in favor of just swinging and going wide.

Should I take apart Gahiji and put a good chunk of it into K&T or are they unique enough that I should keep them both? Keeping them both also means I'd probably have to dump around $40 to get K&T up to snuff so is that really worth it? I'd be building K&T more huggy than Gahiji but I feel like the general playstyle would be very similar.

What are some good wincons for K&T? Or should I just go straight hugs and only "win" by forcing a draw?

>all those lands
>no Abundance or that other enchantment that draws an extra card if your turn draw is a land
Consider those