Is anyone familiar with ShadowRun lore...

Is anyone familiar with ShadowRun lore? Has it ever happened that a person or group of people (who weren't a corporation), successfully waged war on a corporation?

Other urls found in this thread:

shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Art_Dankwalther
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Depends. Is this AA or AAA Corp? Not a chance, they are too big.
A or B corp? A very, very slim chance of success.

>Is this AA or AAA Corp?
>Not a chance, they are too big.
That's what I was afraid of.

Alright. Hypothetically speaking, if some runner was sick of the corporations' shit and wanted to either strike a blow against them or start a movement to take one or more down or something, how would they go about doing it?

Is this a surgical strike against specific targets or is it a burn-the-world down bit?

Corporations don't do well when dealing with rampant bug spirits. Or AIs. So get working on that new Mirage.

More seriously, the best way to take out a Corp is to convince another one it needs to be destroyed. That sort of cloak and dagger dealing could be good for a campaign.

This isn't exactly true. Aztechnology is/was facing a pretty significant war against them from a primary non-corp opponent, the whole Amazonia thing.

define success

not canonically

never been done does NOT mean cannot be done man, Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance...

short answer?
CAREFULLY

It can be done, since there's some ridiculous bullshit in Shadowrun.

The problem is, AAA corps have money to buy MORE ridiculous bullshit.

The best you could do is do something to expose one megacorp's soft underbelly to others, or organize a nation-wide rebellion (like in Aztlan).

>expose one megacorp's soft underbelly
and who would report this? CNN?
it gets leaked on the matrix, 10% of the genpop take notice, the rest just shrugs and moves on because "corps are corrupt, ev'rybody knows that".

As has been said, the Nation of Amazonia is currently at war with Aztechnology, one of the biggest and most evil megacorps (albiet with a dragons backing)

And motherfucking Texas fought them to a standstill and forced them to the peace table.

It can be done, but you need allies, you need resources, you need a plan.

A AAA corp is a campaign long foe and you still might only end up destroying it's executive board or knocking it out of the AAA court.

There are one or two story times about anarchist anons knocking the world into the stone age though and basically 'winning'

Info would be supressed but the right people would see it: other Corps.

Corps are their own natural predators. The only thing they can work together on is protecting extra-territoriality and the Zurich world bank.

>More seriously, the best way to take out a Corp is to convince another one it needs to be destroyed.
Yeah this is also what I was afraid of. You may have something with the cyber route though.

>or organize a nation-wide rebellion (like in Aztlan)
Hmmm.

>albiet with a dragons backing
See I knew a fucking dragon would be the answer. And that's not what I'm looking for, all though the nation-wide rebellion itself is definitely something along the lines of what I'm talking about.

>There are one or two story times about anarchist anons knocking the world into the stone age
Oh?

I specifically remember one /srg/ storytime about an user who was playing an Anarchist hacker who, on a job that involved going into space, went off the plot and basically managed to provoke the world nations into declaring war on the AAA's by exploiting a technicality to hack the Zurich Orbital platforms Thor Shot system and 'nuking' something or other in the UCAS.

M.A.D being what it is, the UCAS immediately launched a retaliation strike, and then the hacker dropped the Zurich Orbital Platform from orbit, essentially destroying the global economy that the Corporate Court was built on.

Said decker immediately received a very angry, panicked, screaming call from Lofwyr

Lol. That's funny as shit.

>Said decker immediately received a very angry, panicked, screaming call from Lofwyr

Kek

Well, it's not like his life expectancy was measured in anything other than milliseconds after this stunt.

>what is LIBOR
i think you have no clue about the modern economy nor about the concept of a connected establishment that spans politics, business, media, security, even academics.
protip: it's
>oligopols, oligopols everywhere

So, since we're talking Shadowrun lore and such:

Have they ever actually expanded the fluff on areas that aren't major cities? As an Appalachian Mountain Man, I've always been interested in how the area had developed in the Shadowrun 'Verse, especially in areas like West Virginia and Kentucky.

To be fair, that has almost no relevance in shadowrun - the setting gives zero shits about reality

Get another AAA to go to war with them.

Look for cities with a lot of borders. Now start some shit between them.

>The only thing they can work together on is protecting extra-territoriality and the Zurich world bank.
Oh shit you could shut down-
Well he beat me to it.

Contrary to common perceptions, the World Bank (and by extension the Zurich Orbital Bank) doesn't run the world economy. Taking it out would do nothing to the major economies of the world and it could be quickly replicated on the ground in a week. There is no single point of failure for the world economy. Not even a dozen points of failure (as there are in the internet system).

But this is Shadowrun we're talking about, so make up any fantasy bullshit you want.

Look up shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Art_Dankwalther he is one of the few people who successfully crippled a corp.

>trillionaire
This guy may as well be his own corp.

Not technically "wage war", but one man managed to code a computer program that, in the span of a minute, bought and sold so many actions that the stock of several large corporations plumetted, and bought around 22-23% of he shares of ARES Macrotechnology. That man is Damien Knight, current CEO of ARES.

The public will get brainwashed. The corps cant directly eat eachother or wage open war because the Corporate Court usually intervenes. The best you could do you create an alliance of AAA corps, and dismantle one of the weakest one while making sure it can't reach for the other megas for help.

>Contrary to common perceptions, the World Bank (and by extension the Zurich Orbital Bank) doesn't run the world economy.

Correct. What Zurich Orbital does do however is lend the Corps money, a lot of it. The world bank is the primary lender to the Megacorps, particularly the AAAs. Take it down and all the Corps grind to a halt from lack of available capital. Zurich Orbital is also the headquarters of the Corporate Court which is one of the few things preventing the Corps from descending into all out war. Taking it down might not kill the economy, and the Corps might recover. But it will be the most devastating blow in decades and the Corps will be weaker than they have ever been.