/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Veeky Forums character sheets
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous Thread "Is no fun, is no Blinsky!" edition. Also, "Still waiting for Volo scans" edition.

What do you think of Curse of Strahd? Is it true when people say that it's the best official adventure yet?

Some of the monster races.

Is concentrating on bless worth /not/ concentrating on flaming sphere or faerie fire? I might be underestimating the bonus it gives, but it always seemed to be worse than those options.

Should I be in melee that much? And like above, it is that much better than level 3 flaming sphere, which I get for free? Actual question, maybe I'm missing something.

How do you rule trying to cast a spell without that fact being noticed?

Advantage is average of +5
1d4 is average of +2.5

Jeez, bugbear should have a major drawback alongside all those bennies.

That's what sleight of hand is for, for somatic/material components at least.

If it doesn't have vocal components, I allow my players to roll for deception to disguise their magical gestures as simple hand waving. They usually get a disadvantage, unless they're trying to fool an italian or a jew, to whom those wild movements will seem normal.
Alternatively, they can play a sorcerer and pick up subtle spell or still spell.

Guardian doesn't hurt friend. Guardian hinder enemy. 3d8 is better than 3d6 (if you cast flaming sphere with level 3 slot). 15 feet around you is a pretty big area (compare to flaming sphere 8 square). Radiant damage is better than Fire damage.

Is it possible to make a bladelock that doesn't suck without boning feats or going mountain dwarf for armor?

So my group wanted to play as Orcs and Goblins and asked me to write an adventure for them. I've considered adjusting hoard of the dragon queen for them, but it didn't work out so well.
So I wrote around a bit and came up with the following ideas:

>humans settled down in the tribe's territory and are building a keep there. The chieftain asks them to take care of them

>Someone or something poisoned the river and orcs are dying by the dozen. The PC go investigate and find a necromancer who taints the waters

>A meteor crashed down a few miles north and the shaman wants the PCs to go get it because its some kind of omen

Thing is, I'm not too happy with those ideas either.
Any suggestions and/or ideas for an Orc/Goblin adventure?

How tall are kenku anyway?

We smash puny hoomans
We get shiny sparklies

It's like a goblin dungeon crawling campaign, except the tables have turned

Start with 1 level in fighter.

Like 5 ft I think.

At that point I might as well just go eldritch knight though, right?

There's a new orc chief in town, and he's trying to conquer and unite all the tribes, so he can create an orcish kingdom.
Trouble is, while he is crazy strong and has loyal followers, he has no respect for the old traditions, the tribal independency, the gods, warrior's honor or simple rules of warfare.
And he's winning. If you want to keep the old ways, you need to bring him down, or YOUR tribe is next.

I honestly don't like flaming sphere as a spell. Melee seem to always be in the way

As for faerie fire vs bless, it depends on the situation. Is anyone going to go invisible? Can people get advantage from something else? Are people going to need the extra 1d4 for saves in the fight?

Yeah but my group wants "more" than a simple dungeon or village crawl... Because apparently orcs need epic adventures.

That's good. Thank you, user.

No. They are different.

>Fallen Aasimar makes a perfect Paladin
Wut?

So, if the Tabaxi are back, does that mean they'll acknowledge Maztica? I'm looking forward to fantasy counterpart culture done right- plenty of research, playing to all the stereotypical notes in a respectful tone, and of course the Masked War-Priest kit.

>You live underwater? you have resistance to cold damage even though temperatures underwater are never below those you can find on the surface
>You live in snowcovered mountains and other cold places? get out of here
Fuck you wotc

For inspiration, look for Euron Greyjoy.

"We shall have no king but from the kingsmoot." The Damphair stood. "No godless man—"

"—may sit the Seastone Chair, aye." Euron glanced about the tent. "As it happens I have oft sat upon the Seastone Chair of late. It raises no objections." His smiling eye was glittering. "Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air . . . I know them all. I have seen their peoples garland them with flowers, and shed the blood of goats and bulls and children in their names. And I have heard the prayers, in half a hundred tongues. Cure my withered leg, make the maiden love me, grant me a healthy son. Save me, succor me, make me wealthy . . . protect me! Protect me from mine enemies, protect me from the darkness, protect me from the crabs inside my belly, from the horselords, from the slavers, from the sellswords at my door. Protect me from the Silence." He laughed. "Godless? Why, Aeron, I am the godliest man ever to raise sail! You serve one god, Damphair, but I have served ten thousand. From Ib to Asshai, when men see my sails, they pray."

The priest raised a bony finger. "They pray to trees and golden idols and goat-headed abominations. False gods . . ."

"Just so," said Euron, "and for that sin I kill them all. I spill their blood upon the sea and sow their screaming women with my seed. Their little gods cannot stop me, so plainly they are false gods. I am more devout than even you, Aeron. Perhaps it should be you who kneels to me for blessing."

What I did with my party of orcs was have them trying to become heroes. Because while orcs have to WORK to get human lands or steal their shit, adventurers get that stuff for just killing a few dudes. Plus, splitting loot four (or however many players you have) ways is always more profitable than "the chief gets everything."

Cold weather gear cancels out cold weather but not cold water. As far as I am aware there is no fantasy wetsuit.

Could just give them a resistance to cold temperature without resistance to cold damage though
something like "you can tolerate temperatures down to XX degrees"

Goliaths are pretty meh, and the new races made then even weak now

Delaying Warlock progression for 1 level isn't the same as dropping yourself to 1/3 caster. Fighting Style and Heavy Armor is worth it for bladelock. They fix a lot of your problem.

I'll take your word on it, cutebutt
Is it worth it to take 2 levels for action surge?

If you want to go dip two levels anyway, why not go paladin? You'll actually get smites from this one, and you'll have plenty of spell slots to spare.

Paladins are fags

Depend on your group. Action Surge isn't that much fun, unless you get to take a short rest every encounter.

Can I take paladin 6 and then warlock 3 to get levitate invocation, which requires that you be level 9?

Page 110

> A level prerequisite refers to your level in this class

If the text isn't there, you need to get a new PHB.

no

Why would your DM allow so many short rests? That's just asking to be ganked? Even more so in Barovia

I think that was his point, yes

So if you have wizard5/cleric6 you aren't considered 11th level for cantrips, got it.

No, that's only for halfcasters and martials, full casters always get the nice things.

You are, since those aren't class abilities, they're spells. Speaking of spells and multiclassing, you would only be able to cast level 3 spells despite having 6th level spell slots with your wizard/cleric there

Nice strawman brah. That text is specific for Warlock Invocation. It's in Invocation section for a reason.

Read your PHB before you make yourself look stupid next time.

Can someone help decorate / populate a dungeon for me?

What should it look like, what features / traps should it have, and who should inhabit it (if any creatures).

Basically the idea is it's a grotto that a sea hag lives in by herself, and the idea is that it's full on reverse wizard tower and she's going to pay the adventurers to kick her deadbeat neckbeard son out (who lives at the very bottom).

No clue on how to detail it otherwise though. Any help?

What kind of company would a royal Marid keep / party with?

>kobold player race

fuuuuuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuUUUUUuUUuuuUUuuuuuuuuuuuck

No, you're a warlock, and warlocks are OP nomatter what math and common sense say, so they get nerfed in many ways. Happens the same to monks, even though they deal lower damage than all other martials and have multiple attribute dependency they're OP.

Stop being a passive aggressive twat.

Um.. What

Is this a joke? because Warlocks and Monks are pretty fucking strong, Warlock is probably tied with Bard as the best caster, and Monk is 3rd best martial (beinf Fighter and Paladin the 1st and 2nd) both in defense and damage.

I'm not sure I would claim that warlock is better than sorc/wiz

How did they nerf monk? Other than waterwhip

>Monks are pretty fucking strong
LOL, the only thing monk has is stunning strike, its damage is mediocre, worse than rougue

>Warlock is probably tied with Bard as the best caster
Bards are overrated, would take wizard any day. Warlocks are strong until you hit high levels, because your acces to 6th+ level spells is very limited, besides depending on DM, short rests can be very scarce

>Monk is 3rd best martial (beinf Fighter and Paladin the 1st and 2nd) both in defense and damage.
Barbarian>Fighter>Paladin>Rougue>monk in terms of DPR

...isn't this just the plot of Warcraft?

Not him but in the playtest they dealt more damage (started with 1d6 up to 1d12), could, at 11th level spend 1 ki to add 1d10 to all attacks for 1 minute, etc, devs even outright said that for the official PHB monks would have 1d10 HPs and even more damage than the one in the playtest because they needed it. Somehow this didn't end in the official PHB and it shows, monk is behind everyother martial in damage, more if you use feats, even more if you use magic items, triple more if you use spells (BB on rogues for example). They only shine from 1st to 6th level, and then they're consigned to oblivion. Doesn't help that at best their AC is going to be 16 and their HPs 9 at 1st level.

You forgot to add Ranger, even ranger outdamages monk easily.

Haha, true. When the game was released everyone was hyped for the monk because they are viable compared to 3.5. Now that the dust has settled, most agree it still is behind the others melee classes

> what is having proficiency all saves

> what is evasion

> what is shrugging off fear/charmed because monk

> what is getting up in that asshole caster's face in one round

> what is getting rerolls on saves

> what is flipping off poison and disease entirely

> what is having some awesome subclasses (long death, open palm)

Monks may not have the sheer damage output of other martial classes - and even then sun soul is a thing - but they have plenty of shit to make up for that. In any combat situation where people don't line up and slug it out round by round, monks do very well.

Is not outright useless like in 3.PF but is still lacking, without feats the difference is minimal, almost negible, but with feats, man, every martial ever BTFO the poor monk.

>> what is having proficiency all saves
Something that doesn't happen till 14th fucking level, nigga, most games die before that
>> what is getting rerolls on saves
See above

Kobold PC stats suck:
+2 dex but -2 str (the only race so far in 5E with a penalty)
Small size, move speed 30 ft., darkvision
Advantage on attack rolls if an ally is next to the enemy
Action to give allies advantage on attack rolls to enemies within 10 feet
Disadvantage to attack rolls and perception in sunlight

Why do they get penalties in sunlight, small size, and also -2 str? Is the ability to throw a temper tantrum and give advantage that powerful? The ability to grovel in fear seems weirdly specific, like there is some DnD lore that wizards is trying to force-feed me, like kender or gully dwarves.

No, this is what's so powerful:
>Advantage on attack rolls if an ally is next to the enemy

Also
>> what is shrugging off fear/charmed because monk
Takes an action, action you might not have if you're charmed, frightened, read the effects
>> what is flipping off poison and disease entirely
Diseases and poisons are shit in this edition, woah, fucking awesome, you now don't receive 2.5 extra damage from poison (when your life is like 70-80 at that level) nice work
>> what is getting up in that asshole caster's face in one round
Barb and rogue do it better and earlier and without spending resources

Sun Soul is not that great in damage, user, their first feature doesn't help, their second (costs 2 ki) is not that awesome either unless you caught 4+ enemies, their 3rd only matters if you nova and then your damage drops hard. Do the math, is slightly better than the average monk but still falls behind almost every other martial.

I dont like the -5 hit +10 dam feats in genaral, every other other option cannot compete

Warcraft 2, IIRC

>I dont like the -5 hit +10 dam feats in genaral
They are fine because every class can use one or the other (and most would use them unless they're focused in casting)...except monks, that's my main beef with them.

>They are fine because every class can use
Yeah, but they become a feat tax

And don't forget magic items
I played a precon game and everybody had +1 armor, shield, weapon, whatever, and I have a dagger (not even short sword, quarterstaff or spear) and I could only use it on 1 attack, 2 at 5th level, they were doing at least 3 and benefitting from their bonuses and extras on all of them.

>Yeah, but they become a feat tax
Not really, once you reach 20 on your main stat you will want to spend into feats for sure.

Is not always a must, my AT rogue did more than fine with any of them abusing BB+SA+Cunning Action, my Pal/War/Sor also did fine quickening GFB every turn.

Any word on Tabaxi stats, other than Dex/Cha?

Can anyone here help me with druids? I dont get their spell list, it seems bad compared to other casters, an I missing something? I'm talking about spellcasting (and I think I'll play land druid), so dont bring moon druids

Some of these racials don't make sense when you consider a whole army of that race:
Hobgoblin get +5 to hit on a short rest because people are watching them.
Kobolds can give allies advantage by throwing a fit, even though they give advantage anyway just by being next to them.
Goblins can sometimes do a little extra damage to people bigger than them.
Bugbears get reach and stealth and surprise attack and powerful build because they are the master race apparently. Somehow bugbears haven't conquered and enslaved all other races yet.

Bugbears are too stupid and me smash to conquer, and perhaps lacking in numbers as well

>powerful build
Whats the utility of this besides carryng more weight?

They get Conjure Beasts. That's all you need in combat. 8 Wolves or Elk will wreck most encounter until you get a higher level conjure x spells.

That art is weird as fuck, does it want to be a cat or a dog? Also those hare hind legs

>cat or a dog
Both, its an hyena

none, as for carrying more weight, depends, I played a lot of goliaths in different groups and GMs got super salty that I could carry all that stuff, so they decided to go "nah, it doesn't weight much but it's unweildy so you can't have all of that", funny when you think because these were different GMs that didn't know each other at all.

>nah, it doesn't weight much but it's unweildy so you can't have all of that
that's not an unreasonable point, to be fair, but it's easily countered by "well I'll just dump everything into a cart and pull it" or similar

I heard they have an ability that lets them move twice as fast, but can't use it again until they stand still for a turn.

It's unreasoable when the only reason behind it is to fuck a class feature. I wouldn't be that upset about it if the feature also gave a +1 to damage with heavy or 2hd weapons for example, you still can use it.

As for the cart, I tried that, sadly every place we went was anti-cart material. I basically had the same carrying capacity as a human of my str, so my feature was absolutely useless, and don't get me started on the "I throw a boulder, rock, keg, whatever", only tried once, never again.

So in the last thread someone linked the UA version of the ranger and I have to say. Its a huge improvement on the base ranger. But it almost seems too powerful now. Like why would you want to play a fighter over that?

Am I missing Something or am I right here? Just wondering from people who have used it in game. I'm just going off a quick read.

Is Light Cleric a good replacement for "Mystic Theurge"? UA Theurge Wizard is obviously ban.

Why obviously?

Because if it wasn't he wouldn't be asking probably

Arcane cleric from SCAG?

that is some bullshit
I wish people who pull stuff like that would just be upfront from the beginning and say "that race doesn't exist in my setting"

> Doesn't even get Fireball

Fighter is still better in combat and maybe in social encounter.

It's not bad, but you may also look into tempest. That maximised damage channel divinity does not mess around.

Do you have a decently high spell save for your level? Faerie fire is only good if it sticks. If you're up against a creature with a pretty good dex save, better to go bless for the guaranteed buff. Otherwise, unless you have another source of advantage (like flanking rules) faerie fire is usual better.

Hyena's are ursine.

How would you translate a Sohei1/Enlightened Paladin7?

is flaming sphere just a straight up shittier version of moonbeam? i wanna make sure im not missing anything

You can't, not only those archetypes don't have a match in 5e, the multiclass of those classes in 5e is buttfucking horrible.

Sohei are literally monks. Paladins are paladins, whatever. Pick an oath, probably Ancients.

As a permaDM, I don't understand that ppl can't grasp the concept of roleplaying games. You have to enforce rules and you have to say "no" to your players sometimes, but it's mostly about letting them be awesome and do awesome shit.

Otherwise what's the point