Angels

Do you like angels Veeky Forums? This thread is about discussing angels and related celestial beings

I like the one they had in Curse of Strahd.

I like pretty much all kinds of Angel, although recently I've gone off the 'Angels are villains' thing. It can be cool, but I've not seen it done well in a long, long time.

I do think there are more interesting ways you can make Angels differ from the norm. I've actually been playing this odd little action platformer called Seraph recently, which is about a fallen angel and as the plot unfolds it seems to be taking its own rather interesting stance on the nature of heaven and hell (or, as the game puts it, Origin and Terminus.)

I like angels to be as inscrutable as demons are often portrayed. Angels in my current setting are the ultimate embodiment of law and selflessness.

Angels exist in the tree of life, some kind of cosmic supercontroller that makes the universe running. Angels are debugger programs trying to keep the universe functional

>my angels are incomprehensible Lovecraftian horrors

Pic related, Seraph's protagonist is a gun-fu badass. The titular Seraph is actually using a human as a vessel, a girl called Talia who has her own place in the story.

nice meme

I dig angels. I like to this the Old Testament angels are their natural forms that can't enter the material world. Instead they need to use a medium, like a statue, animal, unborn child, or paladin/cleric. They emerge from these things with necessity to solve a problem or deliver something. Like a level 20 Paladin/Cleric discovers they're an angel, and so becomes one to bring divine retribution to a specific thing before leaving the world. A stray dog becomes an angel to deliver a message of warning to the faithful before disappearing. It helps explain the varied appearances of angels, some with animal heads, some without, some in the form of children. It makes them more varied and interesting to me than statuesque humans or eldritch horrors.

Is God a footfag?

>Origin and Terminus
I like it. Tell me more.

Looking weird doesn't make something an incomprehensible lovecraftian horror.

Nothing in this thread is really lovecraftian, just very inhuman.

I've not beaten the game yet, but there's been some odd statements about Origin being the source of all life and Terminus being its end, with statements to that end very much testing the faith of some clerics in contact with the Seraph prior to the start of the game.

The main draw of the game is the awesome acrobatic gunplay, but the plot and worldbuilding is pretty solid, better than it needed to be.

I've done them a few different ways depending on my mood and what sort of story I'm aiming for. I guess the most unique was when they weren't technically 'angels' but beings that lived out of phase with reality and entered through human hosts. Usually with the host burning up in white fire after awhile. They usually did this as a way to hunt down the result of a certain subset of these beings that were able to stay in their host without burning them up eventually leading to superhuman bloodlines and the myths of gods and heroes.

>derp-de-derp, I'm a celestial, I'm just going to enter Ravenloft, no big deal

I mean, I get that the ol' Demiplane o'Dread enjoys sucking in new recruits, but how exactly did he just "go" there?

>t. Ezekiel

I actually really dig angels/demons from nWoD to be honest, it seems rad as fuck

>not using traditional zoroastrian depictions of angels
>not even using abrahamic depictions of angels
shit tastes user.

I don't like how they raped the original God Machine story for the GMC, it was perfect as it was.

That is true, I just liked the angels

Made in the image of their creators. Many of the gods take humanoid form, so most angels are just pretty humans.

The Creator was not humanoid. The creator's servants have horrific and inhuman forms. Furthermore, no two seem to have the same form- in what image were they made?

So what's the deal with the Ophanim, anyway? What does it mean that they have the spirits of the Cherubim within them - are they even alive themselves, or are they just some sort of... I dunno, magical wheel?

On a related note, the thing where the Cherubim and Ophanim never turn is freaky as fuck and I love it.

Beings of Light in various shapes and forms who are bound to the physical world in bodies of ash.

I do love my angels. My setting revolves around them. The archangels serve as the deities.

>Archangels of the Estralan (True Faithful - Lawful Good)
>Fallen Archangels (Faithful but not pure - ____ Good)
>Grigori (Fallen Angels - ____ Neutral, some Neutral Evil)
>Archdevils - (Lawful Evil)
>Archdemons - (Chaotic Evil) - Lucifer, Baal, Moloch

Then all the different choirs of angels, the seraph, cherubim, thrones, virtues, principalities.

Have Ophanim serving as Warlock familiars for Celestial pacts.

No I do not. They are really uninteresting in either of the two popular variants and their existence generally requires really boring supporting aspects of the setting.

At least post the Apocalypse redesign.

>not making your angels beautiful people who can unwrap their form into incomprehensible, but well-meaning 4-dimensional nightmare

That's clearly his Final form.

Somebody mention angels?

I like angels, but only if they're not human looking. They should be terrifying, incomprehensible beings, fitting of the God they serve. Angels that have good reason to say "Do not be afraid" when you see them. Seraphim that vaporize anyone who looks at their face when they fail to cover it, Ophanim that are infinite cogwork machines just spinning on and on, the angel of death not being some cliche grim reaper, but rather a being that changes appearance depending on your destination after death, appearing beautiful and bringing hope if you are going to Heaven but looking terrifying and bringing despair and anguish to those who shall soon go to Hell.

I like the concept of a divine messenger, just not the dogmas that are usually associated. Just leads to boring, predictable characters.

I have a massive boner for edgy angels, as in such where "angels" are just terrifying monsters that kill shit.

Would your favorite angel happen to be Samael?

I figure Angels would still be beautiful, in the same way an absract work of art can be beautiful.

Sauce?

Rodrigo Vega on deviantart

Neat.

The overwhelming majority are good but with motives so incomprehensible that they usually just tell mortals "We're helping."

They appear as beautiful humans, usually with golden, jade, or ebony skin, though they can take human skin tones if they like. Oh, and they have a true, fourth dimensional form that's completely inconceivable to the mortal mind.

There's also valkyries.

I like angels as fanatical servants of the gods (plural) who tend to take on traits of those they serve and are kept far away from the mortal realm as possible except in the most extreme circumstances. Not that any given deity wouldn't love to directly send their best minions to solve mortal problems, but the prime material plane has a tendency to corrupt angels.

Mortals may worship an angel who overtly appears among them as a god themselves or tempt the angel with all manner of pleasures for favors. The angel may view the imperfect mortal world, comparing it to the relative paradise it hails from, and seek to "improve" this imperfect world while conducting or in opposition to the original mission set forth by its deity.