Character Backstory Creation Help

Hello Veeky Forums. A good friend of mine recently invited me to play a campaign of DnD with some other friends. Now, I've played a decent amount of board games in my life, but never really an rpg along the lines of DnD and Im having a few problems coming up with a character and backstory.

So far, I've settled on wanting to be a robot/A.I./technological thing similar to pic related. I also chose to be a paladin and out of the 3 oath my friend gave me to chose (Devotion, Ancients, Vengeance) I decided more on Devotion, since due to other party characters Vengeance isnt really an option, and I dont see how a robot would merge very well with nature and all that by choosing the other oath.

So how would I go about making an interesting backstory and character out of this? It doesnt have to be anything too complex or deep for a first timer, but feel free to weigh in and help me out.

perhaps this.

>your creator made you
>brought you to near-human in psyche
>(s)he beleived strongly in something
>long ago(or recently) they died possibly of old age
>you lived, and decided that your creator would approve if you devoted your existence to their beliefs
>so you held the funeral for your creator, saw to the dispersal of his worldly good, and equipped yourself to walk within the world of men and do the work of your creator.

I was thinking alongside the idea of having my creator's will and/or ideology being programmed into my uh, processor? Or mechanical brain or whatever it would be.

In the many ideas that I had, i was also thinking I'd be waking up after a long time because a given SOMETHING happens which prompts my awaking and that in those first hours I would basically review all my stocked memories and learn about being good and just and all those things my creator made me with.

But I like it, definitely has potential.

Do you think it'd be good if I was the dumb kind of AI that doesnt know much about the emotional side of humans and the supernatural aspects of the world (Like souls and all that) or something along the lines of Zenyatta? Someone that is aware of how human emotions work and such?

Are there any more of these pics user?

>I was thinking alongside the idea of having my creator's will and/or ideology being programmed into my uh, processor?
>processor
this is D&D you could have been assembled by a wizard and be running a silicate-block processor(a magic rock that can think) or a soul trapped in a stone.

it's magic worry about the technicalities later.

>In the many ideas that I had, i was also thinking I'd be waking up after a long time because a given SOMETHING happens which prompts my awaking and that in those first hours I would basically review all my stocked memories and learn about being good and just and all those things my creator made me with.
this also works, and it meshes well with a backstory for a technically immortal being(starting out at level 1 instead of stupid high level) perhaps some forester stumbled into the magical range of your creators workshop, triggered your activation, but then wandered away again. you creator being long dead wasn't there to shut you off and by remaining online long enough you simply came to conclusions that you could justify wandering off with.

>Do you think it'd be good if I was the dumb kind of AI that doesnt know much about the emotional side of humans and the supernatural aspects of the world (Like souls and all that) or something along the lines of Zenyatta?
either is fine with a "woke up in the workshop long after creator death" you could play yourself like the android from Dark Matter or the floaty robo-buddah thats up to you since it's D&D.

"Devotion" could be a subroutine at first and grow to be a core basis for emotion, or it could have been the goal of your creator to make a robot with that particular devotion and you were a final prototype.

hold your horses I'm getting to it.

>"Devotion" could be a subroutine at first and grow to be a core basis for emotion, or it could have been the goal of your creator to make a robot with that particular devotion and you were a final prototype.

Oh I really like that. It would be a good character growth thing, going from just being an emotionless hunk of metal or rock to actually understanding why Im willing to protect all these people and creatures.

>the android from Dark Matter

Never seen it. What's he like?

Also, holy shit that's sad as fuck. Seeing him all decrepit and broke besides her.

she

and she starts the series needing a hard-wipe and reboot, everything she says is both helpful and monotone, she can run most of the ship functions and has several useful installed programs. as the series progresses she develops. especially after questioning the motives of the crew who've on occasion risked life and limb to protect her

I'd give it a recommendation first 2 seasons are on netflix

I collect stories, pictorial or not.

it's what I like to do.

>doesn't see how ancients would work
You were half complete, abandoned in a forest grove. You lived a life of low-level awareness and contemplation. Animals and insects made home in your rotted wood while you were swallowed by moss. You were eventually found and refurbished, but your whole personality was developed around being forest litter for a couple of decades.

You have only vague memories of your creator. Mostly just her name. You might have been the ghost of a loved one -maybe even a child- bound to this body as you lay dying. As for the abandonment, maybe the transfer wasn't perfect or some violent incident occurred.

You have the opportunity to be robot Swamp Thing.

>Robot swamp thing

I really like the sound of that. I'd have to consider it.

Why? Now im crying.

BECAUSE STRONG EMOTIONS BUILD GOOD CHARACTERS

I came here hoping to take an emotionless character, a robot, and get help humanizing and giving them a personality.

Now I just feel like crying nonstop.

>you will never be such a beta faggot to actualy feel sad about a heartless emotionless construct that pretends to give you emotional support gets deactivated

THEN MAKE YOUR CHARACTER EMOTONLESS AND HOPE THEY BECOME SOMETHING GREAT

MAKE YOUR PALADINS DEVOTION SO POWERFUL THAT IT BRINGS MERE MORTALS TO TEARS IN IT'S FULL DEVELOPMENT

DO IT FAGGOT

dude, quit shitting on the parade

>THEN MAKE YOUR CHARACTER EMOTONLESS AND HOPE THEY BECOME SOMETHING GREAT MAKE YOUR PALADINS DEVOTION SO POWERFUL THAT IT BRINGS MERE MORTALS TO TEARS IN IT'S FULL DEVELOPMENT
>DO IT FAGGOT

BUT I DONT KNOW HOW. I NEVER READ BOOKS IN HIGHSCHOOL I DONT KNOW HOW TO MAKE CHARACTERS. HELP ME MONOTREEME SENPAI YOU'RE MY ONLY HOPE.

/thread
You win OP

Thanks I guess. I won the thread, but Im probably gonna lose the game.

>but Im probably gonna lose the game.
WRONG ATTITUDE BITCH

IF DEVOTION IS YOUR OATH THEN YOU BETTER GET UP AND GET ON.

Based monotreeme

YEAH. IM GONNA FUCKING OWN THAT SHIT.

Ok but in all seriousness, I think im gonna go with what you said earlier. Accidentally awoken by some farmer, instilled with the will of the creator, slow learner those kind of things.

Anything else that I should perhaps add to my character? Perhaps some character quirks? Like I start of with retard speak (Me robot, Am happy, JUSTIIIIICE etc etc) and slowly learn how to talk and act from everyone around me?

>ME ROBOT. ME KILL YOU. ME DO JUSTICE!

And then he becomes
>A most wonderful of evenings to you good sir, I do believe that perchance due to your utmost inadequate methods of conduct it is my preordained duty to bestow JUSTICE upon you.

Yas

>I NEVER READ BOOKS IN HIGHSCHOOL
OH SHIT NIGGER WHAT ARE YOU DOING

okay, first you have an idea of what you character already is.
fortunately this is also how I build characters.

>what you have
a near emotionless shell
a prime directive
a paladin skillset

what I do when I build characters is I build something cool and create story to justify why that is.

>what you need
1.) creation
your character wasn't born (or was he?) he was created in a lab or a workshop.
who created you?
why?
when?
what did you do or learn before the long deactivation?

2.) activation
were you always alive?
what did you do before you became a member of the party?
what things did you encounter?

3.) details
look at your character art options, look for quirks.
explain them.
have you encountered a friend who gave you a gift?
>pic related is a fine example of this. its on the cover of a novel featuring life experiences of the shown character.
>his pistol was a gift given early in his career, given by a warrior of renown
>the staff over his shoulder is a space-magic artifact to fight deamons with carved by a friend of his mentor
>the book bound in chains is a macguffin he uses to banish deamons
>the short blade on his hip is reforged from the broken sword of a fallen comrade

my point is that you take all the details about the character and explain them. you don't need to write a novel, just some context and story. a bullet point or two per detail is all you need for back-story.

Fucking based. Alright let me start from the top

>Your character wasnt born (Or was he)

So this got me thinking. What if The creator, made me as a sort of shell for a son/lover/parent/whatever that he or she loved deeply but died through some tragic event. What if through DnD magic he kind of combined the soul of said person with the machine he created and gave it life? kind of like that one dude from Full Metal Alchemist, but more robotic.

This sort of backstory explains the next two

>Who?
Mother/Father/Lover/Sibling Etc one of.

>Why?
To cope with my death/body disintegration and to keep me alive through a mechanical "fake" way.

>When?

Given that I'd imagine myself old and long forgotten in some laboratory, I'd say around a couple hundred years ago.

>What did you do before deactivation?

I need to work on this one.

how he develops is up to you, just remember that these changes need to be more gradual.

keep in character, be the apparent simpleton or the idiot savant...slowly increase your humanlike behavior. you might start by speaking very little on interpersonal things or by expounding on facts. what need would a machine have for Panic? Love? Worry?

good references for this behavior might be Dr. Temperance "Bones" Brennan or Zack Addy from the TV show Bones. The aforementioned Android from Dark Matter. Castiel or any of the angels from Supernatural. Delta or Santa from Red versus Blue.

>Fucking based.
WTF does this mean?
I am an oldfag here

>kind of like that one dude from Full Metal Alchemist, but more robotic.
the word you're looking for is "automail" and the D&D equivalent would be "Warforged" and a necromantic attempt at bonding a soul to one.

>who? why?
this is good, it also means you might not bear the devotions of your master but of your host or empowering soul or they may have only partially imprinted. you can use this person as a compass for morality calls.

>need to work
good, usually once you get going it snowballs to what you need

Fucking based means something along the lines you X (in this case you) fucking rock mate keep it up.

Alright let me move on to the second part then.

>were you always alive
Being in the deactivation state, I'd say i've been on "Stand-by" for all those years. Something between deep sleep and a coma.

>what did you do before you became a member of the party?

Wandering about, trying to help and learn and adapt however I could.

>What things did you encounter?

Hmm, perhaps hostility? I dont know, this is where you would know. How would people and creatures in the dnd world. Elves, humans etc, react to robots and such?

Not OP but

>fucking based

It means you're fucking awesome, which is a true statement if I've ever heard one.

>How would people and creatures in the dnd world. Elves, humans etc, react to robots and such?
see, here is where it gets icky...
only your DM would know that because D&D doesn't have just one "world", some have "warforged" living machines which are uncommon but not unheard of, some don't.
some variations have a higher ratio of racists bigots, theives, fools etc.

you DM picks the world, thats his character, he dictates the reactions of that world to the actions of the player-characters. he decides which kings hate machines and which don't.

so for that you'll have to ask your DM.

that said every world has a few bad people and a few good people think about some different scenarios, consider them, after you consult with your DM tailor them to the world and your backstory

Hmm alright. I'll talk to him. I could also go and combine what the other user above said and have myself be like, a forest hermit of sorts, living in a cave, wandering from place to place. Maybe accidentally running into people and bandits and some such events.

Lets get on to 3

>look at your character art options, look for quirks.

Going by the OP image alone, which is basically what I'll be using I already have 2 ideas:

First and mainly, The red cape would probably be something my creator wears and which I find on his body immediately after waking up. Mainly I'd initially just take it out of curiosity but over time grow attached to it.

Secondly, I think im gonna have limbs and joints that rotate 360 degrees. Especially the torso. Idk why that would be important, but I feel like it would.

What would be another object I could find around the lab, something that would symbolize my creator and his life and something that I could become attached to and dependent on later, even though at first i'd have no idea what it is? A picture would be too cliche.

>A picture would be too cliche.
dogtags or an amulet
an engraved utility knife with your makers name on it.

maybe your maker or the soul bonded to you related to a sword and shield on the mantle-piece as being special, or valuable thus explaining your starting weapons, if that soul was a child then perhaps a stuffed terrasque or small toy

just a small token or two will do fine to start.

>That story

Man. I have two entire suitcases at home filled with bionicles. I use to love that shit as a kid and even towards my teenage years. But then I just kinda stopped. Now I feel sad.

Anyway I think I kind of have my entire backstory pretty much set thanks to you. I'll get to writing it and see how it turns out, would you wanna read it when im done? Im not the most artistic of writers but I'll see how it turns out.

Again, thanks for the help.

short-stroke it for me, chronological bullet points or a couple of short paragraphs...not all of a life story needs to be art.

but sure, after my evening stroll I might read it and have input

Oh well I was gonna write a whole novella (1 and a half pages or so)

I mean, you already kinda have a whole general idea, you helped formulate it.

>Now I feel sad.
if you were angry the word to describe me would be "troll"

but I find that making people feel sad is better, even if there isn't a word in english for it. if I could collect the tears I would, I certainly do from my submissive, they are tasty.

a page and a half is fine
I've written shorter short-stories, but I can handle that

Post more sad stories then. I loved the previous ones.

I'd post some myself but I only have and a 3000 page manga.

this might have some sads for you if you've watched ed edd and eddy...

This one hurt.

Now its just getting a bit weird mate.

eh, I was scraping the barrel for sads anyway...last of the stuff

Thanks anyway. Those were some good stuff.

Some of the stuff you posted, even helped me with something else, more personal outside of this whole DnD thing. So thank you.

sure thing dude, I have some uplifting stuff too.

like I said, I collect stories...more rarely I write them. mostly I collect.

Something about crafting your own world. Your own characters and breathing life into them. Its so fulfilling.

Sure post them, if you dont have anything im keeping you from.

>if you dont have anything im keeping you from
not for an hour to my stroll

and I make or help make worlds too. Lost Source and BloodBrew.

this one demonstrates why your choice to have been activated after a long time in stead of being immortal and awake for a few centuries

Holy shit I want a dm like that.

everyone does m'lad not everyone gets that...

The fact that these kind of people exist makes me glad to be alive.

I should visit this board more often.

DO IT FAGGOT

in this place we collect stories about people imaginary OR REAL

I wish I knew someone that cool nowadays. My sister used to be that cool

Sure i'll definitely stick around.

I'd go with this so fucking hard if the the crazy guy was actually running a naval campaign.

Based monotreeme is still at it

I think he went to his stroll

nah, distracted by programming new iPod

digging though old albums finding just the songs I like...

evening stroll is 9:15ish local time

It is currently 3 am over here. Still writing that background story. Im really getting into it.

good, but remember, GMs don't need a book they need a shortish back-story to peruse.

not saying that you shouldn't write that full backstory, but if it's past page 2 you need a synopsys for the GM

the full story can help you keep in character even if the GM doesn't use it.

also WTF is up with the new captcha system

Oh im just doing it for pleasure cause I like writing. Its not even a full page yet.

Yeah this captcha's kinda fucked.

think of it this way, if you like writing what you do is write the backstory as chapter one, and keep notes on the "life" of your character on his adventures.

come back at the conclusion of your adventures, find an appropriate thread and share the highlights or use it to write an actual story for publication.

I might do that, but it would be difficult to keep all the details in mind after a 6 hour dnd session.

Besides, I already have something I've been writing for the past.. jesus has it been 3 years now. Where has the time flown... Given my current rate, GRRM will finish Asoiaf before I finish this.

well, you keep truncated notes, just the most basic stuff you fill in the blanks and it should build a story.

thats the goal of D&D and other TTRPGs to end by crafting a story worth reading.

This Thread, has become more than just a Thread. Someone needs to Archive this shit.

why?

it's just an advice thread.

and all you need is the little things

sometimes they add up
and this might be a suitable cause for you

Oh shit I didnt even consider music. You just gave me another brilliant idea.

...I meant the orphanage business...

but whatever floats your boat

Oh yeah that too. Jack the friendly orphan building robot.

>orphan building robot.
I WILL BUILD THE GREATEST MECHA-ORPHAN

after my stroll...back in an hour or 2...

Alright you have a good one user.

When I finish, I'll just post the story here in this thread ok?

I decided not to add another part, I think this will do for now.

The low whirring of a neon light echoed inside the decrepit chamber.

The air was musky and thick with age. Gnats and flies basked in the blue glow that illuminated a portion of the room. It came from a tall thin metal casing that covered two thirds of a wide octagonal glass compartment. Inside was not but a black dense liquid. A small insect crawled across the what once was a marble floor. Now it looked like a carpet of dust, cobwebs and petrified muck.

The insect scurried across, perhaps in search of food or shelter before it perked up at a small far away vibration and hurried into a small crack in the wall. The faraway vibration grew louder, and louder, reverberating through the rocks until it lashed out and pulled back in silence. An iron tube attached to the ceiling, weighed down by the ages and faulty rusted screws, detached and smashed against the metal casing. As if some ancient mechanism sprung to life, the casing began whistling before pulling back against the black glass. The liquid inside began bubbling as if boiling, slowly beginning to drain. A sharp gurgled noise erupted as the liquid stopped draining and began pooling from the bottom of the glass chamber, flooding the room.

The doors pulled apart releasing a blackened smog from within. A metal carcass fell from inside it, crashing against the liquid that was its coffin mere minutes ago. It jumped and spattered the old machines and boxes nearby, before drowning back into silence. A small light flickered. A metallic finger began flexing and extending, and slowly another, and then another. The light’s mind was a cascade of numbers and letters, each trying to find meaning and sense between the chaos. Its hand rose, the gears whirring loudly as its joints creaked with the age of centuries and stopped in the air before slamming down onto the floor.

cont.

Soon, its other hand began moving as well, pulling the rest of its light body forward. Then its legs began flexing, putting themselves against the floor and pushing it upwards. Only for a moment, before it collapsed back down on its knees. It tilted its head, spotting a nearby object. Its long sharp fingers grasped at it, bringing it up towards the light that shone from the center of its head. It recognized the object. The letters began forming in its mind, creating a word, a word it slowly remembered it could pronounce.

“Rrr… r… oh… rooh… k. Roo...hck. Rooock. Rock. Rock.”

Its head moved around the room, illuminating other things. There was no other source of light, except that which came from it and it’s tomb behind it. It once again pulled itself upwards. First one leg, knee and opposing ankle joint bent followed by the other. It balanced itself carefully, and pulled back its spine standing tall, well over seven feet, with its hands curled into metallic fists.

Location: … Unknown. Said the letters and numbers that collected into thoughts.
Time: … Unknown.
Purpose: … Unknown
Accessing memory bank… loading

In the meanwhile, the robot explored its surroundings and found the bones and remains of someone. Its eye scanned the dust-ridden skull.

Sex: . . . Female.

It moved down towards the skeleton’s hands, which clutched a small crimson cloak lined with golden symbols around the edges. The numbers and letters in its mind jumped a few spaces, as if some ancient memory was uncovered and screamed from inside the gears and machines in its head before they returned to their rightful place.

Object: … Clothing
Wear? … Affirmative.

A small jingle was heard as a bauble fell from the cloak and onto the floor. The claws on its right foot closed around the silver chain and brought it to its eye for inspection.

Object: … Dog Tags
Read inscription: … Name: Dragyx

The name repeated itself constantly in its mind. As if something innate tied itself to it, bound to its very nature. A singular word appeared in its mind. It put the tags back inside their pockets within the cloak.

My name? … Unknown

My name? … Unkn-Dr

My name? … Dragyx

Memory bank … Partially Loaded

Purpose: … Protect.

That should be good enough I'd say for a start

ah yes, the most fashionable combination known to man.the perfect fusion of SWOOSH and CLANK:

ROBOT CLOAKS

Fuck yeah. Robot Cloaks are awesome.