Does Veeky Forums play MUDs?

Lately I've been getting into HellMOO. It's fun, but it's such a fucking grind.

Anybody know if the Discworld mud is any good?

Other urls found in this thread:

mudconnect.com/
mudlet.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Discworld Mud was probably my favorite when I was going though a mudding a few months back, has some grind to it as well but not HellMOO grind.

Alter Aeon was another one I liked, not a lot of grind and an interesting multiclassing system where the best way to do things ends up with you leveling a little bit of everything eventually

How does someone, such as I, get into MUDs?

HellMOO is fun. I've been on and off with it for years now. You need a corp. to make the grind easier. Find some cool people to hang out with. I'd probably like it more if there was RP outside of the people who just have sex 24/7.

I haven't tried Discworld, but I've been looking into the Wheel of Time MUD.

Pretty easily, provided you have a good understanding of English, since that's what most are in.

If you've got an idea what you want just look it up and add 'MUD' or 'MOO' to the end. For example, "Cyberpunk MUD".

You'll also want a client, I use SimpleMU, though a lot of people prefer zMUD. The browser based clients are almost universally trash.

Specifics between MUDs will obviously vary greatly. Some are little more than platforms for RP, while some, like Aardwolf or Hellmoo, have a lot of mechanics backing them up. Some enforce RP, some it's optional, some it's simply non-present.

Basically just browse around and find something you like, look at which clients seem to fit your needs and try something out. If a MUDs community isn't tolerant of new people, it probably isn't a MUD you want to play anyway.

Also check out mudconnect.com/

A lot of stuff on there is out of date, but it's a decent starting place.

Adding to what says, I'd recommend playing some text adventure games on the side to get used to the kind of abstract theater-of-the-mind thinking you'll be doing a lot of as you play MUDs.

No, but I ERP on a furry MUCK. Does that count?

here,

reminded me, while 'MOO' and 'MUD' are the two most common one's you'll see, there are also some you'll find called 'MUCK' or 'MUSH', so if the first two don't find you anything try searching with those.

I loathingly must say technically yes...

I grew up playing the Zork games and A Mind Forever Voyaging, so I hope I'll be good.
Thanks.

Didn't really like Alter Aeon; felt too MMO-y to me. It was the equip binding that I liked the least.

I used to play RetroMUD, but, yeah, the grind killed my interest. There's somethign about only being able to advance 1/30th of your necessary skill-to-level per strict 24 hour period, which meant that the time when I could train skills was very slowly drifting forward... Do it at 3 PM one day, do it at 3:05 the next, then 3:20... pretty soon you couldn't do it until 12:35 AM, or you'd miss a day.
Also: the suicidally massive spike in difficulty I ran into in some areas: as a melee focussed werewolf ranger, I imagined that I would shit out damage and regenerate health at a fair clip... but I found out quickly that going from area "A" where you can fight annoying lemurs that give no treasure, to area "B" where you fight flesh-rending velociraptors who frenzy in multi attacks and tear through whatever meager leather armor you can craft from lemur hides... well, you die disturbingly fast.

>technically yes
The best type of yes.

Reminds me: there used to be a SuperMegaTopia MUCK out there somewhere.... I coded up a section of desert outside of the town, and a shooting gallery.

That was a nearly-erp furry superhero game.

and I played a giant cowboy rattlesnake years before Rango made it cool.

Back during high school and just after (late '90s early '00s), I definitely hung out with people who played a hell of a lot of MajorMUD, back when that was a thing. Even now, there's still enough info over at mudcentral to gather how the game was played, and I've definitely tried to kinda shoehorn some stuff from that game into my own homebrews at one point or another.

As it stands now, I haven't actually played in over a decade. I don't particularly see that changing anytime soon, either.

I only ever played the ironrealms MUDs and got REALLY into Midkemia until a couple years ago. I haven't been able to find another one I really like.

Lithmeria got super hyped but ended up being shit

Midkemia shut down a couple months back now, most of the players seem to have migrated to Lusternia or Achaea.

The trick to having good HellMOO RP beyond sexhaving is in the corps. Develop relationships with other players and then interact with your characters based on that. Like, if there's a higher-level player who takes you on mutation runs, assume that your character either appreciates this and looks up to the other player's character, or is resentful that they need the help, or it's not like they L-LIKE them or anything, or whatever.

This works in pretty much any MMO that's big on intra-guild relations.

Really, if you're going to be sexhaving at all, dynamics like this are a far better excuse for it than one or both of you deciding to take a dip in the fountain in the basement of the Hellfire club.

God that fucking fountain...

Yeah, I guess none of the Corps I got into were ever really into the RP thing. I'm sure there are some out there though.

I hate the way the pvp works in those games though :/

favorite thing about midkemia was how accessible it was. Shoutouts to raelyr for matawa

One-on-one interactions with other players is a better environment for RP than just getting into the corp.

I prefer Achaea's combat to Aetolia's, really (less predictable, takes more skill), it's big problem is that because it's the oldest the really big players are really, really big, and kind of seem used to getting their way.

Never played Lusternia.

Wgat's going on on this 'cap?

I don't play the game but it definitely looks like he killed an npc and ate his brains

That's exactly what happened. Killed an NPC, got money for it off of a bounty contract, and then ate his brains to restore health under the zombie mutation.

This is one of the LESS fucked up things that happens in HellMOO.

Fuck yeah my fellow dumf zomfie! I am slightly ashamed ot admit that I occasionally howl in the mall then lead a massize army of zombies into town to get them as close as possible to the orphanage so they kill everyone low level and afk they come across

I remember playing Hellmoo with a buddy once. While the edgy parts are neat, it became a huge grind after a while. I eventually resorted to using an Autohotkey script to automatically farm crack fiends and train some skill as the thing just got boring after a while.

Maaaan that takes me back, I haven't played any MUD in years upon years, and the MUD heyday was long before that.

what's one of the MORE fucked up things that happen?

You can rape NPCs. NPCs can rape you. Other PCs can rape you.

Has anyone used the phone client Blowtorch?
If so how good is it, and how do you actually own a game in it?

>phone client
Oh god, that sounds horrible.

I'd recommend the fork InfernoMOO. It's a lot less grindy, but unfortunately also marginally less fucked up.

How less fucked up? There are some kinks I can do without

What's the best client? I'm just using straight telnet and some MOOs will say things while I'm typing and fuck up my input and I hate it.

>straight telnet
No, dude, just no. Use any client, it'd be better than telnet. I use to use one called tintin++ but that's not for everyone. Zmud used to be popular back in the day. There is a popular open source one, forgot the name, that was very popular the last time I played a few years back. That's your best bet, it's modern, feature rich, constantly being developed and supported.

Used to play Shadows of Isildur hours on end, back in the day. I tried getting back to it recently, but..
>only a few people playing it
>massive timeshift
>lost playerbase bullying returners on their unofficial forum

I don't hate it, and I'm glad to see the few remainders are still doing things even in a slow and limited basis, but I don't have the patience for it that I used to have.

No more raping orphanages, I believe.

tt++ gives me text rendering issues sometimes, but otherwise it's really neat.

please don't let this thread die already

I saw muds had only text and started to search a mud to play, thinking that the fact it had only text was to somehow allow even deeper gameplay than 3d, 2d or ascii text rpgs.

Than I saw this was not the case, the gameplay is not special and stopped to care about it

I used it. Only good for RPing. Some people have scripts for grinding on it though

I use Mudlet

as far as MMO pvp goes I found the combat much more interesting and there is a lot more room for cool afflictions that would be impossible to translate graphically

HellMOO is still alive? Holy shit.

TT++ is cool, but it seems to mess with text rendering when I use split mode, and without split mode it's not really any better than straight telnet with trigger and macro support.

Anybody know how to solve that problem? Ah well, I suppose it's back to mudlet for now.

Pump

Any love for lost souls? It's a fantasy MUD that is very Veeky Forums core. Easy to get into.

Currently playing on one now. RP-enforced and finally snuffing out the edgy anime-ish characters by implementing a diceroll system for acted out combat with saves and such.

It's a great medium when you have likeminded people that actually give a shit, but there's the inevitability for drama as well as the bunch of people who can't type despite it being a requirement for playing.
And a few of the Immortals also can't type, which is awesome. Thankfully they're in charge of less important things; basically glorified janitors that got their position for being there a long time.

Achaea is still around? Wow, I remember jumping ship from that to Imperian, but Imperian is a complete ghost town now. That was a good fourteen years ago, so I'm surprised.

>Achaea is still around
I feel old for playing Materia Magica back in the day.

I played the FUCK out of a A Moment in Tyme MUD back in the day. Holy shit did I spend too damn much time on there.

Were there macros to tug your braid or did you need to set those up yourself?

People can explode on death. People can rape each other. People can grow penises at will. People can throw severed body parts at each other. There's a fountain that makes you horny and you eventually become addicted to it. You can get all kinds of radiation mutations.

I'm pretty sure you can rape each other in InfernoMOO.

I'm sure the can. Not sure how that's relevant to 's question, though.

>a popular open source one, forgot the name
Mudlet was what I was thinking of.
mudlet.org/

I like mushclient, but mudlet seems to be the new hotness.

>as far as MMO pvp goes I found the combat much more interesting and there is a lot more room for cool afflictions that would be impossible to translate graphically
mud is not even close dwarf fortress level of gameplay

actually its not even close to the game play of those df clones

I'm going to try this one out during my breaks at work today

What is the difference between Delta and Epsilon?

You can rape orphans in various ways, like skullfucking.

There is some fantasy mud good for starters? Mudconnect proposed Lensmooir, but I do like to know your opinion.

*Is there

Any decent Cyberpunk MUDs out there that are worth getting into as a newbie? Most of the ones I tried seemed to be dead.

Ill mever forget how absurd becoming an Occultist was in Achaea. So many secrets and weird areas. RIP the Erisian Pyramid, you were a shitty hellhole but Im still proud of making it through. The Ashtan Bog was almost as bad.

Dont even get me started on The Enchiridian.

I don't think that he claimed anything of the sort

Mudconnect is poor at recommending anything.
Just pick one and go - preferably not a pay-for-benefits MUD.

Dwarf Fortress is the extreme end of vidya depth. Saying that game isn't as deep as DF is like saying a painting isn't as detailed as the Mona Lisa.

Went for Aardwolf.

Not gonna lie, I just noticed that she is wearing a veil.

Aardwolf is good for starting out, if I remember right.

>Saying that game isn't as deep as DF is like saying a painting isn't as detailed as the Mona Lisa.
I was expecting muds to have deep gameplay, because of the fact they used text instead of 3d graphics, 2d graphics or ascii text.
I was thinking the point of having text instead of those other 3 was to allow deeper gameplay.
Then I started to try muds and saw they were just usual games with text graphics.

Also I was not expecting them to be as deep as dwarf fortress, but expected games going into that direction

I don't see why they would correlate. Most ASCII games are pretty simple. Only a few roguelikes really go in that direction.