/swg/ - Stardust Neo-Crusaders

Post about X-Wing, Armada, FFG's Star Wars RPGs, d6, d20 (Saga), movies, shows, books, comics, vidya, lego, lore, and everything else Star Wars related

Previous Thread: Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Star Wars: Armada Miniatures Games
>pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB

Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPG System (EotE/AoR/FaD)
>pastebin.com/wCRBdus6
>mega.nz/#!DkNTDTyZ!PUupCOep4RmRcsgI3rNhU_Pk_xcyFbYWnhrq8gwrVv0

Other Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Tabletop (Imperial Assault, Star Wars: Destiny and the Star Wars LCG)
>pastebin.com/ZE4gn0yN

Fantasy Flight Games Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the Star Wars RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older Star Wars Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ

Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>mega.co.nz/#F!2R5kDTqQ!WfrDla-jvDIn05U57T9hhQ

Just What IS Canon Anyways?
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#2014_reboot
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png

Writefaggotry
>pastebin.com/cJY5FK9T

Shipfag's hangar
>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing

HoTAC
>dockingbay416.com/campaign

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/?oi0uo4og79sw830
warez-bb.org/viewtopic.php?t=19380228&highlight=
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/T-65_X-wing_starfighter),
youtube.com/watch?v=kFWMhzZtj38
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/MK-series_maintenance_droid)
youtube.com/watch?v=1Culs9XVzik
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Could this be the work of... VADER?

First for post Armada lists

>post Armada lists
always Rhymerball

"I REJECT MY HUMANITY, OBI-WAN!"

Thanks for the feedback on the Imperial light cruiser last thread everyone!

I made this as well, so more feedback is welcome! I took stat inspiration from the Consular and GR-75, but the way encumbrance works is driving me nuts. Not sure if the price is right either.

It doesn't have an official length but based on the CR90's canon length (~126 m) it should be around the size of a Consular.

WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

>OH NOOOOO

QUESTION

If over the years i've heard about all these deaths in the EU and the broad strokes of who killed them, if the EU still worth reading through?

Thrawn, Mara, Jacen, Anakin Solo, Chewie

>OH! MY! GOD!

I mean, yes? Some parts of it, anyway. Just because you know a character dies doesn't mean books with them aren't worth reading.

Yes. Thrawn's death happens in his introductory trilogy. He was always meant to die. If you don't read anything set after the Hand of Thrawn duology, you won't even have to deal with the deaths of Mara, Jacen, Anakin Solo, or Chewie. There aren't many good books set after Hand of Thrawn anyway. Aside from Mercy Kill, nothing else comes to mind.

There are also a fuckload of great comics, vidya manuals, and RPG splat books in Legends. Especially RPG splat books. WEG's d6 system has a shitload of good fluff and worldbuilding.

I would never try to read through all of the EU. There is just so much of it, and a substantial portion is just awful.

The good parts are worth reading even with the canon reset, though. The Thrawn Trilogy is a great place to start. It's probably the most universally liked portion of the old EU.

Looking at the FFG site, I'm confused.

When and where is the Pennsylvania regional tournament?

All of the other states have times and locations listed, but not PA.

I want to go to my first regional soon, but I have no idea what's going on.

Is there just no regional in PA this year? Do any other states not have Regionals listed?

Yes and no. There's a LOT that's definitely a product of its time - and the 90s were... a very, very odd time for sci-fi, let alone licensed fiction.

The later post-RotJ stuff just gets bad. People can argue the quality of the NJO series (a 19-book trek), but it's basically nearly-universally agreed that the stuff that comes after that spans from meh to awful. The prequel-era EU was hit or miss, but usually its worst wasn't offensively bad like some of the post-NJO stuff was.

The Thrawn trilogy has its ups and its downs, and for many people it was essentially the "true" sequel trilogy. It manages to mostly stay true to Star Wars conventions, get the characterizations mostly right, give nods to previous works, and still be original.

Yeah, i'm on Dark Force Rising now and i'm loving it.

I do wonder- does the NJO have some standout books besides Traitor?
I love Luceno. Are the three books he wrote for the NJO good?

Yeah, I more meant the post ROTJ EU. TFA soured me on Disney's plans for that era.
I have read and loved a ton of the prequel era books and comics.

>NJO
If it was written by Allston, Stackpole, or Zahn, then it's most likely palatable, at the very least. I wouldn't touch anything else in the NJO era, though.

>I would never try to read through all of the EU.

There is wisdom in this statement.

Luckily I am not a wise man.

Should have a review of Champion of the Force ready tomorrow. After that, Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina, Tales From Jabba's Palace, Tales of the Bounty Hunters, and something really awful as a surprise.

Something really awful? Bantam era or post-Bantam?

Man, Tales of the Bounty Hunters is a weird thing in the EU. As far as I know, it's *the* thing to read on Dengar and IG-88, but the Boba Fett story seems so far off base with every other depiction of him.

NJO can suck my cock. Han Solo's widower adventures are tolerably well written, but generally, all storylines are trash regardless of the writing quality. Hand Of Thrawn is the real ending, fight me

I read Vector Prime a couple months after it came out (I would have been in 6th grade at the time). I hated it so much I didn't pick up another Star Wars book until I was a couple years into college.

Bantam era. Its a slog with a few interesting concepts buried in the ponderous writing.

Re-reading it as an adult, the Boba Fett story is actually pretty amazing, and a way better possible "Last Han Solo Story" than the one we actually got.

I didn't much like their IG88, where he somehow weighed multiple tons and lifted even more.
Wait what? Leia doesn't die in NJO, oh Ohhhhhhh ...You cheeky bastard.

>Bantam era. Its a slog with a few interesting concepts buried in the ponderous writing.
Well that's three options really, Crystal Star, Planet of Twilight, or Children of the Jedi.

>something really awful
>Bantam era. Its a slog with a few interesting concepts buried in the ponderous writing.
For a second there, I thought you were going to roast Chad Windu and Aftermath.

It IS one of those three and I'm currently reading another one of them.

I have a creeping suspicion that reading Aftermath is going to be like a book-length version of the fucking terrible Dannik Jerriko short stories.

What up /swg/, anybody got that chart on how to spend advantage and threat? It was along the lines of "one advantage, get a critical, two threat shoot yourself in the foot" and whatnot.

Are the interesting bits compelling scenery, heartwarming child bits, or a Swole Hutt Dark Jedi?

I wouldn't know, I binned that shit and did everything I could to forget anything that happened in it. Many of the fanfic writers in QA's pain train could string together better, more readable prose than Chip Wimple.

Han Solo spends most of the book half-drunk and trying to enjoy a goddamn vacation.

Any other spoilers and it would be too easy to guess.

>Swole Hutt Dark Jedi

That sounds like it could be one of the dumbest things ever written, or one of the most amazing.

Maybe both.

The art of it was good, the story itself is weird, where he stays swole by abusing bug drugs.

b

So this is a lore question.

Wookiepedia says "While X-wing starfighters remained in public use, they eventually became solely affiliated with the Rebellion"

I haven't read Lost Stars which is the source cited for that bit so what exactly does it mean by this?

Did the INCOM corporation eventually stop their civilian manufacturing and supply solely to the Rebellion? Did the Empire force INCOM to stop building them and Rebellion had to build their own? Something else? I'm genuinely curious.

>Re-reply from the previous thread:

Hey all, in the spirit of Neuromaniac, I've managed to scan a copy of my freshly delivered copy of the Force Awakens Beginner Game. Since I relied on certain parties to get me here, especially Neuromaniac, I figured giving back to the community would be in the spirit of things!

The scans are of medium quality, and minimal distortion; as best as I could do with what I had available; but it's here. The whole thing, even character tokens. Enjoy!

And if whoever is running the current Biff Tannen folder would like to upload it into his archive, go right ahead. This is for everyone!

And a reminder that if you DO have the ability to share with the community, please do so. We only survive if we work together.

mediafire.com/?oi0uo4og79sw830

Hope you guys enjoy this, it's a weird copy in terms of FFG, since there's no expanded character sheets or core rulebook; but I think the rulebook gives more info about what we SHOULD have had presented in the movie.

Why does Star Wars attract so many edgelords? I'm trying to start up a campaign right now and every goddamn backstory I've had submitted is some angsty, over the top daytime soap opera shit. It's like they're trying to one-up each other's tragedy, here. Really don't want to chauffeur four drama queens around the galaxy.

>that pic

And that's why you check your convergence distance before every flight.

I was just thinking about this user, thank you!

Well, that was mostly due to the fact that Incom was sympathetic to the Rebellion; and the designers of the X-Wing defected to them, complete with the original plans AND erasing all backups in the corporation.

Think of Incom as the antithesis to Senar Fleet Systems. Senar always wanted to serve the Empire, while Incom always wanted to serve the Rebellion. What better way to do that by saying their chief engineers sabotaged everything and went over to the rebels?

With the blueprints in the Rebellion's hands, they had exclusive rights to be able to send copies to companies that would produce parts for Incom/the company itself without having the Empire poking it's nose into it.

While yes, the Z-95 was made by Incom; the X-Wing had it's exclusivity due to the fact that no one had the blueprints to manufacture them.

It's really no issue. I spend a lot of time searching for FFG PDF's online. In fact, I owe my love of FFG's Star Wars system BECAUSE I could pirate all the material I could. It's because I love the system and the community I spent about 3 hours booked in a print shop scanning all the materials I had.

I only wish I knew Neuromaniacs way that he was able to scan such lossless copies.

Everyone wants to be Han Solo.

Neuromaniacs ways have been lost like Jedi knowledge you now must seek the holocron.

Everyone wants to be Gerard Way if this fucking campaign is anything to go by.

Worth reading after I read Hand of Thrawn?

Which should I read first, of the two in the pic?
No spoilers pl0x.

Is there a temptation to the dark side? Or is the fact that PDFs like these exist already down the dark path?

Outbound Flight. It's basically Thrawn's origin story.

warez-bb.org/viewtopic.php?t=19380228&highlight=

Here, give this a try. A compilation of Star Wars Audiobooks; as an alternative.

Thank you, but my attention wanders with audiobooks.

Stamp down on it, then; especially on the people who took extra Obligation.

Thank you! Will this continue with Savage Spirits, Forged in Battle and Endless Vigil? Don't mean to harass or anything.

I'm considering just hitting the ol' redo button and finding new players. The campaign I have written up was more in the spirit of the 70s kitsch of the original film.

As of right now, I don't plan on it. Unfortunately, each book is beyond my limits for purchase; Germany has a problem with it's distributors.

Right now, I'm just hoping to complete my collection of all the Beginner Games; I need more dice :)

Addendum: I can get stuff in Germany; but in German. If I want English, I have to import from the UK or USA; and have to pay import tax on it; which ends up being a bit. :(

Fair enough appreciate your contribution!

Don't remember Survivors Quest, but Outbound flight isn't too bad a book. I kind of liked it because it deals a bit with the whole "left side of the map" out in the wild bits of space no one bothers with.

>Is there a temptation to the dark side?
The dark side has better marketing people. Not to mention their benefits package is deece.

Outbound flight, wait a few years, and THEN Survivor's quest. Or survivor's quest first.

Effectively they each spoil each other somewhat, on second thought just start with outbound flight.

Right-o. Thanks.

I was thinki g oc that Alan Moore Darth Dader comic from way back witb the chessboard and the assassin that killed people witb their own guilt.

I am pretty sure the ending where he confronts and his power has no effect Vader was originally intended to show vader as a conscienceless monster. But post prequels it coincidentally has an equally valid interpretation that he's CONSTANTLY in a state of guilt that would usually drive a being to suicide.

It was a funny little dual interpretation there.

>Alan Moore Darth Dader comic
How did I not know about this.

What's your favorite droid from starwars (based on looks, power, whatever)? I don't know much about starwars, but this dude looks neat.

>Tales of the Bounty Hunters

What about the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy?

The ship has no officers and no crew beyond the most immediate and bare bones demands of the equipment.

You have six months of consumables but only one shift of crew. In other words the real endurance of the ship is determined by the crew's ability to resist falling asleep at their posts.

The Thrawn Trilogy becomes a lot more tragic if you weld it with nucanon. I was really broken up by the birth of Jacen(Ben) Solo when I read it after watching TFA for the first time.

See that's the thing, if the Rebels maintain exclusivity with the X-Wing designs, and the guy who holds them is an open rebel, than how the fuck does anyone get away with making X-Wings? There's literally no other conclusion other than "you're colluding with a known rebel agent to build those fighters."

Admiral user reporting in for Imperial Fleet.

Commander: Admiral Screed

Assault Objective: Precision Strike
Defense Objective: Fire Lanes
Navigation Objective: Dangerous Territory

[ flagship ] Victory II-Class Star Destroyer (85 points)
- Admiral Screed ( 26 points)
- XX-9 Turbolasers ( 5 points)
- Overload Pulse ( 8 points)
= 124 total ship cost

Gladiator I-Class Star Destroyer (56 points)
- Assault Proton Torpedoes ( 5 points)
= 61 total ship cost

= 61 total ship cost

Raider-I Class Corvette (44 points)
- Agent Kallus ( 3 points)
- Expanded Hangar Bay ( 5 points)
= 57 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
- Bomber Command Center ( 8 points)
= 36 total ship cost

1 TIE Advanced Squadron ( 12 points)
1 TIE Bomber Squadron ( 9 points)
1 Major Rhymer ( 16 points)
2 TIE Interceptor Squadrons ( 22 points)

Why OP and XX9s on one ship? You can't trigger 2 different crit effects without Fire Control Teams.

Also, consider dropping the expanded hanger from the raider for the Impetuous title - that extra attack + Kallus can lay down the pain on aces.

R5 astromechs and B1 battle droids

R5s just look so cool and rustic, B1s are CUTE

Because the non-internet portion of this fandom is a bunch of autists sharing photos of their merch and boring people focused on family values.

Thanks friendo, I didn't think about that.

Revised Hammer of Wrath fleet:
Faction: Galactic Empire

Commander: Admiral Screed

Assault Objective: Precision Strike
Defense Objective: Fire Lanes
Navigation Objective: Dangerous Territory

[ flagship ] Victory II-Class Star Destroyer (85 points)
- Admiral Screed ( 26 points)
- X17 Turbolasers ( 6 points)
- Overload Pulse ( 8 points)
= 125 total ship cost

= 61 total ship cost

= 61 total ship cost

Raider-I Class Corvette (44 points)
- Impetuous ( 4 points)
- Agent Kallus ( 3 points)
= 56 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
- Bomber Command Center ( 8 points)
= 36 total ship cost

1 TIE Advanced Squadron ( 12 points)
1 Major Rhymer ( 16 points)
1 TIE Bomber Squadron ( 9 points)
2 TIE Interceptor Squadrons ( 22 points)

Žižek called and said it was both.

Vader feels personally responsible for everything. The same trait that makes him damaged is what drives him forward and enables him to be an effective leader. Only it's all fake, in a way.

Well, ripped from the horses mouth (starwars.wikia.com/wiki/T-65_X-wing_starfighter), they used shipyard on the Outer-Rim. Since the Empire didn't have any schematics for it, it couldn't produce their own; so yeah, they totally would siege a shipyard making X-Wings going "You're colluding with a known Rebel agent to build those fighters."

I think it was more important to build in short bursts and in secret. Hence why the alliance had, pound for pound, the best pilots; relying on scarcity and guerrilla tactics ended with them flying a lot more skillfully than the Imperial Tie drones, who's battle tactics consisted of generalized swarm maneuvers.

It's also why Z-95's were employed for actions that were sensitive to rebellion discovery; since most of the Z-95 and X-Wing parts were interchangable, it allowed the rebels to fly ships cheaper, and allowed them to hide their activities if needed.

Ayy where can i read your other reviews?

This sounds like a book I want to read!

I can just picture Han Solo in a Hawaiian shirt and a fruity umbrella drink with a huge scowl on his face as the chaos is going on around him.

I read it one or two years ago and I don't remember the plot at all. And I'm a huge Boba Fett fanboy, so that's not a good sign.

Boba was a little too quick to pull double-crosses even without justification and it solidified the "Getting shot by Fett in the Dark Empire comic turned 4-LOM into an asshole after he'd joined the rebels" plot point in Legends canon so I didn't like that part.

So that's Crystal Star.

Best Rebels ost
youtube.com/watch?v=kFWMhzZtj38

Thrawn's Web is great too.

Yep, but for me it's sounds much better, hope they will make Thrawn multi-season antagonist and give him few great victories.
Meanwhile what to do you guys think about RuneWars (looks like the thread about RW was assaulted by GW) how do you think simmilar to x-wing system will work in such format?

I don't see what such a game gains from the X-wing system. It worked really well to represent the quick-paced chaos of a dogfights, seems less of a great idea for slow-moving ground troops. I would however REALLY like a Mad Max-esque car-wars game utilizing the system.

I really like astromechs, from the classic R2 to (suprisingly) the new BB-models.

If you ask me, there's something tragically adorable about the S19. Its design is so bad, most people just rip out its components and turn it into something else.

Is anyone at X-wing World's?

I love it, it's so hideous. It's a poor man's R2-D2.

It's prone to falling over, too. Some people replace the wheel with a repulsorlift, but teaching it to use it means overwriting all of its astrogation programming.

that's hilariously incompetent

All the best droids are.

No bully

What about replacing the wheel with a rubber-coated treadtrack, like in the MK models? (starwars.wikia.com/wiki/MK-series_maintenance_droid)

He is just adorable, though! And after reading the customization options, I think I'd make him a portable shield generator/coffee maker.

Sure. If you can just rip out the undercarriage and replace it with a hover engine, simply altering the wheel mount shouldn't be a big deal-especially if you're prying out the astrogation buffer anyway. Funny how some people consider it far more useful as laser sponge than an astromech.

One of my players wants to become a mandalorian (not native) force user. How can i convince him, that it's a bad idea?

hype up something else

>relying on scarcity and guerrilla tactics ended with them flying a lot more

I think this is more important than anything.
Imperials as individual pilots dont engage in as many combat missions comparatively and the greatest component of skill is time.

However, I'd argue that the rebels have more aces than Imps but Imps probably have better aces than rebs.

Oh yeah. I don't disagree with that.

Take the Tie Interceptor pilots. The only qualification to make it as a pilot there is to 'survive' 20 sorties. It's said that because of that usually the kind of people are creative, maniacal, or just plain lucky (the force) get in; and most regular tie pilots don't really gel well with interceptor pilots.

It's why Tie Interceptors are so scary to encounter. You've got a skilled pilot, who has a death wish, wielding a scalpel at blinding fast speeds. Alliance programs had similar with the A-Wing as well, but you can't really compete with interceptor pilots. An A-Wing is more forgiving, and has shields. Apparently, the Interceptor liked to spin out due to it's maneuverability and speed; and it took a heavy hand on the controls to fly it straight.

And don't get me started on the Tie Defender. The best Interceptor pilots were hand chosen to fly those; but those never saw the action they wanted due to the price.

I'm not. But apparently Paul Heaver (several time world champion) is there. His list this year is Scum. Asajj with PtL, Engine upgrade, and Latts; with 2 TLT Y-Wings.

youtube.com/watch?v=1Culs9XVzik

Timm Zahn interview.

Huh, seems Blizzard is going all in on stealing star wars EU writers, first Stackpole, now Zahn himself.

And they semi-traded Golden over. (Where she;'s still stuck filling in details of other people's work ala Dark Disciple being comparable to her "Interlude" books for Warcraft where Blizzard's key points HAVE to be strung together somehow.)

I mean, they can work for multiple companies user.