Devotion Paladins vs Vengeance Paladins

How would you characterize Devotion Paladins vs Vengeance Paladins? What's the fundamental difference that separates them?

Personally, I would say that Devotion Paladins are defined by who they are, why Vengeance Paladins are defined by what they do. What I mean is that for a Devotion Paladin, what really matters to them is acting in the honorable and righteous way, even if that means they can't save everyone. Vengeance Paladins, on the other hand, don't feel that honor should be afforded to criminals, and care about the end results, rather than the means. This doesn't mean they would ever hurt an innocent person, however, nor does it mean they don't have their own code.

>How would you characterize Devotion Paladins vs Vengeance Paladins? What's the fundamental difference that separates them?

Superman v Batman

Batman's not really a good example, he never kills even when it would save countless lives (how many times has the Joker escaped Batman?). He's as goody two shoes as they come, wearing a bat costume doesn't make you a vengeance paladin.

Superman and Punisher?

more like Cap America and Punisher

In practice, the players who play vengeance paladins usually do so because they're afraid of being restricted by a code of conduct and they're under the impression that vengeance paladins can just do whatever they want, whenever they want. Devotion paladins are only played by the hardcore experienced roleplayers who understand that playing a fundamentally decent person isn't that scary at all.

But Batman acts based on feelings rather than ethics. If he were interested in making Gotham a better place and actually reducing crime, he could do that as Bruce Wayne by fighting poverty. But no, he wants to personally punch criminals because they make him feel bad. It doesn't matter that Batman is provably counterproductive and creates all his own villains. What matters to Batman is how Batman feels.

Ehh someone with logic, I'm scared.

> If he were interested in making Gotham a better place and actually reducing crime, he could do that as Bruce Wayne by fighting poverty. But no, he wants to personally punch criminals because they make him feel bad.

who left a child with that person

>because they're afraid of being restricted by a code of conduct

alternatively, they've been burned by shit DMs who get their lols by making the paladin fall at every opportunity because they did(not) kill orc babies or did(not) oppose the king

Not the user you're replying to but regardless it is true. Batman is the Tony Stark of DC and he could leverage his vast wealth into many programs and organizations to do good and influence the government in positive ways (actually the movie does have him utitlize many organizations he's made so props for that).

But deep down when you get past all the hype and wanking about batman being a paragon of virtue and being CREEEDDDD! He's as much of a psychopath as any of the other freaks from Gothem and is simply empowered by his own sense of self rightetousness.

I mean honestly, what better warden to keep the other freaks in line then another freak?

New Testament vs Old Testament

Thats a suprisingly good comparison

Bruce Wayne does fight poverty though. The bat thing is a side gig.

To be honest, this is why I think Batman goes so well with film noir themes.
It doesn't make sense for him to beat up random criminals when he could be tackling crime on a larger scale, but it does make sense for him to do it in order to uncover information on whatever new supervillain/conspiracy/mob boss is threatening Gotham and use hs detective skills to stop them.

Vengeance Paladins aren't Paladins

>Not launching into session long debates with the GM about the intrinsic meaning of the words "good" and "justice" and the competing concepts therein.

>Not launching into session long debates with the GM about the intrinsic meaning of the words "good" and "justice" and the competing concepts therein.
Only pseudo-intellectuals are interested in doing this.

>Only pseudointellectuals believe in/study ethics

I actually agree with you.

You see this post, Veeky Forums? You see this fucking post right here? This is where the thread should have ended. The fucking PHB defines what a difference between a devotion paladin and a vengeance paladin is. There was no need for further discussion on the topic.

Fucking /thread