EDH/Commander General

Maximum TACTICS edition

Old: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/atraxa-voltron-random-counter-stuff/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-wish-i-could-dream-again/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-queens-court-3/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Anyone here have/play a Bobo Enraged deck? I'd like some insights as to how it runs for you. I want to make one, but as a person who usually plays voltron and combo generals (Kemba and Kraj), it feels weird to have a commander that instantly signals DEFCON 5.

If I use this with an atraxa deck can I jst keep my opponents stuff tapped down forever?

Only if you skip upkeeps with Eon Hub. Otherwise no.

No. They remove all hourglass counters, so it doesn't matter how many there are on each thing.

>remove all hourglass counters
>all

>it feels weird to have a commander that instantly signals DEFCON 5.
DEFCON 5 is the lowest alert level

But I know what you mean. And it's also fucking radical. I don't run Bobo, but you feel like a supervillain when you have a deck that can just annihilate on command

Build Gruul Wort. It is fucking phenomenally fun.

what partners are you going to mix and match?

Why the fuck do people keep mentioning Scrambleverse as annoying to resolve and not Thieves' Auction? Auction involves player choices which will always be slow. SV you just roll a dice, and that's only for NONLAND permanents.

Scrambleverse is fine and a legitimate play for Zedruu players.

I once used thieves auction right as everyone was about to combo off.

We all scrambled to try and get a winning board state.

Speaking of thieves auction, it's hidden tech in angry omnath

I run Borborygmos as mostly combo, light voltron.
It's amazing fun but pretty bad. He's an 8 mana removal magnet and just goes up from there. Plus everyone can see what you are doing.

You kinda need certain pieces out to really throw lands at everyone which is a dead giveaway as to when you are gonna throw nonstop.

If your players are pretty casual I would run this. If they are cutthroat/serious just shelf the idea. I only get wins in if people don't pay attention to me. Otherwise I get roflstomped. On the rare occasion I might finish someone off with Seismic Assault.

Sidar Kondo + Silas Renn -- Unblockable double striking ninjas, plus "ninjas" like Cold-Eyed Selkie, Augury Adept, Trygon Predator etc.

Tana + Tymna -- Weenie overrun with card draw synergy in the commander slot

Thrasios + whoever -- I want to just run Thrasios Training Grounds.dec. No particular synergy from the other partners except Kydele, might run her or just someone for the additional colours.

I fucking love this card in Azusa.

>tfw when you have this, Gaea's Touch, Oracle of Mul Daya, Exploration, and Azusa out

Worth a slot in Sidisi self mill/reanimation?

I remember cutting it from Rubinia Populate. Too slow.

I wanna Ishai but I cant decide between vial smasher or kraum. vial smasher widens my color pool and adds burn to a 99 counterspell deck.

Reyhan is the obvious partner with Ishai but if you're not running other creatures, Bruse Tarl would be good for finishing your plate with Ishai. Vial Smasher is fine in an instant-speed deck with lots of off-turn plays.

To be fair though, Bruse can partner with anyone.

>chaos warp a guys commander in multiplayer and discorer the beautiful card Lifeline and saccing my goblin matron and mogg war marshal before every end step for free tutors and tokens every end step.

Good lord why have I not seen lifeline abused a lot more?

I'm building my first EDH deck and I'm using Queen Marchesa as my commander. It's nothing special, mostly using a lot of enchantments to barricade myself while I troll my opponents with voting cards and cards that play my opponents against each other. I'm just wondering what some good RBW options I have for fetching lands? I normally play GW which makes grabbing lands a breeze but I'm finding it hard to find some stuff to work into the deck.

I abused it in my Angus McKenzie deck

>Spore Frog
>Kami of False Hope
>Asceticism
>Enemy has Lifeline and is running aggro
>Laugh

>>Chaos Warp
Do people not know they can return their commander if it gets Tucked?

Pretty new to commander, has Sigarda, Heron's Grace ever seen any results? love g/w humans in every other format

It returned to the commander zone yes but a card from the top still comes in off chaos warp. This happened on MTGO so take that as you will.

There is not a lot, you're going to have to rely on mana rocks for the most part for ramp. Specifically for land, you have Burnished Hart, Solemn Simulacrum, and Knight of the White Orchid as the big ones. Weathered Wayfarer can also help fetch stuff including utility lands, and Land Tax to make sure you make your land drops.

because people are scared of their opponents abusing it

The functional errata makes it work for the whole board. Seems confusing that they would do that.

I want a good ol fashioned big fuckin hydras deck who would be the best Commander for that? Rosheen? Animar? Ulasht?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/atraxa-voltron-random-counter-stuff/

what do you guys think of my Atraxa voltron/random counter bullshit deck?

Its not busted, but it's an amazing mid-tier deck. I absolutely love playing against it.

If you love g/w humans ,you'll love this deck.

Run this card

Maybe that was the original intent, but the wording was messed up/incorrect? I wasn't playing during Urza's so I've no idea how it was 'supposed' to work or worked at the time before the errata.

It's a good deck. It's not going to be backbreakingly powerful, but you can come out of the gate quickly and steal games because people will underestimate you and your commander.

Champion of Lambholt is going to be a very good friend of yours.

Ulasht & Polukanos are good for tribal flavour, otherwise Rosheen is a 4 mana generator for hydras

I think I'll do Ulasht then and put Rosheen in the 99, thanks yo.

i have planned it out for my black recur

it is pretty nice since you can typically get lethal about as soon as it comes out, just from saccing gary or kokusho

>but others get their guys back too

literally who cares, they won't have sac outlets and you will fuck them up faster using your free tutors, lifegain and other stuff you get from your endless etbs/ltbs

Hey guys!
So I was trying out pic related as my commander on xmage recently and am really enjoying it!
The low threat level it provides by being beneficial too everyone lets me get away with alot. :D
And who doesn't like free cards and almost guaranteed land drops?!

Anyway, any of ye guys have recommendations for this bad boy? Want to keep it less group hug and more shenanigans

Library of Leng is a lot of fun when combined with Windfall effects

Atraxa + Decree of Silence sounds fun. I had success using in Hanna, though Atraxa can't return it from the GY

Decree dies when it gets too many counters, so proliferate seems pretty bad unless I'm missing something.

Oh right. Derp. I thought it started with 3. Never mind lol

Just got done playing a game on xmage with my Intet deck I posted yesterday and realized it plays like fair Narset but with access to cascade. This deck is so much fun and Rashmi is actually a powerhouse. Link for anyone who wants to see the list (I'm taking out see the unwritten soon btw) tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-wish-i-could-dream-again/

For shits and giggles, i want to create a jojo themed EDH deck for casual funsies. Not sure where to start but here are some commanders that i have in mind:

>Iroas, God of Victory
Gives creatures menace with a straightforward strategy of just beating people with creatures.

>Geist of Saint Traft
Pretty much the most flavorful one seeing as it's a creature who summons a stand.

>Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
Bolster all day.

Experiment Kraj is the closest you'll get to ultimate Kars

Where's your Stangg faggot?

There was no functional errata, it was always intended to be symmetrical, the intended reading of the original wording was for each creature that died, its owner would read this card and see that the creature is supposed to return from "my graveyard"

Does anyone have experience playing as\against Karametra? I want to ramp up my game.

Yes, what questions do you have?

Karametra is pretty solid as a ramp commander, GW is a good combination for versatile and cheap removal and also good ways for dealing with board wipes, which are the natural enemy of a creature ramp deck, you have good recursion stuff in both colors, but you also have white's ghostway/eerie interlude and such

>Just preordered the whole set for $135

Why did I spend this money...

To support wizards?

How do you win with that deck?

How different do the games feel? I played Rhys for the longest time so I have the colours but every game felt the same. Just make tokens-tap Rhys- overwhelm.

You gotta really ramp outta control to get him out asap. Once hes out just slap on a keen senses and play some damage doublers and you'll be fine

Explain what you mean by "the same"

I mean every magic is the same in some sense, if your deck does a thing then you want it to do that thing every game and the only times it doesn't happen is when your opponents shut you down or you get mana screwed occasionally

Not really sure myself to be honest. I guess I just want multiple win-conditions and ways to affect the board. Need to think this through, thanks for the help.

If I want to play as many spells as possible all the time, which commander has good synergies with that strategy ? Mizzix ?

I'm having trouble deciding what commander I want to build next. I'd like another irl deck to build, as I only have the Meren I started with. I've built several decks online, but I never had the urge to build them irl except for Daxos of Meletis, who I ended up not building anyway. I'm trying to stay a little budget (college is expensive yo). I was also thinking about doing monocolor, but I have no idea what way to go. Basically, I'd like to hear what you all like and see what appeals to me.

Considering:
Angry Omnath - landfall + elemental tribal
Zada - combat tricks and pump
Daxos Returned - echantments
Alesha - hatebears
Hanna - maybe stax
Living Sidisi - grave shit
Mike - combo
Newzuri - evolve/counters
Kruphix - fun stuff/Helix Pinnacle

Mizzix for efficiency and reliability, Melek for 50/50 of flashy wins pulled out of your ass and getting bullied out of the game before you cast your commander.

If you can protect her, Mizix gets out of control stupid fast.

Then you mizix mastery/Past in Flames for game.

Phenax - Milling
Just watch the butthurt roll in

I don't see that working very well in multiplayer. And one guy in my group plays Daretti with heavy artifact recursion.

Daxos Returned is really boring. You just put vanilla creatures on the battlefield and they get blocked by tokens or mass removed. I personally dislike enchantment decks, because having many different effects that can be triggered on the battlefield can get tedious and confusing in multiplayer games.

Sidisi is fun, I play the non-tribal version. Your graveyard gets huge though and you have to constantly sort it and count the cards in it for various effects.

Just built my first commander deck. Ishkanah, Grafwidow in a dilerium flavor rather than tribal spiders. Are there any must have cards for either styles? Another way to play her that'll be fun?
Playgroup only gets mildly salty over cheese if she's any good.

Sidisi looks fun, but I don't have many ideas beyond grave stuff, which I adjust have in Meren. Do you have a list I can see for ideas?

>Ulamog/Kozilek gets milled

Either you play Oona or you have instant speed grave hate/stifle/trickbind before you start milling. Non exile mill is shit mostly because everyone is packing one of these two fuckers.

What are your delirium payoffs? I can really only think of Traverse, Emrakul, and Ishkanah herself, none of which are fantastic. I wouldn't bother with spiders beyond Arachnogenesis and Spider Spawning.

With delirium, she goes infinite with Nim Deathmantle and Ashnod's Altar, but what doesn't.

Personally, I'd probably build her like a Mazirek/Savra tokens and sacrifice value deck, making sure I included all the gross-looking insects like Gleancrawler and Caustic Wasps.

Any good Phenax deck should have instant speed graveyard hate due to the amount of recursion in EDH.
Also things like Bribery and Praetor's Grasp can somewhat work as a way to remove Eldrazi titans.
Also Leyline of the Void isn't a bad inclusion.

No list, sorry. There isn't really anything beyond grave stuff, that's all the commander does. You could add Zombie tribal though. I had a Meren deck too, but I found her boring, so I took the deck apart and put her in my Sidisi deck.

I have Emmy with a bunch of grave retrieval, zombie stuff to go with and emerge. Threw it together with a bunch of draft winnings, but I wouldn't mind looking at those and dropping some money for her

my autism makes off set decks difficult to build

Any spicy Lazaav tech? I don't need more steal shit effects, maybe mana fixing options to get him out quickly? I'm running a nonwincon mill and discard setup with most of my removal being bounce. The goal is to see my opponents hand, fuck up their curve, then drop Lazaav and cherry pick a target for him.

I figured. I'm getting a little bored of Meren myself, so I might take apart for Sidisi or I'll finish upgrading her and move on to something gimmicky like Zada.

ODRIIIIIIIIIIIC, OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODRIIIIIIIIIIIC, COME HERE BOY

Angry Omnath is super fun, especially as a landfall + elemental tribal. There's lots of good land effects that you can stick in there and most elementals have some sort of funky/jank portion to them so each game is different.
Storm Cauldron is a personal favorite, even though around my area it always eats removal early on.

How do you win with a group hug deck?

Limiting yourself to both Innistrad blocks is probably doable, though you are losing out on a lot of great BG cards. Using only Shadows and Eldritch Moon would be rough.

You could still do a sacrifice deck, but your payoffs would be Blood Artist and cards with Morbid, like Skirsdag High Priest. Upside, almost all the best zombies are from Innistrad.

I know it's Conspiracy, but if you can stretch to accommodate pic related, it's pretty great value. Good luck, user.

Combo would be preferable, but mill by drawing is the most common I've seen, and it's terrible.

You could use Hive Mind and lock down the table with Enduring Ideal, or try and kill them with pacts. Dovescape and a bunch of stax, things like that.

Group hug tends to get you targeted, especially if you're running all the chaos cards. It's only fun once in a while, and if everyone knows what you're up to, you'll just get knocked out first. Or they'll kick a sadistic sacrament and strip all your wincons.

Don't play group hug.

Lol delete this
Does anyone have a good list for Alesha control?
All i ever see anyone do is just spam tokens and thats what i do with my Teysa deck

Thanks for a good run down, highly appreciated!

I assume you know she it's illegal, right?

So, which of the following decks should I build as my casual/less cruel deck? I've got Ertai the Corrupted if I want to be a dick, but what's a good, different option?
>Gisa and Geralf zombie tribal
>Ruric Thar stompy
>Surrak Dragonclaw stompy-with-blue
>Tana the Bloodsower/Sidar Kondo tokens
>Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh BURN EVERYTHING
Any interesting ideas I didn't list?

So I am just getting into magic and I wanted to ask where people would recommend buying cheap singles from? I used to use trollandtoad back in the day for other stuff but are there any other sites nowadays considered better, especially those with UK shipping.

I play Sidisi dredge. She's combo aggro for me.

Use creatures with etb effects.
Tana/sidar and chandra look like the most casual

Now that I'd like to see.

this is me again. I finished putting the deck together last night and I'm looking for some feedback. I was mostly going for a deck where I can maintain the Monarchy, keep myself defended, and make my opponents decide how they get effected by my cards through Council cards, Mogis and Athreos

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-queens-court-3/

Bant Enchantress.

Ishai+Thrasios or Derevi.

Looking to Auratron while making big mana on the side. Both options fit the bill.

Who should I pursue?

Auratron on a non-hexproof critter is kinda risky. Also Derevi is gonna get you targeted all the time, I think Ishai+Thrasios is the best option. Gives space for shenanigans.

Just extra turn beat downs with Intet and sometimes one or two other creatures mostly

Magiccardmarket.eu is king in Europe today.

The best bant enchantress commander for aura voltron is rafiq

Enchantress with a different theme than aura voltron is more flexible though and you can use whatever commander

Friends just started wanting to play commander. I play with a few people who are new and just netdeck everything. I'm not into blowing $200 on a deck. I drew a Rashmi in a casual draft and have maybe half the UG cards to make her deck. Is she competitive without dropping a bunch of cash on Force of Will, Ancestral Vision, Sensei's Divining Top or expensive flash cards like Vendilion Clique? Do I need Leyline of Anticipation and Momir to even run her smoothly?

Any advice is appreciated. If I had to spend between $10 and 30 on one card for the deck which is the best?

I liked the idea of Derevi for her BS uncounterable instant speed etb.

I initially wanted Bird+Fish because they both serve as a plan. Can I suit up Ishai with hexproof and various buffs? Do I have Miraris Wake/Mana Reflection/Zendikar Resurgant? They both can be utilized depending on the situation.

I tried Rafiq Auratron but the problem is that he just works infinitely better with Equipment. That and he has no built in evasion so you're relying more heavily on Trample/Flying Auras. Yes you can get there sonetimea but he is far more glass cannon and unnecessary.

Between those options, certainly Bird & Fish. Derevi doesn't really further the enchantress goal and will just get you targeted. And I suppose Thrasios directly benefits from the big mana.

Rafiq and Jenara more specifically benefit from aura voltron. The latter also provides a mana sink if you're going big.

Force of Will is a great card, and should be run if you have it, but the pricetag is steep because of the need for turn 1 counters in Legacy. Once an edh game gets passed the first few turns, the 0 mana alternate cost isn't always relevant. Especially in green where you get access to a lot of ramp so it's not difficult to leave mana open for counterspells.

have you looked at edhrec for Rashmi?
As for Leyline, Vedalken Orrey does the same thing but without the "before the game" clause, and costs half as much as leyline.

good cheap cards are Dig Through Time and Treasure Cruise. Easy to cast with delve, and massive CMC.

Use things to view the top card of your library, like future fight and Oracle of Mul Daya.

Luckily for you, UG is the most consistent color combo in EDH. The only thing you lack are efficient kill spells. You can build her pretty liberally and it will still probably come out decently. Competitive? Depends on how much you're wrong to drop on big stuff. Fun and lots of options? You bet your sweet bippy.

>I assume you know she it's illegal, right?
>she it's

huh

>illegal

how?

Idk what that guy has been told but storm cauldron and Azusa are both legal in edh and even French edh as well