Sup, Veeky Forums? I've had this idea for an RPG kicking around in my head for a while...

Sup, Veeky Forums? I've had this idea for an RPG kicking around in my head for a while, and I'm starting to put all the ideas on paper. I was wondering if anybody had any other gamers had experience in publishing such stuff through Kickstarter. This would be my first time trying to monetize anything, so I'm approaching the issue really carefully. I will be doing the majority of the writing myself, and would really just be raising money for art, printing, and distribution.

Can't get too into details on what it's about, as it can still change between now and when I start the funding campaign, and it still needs a ton of testing done.

>(((kickstarter)))

Um. Yes. Kickstarter. Is that problematic or something?

For a game kickstarter to have any reasonable success, you need an established community first that advertises and generates interest for you. If you are a nobody, nobody will care.

Also, if you have the idea and nothing else right now, let me tell you that you are at least two years away from having anything publishable.

Yeah, definitely need the hype machine running on all cylinders. Maybe throwing in an ad budget as well would be a good idea.

Don't take everybody's money and then run way over every deadline and then complain when everyone hates you. Mark Rein-Hagen is a great talent and a big name and he still got a lot of upset fans over that.

Not even remotely in the plans. I intend to have actionable quotes lined up for literally everything, wrapped up in one nice package with a big red button to press. If there are delays, they will be entirely unforseen.

>If there are delays, they will be entirely unforseen.

If you think this is a point worth making, you are no where near ready to attempt something like this

Don't come around asking about publishing until you're at least at the playtesting phase. Every asshole has an idea for a game. How many actually get something playable? How many of them get it to a point it can be monetized? You should be in the game design thread, not here.

I'm in the same boat bro, been working on my game for over a year, and I have at least another year to go before I even consider getting a Kickstarter.

> Can't get too into details on what it's about
A word of advice user, I've been posting The 12 Towers threads for a while now, and Veeky Forums has been insanely helpful in it's development. While it my seem scary to openly post about your beautiful absolutely perfect game, Veeky Forums will criticize the shit out of you so you can make it better.

Cont.

Above all, just have patience. I can't tell you how many times I thought about just throwing everything on KS and hoping for the best. In the end that would wreck everything I've worked on and ruin my future company name.

I had no idea at the beginning how long and how much work goes into making a game successful, right now I'm at the half way point, between a crappy half playable game, and a boxed game on the shelf.

Patience will save your ass many, many times.

No one is going to give you fucking money just to sit on your ass and play games. If you want something done, be ready to work hard to get it, for every day for the next two years or more. Be ready to spend weekends and free time holding meetings with your partners, and to invest your own money and real estate into starting a business.
Be ready to be set back by your family and by people who thought you were your friends. People react adversely when someone is trying to start a private business. In fact, they will have the same reaction as if you started doing drugs or running around the mall dressed as an anime character.
After a month of studying and gaining skills needed to create a game, one day you will suddenly figure out you don't know ANYTHING. From that point it will take you another six months to a year just to be a beginner.
By the time other people see you as a professional, you will probably lose most of your original friends, gain new ones from your business network, and completely separate from your family. You are also likely to move once or twice during that time.

Are you still sure you want to make a game?

>People react adversely when someone is trying to start a private business. In fact, they will have the same reaction as if you started doing drugs or running around the mall dressed as an anime character.

Imagine the reaction of my friends and family when I showed them my new business idea - to sell drugs in a mall, while dressed up as an anime character!

Been developing a game since 2010 that's currently in its third playtest campaign. Aside from moving several times, all of that is pretty much true.

Everyone in the thread is right, you CANNOT move to funding until you have something to show.
You need to have something that has been playtested, so people can see how it plays. Preferably you need something that already looks good, so people get excited about receiving it.

You can plan a funding campaign for a while beforehand, that would be a good idea.
Do some research into the more successful ones. How long did they run? How spaced out were the updates? Stretch goals?

You can get playtesting and proofreading done for you for free. HAVE THAT DONE FIRST.
What isn't free is art, publishing, and distribution. Perhaps fancy formatting.
If it's an RPG, you need to have all that free stuff done.

STRETCH GOALS:
You need to already have the idea for them. Don't write up something spur-of-the-moment and throw it into the campaign.
They should be things you were ALREADY going to do, funding them would just move up your timetable. Don't say that in the campaign though.
If it's an RPG, campaigns and adventures are generally what you'd put there. Maybe a hardcover/softcover version of your book, DM screen/notes/guide, or a pile of character sheets.
Models are hard, don't do those.

Solid advice, thanks! I hadn't even thought about stretch goals yet.

Ideally you'd write, playtest and complete the entire system before you even think about Kickstarting it. Essentially it should be done, and you should seek money for printing, art and an editor.
Preferably you should even get some art beforehand as well, for hype.
Don't add stretchgoals after it launches, and be really conservative with them.

Oh you,,, you should be the Veeky Forums mascot, with the knotted.

Put it this way at least you have a mock up and have play tested your game. That's more than 90% of the lads on /gdg/.

I just don't think 4channers enjoy spending money, but I can't wait to see an actual oversees production of your game.

You might just want to consider "the four towers or less" to cut costs and increase the chances of more than 2 people playing. 12 is a bit out there unless you are Mormon.

I'd fund it. Just make sure not to pinch scouts of questionable age.

>reddit spacing
>4channers

lurk more fag

Oh you.....

If you need a writefag drawfag combo, I'd be happy to toss my hat into the ring

what kind of game are you making?

>reddit spacing
AKA readability

Serious question

If anyone out there is in need of a Drawfriend and or Writefriend, with strengths in world building and character driven stories, then I am your man.

and yes, I'm cheap

how cheap?

well, talking to me doesn't cost you more than your time

My ambition is to work with someone on a project, gain some groundlevel experience and hopefully launch my own publications someday.

here's my contact info:

donnynewday (a) gmail.com

I wish you all possible luck in your venture!

However, saying that any delays will be unforseen doesn't in a any way mean that they won't happen. It only means that you aren't ready for them when they will happen.

You are not omniscient, so that leaves a fuck load of things unforseen.

>reddit spacing
What did you call problematic line breaks on Veeky Forums before Reddit existed?

OP, are you familiar with the successful Veeky Forums kickstarters of the past? There have been several that you should check out for ideas on how to structure your own. The advice in this thread has been pretty good, especially and

A space between every single line is not readability, it's retarded. If anything it worsens readability.

I called them horrible formatting. They are not problematic because that means literally nothing, but other than marking you as a flaring newfag, it's a horrible as fuck way to format your text. You break the reader's pacing every few seconds and for what Spacing once in a while is fine and definitely necessary if you don't want your readers to get lost in your humongous wall of text, but there's something as too much of it.

A tip, friendo, no one here is going to give you a call the way you worded your post. You are saying you're a drawfag/writefag, right? Then why aren't you posting an example of your art? If the only thing you can say is that you're cheap, you're not exactly making people want to hire you.

Also none wants a writefag unless you actually have quite a few publications already, everyone that wants to work on an RPG already has a setting in mind, making you redundant.

It's time for you to get off the Internet and go outside for a while.