/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Vehicles edition!

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/image/R-iCVNP6RIfDMyC8gA0AVw/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just a concept since it's Vehicles edition and people kept mentioning making the Batmobile a Vehicle the last time I posted it. If this does well, I might incorporate the ideas from it (I'd have to remove Crew of course) as a DFC or something.

So, is the idea that I can use this defensively too? Seems really cool if that's the case. Not entirely sure on the cost though.

You've already gotten feedback. Use it.

archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/image/R-iCVNP6RIfDMyC8gA0AVw/

I feel like batman (and therefore the batmobile) would only shoot attacking creatures. Defensive vigilante kind of thing.

>So, is the idea that I can use this defensively too? Seems really cool if that's the case. Not entirely sure on the cost though.

I don't really follow, it's obviously meant to make it as if attacking creatures were never blocked and assign combat damage normally

Played Commander with friends, we used card sleeves to represent the tokens. And my card sleeves have Shidare Hotaru on them, so... Sometimes joke goes too far.

Offensively: You attack, play this. Defending players now have no blocking creatures, all your creatures gain Trample so they're basically unblocked.

Defensively: You are the defending player, play this. Your blockers get removed from combat, but the attacking creatures don't get Trample, so any that don't already have Trample are still blocked and deal no damage, thus preventing the creatures from hitting you or your creatures.

Seems like a good idea.

The defensive part definitely wasn't part of the plan. Maybe add a "if it's your turn" clause to the ETB effect?

Interesting card, but his attacking ability is very strong and requires either a higher cost or smaller body.

Much better than before, though still rather boring.

Transform and DFC aren't evergreen, so I don't know why you're up in a tizzy over crew.

No changes from last time, just finalizing the design.

Get rid of Flash then.

>Transform and DFC
I don't really agree, but if so, I'm making exceptions for those two.

>Flash
Wait, I'm an idiot. Uh, then get rid of all blockers, and all attackers gain Trample, regardless of who controls the attackers.

The power of the Vehicle should be greater than the Crew cost. Like Mossbridge Troll, kinda.

Probably just a bad idea. There's a reason we don't have anything with 20/20 stats

At a wedding, bored out of my skull. Send help.

Eh, don't like this much.

OK, what is X?

Not liking how the Crew cost increases. Maybe if the P/T increased too.

A terrible mana rock meets Codex Shredder? No thanks.

Cool card, but it doesn't work as written.
One way to word it might be like this:

>X is twice the number of tapped creatures you control
>Longboat's power and toughness are X.
>Crew X
>(X/X in p/t)

Maybe you could take line 2 out if you have the x's in the power and toughness.

This card is the definition of win-more. Should be a common based on power level.

Hey, where's Wuxia user?

>Dim Mak
>1BR (?)
>Enchantment
>Whenever a permanent is dealt exactly 1 damage, its controller sacrifices it.

Meh. Sideboard material.

Do we really need hate against those tribes? As it is it's probably too small to kill most of the relevant ones anyways

You could just use Crew 1 and leave everything else. Creatures that have modular P/T actually avoid "X" and use "power and toughness are each equal to..."

This is one of those situations that they individualize the affected objects.
>Each permanent is a Forest in addition to its other types.

How does that work? What gets it and what doesn't?

Looking at Cryptolith Rite this could really be 2-3 mana unless you're scared of breaking it with some stupid broken synergy, the most broken ones I can find are quirion/scryb ranger and beacon of creation, neither are really that OP for the formats they'd be possible in.
Imo it should be 3 mana, 4 at most.

It also needs to make them lands.

I'm around, sort of.

Seems cool, though a bit odd that it works for everyone. Comes with being BR, I suppose. I like that it specifies 1 damage only. Dat fingertip strike. I had been thinking about martial art technique cards, and how I wanted to implement them. No concrete ideas yet, but I'm toying with a keyword called Technique.

Also, it's really kind of hard to find good art for these cards. I can't make some of my ideas because I have no suitable art, and I hate posting artless cards. I've checked the usual outlets and found some stuff, but most of it is model-chicks with silk ribbons everywhere making doe-eyes. Not what I need. Scrounging is half the fun though I guess.

There's a million L5R art pieces floating around, all of the right aspect ratio.

I'm picky about the fact that L5R art is mostly Japanese-flavored, not Chinese. That's nobody's fault but my own.

Sup, Laggy?

Make it a 5/5.
A 6/6 with flash for 7 is pretty good already. The evasion and mana-locking your opponent is too good.

I feel like as a legend this is kind of boring due to how it doesn't have any dynamic effect you could build around. Just as a rare though it's fine.

Some of the Monster Hunter monsters ended up being non-legendaries. Was part of a loose collection of MonHun cards I did.

No new changes, just trying to get enough feedback to see if I can finalize this design or trash it and make a new one.

Well, you could easily change it to work only for sources you control. As for martial arts techniques, you could make it a combat trick, a Aura, or a global enchantment. Granted, it can get hard to choose between those three.

>Technique
Tell me more.

>Art
I think you should post cards even if you don't have art for it (in fact it's probably better to just not use art than use art that doesn't fit).

On an, I guess, somewhat related note, what do you think of Into the Badlands?

Have an art source on this? I'm extremely curious.

Have some Partner-manders I made. I'm working more heavily on solidifying their design before I worry about mana costs, since I do want to also promote some level of inter-play between the pairs.

First pair is Esper focus-Black, with a theme on theft and "I win the most" politics. Flavorfully their abilities should probably be swapped around, but their colors make their abilities work mechanically the way they are, I think. WB is based on Sin Collector- I finally decided to mix that effect with Kambal instead of something like Conjurer's Ban. I think it's fine, but I'm not totally sure.
Suhl is super-lite Leovold effect, acting as weak deterrent to drawing a shitload of cards. Hoses red draw pretty hard (draw 2 discard 1 becomes draw 2 discard 3), but slams the gas on UBx graveyard decks. You kind of have to hope they can't handle the speed and crash into a wall.

The second pair is the one I like a lot more, even though they're probably the ones more likely to be disliked/unbalanced/bad.
The setting idea behind these guys is like a Big Mac. It's bad for you, it's probably not made nearly as well as you think it is, and it's cheap- but sometimes, you just want a fucking Big Mac. Imagine taking the usual elvish living conditions and giving it an IV of straight death metal. The forest is ripped apart by rifts and faults, volcanic activity, and sinkholes, creating an ever-shifting almost hellscape that, somehow, manages to still be a forest. Elves have lived here for centuries. Elves here are badass nomads, because they have to be.

It's probably not nearly as great, original, or fresh as I think it is, but it's something. (1/2)

Flavor-wise, Tylis is one of the many elves who simply adapt to the wildly violent lands they call home, even learning how to use them to their advantage when possible. They are the "active" side of the coin. Mechanics-wise, this carries over to a relatively high-cost, quickly-diminishing buff that ultimately feels very Gruul- buffing the hoarde. There's downside tacked on due to being a Partner-commander and having this level of power- in that even on the first activation, you absolutely must go all-in on a swing- but in general, you probably don't want to activate this more than once anyway. Even if you do, the return you get for dumping lands like this isn't very high- all you get is an extra +1/+0.

Venadi, meanwhile, has a different strategy- all elves work with the land in some way, but Venadi uses the more classically elven aspect of land as life-giving force... except that this force is very much tainted by countless scars and open wounds, and this shows in the methods used to "give life" via the land. Mechanically, Venadi naturally extends Tylis's usefulness, allowing you to burn off land cards stuck in your graveyard for creatures. I worry that her ability might be a bit overcosted- needing two mana on the board and one dead land for a 2/2 might be a bit on the small side, but Tylis enables her and she can theoretically dump lands off the topdeck too. The synergy isn't perfect, but there is a clear direction in where the build wants to go- covering weaknesses or going all in on land-burning is where the player is free to make their own choices.

When I look at potential edits on my own, the kinds of things that enter my head already are:
- I'm not sure if Suhl and Nea deserve such low CMCs, or if I was just trying to force that. Neither feel like creatures, per-se, more like enchantments.
- Nea could have a somewhat better or stronger ability plus a more relevant body for a higher CMC, such as 5 or 6, without breaking the partner aspect.
- Suhl could get some kind of keyword to make him less boring ability-wise, even if it's something like Skulk.
- Venadi's land-exile ability may be too weak for its cost. Creating a 3/3, a 4/4, two 2/2s, a more unique P/T like 3/1, or reducing the cost of the ability in some way may make it better.
- Venadi's ETB feels slightly weak- while perfectly functional with her second ability, her tokens feel weak for their cost, and I imagine giving her some sort of tribal or token buff in place of an ETB would go a long way to making her feel more right, balance wise. Making 3/3s that become 2/2s if she dies, for instance.
-Suhl might actually be a better partner for Venadi than Tylis actually is, because people tend to start discarding lands later into the game and Venadi's ability works on any graveyard. Minor stuff like this is intended, though.

>Sulh Rin, Mephistopheles' Captain
This is a replacement effect, so it's "If an opponent would..." My gut response was "Man, what a pushed hatebear" because of Chains of Mephistopheles, but I guess Leovald exists and is more or less Super Chains anyways. Probably fine, if a bit boring since Leovald exists.

Also, it hoses red draw but haha red draw in Commander. They're starved for card advantage as is, but are often set up to take advantage of the discard in various ways (i.e. Daretti), so it doesn't hurt sbado . Decks that thrive off of ludicrous card advantage like UG and monoU are more likely to be hosed by this.

>Nea
Mostly weaker Kambal, probably fine for being a partner.

My problem with these two is that they're Leovold-lite and Kambal-lite, which seems like a meh way of going at Partner commanders. "What if I could play X with Y!?" is a seemingly great idea, but making mini versions of existing commanders just dilutes what makes those commanders interesting and exciting.

>Tylis
You don't need to grant the ability, you can just force them to attack. "Creatures you control get +1/+0, trample until end of turn. Those creatures must attack this turn if able."

Seems really weak, though.

>Venadi
Targeting graveyards but not the card itself? Technically okay but leads to wacky interactions. Like you can target a graveyard with no lands in it and still get tokens, because the token isn't technically tied to the presence of a land card (or it being exiled). Would prefer
>2: Exile target land card from a graveyard. Create...

Suhl pretty much needs to have a low CMC or she's a failure as a hate piece. If she comes down too late, she gets removed instantly because people already have removal in hand, and she punishes searching for that removal.
Nea is weak and non-entity (40 life format, bro) besides stripping a card, so she's probably fine.
I agree that Sulh and Venadi pair better than Suhl and Nea, although Venadi and Tylis is interesting.

Considering that you trip up on some of the most basic wording in Magic, I doubt you should even dream about handling this sort of stuff right now.

Seems fun. Are you running Inspire or "when becomes tapped" mechanics in the set?

Mana costs always come first, then tap or untap costs, then other miscellaneous costs.

Thanks for the fix.

In the light of my recent spree of coin flip cards, making Krark (of the thumb) not a coin flipper seems like heresy. But the Mirrodin goblins are also big fans of eggs (and their eponymous ironworks), lets see how ya'll feel about artifact-persist. Technically Undying/Persist work fine with noncreatures, but thought the interaction was weird enough to skip it entirely.

Fixed card text.

Interesting, though I don't like the mish-mash of colors. Can't you just make the ability Blue and force a creature to attack?

Decent. Should specify nontoken artifacts. The body could be slightly better - compare Mikaeus the Unhollowed.

Seeing both of them makes me want to see a Bestow version.
>At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on ~. If ~ is an aura, put a -1/-1 counter on enchanted creature instead.
>When ~ or enchanted creature leaves the battlefield, create a 1/1 green Saproling creature token for each -1/-1 counter on it.

Has science gone too far?

But let's keep going and see what happens.

>[...] haste until end of turn. When you lose control of the creature, put a -1/-1 counter on it.

Not really in Magic's design philosophy to do these sorts of card name callouts. Its absolutely awful for draft (oops, didn't draft a Spiral, can't cast it!) and makes them unplayable in constructed because your sideboard slots are limited.

Could be wrong, but this strikes me as uncommon material.

>RG
>Caring about noncreature spells.
>Not punching people in the face for them.
Seems seriously off to me.

Would something closer to this be justified?

This is just painful to watch.

No, because Formless Oni is still a dead card without having Nothings, which means that its a trash card in limited. In constructed, I have to waste two consecutive draws and two sideboard slots (or have a shuffle effect) in order to have a bear? Golly gee, how exciting.

Also, we have color indicators to show the color of cards that don't have "regular" mana costs (see the Pact cycle).

Why the interest in Spirit/Arcane tribal? You'd be hard pressed to find a group of people online who don't think its one of the worst ideas to come out of R&D in a long while.

Semicolon asshole from last thread here.

I am posting to apologize to the thread, and more specifically /CO/user for losing my cool and saying some really unfortunate things. You get enough shitposters around here, you don't need another one on the pile. Rest assured it won't be a problem any longer.

Cheers.

Missed an opportunity not having the dark side filter mana.

>T: Add one mana of "any color you like" to your mana pool. Transform The Moon.
It's supposed to be like, light entering the moon and being split, letting you pick any color you like. which was too good of an opportunity to make that refference.

This card seems extremely broken and should only be printed in extremely high power level sets, and would see bans in all constructed formats.
If you want to make this more constructed fair, I'd recommend having it enter tapped and only make colorless. In its current state it would make any combo deck stupidly fast.

This is a cool mechanic but it feels a bit odd for green, even if it is removing flying from a creature. I'd argue that keyword nullifying is generally blue and that sense the keyword is flying, this could be mono U if you wanted.

I don't even know.

Has the same grammar issues generic splice cards always run into. Not all card text gels well when put onto the same card.

This is way too strong. For example, letting you splice onto storm cards isn't safe.

Storm itself isn't safe.

Storm/infect/phyrexian mana/planeswalkers/Urza/sol ring was a mistake.

This is probably how they'd do it to make it flow better and forsake the templated accuracy. Also the probably required reminder text.

This should be grixis not Jeskai.
Black being the ally color of both blue and red makes it a much better fit then white. White also doesn't really care much for instants or soceries, and black at least has Toshiro Umezawa for a "instants matters" effect.

I think Grixis could actually be game-breaking with access to discard. Plus, I feel Grixis is more creature-based than it is spell-based.

That being said, I almost put Prowess on the card until I realized splicing is anti-synergy.

You don't capitalize card types.