WIP - Painting/Converting/Sculpting General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>I am the hammer! I am the point of His spear! I am the mail about His fist! I am the bane of His foes!
youtube.com/watch?v=JjaYW5Cnr5k

>Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Professional-Quality-Brass-Pin-Vise/dp/B0082EQXLG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1398185458&sr=8-6&keywords=pin vise
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'll post a few pics of my nids for user.
My original question for you guys was what do you think of the prototype miniature for my new Genestealer Cults project. I'll probably field them together with my Tyranids, so I'm hoping for comments with that in mind. Thanks again!

Aaaand the Norn Queen with a few Raveners.

here

Finished with the model. I can never get the winged I on the shoulders to look good.

And the back

Tried kitbashing for the first time. Didn't have any green stuff, but was able to substitute with glue and scrap resin.

Hoping to use it as a Herald of Khorne in an upcoming HoR Killteam campaign. Think it came out well?

This is going to be my WIP project tonight, ladz. Wish me luck!

>Finished
Arguable

That's pretty awesome considering your budget green stuff.
No seriously, it looks brilliant! Paint that shit up and please give it an attention grabbing base.

I don't have supplies to do the actual base atm.

Made some more progress, i'm pretty happy with how beat up looking this thing is.
I'm not sure about what colours to paint the missiles though, maybe red? Also got to paint the bits on the end of the wings, i'll probably do them gunmetal and rust, they'll be covered by engines anyway so they won't be that noticeable.

Thanks man! I was worried it was gonna be ugly, since its only the 12th model I've ever made (other are a box of Bloodletters and the Daemon Prince I got the arms from).

I think I might have a few leftover bitz to make a cool base, but I'm not 100% certain on that. I was thinking that, as a low cost solution, I'd just paint a summoning-circle onto the base.

I think it looks cool with how beat up it is; goes well with the rust.
Red is probably a good colour to paint the missiles, but make them a deep red/burgundy, kinda like the stripes below the skull insignia. If you look at the Millitarum Tempestus paint scheme, that's basically the colour of red you're looking for.

Dude! You can just clip your emptied sprue frames into random debris or even build something out of them to use in the base. Get some fine & coarse sand from outdoors. Also use cork and small rocks and twigs to add more substance on your bases. Easy and doesn't cost you much.
For the Herald I could suggest using cork and maybe rocks to make him a bit elevated, so he'll be a small centerpiece among your basic demons.

More importantly...! Clean those mold lines and the flashes left over from the sprue. On the pointy hand on the side, you can see the line it's glued together from. Use a bit of glue to smoothen that up. Normally I'd use liquid green stuff, but since I doubt you have it, just use glue. Works well enough!

He's already glued to a small base, but I was thinking that, since I have lots of pic related hanging around, I could magnetize him to a larger artistic base that I could make all pretty and stuff.

Thanks for the tip. I was trying to get rid of the mould lines, but wasn't sure what to do with the 'creases.'

Okay, starting on my Mechanicus army this week, want to do them completely properly with everything magnetized and decent looking bases.

First up, apart from the europe/UK websites for buying magnets, is there a decent germany-based site to not have to pay several times the magnets' price in shipping?

Secondly, did anyone ever magnetize one of these pretty bastards? What kind of magnet size would be appropriate for the tiny-ass Phosphor Serpenta arm (and other body parts of that tinyness)?

Last but certainly not least: tech-erection hat or edgy, mysterious hood?

Oh right, almost forgot: what kind of glue is good to use for glueing 'sand'/gras on a base?

Brilliant idea!

Is the Herald supposed to be on a square small base?

white/PVA glue for the sand and then super glue for grass/flock

Sand looks really bad - compared to the model it looks more like large gravel

Either CA glue (aka super glue) or PVA glues (aka white glue) are good for basing, but PVA glue has a tendency to be really weak later.

>white/PVA glue for the sand
>wanting the sand to slide off the base later

that's how I've been basing my models for the last decade and i've never had a problem with it.

That milky wood glue for sand and rocks and cork. I think for grass flock aswell. Normal hobby glue for tufts, metal, and plastic.

you should step up your basing game

baking soda with CA glue on a base looks really good, and much better than sand

Same.

His body's from a Vargheist, which come on 40mm square bases. However, I'm proxying him as a Herald (which use 25mm bases).

I'm not sure what the rules say about converting models (I.E. would I be allowed to use a herlad on a 40mm base), so I erred on the side of caution and gave him a 25mm base.

If you go with hood, you won't need to paint the small portions of exposed skin on the erection-head

Do any of you guys ever go back and revisit some of your older models that you still play with to pretty them up to your current painting standard? Thinking of doing that to get the "painting skill inconsistency" out of my army, at least a bit.

AoS is in a weird place right now when it comes to bases since a lot of old stuff is still on squares. If you gave him a round base nobody would question, especially since rounds look better.

>AoS
HA! No.
Using this for 40K

Usually nobody cares what size base you use. Especially for characters and stuff.

What he said.

Wasn't there originally this odd situation in AoS where you could make a model invincible to melee by making the base big enough to not allow smaller units to reach the model itself with their arms?

If a 25 base is too small to balance well, try a 30 base that marines now use.

I was able to weigh him down with a shekel I glued under his base. He's plenty balanced, the only problem is its a pain in the ass to get anything in bast-to-base with him.

>squares in 40k ever
ew no

40k is generally "use whatever you like but don't cheese shit." As long as the base is visually the right size for the model, nobody will care.

depends on how you read the rules, but nobody actually has ever tried to do that because clearly it is stupid.

I'm looking for small, cutsie bat wings to put on a 28mm gal's back.

The three bat kits GW produces are generally not fitting for salvaging, besides being way over priced they're bad sculpts.

I'm a fan.

I know for a fact that you can use square bases for daemons, I just wasn't sure of its size.

If you are american you can probably get some bat/demon wings from reaper.

If you are in europe/uk you can get them from Hasslefree. Imogen's wings

You could try to ebay some wings from a dark eldar jump troop model too.

maybe you can, but they look so bad

why would you want to

>but they look so bad
you take that back

never

they look terrible and you know it

lol round bases then! Give him a 35mm or something!

I don't know what you're talking about, that shit looks cool AF. It'd be ruined by round bases; you wouldn't be able to get battle lines like that.

Im back from a long hiatus from fantasy. Are ogres still viable? I have a starter box from way back when that I'm thinking about starting on.

>oh yeah I'll do a rust theme because these guys have been in a jungle for ages!
>rust looks awful

Welp, looks like it's back to clean design.

>try to find 3mm hand drill on amazon
>all pin vices made for 2mm
Ugh.

Thoughts? It's the first mini I've ever painted, I've got another 17 of these guys to get through.

amazon.com/Professional-Quality-Brass-Pin-Vise/dp/B0082EQXLG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1398185458&sr=8-6&keywords=pin vise

All you had to do was ask

The pink looks a little shit, but besides that, it looks very good.

Oh no.. Somebody's got to tell him.

>no international shipping
I hate living in such a hillybilly backwater country such as Germany.

The only 3mm pin vises shipping here are some really cheap and sketchy looking chinese things.

So, I want to improve the main body of my Tyrannocyst a bit so it isn't just a solid blob of black. I want to add some green to it to give it a sickly feeling.

Would it be better if I used a green wash, or dry brush a layer on to the veiny areas? I don't want to do solid colors cause it looks unnatural.

I'd probably do a combination of dry brushing it with a beige tone and then washing with green over it.

Never painted 'Nids, but I feel like that might work. Should give it a "toxic flesh"-y kind of look, shouldn't it?

My first Tau model. Figured I'd get a suit just to break of the routine of Necrons.

You know, the way Tau armor is so cleanly segmented makes it seem like they're easy to paint.

Begun painting my House Vyronii Knight. Pretty happy with this metallic green.

nice metallic tint, how did you do it?

Should I tell him, or will you?

and yet 70% of tau armies are grey tides

Army Painter Gunmetal spray, Tamiya Clear Green and then AP Anti-shine bottle varnish.

I did rush it a bit, as I should've applied some highlights to the steel first, but the crotchplate will be mostly in shadow anyway.

What's a good way to incorporate blue and red into a Tau color scheme without having it blend in with their skin/look like an American flag?

I'll break the news..

.A thing happened with WFB. In its place is a new game, called "Age of Sigmar"

The rules are 100% free on GW's site and you can still use all of your old models.

dark red armor plates with extreme red highlights
gunmetal blue metal pits, or navy blue pants.
paint there skin more of an ashen grey than a bright blue.

The rules are free, but don't use them.

I accidentally did make mine look like an American flag.

My color scheme has since changed *after* I got five Fire Warriors, an Ethereal, and two Crisis Suits in that scheme, including some rusty ones. It actually doesn't look bad.

Not really a /wip/ topic. Drop by the AoS general instead.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Why the fuck did they change it?

Because fags like you stopped buying their models, so they killed the world, squatted the Tomb Kings, and made everything play like 40K but worse.

How is it my fault GW is retarded?

Purple.

>e]
please take the funposting to the wfb or aos generals

Post results, pls.

Its not, but that was GW's reason behind it.
Also, Bretonia got squatted too

pic

nofunallowed.jpg

>Post results, pls.

I'm going to try the Alumilite instead of Micro-Mark 1-to-1. It's supposed to be tougher, and there are some tuck-ups on Johnny that will cause a weaker mold to tear. Alumilite takes 48 hours for a full cure, though (as opposed to 4 hours for 1-to-1), and I'll be making a two-part mold, so it will take much longer even if I don't screw it up. Also, I don't know how the new rubber will deal with the heat of molten metal.

We'll see how this turns out. Expect a full report by the end of the week.

Are there any pics of people desperately trying to use modern pro painting skills on RT models?

Think she is nearing completion. Anything super terrible that I should fix? She is a nasty super old swamp hag.

Good luck, user. I am excited to see the results.

Too slow user :^)

We know your secret, Australian shame.

The miniature looks pretty nice. Maybe a little more highlighting on the hood and dildo / wand?

>Are there any pics of people desperately trying to use modern pro painting skills on RT models?

Bobby Wong painted these ladz. The model on the left is a First Edition Mk VI Space Marine with a lascannon.

>Don't talk to me or my Neophyte ever again

>painting black stripes on the legs because there isn't any underarmor on the old RT models

that reminds me that I should sell the sprues of RT beakies I have. I wonder how much they are worth

It's supposed to be a sewing dildo but I really was at a loss for what color to make it so I splashed some metalics on it an called it a day. Do you think I should change it to a different color?

holy shit I am sitting on like 150 bucks

do people really pay that much for those shitty old models?

This is another Wong piece. Specifically, "Captain" (070145/10).

That lascannon looks like it has erectile dysfunction

> using a rage face
You really have been gone long haven't you

>shoulder fire multi-melta

Is that normal? I'm so used to pic related, that it didn't occur to me that it would be fired any other way.

no it isn't normal anymore

In the olden days, every weapon was shoulderfired.

I am surprised there aren't underslung missile launchers.

Sister!

I'll take the chance asking a quick question.
I just bought the Renegade boxed games(aka 2 imperial-knights-at-the-cost-of-one)but I only got one sprue with the new version pieces, like the thunderstrike gauntlet and carapace mounted weapons. Is that normal or was I supposed to get 2? having only all of the option for one model sucks, since I wanted to paint the 2 knights differently...

Fuck me sideways, I didn't take a picture of blondie. Will rectify that next killteam game.

>heavily armored rhinos
they always look so good

why do they look so good

What does Vallejo ink do?

just realized I bought it instead of paint