What's the best Monopoly piece?

What's the best Monopoly piece?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HayFxnfFgZk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Anyone who doesn't say battleship is a faggot.

/thread

/thread

>unironically liking battleship
The boot is the best, obviously.

I'm a dog player. I know we're pretty low in the Meta, and nobody takes us seriously, but everyone seems to enjoy playing with us, so.. I guess we're at least the "nice fun guy" piece.

Nigga are you high or something?

How is a battleship supposed to move around the city? How are you supposed to get the money to keep that thing running?

Fukkin battleship fags, ruining my immersion.

youtube.com/watch?v=HayFxnfFgZk

I've never met a dog player who wasn't the nicest guy at the table. I sincerely hope you get an update soon so we see you more in official tourneys

Just as long as they don't step on Hat's style.

Can we all agree that Iron is the worst piece of them all?

I like the thimble most.

Iron used to have a place in the meta two years ago, but it got superceded by car, and it should have been dumped.

Totally. Iron hasn't been updated since release, and the lore is absolute shit.

Charmander.

We're going by Core, faggot. Don't bring third-party shit into this.

Fpbp

Any answer but the top hat is wrong.

>not picking the wheelbarrow to hold all of your cash

Sack of money and lantern are the best.

Battleship and cannon were both pieces from a game that failed that they threw in to save money, and are inferior.

I'm pretty sure battleship loads more money than wheelbarrow.

>third-party
It ain't core, but it's certainly not third-party except in regards to collaboration.

That's the monopoly logo right thee on the box.

Battleship represents the military industrial complex. Which was inferior to the oil and railroad industry in the 1930's.

So the superior piece is clearly the lantern.

The clothing iron has the lowest mass of all the playing pieces, and therefore anyone who picks it will be able to endure for longer than any of the other players with heavier pieces.

Just because it has the name doesn't mean its the original.

>...

Okay, so long as we acknowledge that one day we /will/ know the perfect chess game. Tic-Tac-Toe is just easier to crunch.

What is Veeky Forums's friendliest game?

I say it's CAH, followed closely by Commander/EDH. I've never met an EDH player that was too sore a loser.

So what does each piece represent?

No go fuck yourself
>Totally useful handle to pick it up with
>Aerodynamic shape
>Burns and melts the opponents it crushes
Iron is top tier.

>The first significant development in customizing the playing pieces came in 1937, when Parker Brothers introduced these die-cast metal tokens: a car, flatiron, lantern, thimble, shoe, top hat, and rocking horse. Later that same year, a battleship and cannon were added to raise the number of tokens to ten.

>All was quiet on the token front until 1942 when metal shortages during World War II resulted in a comeback of wooden tokens. But the same mix of tokens remained until the early 1950s when the lantern, purse, and rocking horse were kicked out in favor of the dog, the horse & rider, and the wheelbarrow.

>Parker Brothers conducted a poll to determine what Monopoly fans would prefer for the eleventh token; true to the spirit of the game, the winner was a sack of money.

>When Monopoly was first created in the early 1930s, there were no pieces like we know them, so they went to Cracker Jack, which at the time was offering tiny metal tchotchkes, like cars. They used the same molds to make the Monopoly pieces. Game Show sells some antique Cracker Jack prizes and, sure enough, the toy car is exactly the same as the Monopoly car. In fact, there’s also a candlestick, which seems to be the model for the one in Clue.”
>I think they chose Cracker Jack prizes that symbolize wealth and poverty. The car, top hat, and dog (especially a little terrier like Asta, then famous from “The Thin Man” movie series) were all possessions of the wealthy. The thimble, wheelbarrow, old shoe, and iron were possessions or tools of the poor.
>The Battleship and Cannon pieces were originally used by Parker Brothers in a game called “Conflict.” When that game failed it was easy enough for the company to take the pieces and use them in Monopoly. Since then, it has also been used in the game “Diplomacy” as well.

Boot > Top Hat > Battleship > Car > Dog > Thimble > Wheelbarrow > Iron.

ORIGINAL PIECES:

>Top Hat-Often considered the most recognizable icon of the game, the top hat is also one of the original pieces created in 1935. The token was based on the hat the game’s lead character, Mr. Monopoly, would wear. Of course, when the game was introduced, he was known as Rich Uncle Pennybags, and many have speculated the character was based on J.P. Morgan.

>Thimble-The piece of choice for reigning US Monopoly champion, Richard Marinaccio, the thimble is another of the original pieces from 1935. Much like the top hat and shoe, the thimble has appeared in most versions of the game that have been released.

>Iron (Recently Retired)-Earlier this year, fans of Monopoly voted on a new token to add to the game. They also voted on which piece it would replace. With only 8% of the vote, the iron was the low man on the totem pole. Perhaps saddest to see it go is Monopoly World Champion, Bjorn Halvard Knappskog, who used the piece in his last championship match. The iron should have seen the writing on the wall, it was the second least popular piece in a 1998 vote.

>Shoe-Around since the beginning, the shoe is modeled after the practical work shoe of the 30s. Instead of changing its design with the times, the Shoe has remained the same and is a symbol of both hard work and the riches that can come along with it.

>Battleship -The die-cast metal battleship token is actually somewhat of a game piece celebrity. The piece was originally used by Parker Brothers in a game called “Conflict.” When that game failed it was easy enough for the company to take the pieces and use them in Monopoly. Since then, it has also been used in the game “Diplomacy” as well.

The iron, because nobody expects the iron to win.

>Cannon (Retired)-Often called the cannon even though rumor is the piece was supposed to be called the howitzer, this piece is closely tied to the battleship. The cannon was also used in “Conflict” and tossed in with Monopoly as that game failed. In 1946 it changed from its original design to the more recent long cannon style. Unlike most pieces, the cannon was simply dropped from the lineup without any kind of fan vote or campaign.

1935-1936

>Racecar-The car was added just a touch earlier than the other pieces in this section, appearing as the seventh token. The racecar steals its sharp looks from a 1930’s roadster. The original idea was to design the car token based on the car Mr. Monopoly would drive around. It’s undergone a few variation changes through time and sported a “3” on its side until sometime in the 1960s.

>Purse (Retired)-The purse became the eighth playing piece to join the Monopoly family, and it has a bit of an odd history. It appeared and disappeared from sets beginning in 1935/1936 until it was finally retired in the early 50s. Early on, the game pushed the limits expanding to 10 tokens (the purse being one of them) and then scaled back and continued to oscillate this way for years. The purse seemed to be thusly added and removed as these changes occurred.

>Rocking Horse (Retired)-The rocking horse is one of the more hard to find pieces nowadays. It was only around from the 30s to the 50s and it didn’t appear in many editions of the game during that time.

>Lantern (Retired)-The lantern is tied at the hip with the rocking horse. Both were added at the same time and removed in the 50s when the Scottie dog, the wheelbarrow, and the horse and rider were added.

Thimble 4 lyfe.

1950's

>Scottie Dog-One of three new tokens added in the 1950s, the Scottie Dog became Mr. Monopoly’s right hand-man/pup. The token has become the most loved of all the pieces and received the most votes to keep it during the recent ousting of the Iron (29% of the vote to be precise).

>Wheelbarrow-Introduced in the 1950s wave of token change, the wheelbarrow was one of the pieces that replaced the lantern, purse, and rocking horse. The wheelbarrow was included as an emblem of hard work and one of the prime tools needed to build the properties around the board. It barely survived the recent vote and is clearly not the most popular piece ever as it placed dead last in the vote in 1998.

>Horse & Rider (Retired)-The horse & rider became a staple piece beginning in the early 50s until it met a similar fate as the cannon (being removed without much fanfare).

1999-Now

>Sack of Money-The sack of money became the first new token added in over 40 years in 1999. It beat out the piggy bank (20% of the vote) and the bi-plane (29% of the vote) in a vote Hasbro ran to join the elite ranks by securing 51% of the vote of 1.5 million people. Unfortunately for the sack of money, it was retired less than a decade after it was introduced.

>Cat-The winner of the vote earlier this year, the cat is the newest piece you’ll find if you purchase a new set. The cat defeated the diamond ring, a guitar, a toy robot, and the helicopter to find itself among the lot.

Those are all of the official Monopoly pieces. Sorry for the delay, put the image together.

>Those are all of the official Monopoly pieces. Sorry for the delay, put the image together.

Cool.

But the one true piece is R2D2 from Star Wars Monopoly.

>Car
>Middle tier
Fuck off

>Flip iron over
>Now you are SHIELD
>SHIELD has guaranteed unbroken streets
>SHIELD owns all the railroads
>Put your trust in SHIELD.

Deepest lore

Thimble with tophat on top is the only real answer here

Sorry for picking car everytime, but I like winning.

Top Tier:
Battleship
Thimble

Good Tier:
Iron
Car

Mid Tier:
Shoe
Dog

Shit Tier:
Wheelbarrow

Reddit Tier:
Tophat

I always put the Tophat on the Thimble.

Always felt that was the only way to get a piece that actually looked like a tycoon.

Cubone and Magikarp = god tier

as for the original game anyone who doesn't play car or battleship is a huge faggot

If you're playing monopoly, everybody involved has already lost.

t.Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov

Yall niggas is dumb as shit, its clearly the fucking battleship faggots.

little doggo
brk brk
much property

But if you don't pick the car or boot, you can't pretend that your walking/driving around the city
Fucking tryhards

The cat that people on the Internet voted for, obviously.

Racecar, of course.

Do you guys even go fast?

Just because it's not the original doesn't mean it's third party.

>shoe
Not only can you pretend you're walking across town, but you can also kick out other pieces when you render them bankrupt. It's got the perks of car and more.

Listen here faggot, how the FUCK are you going to get around the city in a fucking THIMBLE or an iron? Are you going to hop around the city in your fucking hat? Are you going to be pushed around in a wheelbarrow like a diseased pleb? Or are you going to shove both your feet into a single fucking boot? Or maybe you'll ride your pathetic little dog (unless you ARE the dog, which is kind of badass actually).

The only options are a racecar and a battleship. A racecar already shows the world what kind of person you are: a spoiled, faggot playboy that loves fast cars and loose women. He's probably on the door of bankrupcy but still wastes money on shit he can't use.

Compare the battleship. You can move that shit around in any self-respecting city, because any city worth trading in is either located near a river, the ocean or both. You can hop back and forth between Rotterdam, London and Paris like it ain't no thang.
>B-But muh backwards German village
NOBODY FUCKING CARES.

And you know what a motherfucking battleship screams? It screams "gunboat diplomacy". It screams "you'd better have my rent in my mailbox by monday or else I'm blowing you and your impoverished family to smithereens". It screams "You own all four railway stations? Good luck exploiting them if the entire railway network is fucking bombarded to bits". It screams "I ain't got time for this, I need to bomb Japan's harbor until it submits to my trade demands".

They might as well rename Monopoly to "Battleship and Friends", or perhaps "Battleship and Vague Acquaintances he barely even speaks to".

Hat players are either full patrician or filthy plebs. No middle ground exists with hat players.

An actual thimble from your grandmother's sewing kit, because you lost half the pieces over the years.

Or the charms from any junk-jewelry charm bracelet, since that's what the original prototype pieces probably were.

SCOTTIE DOG AND TOP HAT, YOU CUNTS

SCOTTIE DOG AND TOP HAT

Top hatter reporting in, peasants.

Dog and Artillery reporting.

>not playing the dog

Hope you enjoy cleaning my shit up after you get that rent money.

>actually """playing""" Monopoly

what a horrific way to waste your time

When I was a kid, I've always picked the Hat.

The top hat is actually a magicians hat that allows you to teleport through the city.
Only peasants drive cars.

>Battleship

You keep using that word, when it clearly has the layout of a destroyer!

underrated post

Ban racecar, its overpowered

Give me the wheelbarrow so I can haul all my fucking money around the city.

>Retro Robot Rejected
I am filled with an anger that burns hotter than the sun

The Meridian vase

Clearly artillery. They only retired it because it kept falling over.

>Scottie dog is marked retired
Retarded AND blasphemous!

Current meta favours the Top Hat, Thimble and Iron. Car and Dog are counter-meta picks. Battleship is all but useless since the last round of balance patches.

Top Hat

Fuck nigga, if you're playing the London version there's literally a battleship (well, a light cruiser) in the city the guns are trained on the M25

Dog

It's the Tophat or nothing.

FPBP

Top Hat reporting in

Best answer.
Followed by moneybag. Represents everything you need to win.

t.edgelord

The dog and fuck you if you say otherwise
>didn't have a b-ship in my set when growing up. When was that added?

When are they going to ban pic related? This is too op and needs nerfing bad.

I like putting the hat on the thimble and using both.

Battleship was never retired, but it was added after the first sets. You'd have to have had one of the originals in the first two years of production.

>tfw you're last to pick and the battleship somehow manages to still be there

Yes that's literally what it means.

>he doesn't use custom pieces

Enjoy your peasant bric-a-brac tourneyfags

Dog first, wheelbarrow second, thimble third.

I fucking love Veeky Forums

>having a wheelbarrow piece
Murrican detected

Dog wearing hat

CAAAAAAR

Monica

>When thimble exists
Second worst.

Reverend Green is best piece, get to call in on rentors and share a nice cup of tea and a cake.

WHY DO THEY NEVER CHANGE (GO TO/)JAIL AND FREE PARKING. MAKE THEM THEMED FOR GOD'S SAKE.

How would you homebrew unique "hero" abilities for each of the monopoly pieces, Veeky Forums?