Cultist Inspiration

So I really like cults and cultist style things in DnD and other fantasy games and worlds.

But what sort of things do cults worship?
Pretty much all of them can be boiled down to;
>Demons
>Nature Spirits
>Lovecraftian Entities
>Maybe undead?

Is there anything else cults can worship? These are getting kind of stale after a while, or there needs to be a good way to refluff them.

Cults of personality.

> Asks for cult ideas.
> Posts a wise old man heroically keeping an ancient evil locked in place without any religious precedent.

Jokes aside, maybe a cult trying selective breeding and peering into the future to guide humanity into a new terrifying super species to squish all other races/the supernatural?

How about a fringe denomination worshipping the same deity as the setting's main religion, but being way more weird and extremist and fundamentalist about it because of a different interpretation of its teachings? Like think regular American christianity vs those weird little cult-ish micro-denominations where your 13 kids are all homeschooled and the daughters wear those long denim skirts.

>no religious precedent
>gives the key to unlocking the ancient evil to a random yob because he's the chosen one for today

Does he mention you being the "chosen" undead? It's been awhile since I played DS1.

I don't recall specifically but having come to that awareness I imagine he's like a really bored ride operator who has to reflood the city in time for the next Chosen undead.

So like the God-Emperor of Dune?

All right, I just looked up his dialogue.

This motherfucker knows more than we ever thought.

Of course he knows what's up, he had no illusions about what he was doing and what he did and stood by while the other two flaked on him.

The guy is awesome and I've always respected him, but that's not what I'm talking about.

He fucking name drops Frampt.

This. This is how actual real life cults mostly operate. The subject of worship is actually one manipulative one-trick pony who has won over a bunch of credulous halfwits, who use built-in social traits to force each other to stay. See Scientology.

Hey, pretty cool ideas guys, thanks.

I was honestly more asking to see if anyone had any idea for supernatural entities that are 'like' demons or lovecraft entities but aren't actually those things. Kind of pretentious I know, but I want a cult that isn't too generic and has supernatural forces behind it that are truly mysterious.

> A great man-made edifice that absorbs the sickness and other bad shit from a populace that has come to be worshiped after centuries.
> An endless black and blue ocean separated from real space that can walked on. The civilization that worships it sends of its dieing to traverse it and find their afterlife. None can die while standing atop it.
> A really, REALLY, big tree.

True story, a guy at work basically came to work for us escaping his family who were all scientologist from whatever that town is in Florida that they control.

Came all the way to Virginia with nearly nothing but his car. Kinda scary to think a cult damn near controls an entire town. It's like a weird Silent Hill thing without the sentient town.

checked mr satan

Tech cults that feel the creation of technology and the pursuit of knowledge is a holy path for mankind to follow. You can play that up in an honest way if you want them to be good guys, or make it all a front for them lobotomizing people and turning them into mindless cyborgs.

Or maybe a Divination Cult that uses like, let's say the ambient magic of the setting to try and guess the future, leading them running around to specific locations on specific days to do weird ass rituals, trying to save/kill specific people certain ways, all for what LOOKS like no real reason.

>After many centuries the Edifice begins to be corrupted from all the illness and sorrow it has absorbed from the people.
>The Clergy understands this and hires the party to find a way to purify, and "Drain" the evil out of the Edifice in a safe way

A cult that worships itself, the cult. All is for the good of the cult and none other.

I'm at least happy Scientology isn't taken seriously up here. I've heard that Scientology actually has a massive vault in Nevada that has guards and stuff.

Have you ever heard of operation snow white?

Yea, but Canada doesn't recognize them has a religion or charity organization. Not only that, their barely here.

I don't remember the dialogue specifically but the requirements for him to give you the key (rather than you killing and looting it off of him for early 4kings) is that you have placed the lordvessel, so yeah.

See

>Crimson Set
Dammit, now I kind of want to play Dark Souls again.

Playing the first one blind for the first time was fucking magical.

Honestly, I kind of have more fun raping the game in the ass now that I actually have an understanding of the mechanics. I just grab a Crimson Set and a Large Club right off the bat, and then I'm set for the game.

Of course, I'm not really a fan of "difficulty" by way of not letting you know how anything works. The later games did it better.

>the Glorious Murder /K/ube

lol