Digital Tabletop

Has GW ever considered making a digital Warhammer 40000 "tabletop" game like that Armageddon game but with all of 40k's factions/models/rules implemented and map custimization?

You can play split-screen, solo or online with others rather than physical tabletop.

No, I highly doubt it. It would drain sales after all

GW aren't a video games company and farming out a direct competitor to your own sales line is a bad idea.

I'm not sure if I'm remembering right, but iirc GW was very wary to let Dawn of War be made at all because they thought it would eat into the profits of the tabletop game.

I highly doubt they would ever make a digital version of 40k, even if the company was on the verge of death.

So...now?

Don't believe the doomsayers, user. GW isn't doing nearly as bad as they'll lead you to believe.

They're probably starting on the upswing in terms of market strategy right now anyway now that Kirby's gone and Rountree's took his place.

I would love that, but I have my doubts it would be made at all though.
Still fun to hope though.

>GW aren't a video games company
Well why the hell aren't they? The clock is ticking on their whole "sell little statues for exorbitant prices" shtick, unless they think the capabilities of 3D printing somehow won't ever advance beyond what they are today.

Pftahahha no

They can continue to sell little plastic men at a ridiculous premium and have always been scared of the digital devil stealing their autism bucks
You fell for the 3d printer meme

3d printing has been about to kill GW for... how many years now? 10? 20?

The closest your going to come to ATM are the DoW series, the 2 space hulk games, battlefleet gothic leviathan - a mobile translation of the battlefleet table top game, the Horus heresy talisman, the Armageddon series by slitherine like you mentioned (theres an ork version), regicide, the not!40k warmachines PC game, and blood bowl.

But

There's a game coming out by slitherine called Sanctus reach. Mark my words when I say this will be the closest thing to actual 40k on the PC (and probably similar to the warmachines game), but I bet it will be more x-com like than the war game, however not RTS like DoW.

I think slitherine makes another game called Ravensmark? That's super similar to how a game like KoW, WFB, and those type of war games are played with units being able to combine and detach with a really compelling TBS system. Units are given a movement/attack queue and you can only do a few actions per turn, so the way combat works out is based on the units move priority etc. it's a sleeper gem, works with eyefinity resolutions, and is also available on mobile.

Because they might as well just sell the IP at that point instead of trying to restructure the entire company.

>Slitherine

Cause me while I hurl into this trashcan

The day I will be finally able to pirate that game you talk about is the day I'm done painting and all that shit and buying gw models...
either that or 3d printers whichever comes first.

honestly I'm there for the game, that's why my group stopped played 8th after WH TW dropped...
the video game is basically a much better warhammer than the tabletop ever was.

No one would buy ther overpricec plastic.

But if they are smart whey would go with that, lower minis price while still charge some money for squad of digital marines, add come cool customization packs for 2-3$ or more and money will flow.

>d printing has been about to kill GW for... how many years now? 10? 20?

You sound like complete idiot, 10 years ago we havent heard about 3d printers afordable for average joe. This will be just like computers, onece it click everyone will want one.

The game is only about 10% of the hobby. A digital version would not actually translate well.

And there are no books because everyone has a regular printer? It's digital media, e-books and vidya, that thraten the sales

>10? 20?
...Uh, what? Ten years ago 3D printing had just been invented, was very crude and insanely expensive. Now they are much more affordable and the quality, while not up to pic related standards, will clearly one day get there. Probably sooner than you think.

>And there are no books because everyone has a regular printer?
That's not the same thing at all. Good Lord.

Why not?

3d printing was invented in the early 80s, over 30 years ago.

The first patents are 30 years old.

There is no Moore's law for physical processes, it isn't just going to get better and cheaper every year like your phone.

How many people do you know that have a four axis cnc mill in their garage?

Right now there is no available process (at any price) suitable for making minis that does not require materials which aren't especially stable over mid-long term periods.

Actually it is. You can download books and you can print them. In regular formats even. The only thing you can't easily replicate are hardback versions.

Tell me more about what I'm looking at, here.
I was piqued when AM was announced as an army, but when I saw their vees that were mostly just stubby crab-looking things my interest wavered.

This, however... This is more in line with the aesthetic I'd want and expect.

ok grandpa.....
not him but..

first I only download ebook. the last time I actually bought a comic,manga or book is laughably away.
then a book is like 300 pages for 6€...
a KILO of resin is like less than 10€, I'll now let you weight your space marine and divide...

So ? did they sold them in wall mart in the 80's ?

Yeah, and personal computers as we know them were invented some 60 years ago. Takes time for shit to catch on and become affordable.

>and Rountree's took his place.
And for now he doesn't change anything important

FW Resin.

Done.

3d printing is really slow (REALLY slow) and home 3d printers have shit quality. It till be 5-10 years before they come anywhere close to GW's current releases in terms of quality.

3d printing is going to be an issue for GW absolutely, but it isn't an issue for their main business right now, or even particularly soon.

Where 3d printing is going to be a bigger impact is in their forge world lines of products (large models and custom accessories), but right now every HHfag proudly talks about buying chinacast anyway, so it isn't like this would be any different.

I love these threads. You get people who don't own any kind of CNC equipment, who don't know anything about modelling or toolpath generation, who don't even make moulds and cast minis telling us how 3D printing is going to change everything because you just hit a button and a free army falls out of the machine.

Why would you want a vidya adaptation of one of the worst (if not THE worst) tabletop rulesets available right now? It would just be really shitty turn based strategy.

It might in GWs favour if it was a free to play model. You get a basic low point army for every faction, include a code with physical models so if you purchase that model, you can unlock it for your army. It would teach newbies the rules of the game and encourage players to visit the shops.

>It till be 5-10 years before they come anywhere close to GW's current releases in terms of quality.
That was being said 5-10 years ago.

There is no process which has sufficient resolution for minis that doesn't require industrial solvents and produce prints that degrade over a few years.

New materials or processes yet to be invented are required for inexpensive home printing of minis so to guess at a timelines is ridiculous.

>unless they think the capabilities of 3D printing somehow won't ever advance beyond what they are today.

Even at GW's prices, 3D printing will never get that cheap.

For one, people need printers to print pictures, documents, and whatever else. Next to nobody needs a 3D printer in their daily lives. Hell, next to nobody can make 3D artwork on a computer, because all the programs to do it are hugely expensive and finicky. There will be negligible demand for a 3D printer.

Hell, even now, with the costs of printers being as low as they are, it's never going to cost me less to print a book than to just go to the store and buy one. Paper is reasonably priced, but ink and toner is exorbitantly expensive. Include the price of binding it together and even if you break even, it's going to look like a piece of shit compared to the real book. Same deal with 3D printing. Do you honestly think companies won't jack the price of their plastic up ten-fold to make up for the printers that they sell at a loss? All GW has to do is make sure that their figures sell for just a bit less than it would cost to 3D print one, and it would still look better than something 3D printed.

Not unlike Solar energy, we've had it for years, but nobody saw the need for them over internal combustion or just plugging into the power grid, so they remain prohibitively expensive.

I know it's slow, it'll improve.
even 1 28mm model/hour is enough (it's already much faster than that)
because let it on for a month and see yourself with 720 assembled space marines...

fair enough

the point I was getting at in my whole post though, was that 3d printing is not an immediate issue for GW

Where I see it being useful from a hobby perspective is for custom parts and one-off things, like if I wanted custom shoulder pads for my home-made chapter.

>my boat is expensive therefor my car is expensive.

literraly retard.

resin/plastic have much more implication than ink.
the prices is lower because of the quantity available.

2 LBS of resin is FUCKING 12 DOLLAR

if anything I think 3d printing is more likely to hurt games with really shit models like warmachine or battletech, since desu the home 3d printers now could probably produce better

No you won't. Do you think you just hit a button and marines start falling out into a basket?

You need to cut the models from the build platform when they're done, wash them in IPA, top up the resin, clean the optics, replace the resin tank as it degrades, dispose of waste resin (can't just pour it down the sink as it'll damage plastic plumbing).

If you don't want monopose marines you'll also have to create a different 3D model for each one and convert to a toolpath.

Even if you sat at the machine 24/7 you aren't going to have that many. Realistically you're going to make one while you're at work, a couple in the evening and one over night.

The hassle involved isn't exactly trivial either.

>the point I was getting at in my whole post though, was that 3d printing is not an immediate issue for GW
Totally.

But we could see a suitable home printer in 3years if the process/material is invented tomorrow.

Or it might never be invented.

>Even at GW's prices, 3D printing will never get that cheap

This is how retarded you sound.

“There’s no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share.”
Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO (April 2007)

“There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.”
Ken Olson, president Digital Equipment Corp (1977)

"Remote shopping, while entirely feasible, will flop.”
Time Magazine (1966)

"Cellular phones will absolutely not replace local wire systems.”
Marty Cooper, inventor (1981)

>2 LBS of resin is FUCKING 12 DOLLAR
Bottles of printer ink are $5 for 250ml, what's your point?

If you think 3D printer makers aren't going to jew the shit out of people like regular printer makers did you're kidding yourself.

Actual dentist grade 3d printers can print for the whole day.
>If you don't want monopose marines you'll also have to create a different 3D model for each one and convert to a toolpath.

3d scanners exists. Scan 20 marines and queue them as you want. an ons will probably scan there army as they scan their books....

>"Hey johnny, ama telling you dear those motor thing are too complicated, nothing beats a good horse, at least I don't have to manually start the engine"
pic related.

For the third time in this thread you are acting like 3d printing will never improve.

forgot the pic related..

>3d scanners exists
3D scanners are worthless.

>Actual dentist grade 3d printers can print for the whole day.
Not unattended.

>For the third time in this thread you are acting like 3d printing will never improve.
Not that user but you're assumption that consumer 3D printers will ever support unattended production-lining is extremely farfetched (considering that commercial units still don't).

250 ml doesn't get you anywhere near a book retard.
2 LBS of resin gives you more than 1k point of space marines for 12 fucking dollar...

gee at least don't make it THAT obvious that you couldn't afford college man...

I love the 3D printer dreamers, they're in the same boat as VR faggots who buy into every new accessory. They're prophets of a revolution that no one really needs or wants.

They've always held the position that a computer game that is too mechanically similar to tabletop would compete directly with the actual tabletop game and would subsequently be bad for the profits.

Whether or not that is actually true is speculative, however it's certainly possible and the traditional model of licensing the IP and the game being developed and published by other companies probably wouldn't be good for GW if they were making a carbon copy of the tabletop game.

In order to actually make it a significantly profitable long-term project they'd have to develop and publish it themselves, which would be expensive and risky.

This

No one likes to hear muh free figs is just a meme

>250 ml doesn't get you anywhere near a book retard
Each bottle is about 5K pages. (Depends on printer but it's equivalent to 7-8 high capacity cartridges that get you 800+ pages each.) So you're completely wrong.

Also
>Missing the point.

Do you really think that mass market 3D printers are going to let you buy your own resin by the bottle? That 2lb bottle is going to be 10x $50 cartridges.

>an ons will probably scan there army as they scan their books...
Most anons are way too fucking lazy to borrow a book and scan it - just look at all the pdf begging threads. Even converting epub to pdf is too hard for them.

Do you think they're going to buy a 3D scanner and scan a bunch of minis (which is much more expensive and requires way more manual post process even for a shit result)?

Yeah, they don't cast because it's too much work, they don't have a CNC laser too make scenery because $700 is too much but any day now they'll be able to buy a 3D printer for $100, download some shit off piratebay and next morning they'll have a new army.

Literally any day!

Look how much better the iPhones that my mummy buys me have gotten. It'll be just the same with 3D printing.

this sadly

I was thinking about a CNC laser, but then I saw that to get a good one that you can fit big pieces on, it is like 2000 dollars

If you are OK with small pieces and LOTS of burning, you can get a 1 watt CNC laser cutter/engraver for like 250 bucks

I am actually thinking of getting one for cutting paper. Surely a 1 watt laser can cut paper.

Pretty much this. I'll even concede maybe not in the next 10 years...nah, you know what? Fuck that, 10 years at the very outside before GWs business model of "sell little resin men at loony prices" is toast. Cap dis shit.

The difference is all of those things provided a product a large number of people wanted and needed

Figs are a niche and become even more niche as time progresses

Statistics are not on your side

The only way we're going to get cheap hi-res consumer 3D printing is with a new process that requires no solvents and a machine + software so simple that the Martha Stewart crafts and scrapbook crowd can use them. They are way more mass market than us.

I've got a decent Co2 laser, you can do some pretty cool shit with it. The dust & fumes (even with extraction), cleaning, etc. is a pain in the balls though.

Sold my filament 3D printer because everything it made looked like shit and long term stability of prints was a problem.

Sold my Form1 because it still wasn't good enough and long term stability of prints was still a problem. Keeping a bath of IPA around the place and disposing of the waste resin was a hassle as well.

All these idiots rambling on about
>Muh 3d printers
And I'm just sitting here with 2 companies of recast noise marines, Defilers, Land Raiders, Predators, Dreadnoughts, terminators, a few hundred Daemons, hell I've got a pair of Warhound I duped in miliput from a master I bought just to prove I could.

See, unlike 3d printing, I put resin in and an army on sprues falls the fuck out.

>moulding and casting
But that's too hard and the resin smells. Any day I'll be able to get a 3D printer and it will be super cheap and easy and just as good. /Whinyfaggot

if they did this they wouldn't be able to sell models for $100

Or, you could buy a 3D printer that uses filament. I use one to print out at least four 1:100 ww2 tanks every 24 hours, and little post processing is required. If anybody ever gets motivated to create and spread STL files of sprues GW is kill.

Teach me

Digital Tabletop could make GeeDub a fuckton of money via tournaments by attracting normies

>Ten years ago 3D printing had just been invented
GW has been actively using 3D modeling and rapid-prototyping in their manufacturing process for at least twelve years.

They're fairly ahead of the curve compared to their competitors. largely because they've been around for so long.

>Muh Roolz
>Muh Priceez
>Muh Meeneez
You can leave at any time, faggot. Based Rountree is making GW great again

>GW has been actively using 3D modeling and rapid-prototyping in their manufacturing process for at least twelve years.
And they were amazingly shit at it. They produced the most amazingly flat and lifeless models that resembled the engravings on coins, and only got better once they realized they should stick to putty prototyping after all.

>filament
Of you don't mind models that look like shit then why not just use a simple press mould? You'll get better results than a filament printer.

They don't look like shit though. The individual layers only appear visible to the naked eye at around 10 degrees from horizontal or so, and if you print vehicles - especially 40K vehicles - there is no noticeable quality loss from using moulds. The best thing is that it's completely automatic.

Actually, they do a mix of both now, which is pretty much the smartest thing to do.

This. It is the only way that 40k Online would work. Discourages counterfeiting, encourages learning the rules.

Lolwut? It's GW greatest nightmare, just think how they wiull sell all citadel hoibby stuff, like paintings, tools, dice glasses etc.

Buy Oyamaru. Buy miliput. Buy toothpicks. Practice getting good 2 part casts of models. Great thing about Oyamaru, it's completely reusable. You just put it in hot water and it goes soft.

When it comes to your models, cast them in components. Use toothpicks to make sure the miliput is pressed in all the little spaces. Generally you want quite a bit of oyamaru making up the molds haves. Using lego to help guide the shape of the mold is good too.

1d4chan has literally all the info you'll ever need.

Saw some guy on leddit making around 40 calth marines a weekend forbaround 78 cents a piece, they look picture perfect minus color. You at that stage yet?

But all Forgeworld models have their master copies 3D printed. It isn't bad for minis, it's just that you need to use SLA and sintering printers rather than filament ones which are really used for mechanical and engineering purposes.

My circle of friends actually became interested in the tabletop version after we started playing DoW. I'd wager that between the five or six of us, GW made at least $3000 in profits from the tabletop minis over the years.

That's a pretty fair return on their investment.

They can make it work with something like Amiibos

I was complaining about the use of 3D modelling, not 3D printing. Can you believe they were ever proud of monstrosities such as the Black Reach models?

Theyre will always be hobbyists in it for the actual painting and modelling.

A digital version wont win those people over.

This is literally the only reason to play tabletop games these days.

>Figs are a niche and become even more niche as time progresses
And how do you expect GW to maintain their current business model under those conditions, hmm? That's all the more reason for them to move their IP into vidya, comics, novels, TV series and whatever else can haul in the shekels. Marvel and DC did it, no reason at all why GW they can't. AND I WANT A SUPERMAN/40K CROSSOVER GODDAMMIT.

>This will be just like computers, onece it click everyone will want one

Yep, that's what everyone's been saying for more than 10 years now and it still hasn't come true.

And the way you type, you're the one who sounds "like complete idiot".

>the not!40k warmachines PC game

Uh... what?

Yes, with Noise marines. Got a bunch of prospero marines I turned into breachers for Zone Mortalis too. I use a vacuum chamber for most of my larger recast projects these days. makes replicating a shitload of troops/tanks easier.

Profits is not the same as Sales.

They already whore their IP out like crazy. You don't see TV and movies because 40k isn't mass appeal and no one wants to invest in that shit.

New CEO doesn't want to lose control over franchise.

Because then it would become even more obvious how bad rules of the current game are.

Also you can play 40k in digital format - Tabletop Simulator with some workshop models. I got a friend into 40k by playing Killteam with him this way.

Thats actually a great idea.

This tbph

Just play it on tabletop simulator

>SUPERMAN/40K CROSSOVER

Opinions discarded.

Filthy xeno infiltrator purged.