Music while role playing

Alright tg I have a story.

ill try to be as short as possible

ok so I'm going to that socially anxious friend of mine's place to play some gurps with 3 other cool guys.

>socially anxious friend just created a sci fi setting
>he says he has some cool futuristic music to go with it
>as he explains the setting he plays the so called cool futuristic music

>mfw the briefing music of Golden Eye 64 plays

youtu.be/w4cUuJpc7b8?t=1m41s for ref

>I'm the only one smiling no one seems to notice
>one of them comments saying ''it's a weird ambiance music but I love it, where did you find it?''
>I'm holding back laughter
>anxious friend says it is a secret
>he isn't saying this because he is proud of the music he found
>he is actually stressed about revealing he just used golden eye 64 ost
>he doesn't make eye contact with me the whole time

anyway, what kind of music you listen to while playing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/YA38ffX1AHo?t=28m5s
youtube.com/watch?v=67RWfljNQoI
youtube.com/watch?v=dtnNO5_Ao6U
youtube.com/watch?v=pSkH-p1EW1o
youtube.com/watch?v=MC64gKvh5R8
youtube.com/watch?v=pHp9oZPqs8E
youtube.com/watch?v=78N2SP6JFaI
youtube.com/watch?v=IgncJgSbbck
youtube.com/watch?v=kRZAk2rfESU
youtube.com/watch?v=AFa1-kciCb4
youtube.com/watch?v=q7xsh7DcFcc
youtube.com/watch?v=2QlplayAjM4
youtube.com/watch?v=c1KNZNGT5_w
youtube.com/watch?v=m9We2XsVZfc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

last bump

That's kind of cute. I have a clicker behind the screen that changes the music on my ipod to the next item on the track, which is helpful, since I don't have to get up and fiddle with an ipod, which is immersion-breaking as fuck. Typically, I use low-key hammered dulcimer, lute, etc. music. I particularly like stuff with a "celtic" feel. Brian Boru's march is a favorite, as is The Foggy Dew (Instrumental, ofc.) There's also plenty of ambient music people on Youtube, and it's pretty easy to find a good one which fits your game.

Speaking of ambient music (and this is something I'd never use for ttrpgs), does anyone else like Wardruna? It's probably my favorite stuff to have on when I'm relaxing or carving something. Since it's Old Norse, which I don't know at all, the vocals aren't distracting, and the music itself is cool. The SFX are amazing. There was one track on one of their albums which had this orgasmic snow crunching sound.

Found it.
youtu.be/YA38ffX1AHo?t=28m5s

But yeah, that's non-gaming stuff. I find that vocals, no matter how unobtrusive they are when you're doing something on your own, are total anathema to tabletop.

That's fucking gold, 10 points to your GM.

I use things like tabletopaudio to represent background audio the characters might be hearing. Sometimes our Guitar Guy decides to stray away from whatever's passing for a Wonderwall expy this week long enough to play something vaguely bard-ish when his character's entertaining.

I make it a point to never use any music that my players might recognize. One time I accidentally played the GoT theme (included in the playlist without thinking) and my players immediately derailed everything for 30 minutes.

One CD I highly recommend is the Dungeons and Dragons CD by Midnight Syndicate. It does an amazing job of just blending into the background, and as long as you're not really paying any attention to it, it just seems to fit the mood
youtube.com/watch?v=67RWfljNQoI

ohh thats a neat idea

you should lookup faun too if you like that

>the bonus track

I stopped playing music in one of my campaigns when one player started recommending rap music over and over, insistently, and it became easier to game in silence.

Lately, I just use anime soundtracks, like Yamato 2199,
since I can be fairly confident that most of my gaming group hasn't seen that much anime.

I guess if I had a different group, I'd probably use movie soundtracks that no one really paid attention to- I don't think that many people recognize Synechdoche, NY's soundtrack or Lord of War's soundtrack.

Otherwise I may be fucked.

Since I'm a giant weeb, anime soundtracks.
My dream is to pull off the "opening comes on during last battle" cliche

I would leave t.b.h user

that's fine, since I made that choice knowing my players wouldn't mind.

I've always wished to have custom made music for my RPG that I could play. A song for different situations and areas, kind of like how computer RPGs have. I've even thought about doing a Chrono Trigger game, just because that game has god tier music, and none of my group have ever played it.

Two main problems would be switching between songs, and most versions that I've found fade out at the end, and so don't lend themselves to continuous play.

>A song for different situations and areas
I tried doing that sorta thing at first, but then I found that repeating the track for an hour got stale. I switched to playlist for an area and that was a lot better, just randomizing through a list of a couple 3-4 minute tracks felt a lot better.

>most of my gaming group hasn't seen that much anime
I do this, but it always comes back to bite me because one of my players have a tendency to ask about the origin of a track if they find it cool.
>sweatingintensifies.gif

I use a lot of Low Roar and Alt-J for my Bloodborne-style campaign at the moment, in addition to a bunch of bits and pieces from the OST.

I'm running a pioneering/new world game, so I use a lot of Wild Arms tunes since it has that right mix of spaghetti western that I enjoy.

Kinda looking to expand on that genre though. Anyone got recommendations?

How is it that nobody recognized the James Bond theme in that? That has to be one of the most recognizable stings in existence. Well, then I've got some recommendations of pieces for you to incorporate into your next RPG that they probably won't recognize either.

youtube.com/watch?v=dtnNO5_Ao6U
youtube.com/watch?v=pSkH-p1EW1o
youtube.com/watch?v=MC64gKvh5R8
youtube.com/watch?v=pHp9oZPqs8E
youtube.com/watch?v=78N2SP6JFaI
youtube.com/watch?v=IgncJgSbbck
youtube.com/watch?v=kRZAk2rfESU
youtube.com/watch?v=AFa1-kciCb4
youtube.com/watch?v=q7xsh7DcFcc
youtube.com/watch?v=2QlplayAjM4
youtube.com/watch?v=c1KNZNGT5_w
youtube.com/watch?v=m9We2XsVZfc

I make different playlists for different emotions I want to convey during the campaign with music from video games, movies or just music that fits very well.

It does wonders to create tension or the lack off. One time I even spooked the players enough to make them run for their lives even though the fight wasn't going to be that hard.

Fuckin kek

Dungeon synth.

>bloodborne campaign
Ever heard of Alex Roe?

HOw did that guy not know this was a james bond theme? looks like the guy who asked is the embarrassing guy.

I have to assume that everyone was humouring the GM, or that it was some sort of joke OP wasn't in on. story's too weird

Good man