What do you fa/tg/uys suggest to use for a system for a Magical Girl based game...

What do you fa/tg/uys suggest to use for a system for a Magical Girl based game? Specifically a Monster of the Week fighting sort of one like Sailor Moon or Precure. Most of the setting intended for Magical Girl settings I've seen seem to be pretty Madoka based which isn't really what I'm looking for.

Other urls found in this thread:

crisisheroine.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/48242575/
discord.gg/e58sCGq
discord.gg/rKE7twu
pastebin.com/wTMU8JjX
pastebin.com/ArCvYAPt
streamable.com/7ndh
twitter.com/AnonBabble

crisisheroine.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page

Mutants and Masterminds

Use a superhero system of your choice or build on Golden Sky Stories.

Sailor Moon RPG

1: Not even a complete translation yet. Wait.

2: Literally battle fuck the rpg is not what people want for Sailor Moon or Precure.

GURPS.

There's bound to be some PbtA system that can handle this. Maybe Masks or Worlds in Peril. Could also try Strike!, or if you actually want to build your powers yourself, M&M/GURPS/HERO.

1. The translation is progressing at an incredible rate.
2. It's the closest thing I could think of.

>There's bound to be some PbtA system that can handle this.
And that system is bound to be mediocre at best.

>And that system is bound to be mediocre at best.

Says the guy who recommends the battlefuck RPG.

I'm pretty sure your opinions on the quality of RPGs can be safely ignored.

>1. The translation is progressing at an incredible rate.
I know it is. I've been working on it.

2. It's the closest thing I could think of.
Ehhhh....

Honestly. Mutants and Masterminds as a base would work, though the point buy system is pretty rough for first time players. I'd suggest having the players make PL2-4 characters (still impressive for normal humans) for their normal form, then have the transformation make them into PL8-10 equivalent characters with the transformation powers and the like pre-built by the GM.

But at that point you're using MnM as a baseline to make your own rpg...

I'm currently in a game in the Nanoha setting using Legends of the Wulin.

It might seem like an odd fit,given that it's originally a system for Wuxia stuff and it certainly isn't a system for everyone, but for a certain style of group and game it works very well.

LotW is an odd combination of a mechanically crunchy yet very abstract and narrative system, focusing on the broad themes and flow of a fight rather than trying to represent things in nitty gritty detail. The combat mechanics themselves are the best in any RPG I've ever played, and are also very flexible- Talking down your opponents is built right into the core combat system, as well as Nanoha style befriending with copious violence.

It is a crunchy system, so some groups might dislike that, and it's not without problems. The core book is one of the worst edited productions I have ever seen come out of a professional studio, dear god it's a clusterfuck, and it has some core balance problems which need tweaking to make the system run smoothly- My group has a big old list of houserules we use when we play. But damn if it isn't an incredibly entertaining system which is really good at capturing the feel of the genre and supporting it mechanically- Having the support of your friends can be a mechanical bonus. We've had fights quite literally decided by teamwork and friendship. It's fuckin' great.

Are you the same guy that originally told the tale of using Wulin for Nanoha and had a rather long storytime, or are you a different guy?

Same group, different person. The game is still ongoing and we should see another storytime update at some point.

Seconding GURPS for the most metal magical girl experience

Why is this getting translated and I'm still waiting for Golden Sky Stories books? Who would even run that?

I remember your storytimes. And then you just vanished. Sad tmes.

Because those require shipping, ripping, scanning, and then translating while this was already online?

GSS has long been fully translated and is available as a pdf.

Because the Discord group has weird priorities.

The guy in our group who did the writeups has had his hands full with his recently born third child, so while he wants to do another one it might be quite a while.

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/48242575/ was the most recent part, and there will be another one eventually.

Show me this magical discord.

discord.gg/e58sCGq
stay away from the gay weed channel it's a dump

There's a popular homebrew system on Veeky Forums for magical girls. Look in the archive for accidental magical girl general, and see if either of the two tickle your fancy. There's also Magical Burst but its notoriously love/hate among its players.

Link expired?

discord.gg/rKE7twu

First post best post

My GM us about to run a game of it

Never actually played it, but Tokyo Heroes is pretty much made specifically for Sentai teams and Magical Girls.

It was also never finished

How'd it go?

GURPS just released a supplement for this, this week

GURPS seems intensely unsuited to anything as fluffy and light as standard magical girl fare.

I support this system, as well.

(pls use SCS, SCS needs more love)

>Most of the setting intended for Magical Girl settings I've seen seem to be pretty Madoka based which isn't really what I'm looking for.
Just ignore the fluff. AMGC and SCS players run a variety of campaigns within the same cannon. Literally the creepy Chuu sample dialog is the only madoka part.

>fluffy and light
>magical girl fare

t. someone who only got into the magical girl genre when madoka aired

light and fluffy is fucking boring mate. if i wanted a children's cartoon i'd fucking watch a children's cartoon.

So you're completely ignorant of the genre then, got it.

how do you have fun playing a game that's trying to emulate a cartoon for little kids?

That's literally what this thread is for.

shitposting aside i really don't understand how you could have fun with it. there's no tension in kid's shows, what you're emulating, so it's boring. how would the game be any different?

Because things are more complicated than that and all you're showing is that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Your question is fundamentally flawed because its based on false assumptions rooted in ignorance.

>there's no tension in kid's shows
You might want to actually watch some of those shows before you talk shit.

Posting for reference

expansion pack thing pastebin.com/wTMU8JjX

i have watched some of those shows and that's what it was. for example, i've watched two precures, futari wa and heartcatch, both of which i dropped a few episodes in because there was no tension. fights looking cool doesn't matter when there aren't any stakes, problems with other characters aren't entertaining because there aren't any stakes, etc. there's no tension, even fake tension (futari was better about having some tension but the lame reused finisher every episode got fucking boring).
can you point me to any shows that aren't tensionless borefests like those two are? or are you going to say i just didn't get it, or that i didn't watch them until they actually got good, or some other retarded excuse?

I'm a big fan of the Nanoha series, although the original aged badly. The movie is great though, look it up.

more expansions pastebin.com/ArCvYAPt

is it anything like this? streamable.com/7ndh
because vivid strike is trash but it's fun as hell trash.

Oh I see, you want tension from the battle not the overall plot. Yeah, I guess I could see how the Precure style of beating up the MotW to weaken it and then using a finishing beam on it could get boring to some.

Stop shilling Strike!

Why does Veeky Forums keep shilling Strike!?

Somewhat. Vivid Strike is set in the same universe, Nanoha is Vivio's mom, but the various series have quite different tones.

The Nanoha franchise is odd, as it's a magical girl show aimed at mecha fans, mixing quite lighthearted magical girl fare with some pretty damn dark plot points and awesome fight scenes. Well worth a watch IMO.

I don't know why you're complaining about this given that there's a company that owns the rights to GSS. Go shout at Ewen Cluney to translate GSS books instead of making his own stupid little RPGs. It'll be more productive than getting pissed at a group that doesn't have access to the books to even translate the damn thing in the first place.

>Ewen Cluwey
That man is a hack and a sellout. I wonder how his games managed to get WORSE after Magical Burst.

honestly can't give two shits about the plot in anything. movies, books, rpgs, games, shows, etc. it just doesn't interest me at all.

i'll try it out thanks

>the original aged badly
Why? Should I not watch it?

seconding 's question.
I keep hearing the name nanoha recently, want to at least get some of what Im missing.

The first season was groundbreaking in many ways but these days the pacing is off and the animation is subpar, IMO it isn't worth it. Nanoha The Movie First basically retells the same general story with better pacing and better animation throughout. Oddly, The Movie First is actually an in-universe movie, there's japanese voice commentary of the characters watching and commenting on the movie from an in universe perspective.

After the first season/movie though, I'd highly recommend watching the second season, Nanoha A's.Better plot, better pacing, better animation, generally considered the best of the series. The movie version is also good, although you lose some of the depth of storytelling with the shorter length. Still, it's fun in its own right.

StrikerS, the third season, is very much a mixed bag. Lots of great worldbuilding and some fun new characters, but the pacing is pretty dreadful and you have to slog through some relatively slow, dull bits. The payoff is great though, with the last two episodes being utterly fantastic.

Then there's Vivid and Vivid Strike, which are weird spinoffish things about a younger generation of mages doing strike arts.

I suppose I should also mention Force, which was an attempt to make Nanoha ultra dark and grim and gritty in manga form, but was thankfully cancelled because holy fuck it sucked so bad.

I've watched through Nanoha, Nanoha A's, and half of Nanoha StrikerS. It is absolutely a treat to watch.

>if i wanted a children's cartoon i'd fucking watch a children's cartoon.
So, most magical girl shows?

/thread

This. Any supers game, really, can pull off magical girls convincingly.

>dropped heartcatch
There's a special place in hell for people like you.

No, actually t. someone who watched Sailor Moon and saw how dark that got.

Wasn't the creator of Sailor Moon on record saying she really wanted to kill off more of the girls?

Do the PreCure series acknowledge how many different Pretty Cures there are?

>it's a magical girl show aimed at mecha fans
Except for StrikerS, which is a "life in the magical military" show; ViviD, which is magical Rocky; Innocents, which is "buy our card game (also loli Fate in a cheerleader outfit)"; Force, which didn't happen and now Strike, which is magical Rocky 2.

Considering she killed all of them by the end of season 1, I doubt it. I think she wanted them to stay dead, though.

Apparently the Sailor Moon manga is very different from the anime. I don't know if Crystal rectified that.

No. Not in their main series, at least. The newcomers in the All Star movies (which are their own continuity) always seem surprised to find all the other Cures, however.

And some seasons acknowledge that there are/were more than are immediately shown in the season, especially HaCha.

Well, Mahou is only light and fluffy when you watched it from a censored and naive American child's perspective
A lot of them focus on underage+incestuous+gay and otherwise socially unacceptable relationships that often are portrayed as feeling guilty and needed to be kept secret, leaving childhood behind, embracing your newly pubescent body and sex appeal, ignorance and how even somebody you trust can have a hidden face that will fuck your shit (or at least secretly hate you), the limits of human beings, and a few get really into the "side characters": unexceptional secondary and tertiary who aren't cute, energetic, and pure like protagonist-chan fall behind and brutally (and sometimes humiliatingly) need to set aside their own hope and esteem as they fall out of plot relevance.

As I said, the Nanoha franchise is odd. As you might expect from a magical girl show full of references to Super Robot Wars and Ace Combat.

That still doesn't make GURPS good for it, unless it somehow picked up a narrative anime drama supplement.

There's BigEyesSmallMouth, it's sort of like a point buy supers game but with distinct anine flavouring, all the way to having a special trait for magical girl transformations

>BigEyesSmallMouth
Got a pdf?

Give me 3 hours to finish work and I'll hook you up, just watch the thread

There's a system called Aniventure.

The current print version has terrible art because when it went up for sale all of the pictures (which were just pictures of anime) had to be taken out so were replaced with the writers random drawings.

But it's designed specifically that you can do any anime settings in it, and some beyond that.

Is it good?

ayyy even got v1.7

bless you

Say, what do you think of the whole community "split"?

If you want hard fighting military men, robots, and cowboys alongside fairy princesses and wizards, accept no substitute.

Contain that drama to the general.

>None of my RPG friends want to play a CCS based game
>Don't even know how I'd do it regardless.

I'm a bit miffed

>you play as the magical girl with fucking awesome magical powers over the elements, time, light, dark, etc.
>you play as the generic boy that's the DESIGNATED love interest of the aforementioned magical girl
>you play as a lesbian with a camera
>you play as a martial arts girl with an incestuous crush on her cousin, which is the aforementioned boy
Dare you enter my magical realm?

The problem is dark stuff has gotten so much screen time with magical girls it's now more boring to me than fluffy shows like Pretty Cure which still have tension and great action without deciding violent murder is necessary to motivate teenage girls.
I literally rather watch things actually aimed at people a third my age because it has flaming kung fu kicks and the power of friendship and hope, than I would more people trying and failing to imitate Madoka- including Madoka itself via jumping the shark.

Because let's be real, what would you rather be watching- Pretty Cure? Or that new edgy Magical Girl Raising Project show? Which is so edgy and try hard at copying Madoka that their evil mascot fairy rip off reminds me more of Monokuma than anything.

I'd rather be watching Magical girl Ikusei than precure any day. It's pretty good and has been running as a light novel series since 2012, while precure is LITERALLY a show for children. Sorry, not interesting in it at all.

It'd be cool just doing it in the CCS world itself
>Ghosts/spirits are real, you can do stuff with that
>The Cards could be a system all on their own
>Relatedly, the central elements could do cool stuff for magic
>The spirits of those cards/elements have the potential to also be their own system
>Ancient, immortal magician with tons of powers.

You could have picked almost any other mahou shoujo to compare to Precure if you don't like Precure, but you chose a terrible, terrible show/manga.

Not even a precure fag, but end yourself.

I picked that one because he fucking mentions it. Why don't you try reading a post chain before replying like a dumb motherfucker.

ps It's not terrible

It's all different worlds with different creation myths. Mind you, ever since Heartcatch Precure has been a lot less cosmic. Thanks, Obama.

Just noticed but

>tripfag
>terrible taste in shows
>unaware of this terrible taste

Opinion discarded

What about playing Flip Flappers?

But why is she wearing an skirt over pants?

Congratulations, you've accomplished being more elitist than a tripfag. I bet you thought yuki yuuna was bad too.

I certainly did not - I loved Yuuki Yuuna. Excited for WaSuYu

Yuki Yuuna was fine. Precure is fine. Magical Battle Royale is shock for the sake of shock.

Is it really shock when the show tells you exactly what you're going to get?

rizon.net/chat
main channel: #MGCYOA

Community's a bit split between the Discord and the IRC. Here's the IRC link

Cinematic rules are a thing.

>tfw she will never hear her tsukkomi Ruby again

wha