/4eg/ - 4e General

D&D 4e General /4eg/

What is your favourite 4e houserule? Houserules edition.

If you are GMing, remember to use Monster Manual 3/Monster Vault/Monster Vault: Nentir Vale/Dark Sun Creature Catalog math. Avoid or manually update anything with Monster Manual 1 or 2 math.

If you would like assistance with character optimization, remember to tell us what the what the rest of the players are playing, what books are allowed, your starting level, the highest level you expect to reach, what free feats you receive, if anything is banned, whether or not themes are allowed, your starting equipment, and how much you dislike item-dependent builds.
If you wish to talk about settings, 4e's settings are Points of Light (the planes and the natural world's past empires are heavily detailed in various sourcebooks and magazines), 4e Forgotten Realms, 4e Eberron, 4e Dark Sun, and whatever setting you would like to bring into 4e.

Useful resources: pastebin.com/85Hm56k5
Online compendium: funin.space/

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz#F!REQ3iBST!3rWAyA2wX2HtrJF_CNcNBA
funin.space/compendium/power/Silent-Malediction.html
funin.space/compendium/power/Despised-of-the-Gods.html
funin.space/compendium/power/Forced-Submission.html
funin.space/compendium/power/Knives-of-the-Soul.html
funin.space/compendium/power/Malediction-of-Blindness.html
funin.space/compendium/glossary/Action-Types.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Martial rapiers were a mistake.

>What is your favourite 4e houserule?

Versatile expertise (but not the specific expertise feats with other bonuses) and improved defenses for free.
Although I do wonder what the best level to give those out is. Level 1 is too early, I'm sure. When does the math actually break?

>What is your favourite 4e houserule?
Martial practices for everybody!

I usually opt for level 4 on expertise, 6 on improved defenses. A bit earlier than required, but those are the levels I've most often seen used to take those feats.

People wait until level 4 for expertise?

I'm sure a fighter with a longsword and one handed weapon talent or a dagger rogue could afford waiting. For some classes or hybrids an AC feat at level 1 might be more important. Can't think of what level 2 would be for them instead though.

From what I've seen, it varies a lot for hybrids. It's either an initiative increaser or something build-defining, with a possibility open for weapon proficiencies. You can't postpone it past level 4, though, unless it's something stupidly vital that needs level 4 like running a Fighter|Warden MC Ranger build to snag Invigorating Stride which would push Expertise to Level 6, but you wouldn't be running something that wasn't a Longsword or a Rapier until that point.

>Can't think of what level 2 would be for them instead though.
The 'do your striker damage a second time with an AP' feats, typically.

If you are still here, "melee sorcerer" person, did you receive word from your GM on whether you will be starting at level 3 or at level 5, and what free tax feats you are entitled to?

I cannot see initiative feats being higher-priority than Expertise feats, class feats, defense feats, and so on.

Likewise, I cannot see these feats being that crucial compared to Expertise feats and similar taxes. It helps to land attacks in the first place rather than aiming for slightly better burst damage every other encounter.

Expertise is +1 to hit at heroic. +1 on a d20.

How heavily homebrewed are your current games?

I'm in a superheavily homebrewed 4e game and it's a bit hard to gauge the balance of characters because of it.

Expertise is a +1 to a d20 roll you'll be rolling a significant amount of the time as opposed to conditional feats.

Branching off from the discussion in the last thread, I am thinking of producing a series of "fully optimized" level 10 melee warlords so as to highlight the differences and similarities between such top-optimized heroic-tier warlords, and showcase which of them would fit what kinds of parties best.

Should I assume a free Expertise feat?
Should I assume a free Expertise feat *and* a free Improved Defenses?
Should I assume no free feats at all, so as to be free of house rules?
Should I assume that a Rhythm Blade Spiked Shield +1 is legal or illegal?
Should I assume that an Ioun's Revelation +1 is legal or illegal?

Would anyone even be interested in this as a showcase?

It can also spell the difference between an important power missing or hitting.

I can, but it's mostly on guys that wanna go first. I can see Battlewise coming 1st level on a Cleric|Invoker, and then Mighty Crusader Expertise. Or a Tiefling Bard|Warlord might pick up Imperious Majesty. That said, not all will take Expertise at that level, and if you're a Human why the fuck are you picking it at 4th Level, that's too delayed.

>It can also spell the difference between an important power missing or hitting.
And +2d6 damage can mean the difference between a monster dying or surviving long enough to get another turn.

I think you should run three, assuming free Expertise, free Expertise+Improved Defenses, no feats at all, and using Inherent Bonuses, but if not, then do not assume Rhythm Blade Spiked Shields or Ioun's Revelations are legal.

>If you are still here, "melee sorcerer" person, did you receive word from your GM on whether you will be starting at level 3 or at level 5, and what free tax feats you are entitled to?

It me. It'll be level 5 and both versatile expertise and improved defenses are free.
Currently I'm looking at
1. Unarmored Agility
2. Ancient Soul
4. Accurate Staff

I noticed that ancient soul also adds the bozak draconian arcane blood damage as well. I still haven't decided between honorable blade thunder or ice, or just running no specific elemental shenanigans at all. I know for sure that I won't be using the rod of the dragonborn because I love rod of ruin and shard of the mage too much.

I would have both expertise and improved defenses free for the purpose of this because it will help highlight the differences of the builds, which is the whole point. That's two more feats that could be distinct depending on the build. And the more different (while still optimized) these are the better it will illustrate results.

Even assuming you play a cleric|invoker with Dexterity modifier +0 and Wisdom modifier +5, Battlewise is not as high-priority as an Expertise feat. You lack powers that you *absolutely must go first* to effectively use at levels 1-2; Thunder of Judgment is very flexible on enemy positioning, and it is unlikely you will start off in a good position to rush in for a Silent Malediction.

I would also take Staff Expertise (as usual) over Mighty Crusader Expertise. Maintaining both a magic two-handed weapon and a magic holy symbol is inconvenient, and a cleric|invoker has only simple weapon proficiency anyway, so the character may as well be given a standard-issue Accurate Staff of Ruin.

>Or a Tiefling Bard|Warlord might pick up Imperious Majesty.
It does not seem that high-priority for a bard|warlord specifically (I would sooner take Bard of All Trades or Hybrid Talent); a better case would be a tiefling paladin or hybrid paladin opting for Imperious Majesty first. That is a good case for an initiative feat at level 1.

Once every other encounter, as opposed to every single time you make an attack roll.

A rogue is best-off with Backstabber at level 1, and any Warlock's Curse-taking warlock should be taking Mindbite Scorn if they qualify for it or Killing Curse otherwise.

If I create sample Resourceful, Tactical, Inspiring, Bravura, Skirmishing, *and* Insightful warlords, then having three copies of each would increase my workload tremendously. I would rather not do such a thing.

If you had to choose a *single* permutation of legal options, what would it be?

I still insist that Dragonfear is absolutely superior to spending a feat on Ancient Soul on a non-rebreather build (combat advantage and an attack penalty on enemies in a burst 5 is amazing for a minor action), but it seems I cannot convince you on this.

If you really, *really* want to have Dragon Breath all the same, I would recommend fire as your damage type. It will be a long while before level 11, and in the meantime, you can enjoy being an Infernal Prince with a +1 bonus to fire attack rolls (e.g. Dragon Breath, Blazing Starfall, Burning Spray, Explosive Pyre, Flame Spiral).

If you would rather plan for level 11+, take cold damage. It is a golden opportunity for Lasting Frost + Wintertouched.

>help highlight the differences of the builds, which is the whole point
And what is your stance on a Rhythm Blade Spiked Shield +1 and an Ioun's Revelation +1? If I am interpreting correctly, they would prefer to have neither in the builds. What of you?

Optimized at level 10 is kind of odd, considering I believe 4e really shines in paragon tier.

It would be simplest with no free feats, and maybe add a comment on what feat to add if there is a free feat.

Rhythm Blade spiked shield is a little cheesy but I'm not super opposed to it. Especially if none of these builds would otherwise want to go two handed. I actually wasn't aware of Ioun's Revelation as an item. I would be less inclined to choose that one since it's a divine boon and so probably less likely to happen and requires roleplay devotion.

And I think I'll be happy with fire, yeah. Do you think there are any paragon paths that stand out over honorable blade, if I choose not to specialize purposefully in an element? Or multiclasses other than fighter that are more important, like nabbing blistering flourish?

You cannot be guaranteed to start at the paragon tier. Heroic tier optimization gives a better picture of how a build shapes up at the heroic tier, since the jump from level 10 to 11 is such a huge paradigm shift.

The Glee-Born and the Mithral Arm might be decent choices. The latter would let you have both Lightning Cuts and Spark Form, if you still plan on bringing along a dagger.

Honestly? No free feats, with a comment of what to take if free feats are given.

On the initiative debate, I always considered Leaders and Controllers to have rather high priority when it came to Initiative. You just make the path a lot safer for your Striker to wreck face, which is very useful.

>Favorite 4e Houserule?

Stands. Played once in a Steel Ball Run-inspired campaign. It was too fun. 「Revolver」was probably my favorote stand of all.

Also, I'd like to ask the CharOp guys here - how do you properly optimize a Striker than can be a good Striker throughout? So it won't drop off in Paragon, or instead only take off in Paragon.

>how do you properly optimize a Striker than can be a good Striker throughout?

That is a very general question. There are many striker builds that are solid throughout all tiers. As a very simple example on the lower end of the optimization scale, even a humble pure-classed warlock can be a serviceable single-target striker/controller, between Mindbite Scorn and Killing Curse at heroic, Twofold Pact and curse-spreaders at paragon, and Cursed Spells at epic.

Likewise, an assassin (executioner)|warlock charge-spammer and an Iron Soul monk only really drops off by the epic tier. A simple Brutal Scoundrel rogue or an archer ranger does not drop off that much either.

When optimizing characters for actual games, I concern myself with starting level and expected end level, then optimize from there, heavily prioritizing the early game due to the fact that campaigns can end unexpectedly.

Ok, supposing you are to optimize a game starting at level 6. Assuming you wanna play a Striker with a Leader bent, how would you pull that off?

It is very difficult to go wrong with a goliath cleric|ranger with Battle Cleric's Lore.

Strength 17+2+1, Constitution 10, Dexterity 13, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 15+2+1, Charisma 8.

Take Spiked Chain Training, Light Blade Expertise, Weapon Focus (Light Blades), and Battle Awareness. Other feats depend on what free feats you are entitled to.

Select Mighty Hew as your level 1 encounter attack power. Choose Lashing Leaves at level 7.

Wear Iron Armbands of Power and ensure that your spiked chain's enhancement bonus is up-to-date.

Enter the Kensei paragon path.

The build is very simple, yet effective.

Are there any other wrist items other than Iron Armbands of Power for anyone using melee?

At this point I'm wondering if I should just give permanent bonuses to the PC's melee damage since everyone takes it.

Are there any other good items that can use the slot?

The usual top contenders for the arms slot are Iron Armbands of Power, Bracers of Archery, a Rhythm Blade Spiked Shield or Wrist Razors, Bracers of Mighty Striking, or Bracers of the Perfect Shot, depending on the build.

If you are going to implement such a house rule, make it a +1 to +6 item bonus to implement and weapon damage rolls so as to be egalitarian to all builds, perhaps with an option to trade it out for something else if the character is a "lazy" warlord.

I am starting to think it would be pointless to compare optimal warlord builds like this after all. They would all seem to fall under the general heuristic of:

Party has good basic attacks, and better single-target attacks than multiattacks: Tactical is the best option, although you might still pick Resourceful Presence regardless.
Party has good basic attacks and good multiattacks: Strength/Intelligence-based Resourceful Presence should be your pick, though Tactical is still decent given the Tactical Assault feat.
No good basic attacks or multiattacks: Settle for Inspiring Presence.

Honorable Blade means a dragonborn can be using their dragonbreath up to three times an encounter.

I'm wondering if going with an Arkhosian Scepter in the off hand (Primordial Adept means dual implement spellcaster still works) is worth it, since it means dragonbreath will now be doing even more damage and have some real ass accuracy. On the other hand, this would mean giving up lightning cuts unless I wear a battle harness. But battle harness is good anyways so that might be fine.

Thundering breath also adds a push of 1 (thirteen CON in paragon). That makes me think if a Draconic Arrogance sorcerer can work. Plenty of good powers push (and solkara's wave from the theme). Although giving up blazing starfall or burning spray for dragonfrost doesn't seem worth it at all.

What's the best secondary for a warlord|barbarian, in your opinion?
Is such a build functional?

5e baby reporting in, does eldritch blast get two beams at level 5 like it does in 5e? Or am I stuck at one attack?

Things don't upgrade so linearly in 4e, and class features aren't nearly as important. It's more about power choices. At level five, you'll get a new list of daily powers to choose from.

>Honorable Blade means a dragonborn can be using their dragonbreath up to three times an encounter.
I am not so sure this would be particularly amazing on a non-rebreather, seeing how these are your level 11 action point feature and encounter attack power.

>Arkhosian Scepter
Much too expensive.

>Primordial Adept
This means not having a +1 bonus to fire attack rolls as an Infernal Prince. Remember that you are starting at level 5, and levels 10-11 are a long way away.

The barbarian hybrids best with the cleric for Battle Cleric's Lore, the paladin (cavalier) for defending and even a leader heal, and the warden for defending and a multiattack from Wildblood Frenzy.

The hybrid warlord would not seem as good a pairing with the hybrid barbarian.

I would favor Strength/Intelligence as a voidsoul (for psychic resistance on a low-Will build and Empty Mind) genasi barbarian|warlord. This would give the character decent AC and let them use Reorient the Axis and Lead the Attack well.

Eldritch Blast indeed does not upgrade all that much. It will not be your primary at-will power as a warlock or a hybrid warlock anyway; that would be any other warlock at-will, such as Hand of Blight, Dire Radiance, or Hellish Rebuke.

>I am not so sure this would be particularly amazing on a non-rebreather, seeing how these are your level 11 action point feature and encounter attack power.

An immediate reaction as the encounter power and a free action attack on an action point seem perfect for a striker. It seems like you don't really care for non standard action attacks, which is really weird when building strikers.

>Much too expensive.
Huh, I assumed that since a +3 one is level 12 it wouldn't be much more expensive than a regular level 11 magic weapon. That's too bad.

>This means not having a +1 bonus to fire attack rolls as an Infernal Prince. Remember that you are starting at level 5, and levels 10-11 are a long way away.

Oh yeah, I agree that infernal prince is better for actually playing. I just enjoy planning out things so I'm thinking up a paragon sorcerer for fun. And in that instance getting another encounter power that works with draconic arrogance and resounding thunder, along with a +2 power bonus to all damage, seems pretty good.

>An immediate reaction as the encounter power and a free action attack on an action point seem perfect for a striker. It seems like you don't really care for non standard action attacks, which is really weird when building strikers.

At level 11, assuming you have Strength modifier +5 and Constitution modifier +1, your Dragon Breath looks like the following:

Attack: 5 half level + 5 Strength modifier + 4 paragon dragonborn = +14 vs. Reflex
Damage: 2d6 paragon tier + 1 Constitution modifier + 5 Strength modifier + 2 paragon sorcerer + 2 bozak Arcane Blood = 2d6+10 (average 17).

Draconic Sidestep adds half your level as extra damage, but it requires you to wait for an enemy to flank you.

This is what the Demonskin Adept's Demon-Soul Bolts looks like at this level, assuming Charisma modifier +5, an Expertise feat, Implement Focus (Staffs), an Accurate Staff of Ruin +2 with a Siberys Shard of the Mage +1, Dual Implement Spellcaster, and a +2 enhancement bonus implement in the off-hand:

Attack: 5 half level + 5 Charisma modifier + 2 feat + 1 accurate + 2 Expertise = +15 vs. Fortitude
Damage: 1d8 + 5 Charisma modifier + 5 Strength modifier + 2 paragon sorcerer + 2 bozak Arcane Blood + 2 feat + 2 item + 1 dragonshard + 2 Dual Implement Spellcaster = 1d8+21 (average 25.5)

By the way, you get to make the attack from Demon-Soul Bolts a total of three times against a single target in a single standard action, on a paragon path whose action point feature gives you a +3 bonus to attack rolls.

When multiattacking and using non-standard-action attacks, it is important to bear in mind the quality of those attacks.

Demon soul bolts is excellent, I won't argue that. But dragon breath (especially with resounding thunder) is going to be working better with the sorcerer's strengths, which is spreading around damage. I know that focus fire is generally better, but there's a point where if you spread enough damage around it can end up taking down several monsters.

Dragon breath, action point, dragon breath, blazing starfall, blazing starfall is really appealing.
Demon soul bolts is one of the best powers a sorcerer can have but I like the whole package of honorable blade more. If not going with that, I'd sooner pick dragon guardian if going for a sorcerer path.

>but there's a point where if you spread enough damage around it can end up taking down several monsters.
And it will still be inferior to doling out a concentrated spike of damage to a single enemy.

You seem to be concerned about an action point nova round, in which case I would suggest looking into the Anointed Champion. (Reserve Maneuver away the level 11 encounter attack power.) That should give you your Charisma modifier as a bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls until the end of your turn.

Since you will have multiclassed into cleric just for this paragon path, pick up a Symbol of Victory as well.

For a Dragonborn fighter/barbarian hybrid, which is better for cold optimization? Winter Fury or Honorable Blade?

I know I could go kensei with a cold weapon, but kensei is really boring

Winter fury only changes untyped to cold, while honorable blade would add it to anything, including the few elemental powers barbs get

Theoretically, how would you do a "beastmaster" type character?

Easy mode: Feytamer is allowed, whips are flails

Medium mode: No feytamer/whips

Hard mode: No Sentinel Hybrid

My original concept was Warlord with feytamer, using your warlord powers to pass on attacks to the beast (also, Viper's strike), go into chainbinder to make maximum use of the whip.

>Warlord with feytamer, using your warlord powers to pass on attacks to the beast
You can do that?!

A fey beast companion and a druid (sentinel)'s animal companion both have rather weak attacks, so passing off free attacks to them (e.g. as a hybrid druid [sentinel]|warlord with the Fey Beast Tamer theme) would be wasteful.

A better way to go about this would be to take a hybrid druid (sentinel)|shaman with the Fey Beast Tamer theme and use the spirit as the main "beast," supplemented with summoned creatures.

Yes, but it is very weak.

I was thinking about focusing on a single beast, as opposed to 3 (although, playing what is 4 "bodies", 3 of them with supportive auras does sound rather fun).

In that case, try a single-classed shaman.

A Wisdom/Intelligence-based Elemental Spirit shaman can be a surprisingly effective enabler given Spirit Infusion.

Shaman

I was considering a more martial bent, somewhere where the character and the beast gets to work in tandem, preferably in melee, which is why my first idea was Warlord.

I guess a better way could be to put the enemy into a catch 22 with a polearm using defender maybe? Something like having the target marked and the PC behind the beast, so the target now has to decide between hitting the animal and triggering the mark punish, or hitting the PC with a ranged attack, triggering an opportunity from the animal.

I guess an even easier way would be vigilante justice riposte rogue, but that would depend entirely upon one at-will, which is eh.

>the Voynich Manuscript will never be deciphered

Nothing is stopping an enemy from simply shifting past the Medium-sized companion and attacking you in melee, or shifting away from the companion and attacking you from range.

Well, if it was marked then the shift would provoke.

Unless you mean the vigilante riposte rogue, in which case, good point, though it could be remedied with spiked chain training, as the opponent would still be within reach.

... actually if fey beast companion is allowed, you could do both by being a fighter | rogue hybrid with tempest style.

>Well, if it was marked then the shift would provoke.

Not from 2 squares away, short of special abilities such as that of the Polearm Master's level 16 feature.

That would be the idea, yes.

Also worth noting that if you were using a spiked chain (flail), it'd be pretty easy to also trip on your attacks I think, which would mean your opponent would need to spend a move action to stand up.

Or maybe some other method of tripping.

Beyond the Giant's Might Swordmage utility power, are there any other ways in 4e to increase your size?

I wish to go full kaiju mode in epic tier

At that point, your build is hardly different from a generic Polearm Master with Polearm Gamble.

This is effectively a Polearm Gamble build anyway, and such builds pair better with Heavy Blade Opportunity/Mark of Storm and Polearm Momentum to knock enemies prone as they try to get adjacent to you.

It still does make use of the pet in the sense that should the target 2 square away from you would attack you with a ranged attack, it'd still provoke an opportunity from him (something you can only do as a daily stance IIRC).

But yeah, I'm looking for something a bit different.

Mare's Body (wizard utility 16), Form of the Night Owl (druid attack 19), Form of the Life-Giver (Emerald Guardian attack 20), Nightmare Form (Legendary Witch attack 20), Unicorn Form (Legendary Witch attack 20), Giant's Might (swordmage utility 22), Primal Ape (druid daily 25), Draconic Form (Dragon Sovereign utility 26), Draconic Rampage (Dragon King utility 26), Elemental Transmogrification (Master Hierophant utility 26), Primordial Form (Emergent Primordial utility 26), and Wyrm Form (sorcerer attack 29) all either increase your size or set your size to a certain category. Those that set your size can, in fact, make a pixie suddenly Large or Huge.

All of these are daily powers.

The Sovereign Beast epic destiny's level 21 feature makes you Wild Shape into Large beasts.

Not quite, because unless the beast is positioned absolutely perfectly, the target could shift away from both you and the beast and then make a ranged attack.

But if he shifts, he provokes an attack from you anyway with polearm master, and probably gets knocked on his ass.

I think I finally see what you are aiming for now. You are aiming for a build that covers the contingency of having a marked enemy within 2 squares of you, and that enemy being able to make a ranged attack against you (if it has a ranged attack).

Considering how weak a companion's attacks are, it might as well take the meager opportunity attack and be done with it.

You have other things to worry about under such a build anyway, such as enemies with reach 2.

Right, I'm basically trying to set up any sort of lose-lose situation so the companion has a chance to actually attack from time to time, without eating the character's (likely to be much more useful) action in the process.

Ok, it looks like my best bet at getting as huge as possible is to either take giant's might and primordial form or giant's might and draconic form.

Probably either being a genasi barbarian/swordmage hybrid for primordial form, or just a plain dragonborn dragon sorcerer for draconic form

What modules/adventure paths have the best maps for forts and cities? Are there any that take place in the Feywild?
Where do I find details on PoL dwarven holds and Eldadrin citadels?
What is good loot to offer a early heroic party that is not magic weapons/armor or simply gold?

You should really just use druid summons with instinctive actions if that's your goal

I have an Insider account, do you want me to download all the dungeon magazine issues for 4e and post a giant zip of them all in this thread?

All of them are already in the big mega.
I just wanted to know where to go, rather than look thru.... 70+ individual pdfs to see if they perhaps had the information I was looking for.

The general recommendation I'd give in your case is to read through them all

Even if you don't find what you're looking for in each individual issue, you may find things that you'll want to know later down the line

It's what I did, and I think it really helped my DM-ing

Your best bet for dwarven city lore is the Hammerfast book. The Manual of the Planes and Heroes of the Feywild have articles on eladrin civilization, and Dragon Magazine #366 has an article on the eladrin city/citadel of Mithrendain.

I would if I didn't have less than a month to craft a further game.
This got sprung on me fairly last minute.
>Hammerfast book
I'm actually ordering that as we speak.
>The Manual of the Planes and Heroes of the Feywild have articles on eladrin civilization, and Dragon Magazine #366 has an article on the eladrin city/citadel of Mithrendain
Cool, thanksalot.
What fileshare would you use? Mega makes my pc cry bitch tears, literally, but if that is what you feel comfortable doing, I'll take it.

I don't know, I don't share files often

But I'd still need time to download them all, so you may as well use the mega link mega.nz#F!REQ3iBST!3rWAyA2wX2HtrJF_CNcNBA

>What is good loot to offer a early heroic party that is not magic weapons/armor or simply gold?

Consumables, ritual components and rituals (feel free to homebrew some), possibly familiars, boons, RP stuff.

Magic implements, arms slot items, feet slot items, hands slot items, head slot items, neck slot items, rings, waist slot items, and wondrous items are also "not magic weapons/armor or simply gold."

I would strongly recommend using the recommendation in page 125 of the Dungeon Master's Guide concerning a "wish list" written by each player.

>Magic implements, arms slot items, feet slot items, hands slot items, head slot items, neck slot items, rings, waist slot items
I mean items that are flavorful and would be found in an abandoned city. I am expressly trying to avoid things that add numbers to the players, because you are going to find gauntlets of ogre might sitting in a box in sitting area of someone's abandoned manor.
>DMG recommendation
Did that already, but I am looking for more. What has said is infinitely more useful, I am trying to avoid having magical items that just happen to be laying around for looters like the pcs to find.

If you have the offline builder, just open it up, go into "shop" and look through magic items in the categories that aren't weapons. There's lots of knick-knacks there. You could also add some quality of life magic items that are entirely useless for an adventurer, like self swirling tea-spoons or something.

There are a lot of flavorful magic items that don't simply add numbers. It would help to know the history of the place they're rooting around in

>because you are going to find gauntlets of ogre might sitting in a box in sitting area of someone's abandoned manor.
I am confused. You mean to say player will find such a thing or did you mean you don't want such a scenario?
And you know you could do such a thing. It's d&d after all; rich people could own all sorts of crazy things. A nobleman might have a fancy suit of armor displayed next to his hunting trophies or sword in the living room, all in an attempt to impress his visitors, and never have realized the gauntlets were actually magical. Or he may have been an avid collector of all sorts of artifacts, and simply have an entire room full of rare things he found or bought from around the world. Most of it could be mundane (but still rare) items but a few may actually ping magical. Maybe he has a little collection of animal carvings and one of two turn out to be jade horses or onyx dogs unbeknownst to anyone all those years. Hell the guy might have straight up been a retired adventurer and never got out of the habit of wearing cloaks of protection when he went out. He might have a hidden room full of relics from his old days.
There's tons of ways you could present this stuff without it seeming to be blatantly out of place

>Dragon Magazine #366 has an article on the eladrin city/citadel of Mithrendain
That's some good shit. The article's descriptions do make me wish it came with a map of the city though. Seems like it would make for a very unconventional city layout

bump

Doesn't Sentinel whop people with a staff? Sentinel|Cleric ain't bad.

>Sentinel|Cleric ain't bad.

I had proposed a cleric|druid (sentinel) here as an example of a top-notch leader/controller... for the heroic tier, dropping off at paragon relative to the usual perks of having a warlord in the party.

buuump
Who has ever seen a shifter or one of those weird crystal things in a game?
How surprised were you to see that Warforged exist in the PoL setting?

>Who has ever seen a shifter or one of those weird crystal things in a game?
One campaign I was in, That Guy played a longtooth shifter warden and I played a razorclaw shifter fighter. He whined that my Fort was all of 1 point higher than his, despite how I was playing a brawler that had lower AC. That whole campaign was a clusterfuck.

Also played in one campaign where there was a shifter ranger, but I can't remember which type.
>How surprised were you to see that Warforged exist in the PoL setting?
They are? Okay. I don't think I've ever played a 4e campaign in an established setting.

My first 4e character was a shifter. Seemed a natural choice for a wildblood warden

How would you properly handle risk vs reward in powers? I wanna try making some homebrew content for my game and that involves making some powers for a class, more or less. And the idea for the class is trading defense for offense.

Probably the same way some barbarian powers do it: Higher damage at the cost of granting combat advantage to your enemies.

That's the easy route I know, but i'm looking for something well, riskier. I know it's not really something that comes up in 4e, but I have been curious about something like larger penalties for bigger bonuses. Maybe it just wouldn't work well in 4e.

Well there's a bunch of powers that give the enemy a free MBA, which are of dubious quality. That's about as risky as a 4e power gets

Invokers have a bunch of powers that inflict status ailments on the caster for huge benefits, mostly they either have "Malediction" in their name or have extra effects if the Invoker has the covenant of Malediction

Examples:
funin.space/compendium/power/Silent-Malediction.html
funin.space/compendium/power/Despised-of-the-Gods.html
funin.space/compendium/power/Forced-Submission.html
funin.space/compendium/power/Knives-of-the-Soul.html
funin.space/compendium/power/Malediction-of-Blindness.html

RESURRECTION

Bravura warlords do something like that.

Could someone break down what can be possible in 4e in terms of a round?

Is there a cheat sheet for the system?

>Could someone break down what can be possible in 4e in terms of a round?

If I understood what you want correctly, read PHB1 pages 264-295.

Alternatively, if you mean "how much of a badass you can be", in a recent game I, on a high heroic striker over the course of one turn (not round), moved 14 squares, murdered a standard controller/leader monster, and moved 11 more squares back to reposition myself away from "here be flanking" before any monsters got to act.
For reference, 25 squares total in 6 seconds is about 23kph.

funin.space/compendium/glossary/Action-Types.html

You mean something like this?

There's supposed to be a very useful 4e compendium DM screen, check the pastebin links maybe it's in there somewhere.

Your turn:
Move or Minor Action
Minor Action
Standard Action
Action Point (an extra of one of the above actions)
Free Actions (unlimited, but only one free action attack)

Other turns:
Opportunity Action (one every turn)
Immediate Interrupt/Reaction (only one per round)
Free Actions (only if triggered, one attack only)

I believe the official 4e DM screens were actually very good

Technically you don't need to write "Move or minor action", only "move action", because every action can be "downgraded" to take the action slot of any "larger" action. So you can spend a standard action to use a move action, or a standard action to use a minor action.

Also, the "One attack only" rule for free actions only applies on a per-turn basis

>because every action can be "downgraded" to take the action slot of any "larger" action.
I meant to point that out, forgot to write the alternates for standard actions

Bump

Yeah, this isn't 3.x, where a swift is always a swift.

ded thread

ded game