Exalted General

>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For the basics of combat, read this tutorial. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.
forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?769761-Exalted-3E-Combat-301.

>How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

>What's with the slow release schedule?
Onyx Path is run by raksha who have only a vague concept of human time. Expect Sidereals in 2020.

Resources for Third Edition:

>Final 3E Core Release:
mega.nz/#!ctgxyJaC!ygkrLnFsrnBJzIUZY-dJsMfyFrhFQgDsQuuo52fcW0I
mediafire.com/download/q51qw8skdw1rg15/Exalted_3e_Core.pdf
>Backer Charm Book:
mediafire.com/download/x7i7p5c4rm7kacq/Backer_Charms_Plain_Text.pdf

>Frequently updated Character Sheet with Formulas and Autofill
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18FYdnXLYj0JnBNxNSGIZyi_FZcg085qCyUYoCEtac_8
>General Homebrew dumping folder:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies:
mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
Solar Charms: imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
Martial Arts: imgur.com/a/mnQDe
Evocations: imgur.com/a/TYKE4

>Resources for Previous Editions:
pastebin.com/raw/EL3RTeB1

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/file/ua7tanepy2jfkdp/Exalted 2nd Ed - Return of the Scarlet Empress.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Okay, then. So, for a Social-focused Solar, with Presence 5, Performance 5, Socialize 3, Charisma/Manipulation 3, and Appearance 5 (7 with charms active), what are the best Martial Arts?

I think that Silver-Voiced Nightingale is a pretty obvious one (one charm gets a free Reflexive Performance actions + free Artifact weapon), but what about Black Claw Style and Dreaming Pearl Courtesan Style? I've only got the points for two styles at 5 at chargen, and the second one doesn't get any Charms, so which one's better to pick for the second one?

You don't really need more than a single style. As the social part of the party, you're not going to be expected to carry the combat, it's important to just not slow it down. Focus on your defenses- since you have Performance 5, War Dancer Method is a good pick up. Take maybe 2 more Dodge Charms and you're golden. all of the styles you mentioned have solid defense Charms, with Black Claw having probably the strongest, because they actually key-off of your social abilities. But other than that, it's pretty much a matter of stylistic preferences, all of those styles are rather unique.

>Focus on your defenses- since you have Performance 5, War Dancer Method is a good pick up. Take maybe 2 more Dodge Charms and you're golden.

That's what Silver-Voiced Nightingale's for- reflexive Performance actions, so that you can actually use Battle-Dancer Method without having to take flurry penalties to attack people.

And that is really all you need.

How would you do coadjutor mutations? with inheritance?

If so then how many points of the inheritance background would you allow an infernal exalt to take? I'm leaning towards capping it at 2 dots

If you don't mind me asking, is there any major flaws in Exalted's design?

Oh yeah, plenty. The whole Storyteller system doesn't represent it well at all. It's never had good premade adventures. And with so many Charms, with flowery names, and a huge variety of possible mechanics attached to them, players and ST are required to write down what they are, what they do, and reference them frequently. A lot of work is put on the ST to make appropriate challenges for the players, and since the players are encouraged to pursue their own individual goals it's hard to keep the party together. In more mechanical terms, Dexterity being a god stat is a terrible decision the devs knowingly retained from 2e to 3e. When one stat is the sole stat used for both attack and defense, everyone good in combat is going to prioritize that stat. Bonus points in character creation and compounding costs to raise stats are another flawed mechanic. The smart choice under this system is to max out your stats at character creation; so, min-maxing is heavily encouraged by the game system. Those are just a few problems with the game.

>Inheritance

This caps out at being a minor lord of Hell, but GSPs are so much more than that. They also grant a shit tone to bonus points, meaning that it'll likely run into the same problem that breeding did with DBs. Give them up to 2x(Unwoven Coadjutor background), that ought to be enough.

Could an Exalted survive a nuclear bomb?

Probably.

Each of the 3 perfect defenses comes with the ability to activate it to render yourself immune to an environmental source of uncountable damage for the rest of the scene.

Which is, pretty much exactly, how you would mechanically render a nuclear bomb.

With the right charms they can do it with ease. Hell, they could punch the shockwave away with their bare hands with a bit of work.

Posting up Exalted: Blood and Fire for the new thread.

>Blood and Fire? What's that?
A rules hack for running Exalted using Cortex Plus Heroic, the same system as Marvel Heroic Roleplaying and Fantasy Heroic Roleplaying.

>Why should I use it?
Because it's loads simpler than the Storyteller system, with a greater narrative emphasis and a flexible power system that lets you create your own character however you want to.

>Are you trying to compete with Storyteller?
No, I'm just providing an alternative for people that like the setting but don't like the system.

>Is the game complete?
Basically. There are still occasional minor revisions happening, but the game is a complete system. You still need the Exalted setting books to understand the world, though.

>I don't understand thing.
Well, I'm in the general most of the time, so if you have a question, you can reply to this post. I'll probably get to it before the thread collapses.

So Holden dropped weapon stats for a human body the other day. What do you guys think?

>Heavy weapon. Bashing, Improvised, Thrown (Close), Special (Minimum Strength + Athletics total of at least 8 or not usable at all), Special (cannot be placed in a flurry).

The two specials seem weird (especially since Heavy weapons don't work the same way), but otherwise I don't see any problems with it.

I'm assuming the second special exists because he's assuming the human body is an enemy's, and thus would also be taking damage from being swung around like a maraca.

Is there any good example of Infernal/Lunar bond?

making it max at 10 as opposed to my 2 dot inheritance cap putting it at 12, so we're in the same general ballpark, that's good. and I like connecting it to coadjutor rating

>this caps at being a minor lord in hell, infernals are so much more than that

wasn't talking about the fluff so much as how to manage the mutation points

Isn't that for vocal though?

Has anyone figured out any good way to do multiple combatants in a single fight? My ST and the 2 most senior rules experts are concerned about building initiative off Enemy A, then turning around and blowing all of it to decisively attack Enemy B who, up until that point, was ignoring the Solar. This defies the concept of what Initiative represents to us, an ebbing and flowing combat advantage. The Solar didn't do anything to gain advantage over Enemy B, in fact the solar should be vulnerable to Enemy B since that foe has been ignored the whole fight.

Yet, keeping an Initiative track for every significant opponent seems needlessly overwhelming and complicated. You have multiple points in the Initiative order that you could go at, you could crash against some opponents and not against others, you could decisively attack one opponent while maintaining a high initiative pool for defense against others, etc. Our only solution so far is to play it by ear and promise not to be dicks about the system and game it. I trust our group to do that, as we're all good friends and we don't have a "that guy" but that isn't a good solution for the system as a whole.

Thoughts?

You can also use it for musical instruments, so you'd just want to pick one that requires you to be dancing to use properly, like tap-dance shoes or the bells and finger-cymbals that belly-dancers use.

Sorry for the wall of text. Looking forward to the game coming out soon™.

>>Inheritance
speaking of... scroll of heroes says it gives a bonus on the roll to notice supernatural blood, but I don't see where it gives a difficulty for that base roll

That's because Scroll of Heroes is bullshit and should be ignored wherever possible.

In canon, Sulumor and Strength-of-Many are a bonded pair, and her affection for him is implied to be a reason for her turn against the Yozis during the Return of the Scarlet Empress event.

Thanks, I'm reading Return of the Scarlet Empress again but ctrl+F Sulumor doesn't help much, do you happen to know which page and is there any implication in other books about their relationship? Trying to figure out how to write a Heresy GSP x Lunar

It's an implication that's literally only in the art. Page 184, the picture of SoM and Sulumor making out next to the text of what the Lunars are doing during the Return.

that's not remotely helpful as an answer

Post RotSE senpai
please

It's only ever implied, there's two images in the Broken Winged Crane, one of her kissing Strength of Many and another of her with a group of Exalts.

How are there still people begging for this?

>Alchemicals and Abyssals are Primordial Exalted
I mean I guess that's sort of true but

"Primordial Exalted" was a term that was getting bandied around on the Exalted forums for a while. It was easier to use that than to say "Well, Abyssals and Infernals are Celestial Exalted sort of, and Alchemicals are Terrestrial-tier but not really, and..." It was basically just a way of categorizing things as an introduction for new-ish players.

If you had to pick any other system to run the Exalted setting in, what would you use?

He didn't bother reading the links in the OP. It's in there.

I ran it using Mutants & Masterminds 3E for about a year and a half before switching over to I also once ran a short Dragon-Blood game using Big Eyes, Small Mouth.

Anima - Beyond Fantasy.

Pathinder

Which link, the dead one?

>mediafire.com/file/ua7tanepy2jfkdp/Exalted 2nd Ed - Return of the Scarlet Empress.pdf

It's working for me.

Mmmhh*glob*
Thanks for spoonfeeding me, faggot

But it's in the OP.

Cortex or Fate

So all these types of exalted have a "Play as X if you want to Y" section. But those sweet 15 charms you get to pick, do you just not take any?

Do you just say fuck it and let Sidereals, Exigents and what not use the huge list of Solar charms?

Yeah, It's a valid choice, I guess, but not entirely. They're supposed to get different splatbooks soon, which cover their own charms.
But for now, using Solar charms and paint then Siddy works.

I only hope they will be just as full with powers to pick.
I can't wait for the exigent splat. I hope it will detail some nice minor gods and spirits that might lift you up to be an exalt.

I have a question about War Lion Stance. Does it let you make only one defend other action per activation of the charm, or do you get to defend other as many times as you want?

>Has anyone figured out any good way to do multiple combatants in a single fight? My ST and the 2 most senior rules experts are concerned about building initiative off Enemy A, then turning around and blowing all of it to decisively attack Enemy B who, up until that point, was ignoring the Solar. This defies the concept of what Initiative represents to us, an ebbing and flowing combat advantage. The Solar didn't do anything to gain advantage over Enemy B, in fact the solar should be vulnerable to Enemy B since that foe has been ignored the whole fight.

Unintended side effect of the system, though keep in mind that trying to farm initiative off of people to do this sorta thing is frowned upon. My own personal guess is if you want to do such a thing, half the amount of initiative a player would get from a withering attack if they intended to do this (First playtest suggested that even). If you're really concerned about it, make any decisive damage you make against the target cut in half rounded down. That should be a big enough stick to make sure people do such things.

But I suggest not using it often. A few of my coolest moments where basically when two PC's where having trouble, so I basically one shotted the entire encounter in order to save them.

check the op for some homebrew port/adaptations for now. "soon" is in fairfolk time and the devs could calcify at any moment to awaken in a thousand years if at all

>frowned upon.

So is Chungian Paradigme. Doesn't mean that's what the mechanics supports and that it's a hole in the system.

I can also "frown upon" a person who has the 5/5/1 /5/3/1 5/1/1 but it's not their fault that's what the mechanics expects them to do.

You can of course question the idea and veto it if it's your game user.

It is playable?

>muh XP savin!

Oh fuck right off.

Here you go complaining about how there is no other easy solution. You could have each player track their own initiative against each and every separate opponent in the area, but that'd be a lot of work.

I'm not going to pretend it is not a problem, nor am I going to expect you to fix it. However this is basically a poison we all take for the sake of the game working. If you don't like it, there are other options.

what'd be the roll to recognize the source of a mutation as being from a dimense(or even a specific aspect?) as opposed to from the wyld or infernal or craft:genesis?

On a whim I'd say int+occult. It seems to be the catchall "otherwordly influence" roll after all.

thanks, that's what I would have guessed too.
what difficulty would you suggest? I'm not sure how distinctive those mutations should look

2 at the least, probably 4 if it's not something that's distinctly one way or the other (e.g. the wyld would never give you iron claws, but either could give you wings of wind).

The various sources of mutation are not very far apart, both in the common mind and in terms of elemental influence.

The "easiest" solution I've seen is to give each character a Primary Target, who HAS to be the target of any attacks / influence / whatnot, and then halve their garnered init if they change targets.

You still need to code in some exceptions for e.g. AoEs ("the strongest attack in a given flurry has to hit your primary target, whatever that might mean"), but it's not too onerous.

thanks

please respond

It lets you make one Defend Other action, reflexively. Your defense of that one particular person lasts for as long as you keep the Charm up.

I think you are confusing the Defend Other action (wherein you declare "Hey I'm protecting the twink craftnerd") with its resultant effects (adding your Parry to defend the twink craftnerd when he gets attacked later).

You could keep activating the Charm Reflexively to Defend Other your entire one by one as the attacks come in but that would burn a lot of your motes.

Hey guys! I'm creating a lunar, but I'm having trouble coming up with an appropriate tell.

She is a full moon with a Giant Squid Totem. Does anyone have some interesting tell ideas?

Tentacle hair, beak teeth (as in each row of teeth is in fact one solid bone blade), really big eyes, and chromatic skin are all obvious choices.

Depends on what aspect of the squid in particular resonates with her personality. Does she "suffocate" her problems, dragging them down through attrition? Does she crack through stubborn defenses? etc.

OK, so I'm bored and I tried to convert how fast Racing Hare Technique takes you.

>Racing Hare goes three range brands per turn, so close to medium essentially
>At medium range you can only communicate through shorting
>You can be heard while shouting about half a mile away, since I like metric that's 0.804672 kilometers
>Assume that a 'turn' is roughly six seconds, borrowing from DnD yes but it sounds about right
>Meaning 0.804672 kilometers every six seconds
>Converted to Kilometers per hour its 1,446 KPH.

So Racing Hare can go a little faster than the speed of sound. Is this what you originally pictured?

How do you know it works the way you say? It's very vague language.

There's only 3 interpretations; 1 of them is nonsensical given the rules of the Charm, and 2 are identica in practice:

>The Exalt may take a reflexive defend other action to protect an ally within close range. This effect lasts a full scene, but only applies while the Solar and her charge are close to one another, and is cancelled if she moves out of close range. The Solar must drop commitment to this Charm to defend a different character.

1) This Charm lets you take reflexive Defend Other actions on anybody whenever. If so, the lattermost sentence of the Charm makes no sense.
2) The Charm lets you take a reflexive Defend Other action, and the defense provided lasts for the rest of the scene. (What I said)
3) The Charm lets you take reflexive Defend Other actions for the rest of the scene, but only towards the stated person. (Identical to #2)

I think it's #3

I personally used weapon ranges to figure out the length of range bands because they're a bit more concrete than "shout distance".

Modern longbows have a range of about 180m but some historical accounts have the max range of longbows being ~365m. Now since this is a fantasy setting with Heroic Mortals that are just better than our regular humans let's look at that range.

Racing Hare Method states you can move 3 range bands so that's actually Close to Short, Short to Medium, Medium to Long, which is the max range of a mortal firing a longbow.

Turns can range in time but let's use your 6 second number. So 365m over 6 seconds, ~60m/s which is 219 kph or 136 mph. Now, that's using the max range and the max time, so let's use the best case and worst case.

180m distance, 6 second turn and 365m distance, 3 second turn.

Which gives a range of speeds of 67mph to 273mph.

The only actual number for speeds is Stormwind rider at 100 mph so I'm inclined to err on the safe side and just say that.

I also think that. That way you can use charms to buff up the defense every time they get attacked, and only have 2m committed.

What, Anima? Yeah, you just need the fan errata for Daimah and Prometheum Exxet.

What's your favorite hearthstone?

Your lovely heart.

I'm picturing her as a martial artist who focuses on strangulation. (Maybe suction cups on her hands and feet?)

She comes from a tribe of wyld mutants who average around eight feet in height and have albinism.

pic related is kinda what i picture her as conceptually (sans horns and claws).

>I'm picturing her as a martial artist who focuses on strangulation.

Don't know if such an MA exists in any edition. Why not just use Brawl, grapple people and fluff it as strangulation?

>Pic

Don't know who that is. Care to give some context?

It appears to be some sort of titty Abyssal from KanColle.

>I can also "frown upon" a person who has the 5/5/1 /5/3/1 5/1/1 but it's not their fault that's what the mechanics expects them to do.
Of course it's their fault. It is an obvíous flaw in the system that building a character like that is mechanically rewarded, but you can make a solid, working character without minmaxing, especially if your ST doesn't design opponents and challenges based on the assumption that the players will minmax. ANyone coming to the table with a character with 5s and 1s and little else absolutely is at fault, and it is ridiculous to claim otherwise.

What's GSP equivalent of chaos repelling pattern, please answer.

Oh shit jumpstart got moved to art direction.

Pattern Reassertion Touch I think, SWLIHN charm, may require upgrades

Infernals in a nutshell really. Always need 2-3 extra Charms to get Solar-tier in raw ability

Thanks, but those look more like anti-shaping and healing charms than "Make the world runs on Creation's physic".

Ego-Infused Pattern Primacy x3 gives you immunity to Shaping effects.

Pattern Reassertion Touch allows you to pass this to others.

There is no direct Infernal equivalent to CRP, since why would the Yozi know how to make an area act on Creation's physics?

>why would the Yozi know how to make an area act on Creation's physics?
To instant rekt Unshaped I guess

Maybe the Primordials knew how, but giving the Yozi the power to emulate Creation seems like a bad idea to me and I'm not even a First Age Twilight caste

I'm just looking for the equivalent of CRP since Solar gets to use their sticks in deep Wyld, why wouldn't GSP be able to do it too considering they're empowered from the very same beings awaken from chaos?

>since Solar gets to use their sticks in deep Wyld

What?

CRP allows them to use charms anywhere, even in deep Wyld where rules of physic don't exist

So is 3e really that much better than 2e, I have 2e and a couple of supplements and was wondering if it is worth getting 3e?

Purity of Madness at Essence 3+ negates shaping around them.

Problem is that the Creation grounding charm would be a Gaian one, cause Gaia...

It is a very cute titty Abyssal.

>why would the Yozi know how to make an area act on Creation's physics?
why would they not?

why would the "gross incandescence & human ability to 11" splat know how to do that?

oh, infernals can just naturally do that. they respire essence everywhere and their charms always work

Not in the Underworld though

ever play splatoon?

inklings have beaks for teeth with 3 fangs like points(2 on top 1 on bottom), oddly shaped pupils(like a squid has), tentacle hair, and ears shaped like the fins on the side of a squid

Pretty much. Use 2E only for fluff.

1e*

*Certain parts of 1E.

1E wasn't exactly consistently good fluffwise. It had some real gems, but also a lot of shit.

it is better, but it's also wildly overhyped(with a lot of shitting on 2e by 3e dev's to cover their shortcomings) and empty

if you're prepared to port everything from 2e, replace some of the 3e reboot fluff with 1 and 2e fluff, change thaumaturgy back, sprinkle in a bit of first age magitech that they overcorrected for, and mildly nerf the solars to better fit their concept of ability based epic heroes(and not bullshit cheater marysue ultra-gods who are better at every other splat's specialized gimmick than they are, all at once)

then the best thing is to run 3e's mechanics with 2e books to flesh it out and cherrypick 1e's lore

Does anybody have the Excalibur daiklave that used to be in the home brew folder? I got a dawn who desires to shoot lazers and I was gonna run that by em.