Odd Villain Motivations

>The villain seeks immortality.
>to avoid having to pay anymore premiums on his life insurance policy.

Other urls found in this thread:

dogtime.com/dog-health/dog-behavior/22207-why-do-dogs-howl-at-the-moon
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How about

>Villain wants to enact horrifying and dark ancient rituals involving terrible acts of horror to become a lich
>To receive a cash payout from his immense life insurance policy.

>Necromancer sends out an army of zombies to devour all the flesh they can find
>All to ensure they're unable to cheat on their new vegan diet

>Insurance company thought someone was immortal.
>Offered them life insurance for really cheap with a huge payout, thinking that it could never be claimed.
>Now there is a possibility that the holder of the policy could die. The company can't afford the payout.
>Lawyers advise the company board that they could be held personally liable because they authorised his life insurance plan.
>Thus they are doing all in their power to make sure that he remains immortal.

>Seeks the power to control peoples feelings - Like make people fall in and out of love.
>To make his ex-girlfriend to leave him alone.

The villain is a Lich, who became one to last until his favorite vidya got a new release.

>Raising an army of demons to Invade a neighboring country and make himself the supreme ruler
>To get control of his favorite football team

>Seeking to become a Vampire and a master of undeath
>To be able to live long enough to see George R.R Martin finish Song of Ice and Fire.

>The villain is committing genocide in a neighboring land
>to make sure that the most annoying accent of his language he has ever heard dies out entirely

That's amazingly petty. I approve!

I think you'd be better off making GRRM the vampire. It's not a question wether readers live long enough to read it, but if he lives long enough to write it.

>Villain antagonizes the party, eggs them on at every turn, and eventually lets them bumble into and destroy his lair
>All to collect the insurance money and pursue his real dream of being a freelance yoga instructor

There is an irony in that; forcing an author known for his willingness to kill off characters on a whim to live forever.

>The villain is using long lost dark artifacts to bring ruin upon on the lands
>this is all to either bankrupt or destroy a powerful insurance conglomerate so they don't bring up charges of insurance fraud on him

When will this meme die. GRRM's protagonists have plot armor beyond thick, especially Daenerys. People like Ned and Robb were not the main characters.

>Villian just wants to take out the trash
>the trash is your world

I could see an insurance company actually doing that

All the main character deaths are also telegraphed to hell and beyond. If you just pay attention and get familiar with his writing style there isn't all that many surprises in the books.

Death Flags are made for raising!

>The villain doesn't actually want to conquer anything.
>He just wants to prove his asshole of a Mother-In-Law wrong about him not being able to accomplish anything.

I made that insurance company suggestion as a joke.

Now I see how I could build a campaign out of it. PCs sent to find a piece of the immortality device. The acquire it, then find themselves caught between multiple factions, all with their own ideas about what to do with the piece the PCs have.

Question is: Who should send the PCs after it in the first place ?

The guy who used it in the first place.

He stupidly lost it and wants to make his wife immortal too.

I was thinking that he would want to die, because he's sick of the side effects of immortality.

Still, he wouldn't want the PCs to claim they destroyed it when they didn't find it/gave it to someone else. Better to have them bring it to him for him to verify that it's genuine, before he personally witnesses its destruction.

If it happens to be destroyed on route to him, he doesn't have to pay the PCs. So the PCs reaction to being attacked by mercs who die before revealing who hired them will be fun.

>The magical prank war between a pair of irresponsible mages grows apocalyptic.

>A lich seeks to erase history to make people forget about his hilariously embarrassing life.

>A nomadic orc tribe has invaded in order to steal mankind's secrets of farming and baking.

I'm pretty sure these are plots for episodes of ATHF

>Warlord wants to destroy the world.
>Because he always looses one sock in his wash machine and thinks if the world is destroyed no sock will ever get lost

>Villain is seeking to the fantasy world into the real world so he can invade it causing untold destruction and havoc on both
>All so that he can take over the television company that canceled his favorite series and renew it for another season.

>The villain is abducting and sacrificing the best people from across the land
>he is doing this so that he can get a new physical description, new set of skills; and have the heroes tie up all loose ends so he can evade the law and start fresh somewhere else after all his other plans failed

>The villain seeks immortality.
>to avoid having to pay anymore premiums on his life insurance policy.

So kind of like Wildbow's Pact, then?

>His favorite series if Half-Life.
Good thing he's immortal.

I love the first two. The Lich is like *that guy* from high school, only he actually achieved mastery of the dark arts. All he wants to do is make everyone forget about when he asked Cindy Mathers to prom.

>Villain wants to wipe out an entire religion starting from its mortal members and then slaying his way up to the deity itself
>Only to finally put an end to those annoying door-to-door people that always wake him up early in the morning with a boring "Have you heard the word of our lord and saviour Obad-Hai?"

pic related

I want to join his crusade. Where do I sign up?

>>He just wants to prove his asshole of a Mother-In-Law wrong about him not being able to accomplish anything.
He can seduce and fuck her daughter. Checked.

too bad he's impotent.

>>A nomadic orc tribe has invaded in order to steal mankind's secrets of farming and baking.

Wow, I love this. Definitely using it

>Villain creates a terrifying artificial plague that causes a painful death by multiple organ failure in a matter of minutes
>Said plague affects only elves, because he's damn tired of not being able to gather some wood for the fireplace without having to deal with those treehuggers' tantrums

>An insurance company is behind everything, the BBEG is just another pawn of the Company

>Steals his friends robots and reprograms them and starts the robot wars
>just to show his friend that he's smarter

>Lich has a peculiar skillset
>"Who built these dungeons?"
>He did
>Because he used to be a builder
>He's ascended to lichdom so he could claim Incapacity benefit and sit at home drinking beer.
>Turned to villainy because being dead for a year and a day disqualifies you
>Can't even taste beer anymore
>Raises undead army so he doesn't have to do all the work himself
>Wages war on the local council that foiled his benefit fraud scheme
>Eventually reforms when he realises that the foreman's job he always wanted is his, managing his tireless, undead workforce
>Thus is the story of Dave the Lich

>Goes on a genocidal campaign to destroy the internet
>So noone is left to insult them on twitter

Fuck off Inafune, you hack.

A demon's goons have been stealing every single government record in the country.

He has a bet that there's someone out there called Ben Dover.

haha I love it

That's pretty great, desu.

ITT: The extent of Veeky Forums creative villainy is committing insurance fraud.

>Dave, can I get a day off next wednesday? Daughter's getting married.
>I told you about those vampire girls, frank
>I know dave
>I told you
>I know

>Sabatoges milk production in his competitors to increase the price of milk and simultaneously induce panic in the population of the United States so that candidates will seek public favor by subsidizing the members of the milk industry that kept their standards up (like his company, who he projects will become the leader in milk).
He plans to use the money and influence to increase his reach to eventually become the leader of an omni-food company and eliminate all drinks not milk or water drinks through sheer market influence.

B-but there are so many types of insurance to commit fraud upon.

>The villain seeks to destroy the moon
>Because a bunch of wild dogs keep howling at it and waking him up in the middle of the night

>The villain is a vampire who wants to create an magical eclipse and send the world into shadow
>So he can go to the beach without getting sunburned for once

>Villain is using the ancient bellows of the god of the forge to stoke the flames of the earth and cause a long dormant volcano to erupt
>So that he can use the resulting geothermal vents to open up an onsen just like in his japanese animes.

Because lord knows you can't fucking escape taxes.

>Can't even taste beer anymore
Who's to say a lich, in all its infinite magical wisdom it has an infinite lifespan to refine, can't discover a means to restore the senses of the living to itself, anyway?

He's a foreman, not a doctor.

He can just polymorph into a living creature and enjoy his beer at the end.

>creates an entire race of hideous demented bear-man hybrid aberrations that speak with a distorted version of the common language and can feed only on a specific artificial fluid
>only because he likes memes and wants to see how a spurdo looks like in real life

I love using this type of BBEG for my starter/low-level campaigns.

>The villain is in posession of a dangerous artifact.
>He's just a snot-nosed, trainee courier delivering the item to an even bigger villain, but willing to go to any lengths to not screw his first assignment up.

>The dungeon is an intricate network of tunnels located under a jail cell.
>The villain is the cell's former prisoner, who lost his way ever since he attempted to break out by digging a tunnel with a collection of old, rusty spoons.
>The party finds him at the end of the tunnels, where he realizes that the trail of corpses the adventurers have left while trying to get there will lead him back to the surface. But first, he needs to find a way to get past them.

>The head of an evil organization is the world's best murderer.
>He's so good at it, people don't even realize the crime occurred, or that his victims are even dead.
>As a consequence, nobody believes him, and just assumes he's kind of a pushover.
>He becomes obsessed in trying to be validated by being found out, but is too much of a perfectionist to not cover his tracks.

>Villain tried to create a new type of personal telescope
>Accidentally invents glasses
>Throws them away because they didn't work as intended
>Soon a poor farmer finds them
>He uses them and can finally see after years of bad sight
>Villain hears about this
>Creates the "Slight Sight Defect" spell
>Casts it on villages and towns
>Few days later his minions show up to sell glasses
>The spell only lasts a few months
>After that people throws them away
>The minions pick them back
>Go to another town and repeat

>the sorcerer wants to turn the entire biosphere to stone
>so everyone will stop pestering him to join their holy wars and political arguments

>the villain wishes to start the End of Days
>it was going to happen slower and more painfully to have it happen naturally

>the villain seeks global domination
>so that he can abolish law and have a world of anarchy

>the villain steals exuberant riches
>solely to hide them away and leave breadcrumbs to where they are

>Abolish law

But how would you enforce that?

Pic related is this thread in a nutshell.

>Adventurers! The next villain is a muuurdereeeer!
>A murderer? Who were the victims?
>Well, nobody really knows. In fact, we don't even know if he's actually killed anybody. He claims to be a murderer though.
>We'll check anyways.
>Players go beat up what they assume will turn out to be a crazy drunkard hobo
>Suddenly world's best murderer
>TPK

Heh.

>low level adventurer come to steal all the shit out of a farmer's house, because RPG rules
>farmer defends his property, kills adventurer and throws his shit in a chest
>adventurer had an artifact or two
>small group of low level adventurers come to get the artifact
>farmer somehow kills them as well, still defending his property
>amasses more and more loot and learns more about fighting
>eventually starts expanding his property and filling it with traps and exotic pets to keep adventurers away
>old man farmer creates a fucking dungeon to stop adventurers from stealing his stuff, becomes BBEG on accident
>higher and higher level adventurers come to try their luck while old man farmer just cries about not being able to grow potatoes anymore

>That last one

I love that prisoner dungeon idea, mate.

I actually had insurance fraud adventure
>Prince is getting married to a princess. She's completely irrelevant and her dowry isn't exactly breathtaking
>as an act of good will he moves all his wealth to the king's treasury
>he also buys local dwarves to steal his (and king's shit by digging a tunnel)
>who's gonna suspect him?
>and his treasure was handsomely insured.

By dismantling public institutions and burning any written law, of course!

Ensuring that the only type of law is spread by ideology and word of mouth.

Everywhere is the 3rd world! Evil incarnate!

>Ancap Liches

>The villain tries to obtain immortality by transforming everybody into lolis

Calm down satan

There is only one law of lawlessness, enforcing a law besides the first law is punishable by death.

>When the victims of the Balor living in the nearby dungeon shout so much that the soundwaves enter in your property violating the NAP and so you cast three Tactical Nukes in his lair, vaporizing it from the face of existence

>yfw Diarrhea Dany spent most of Book 5 doing nothing but fuck up

That sounds like a reasonable response. Fuck noisy neighbors.

>Villain is so self centered that they try to clone themselves to fuck themselves

>5 generations of inbreeding

>Villain has apparently left trails of destruction in his wake, stolen ancient artifacts of untold power and done ancient and dark rituals who's true purpose is clouded in mystery, an ancient prophesy says that each of these acts is but a sign leading to the apocalypse but it is still unclear how it ties together

>Villain is actually is just a unscrupulous social scientist who wanted to study how people would react

now that's a cool story.

Six, really. Even the first chick was his half-sister.

It's as if someone adapted Crusader Kings 2 into a TV show.

>Villain wants to summon ancient evil god
>for the sole purpose of kicking its ass in a wrestling match

>The villain seeks to destroy the moon
>Because a bunch of wild dogs keep howling at it and waking him up in the middle of the night

What I like about this, is that the moon has got nothing to do with the howling, so he's wasting his time. Even make it worse possibly.

dogtime.com/dog-health/dog-behavior/22207-why-do-dogs-howl-at-the-moon

>YES I THOUGHT AN ANONYMOUS MIX TAPE WOULD WORK, STOP REMINDING ME

>That pasta
My sides

>Villain undercuts/schemes/steals property to farmers lands.
>Wants to build the biggest corn maze for a record book.

There's a lot of really good funny ones in this thread, but all I have is some snowflake bullshit I was gonna do for the old mtg snowstorm threads.

>Evil planeswalker is obsessed with creating the Perfect Being
>anime definition of "perfect" so with immortality and omnipotence and all that
>kidnaps other planeswalkers to attempt spark theft
>wipes out entire planes in efforts to create the perfect, most adaptable organism
>It's so that if she ever meets anyone she likes, she can offer to transform them into a crazy powerful monstrosity so they never have to worry about dying or getting hurt

>Becomes lich just to make skeleton and bone puns.

>Villain is seeking a powerful, fabled relic he discovered reading an ancient scroll.
>The relic is the "ultimate weapon"
>Burning village after village, Crumbling keep after keep, desperately searching but never finds any leads.
>Adventurers eventually catch up to Villain after damn near chasing him to the end of the world.

>Find out the "Ancient Scroll" for the fabled Ultimate Weapon was actually a page from the back of a comic book mail in order form.

>youseethisfish.jpg

So, Phyrexia?

Or, better yet, the fabled relic was really friendship all along.

Gimme one for a gnoll warlord.

>literally every single fucking voice line is an ice or skeleton pun
it gets annoying sometimes

>BBEG is an astrologist
>Keeps predicting doom for everyone.
>Decides to adjust planets so that his predictions predict a golden age
>Be adjust I mean explode.

BREAKING NEWS!
Police arrived at the house moments ago, carrying out the suspect and victim's bodies, it appears that the suspect died of an aneurysm while his hands were wrapped around the victim's throat wherein he immediately entered a state of rigor mortis, suffocating the victim to death. Friends of the perpetrator are reported as having said "I've never seen anybody leap over a table that fast in my life!" Hail Satan.

Oh, yeah pretty much.

So, villain pulls a phyrexia (Invasion and all that) to create ultimate waifu/husbando

>to create ultimate waifu
Phyexia did it first