Modern General

Modern General

Excellent card looking for a good home edition

>What's your pet deck, and what made you fall in love with it?
>What would you be playing if it were viable?
>What card do you wish was banned, even if it's not unhealthy?
>If you could have one old card reprinted into modern, what would it be?

What's the opinion on troll worship as a deck? Seems like it could be good in a meta like this. What would remove them? Wrath effects are not common at all and nobody runs an abundance of enchantment hate

>>What's your pet deck, and what made you fall in love with it?
Dredge.
Life from the Loam, get back three lands.
Play a land, get Bloodghasts
Discard the other two lands and six other cards in my hand to Conflag
Bloodghasts have haste now
Acquire Amalgams
>>What would you be playing if it were viable?
Sultai midrange/control
>>What card do you wish was banned, even if it's not unhealthy?
Blood Moon
>>If you could have one old card reprinted into modern, what would it be?
Shardless Agent
Baleful Strix
Deathrite Shaman and Jace, the Mind Sculptor

You forgot to say Force of Will, Leovold and Brainstorm for Shardless BUG.

Started playing infect back in november, loved how it played and it only got better
Bird Brain I guess, probably more Ad Nauseam too
>>What card do you wish was banned, even if it's not unhealthy?
Moon, not because I lose to it, but because it's such an absurd card. There should be more ways to interact with nonbasics than just costing the other person the game
>>If you could have one old card reprinted into modern, what would it be?
Shardless agent, seems sweet
I'd like all of the eternal only cards in modern too

Anger of the gods, wrath of God, supreme verdict, and damnnation are a thing. Also, shaman of the pack goes straight through Worship. Other than that, Worship is a great card. It's a terrible top deck when you have no creatures though

Martyr Proc. I like really, really long games.
Gitaxian Probe. Or a tron land.
Mother of Runes

If Shardless Agent, ban Living End.
Also pic related and the rest of the cycle looking for a good home. Kolaghan got the worst dragon but the best Command for modern.

I'd like to revisit Tarkir one day and get enemy Dragonlords and enemy Dragonlord's Commands.

>If Shardless Agent, ban Living End.
why

Shardless agent doesn't fix living end's weakness and it's only a moderate upgrade from current cascade spells in living end.

Before the people playing Blood Moon say it's necessary to keep people from playing 4-5 color things, what other things could discourage playing too many colors?

Ghost Quarter really doesn't seem to. In Legacy, there's Blood Moon and Wasteland but there's also Force of Will to counter Blood Moon.
They also have Deathrite Shaman to help with colors.
And Brainstorm to find FoW.

What's getting banned in January? My money's on GGT, Amalgam if they don't want kill Dredge which I see as unlikely since the deck only reinforces the meme that Modern is about drawing your sideboard, they won't ban mom hug since the next draft chaff looter at 2cmc would just break the deck again.

Hopefully cb or terminus ban in Legacy.

The stock answer is Burn but people wouldn't take that much more damage playing 4c than now with Jund lava axing itself and all that or would just run 1-2 more Timelies in the 75.

Wasteland in modern
Cards with heavy color mana costs (e.g. WWW)

Bans I'm hoping for
>Blood Moon
>Become Immense
>Grave-Troll
>Lantern of Insight
Bans I'm hoping don't happen
>Prized Amalgam
Unbans I'm hoping for
>Deathrite
>Jace
Unbans I'm hoping don't happen
>Twin
>Bloodbraid Elf

You're cancer

>Pet Deck
Naya Zoo, it was the first one i made and R/W/G have been colors of choice since. Combat tricks and quick unmanageable creature damage sold me immediately.
>What would you play if it were viable?
I'm not up to speed on whats viable, but probably something with no real damage in it like B/W Discard, forcing a slow grindy mill while the opponent cant play anything because they keep throwing it in the graveyard/exiling it.
>What card do you wish was banned, even if its not unhealthy?
Doubling Season
>If you could reprint an old card into modern what would it be?
Also not extremely familiar with where the legality line for modern is, but i think Chaoslace could be funny if available

>wants DRS
>doesn't want BBE
do you just really like 4c gifts? This seems like such an odd position to take

;)
Good thing those things aren't going to happen.
What do you want banned/unbanned?

>ban
ons/ktk and zen fetchlands

>unban
drs

>Banning fetch lands

Yea because smooth manabases is REALLY a problem

>something with no real damage in it like B/W Discard, forcing a slow grindy mill while the opponent cant play anything because they keep throwing it in the graveyard/exiling it.

Literally lantern control, look into it.

A self made blue counter deck built around drawing cards, walls, hermetic study and horseshoe crabs.

>Viable deck

I always liked Kai Budde's 1999 red / artifact deck it had enough dickery in it at the time to face roll everything from Rancor decks to Blue Thran assery.

>Banned

Bloodmoon. It fucks up stuff too hard for its cost.

>Reprint

Tough Choice.

Would appreciate it next time if you include "MTG" somewhere in the thread title.

Reasons to have bloodmoon
>it punishes manabases that are too greedy

reasons not to have bloodmoon
>it makes people unhappy
>it punishes manabases that are more than one color
>it makes the tradeoff of damage for untapped duals damage for untapped mountains
>it makes landfolk that ETB tapped just mountains that ETB tapped

Seriously, what does it keep in check? Blood Moon comes up just enough that it's frustrating but typically isn't strong enough to win events.

Bloodmoon makes me happy, so you have to add that to the for section
Also bloodmoon hardly punishes 2 color manabases.

Why should Lantern get banned? It's the last viable control deck that isn't about clowning free wins.

Also, a struggle with blood moon:
>Makes nonbasic lands one of the only colors that has no way to interact with enchantments
At least Magus of the Moon is fine because it turns lands into a color that can answer it. If Blood Moon made lands Plains or Forests it wouldn't be nearly as frustrating, because both of those colors have a myriad of ways to answer enchants on the cheap.

As it stands, the only answer to a blood moon if you're playing nonbasics is an untapped fetch and hunt for a forest in response to it in hopes for an answer, if you can't float the mana from a nonbasic in response and cast something like Natural State.

why is everyone meme'ing on blood moon? did I miss the meme train? did a blood moon deck win recently?

Or you could fetch a basic in the first 2/3 turns of the game.
Just mad 3 BGx players

A Blue/Green Simic/Phyrexian Graft/Poison/Proliferate deck. It started as "I want to make a mad science and mutants" deck and ended with"holy shit this is the best deck I've ever made!!"

I'd like to make a deck themed around the cards "Army of Allah" and "Jihad". And other cards from that set. So the next time I hear a parent complain that MtG seduces their kids into the occult I can show it to them and replace their paranoid satanic panic with a fear that card games are trying to indoctrinate kids into Islam.

Ban nothing, even if it is unhealthy. Let chaos reign.

Army of Allah and Jihad please...

Skred won the GP couple weeks backs, which isn't all too surprising with 4 maindeck Relics and Angers vs Dredge (and other creature aggor) and Blood Moon vs everything else.

I don't think a format full of hatedecks and cancer is very healthy

>I can show it to them and replace their paranoid satanic panic with a fear that card games are trying to indoctrinate kids into Islam.

Grab Invoke Prejudice while you're at it.

ban blighted agent or inkmoth, or if not one of those then at least become immense
ban hugdiscard
unban preordain, maybe even ponder
unban twin
unban BBE
unban green sun's zenith
unban seething song
reprint back to basics

And skred seems to be all people are playing on free clients.

>ban hugdiscard

I don't want to see a mediocre card banned to "nerf" a deck. Ban GGT again.

BW Tribal Knights. Glorious heavy cavalry FTW.
See above.
Fetch Lands.
Infernal Darkness
>Bloodmoon?
The hero that the format needs.

>BW Tribal Knights. Glorious heavy cavalry FTW.
Got a list? I was thinking about putting together an Abzan self-mill Knight-Tribal deck focused on Knight of the Reliquary and Haakon.

Who Temur Delver here ?

I'd love to get my hands on actual fetches and goyfs to play outside of my play group where proxies are allowed but damn... those prices...

Modern Knights

Main:
4 Angelic Wall
4 Blood-Cursed Knight
4 Knight Exemplar
4 Knight of Glory
4 Knight of Infamy
4 Luminarch Ascension
4 Mortify
4 Silverblade Paladin
2 Sorin, Grim Nemesis
2 Spectral Rider
2 Stromgald Crusader

9 Plains
9 Swamps
4 Isolated Chapel

I am your guy. The deck is so fucking fun and is very powerful. I don't play it as much lately since my meta is infested with midrange. The sideboard is there to transform more into midrange itself but I figured for now I'd rather just play something else.

The deck is ruthless at punishing misplays but very rewarding

Wait, how is this card not played at least as a sideboard card in any UWx control deck ? Sounds great against burn.

Those decks don't usually struggle against burn

I just feel that we need something more than relic/graf as our main GY hate with dredge being rampant but there are no good choices in UBR saddly.

I posted this list last thread. It's pretty competitive, goes toe to toe with most tier decks but has some of the same matchup failings as jund (eldrazi for example who out topdecks it) I've been playing and tuning it for a few months. It tries to jund people out and uses the grave as a card advantage engine but doesn't fold to grave hate. Super fun deck.

>tfw mtggoldfish now rallying for a dredge ban

What's with the maro kool-aid?

whateven?
maro even gave the ravnica showdown dredge v scavenge to dredge

I don't play grixis so I'm not sure. I find with temur I can just shoal their beginning turns and run over them. I bring in a couple surgical extractions as well

Are you Temur or Grixis?

It doesn't even need to be banned, just nerfed

Temur

UBR is not temur though

uw flash,play creature oin end step,protect it with pic related

So you just ban Troll again and the deck starts playing Thug?

Because the only other card they can ban is Bloodghast according to their inconsistent justifications for bans. It's a Rare, it's not used in other decks, and it powers the engine.

Looks legit, no birds though? I feel like all the 3 drops with tough costs would be a pain without them. Lili seems like the best choice for dealing with drawn Haakons, but budget is a bit of an issue.
Do you find you have enough board presence to justify the Luminarch Ascension? I only run it in commander, and only if I have enough fog action to make it go off in 1-2 turn cycles. Seems like there might be better options for enchantment enabling.

RUG is temur

What decks is Blood Moon keeping out of the format?

Right now it's just a generic answer to Jund/k players who forget to fetch a basic.

>mtggoldfish now rallying for a dredge ban

Learn to read. The article is not rallying for a dredge ban, it's just talking about possible situations for WotC to react towards banning and if they did then these are the most likely outcomes.

So what do you when someone plays Abrupt Decays?

I basically just run it to put pressure on my opponent. If it actually goes off, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Nah, I'd go back to banning hug and force them to run tormenting voice
I wish they'd actually nerf decks instead of just ban them into oblivion. I'm fine with dredge sticking around but it just gets so much speed and consistency.
>inb4 infect is fast and consistent too!!11!1111!!!
Sure, but it also has to walk a razor thin line to do so, and it can't recur it's threats as consistently, or go as wide as dredge.

Draw a card, duh.

Nothing because Abrupt Decay is truly the type of card that needs to exist.
Other cards that need to exist
>Abrupt Decay
>Negate
>Terminate
>Thoughtseize/IoK and friends
>Relic, Tormod's Crypt and friends
>Leyline of the Void/Sanctity
>Wasteland
>Damnation/Wrath/Anger
Cards that do not need to exist
>Blood Moon
>Tron lands

Why can't we get a 1WU "destroy all creatures with cmc 2 or less" that can't be countered
pls wizards

Fuck you. Why does abrupt decay need to be around? So you don't get your feelings hurt by counterspells?
This isn't legacy

yhea my bad, I meant URG

I think banning Reunion, which I agree is a good move, would actually force them to put in effort. I mean having some guy in the office spend the day writing up why they're banning a common from the most recent set. It would also require them to have someone on staff who gave a shit about Modern.

Then they'd have to consider that that ban might not be good enough because Voice can hold its own and ultimately they have to ban Troll/Bloodghast or whatever else three months later.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I have more faith in my games store burning to the ground today than Wizards doing anything right or timely at the moment. It doesn't help that they've decided to engage the community through Reddit and dogshit social media and the community is so horribly shitty that they'd get shit on no matter what they did.

They have to have given a small shit about modern if they printed the card, it's so clearly aimed at dredge
I think they won't do it because they'd have to admit for the second time in a year that they made a shitty mistake and threw the balance of a format out of whack because they're cunts who only care about standard

Affinity. I started playing as Scourge was released, so I was all over Mirrodin.
Prison Control or Land Destruction.
Goyf, but only because I refuse to buy fakes or drop a $100 bill on one.
Flametongue Kavu.

>No birds?
I generally drop hand hate on t1, what would you cut for birds?

>budget is a bit of an issue.
Then this really isn't the deck for you, LotVs discard is really important to consistently dredging stinkweed into haakons and lands for kotr pump. Maybe if you can find a way to weave in heretical healer but she can't trigger her discard before getting bolted like veil can. Lili is basically a cornerstone of the deck; brutality is a good one shot supplemental discard for getting them out of your opener but that's all you get.

Lili is the only reason I don't have this completed deck in paper yet, but after playing it for so long I know how important it is.

>Lili is the only reason I don't have this completed deck in paper yet, but after playing it for so long I know how important it is.
That's what I figured. I guess I'll just keep my Bant Knightfall list going, since I've already invested a bit into that.

Elves land destruction is surprisingly good, you should give it a shot.

skred and sun/moon are both viable blood moon decks

Why does Tron upset so many people

Because having a good matchup against every deck that tries to secure the midrange board is going to upset people, especially shitbrewers.

very hard to interact with

ive never played modern before and want to get into it. the problem is i can only have fun when other people are not having fun, what is the deck for me?

Legacy Miracles

Lantern Control.

in order
sun/moon or skred
infect
dredge
tron
lantern control
jeskai/grixis control

No interactions pre board and even post board you don't have much

Living end. When I started playing mtg one guy had a copy of the card living death I traded for. Think it was from the phyrexia vs coalition duel deck. I made a (bad) deck around milling myself and casting living death to put a bunch of big dumb cards into play. I remember that deck literally included a craw wurm. Anyway, took a break from magic during college and when I returned I learned of a competitive modern deck with basically the same plan, but it was actually good.
Monoblack control.
fetchlands
Buried alive.

>Monoblack control.
don't remind me

Because the deck is literally only interesting in the mirror or when the dredge player opts not to return bloodghast and waits until they've taken their turn to return bloodghasts and amalgams to avoid ugin

Ideal tron playline
>t1 tron land, map
>t2 tron land, crack map, get third
>t3 karn/wurmcoil
>t4 ugin/worldbreaker
>t5 find a creature if you haven't yet, beatdown
Oblivion Stone sometime too and sometimes get all the way up to Ulamog

I know there are other playlines with stars/spheres and using slyvan scrying/ancient stirring

UW Turbo tutelage, because it was my first steps into modern

Mass discard

Glimpse the unthinkable

Stasis, without a doubt

Why didn't Tom Ross include Thought-Knots in the SB?
Why did he include Ghost Quarter?
Why no Eternal Scourges?
Why razorverge thicket and brushland over canopy vista?
Why no Life from the Loam?

I'm serious. People hate the deck and it has game against everything fair and I want to git gud with it.

Anyone run Quest for Ula's Temple? I just want to know how many creatures I should have, I'm at 30 currently but I feel like I could cut some and add more spells

This is the modern thread

>He doesnt know about the upcoming Octopus/Leviathan block

lrn2speculate

Hilarious dude

>Glimpse the unthinkable

How does it feel to play within a scrub meta ?

It's Spaghetti and Meatballs block, obviously. Octopus tribal becomes new standard tier 0 and a competitor in modern.

>Why didn't Tom Ross include Thought-Knots in the SB?
He would be casting it t4 or t3 with tron online, but if trons online then why the fuck would you cast a 4 mana card instead of a 6-7 mana I win the game card?
>Why did he include Ghost Quarter?
To stall greedy mana bases while searching for tron.
>Why no Eternal Scourges?
No reason to, deck doesn't need a recursive beater when it can run 7 mana I win cards.
>Why razorverge thicket and brushland over canopy vista?
Canopy always hurts and burn is one of your worst matchups.
>Why no Life from the Loam?
Again, deck doesn't need recursion.

Don't give them so much credit. They didn't print the card thinking of Dredge at all. They didn't think of fuck-all before they printed the card other than Standard implications. It's just another card where they upped the numbers just like a pump spell or conditional burn spell.

I think back to Innistrad where Wizards took CREDIT for designing the Spider Spawning deck after it went crazy. They didn't fucking design the deck, it just happened and it turned out to be amazing, which happens sometimes. They didn't look at Memory's Journey or Runic Repetition and think, "this shit is going to power an engine in Limited". Fuck no, BOTH those cards have existed in Krosan Reclaimation and Repetition is just another dumb fucking keyword card that otherwise should have spent the whole time rotting in players' boxes. If they fucking released design notes proving they didn't stumble across it then I'd believe them but you know they won't because they didn't.

Also, there is no fucking way they looked at Amalgam and thought, "this is going to be great for Dredge". No fucking way. They are not that aware. There are too many fuck-ups and not enough transparency to pass out any credit and I will invoke Occam's Razor for that. The best I'll give them for Amalgam is thinking about Gravecrawler and/or Geralf's Messenger but nobody cared about Dredge.

This isn't a company that loves us. And they'll use every business trick in the book to look like saints in front of us. And the thing is that the community is just begging for attention and too fucking stupid to take everything they say at face value. The community is children or fucking man-children who don't know how the world works. They would rather see that the company is on top of things because they assume they have infinite resources when they are not.

>SCG Knoxville top 16
>Literally 0000 (Zero) dredge

Oh geez what a broken turn 3 deck that you can't hate and is scouring the format amirite?

>Knoxville
To be fair, TN is full of retards. Nothing from there can be taken as an adequate representation of the rest of the world.

Like the time lantern control got first place at an event in oklahoma. LMAO.

babies are gonna cry anyway. If dredge gets a ban they will be crying over affinity next until the only viable deck will be UWx control because aggro/combo is """""toxic"""""

Lantern isn't a control deck. It's a prison deck.
I really wish the meme that those are the same thing would end.