EDH/Commander General

Unconventional Voltron Commanders Edition

Previous: >Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gitrog-in-paper/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sigarda-edit/
strawpoll.me/11706118
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Zedruu is a pretty good voltron too, slap auras on and donate them

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gitrog-in-paper/

Give me attention for fucks sake

>Unconventional Voltron Commanders Edition

First for Doggo

I've always kind of wanted to run Mirri voltron but mono green really doesn't do anything with the archetype aside from auras and enchantresses.

Anyone have any advice for pic related? Besides the 'run all the manlands and blightsteel colossus' strategy that I want to avoid.

You could run all legendaries and blightsteel colossus

High tide maybe?

Gives you combo lines if you don't polymorph into Palin+Deadeye, and maybe play Kid Jace as a random legendary for sick double tide lines.

In all seriousness though small legends and big nonlegends.dec would be pretty sweet

Her first ability is deceptively strong.
Leave her alone, waiting for her to try and steal your creatures, and all of a sudden she's a flying 10/10 or more swinging for your face and ludicrous Commander damage.

I feel like I hit a wall with my deck. The only way to improve it now is to spend a lot of money on the 3-color mana base (3 original duals, 2 enemy fetches, 3 filters). I don't think there are any nonlands that I would want and can't afford.

I just can't bring myself to spend that much on cards that only help me curve out occasionally. Yes, I am running plenty of other duals and multi-lands to not have a completely shit mana base. But it bugs me that my deck is sub-optimal, you know?

Do you have any budgetary concerns with your decks? Are you saving up? Do you just say "fuck it, it's an investment"? Do you just run 15 Zendikar Expeditions in your deck?

Is there a template/program for these higher quality alters?

Make a black Mirri voltron.

Post favorite voltron commander

how do I build this? I tried loading it with defender creatures because it's funny and unexpected, but there just aren't enough wall activators so I think big asses without defender are best

I'm afraid the most consistent way to build it is a fat ass version of voltron but my friends are tired of my voltron builds :/

favorite or best?

big butts are really good, you're going to end with lots of treefolk. indomitable ancients are almost necessary. Things that give skulk are also amazing, particularly skeleton key. Retribution of the meek is really good too.

This and Sidar Kondo for unblockable fatasses.

Meant to respond to but i'm sure he still saw it

What can I do to improve the basic Meren of Clan Nel Toth deck?

Put in good ETB's and good death triggers?

Post your list?

she is better in the 99 of something like Talrand. Either way, you want a lot of token producers that arent creatures themselves, so you can morph into good stuff. Things like Thopter Spy Network work well.

How good is pic related? It seems really good with things like Glare of Heresy, or is it a trap?

She's long retired and I can't be arsed to make a list, but if you have any particular questions I can answer them.

It's a draw-go voltron archetype, where much of the deck is instant speed control, a handful of artifact tutors and a handful of equipment and auras. You don't need much ramp as Wydwen dodges the commander tax, although mana rocks are still good to do multiple things, then you can transmute them into the sword you want.

He has cute interactions like Earnest Fellowship, but risks running out of steam like all other mono white generals.

Eight's one of the better mono white generals for what that's worth, but mono white isn't any good except maybe some ruthless Hokori stax decks. And even that I'm not sure about.

I think he's great

He's not really a "trap" although I think it's def possible to go overboard on color matters stuff, his ability is good just as infinite "2W: thing you control is basically hexproof and basically can't be blocked"

His real problem is that hes really mana intensive, which isn't the easiest thing in mono white so you need to pull out all the stops, all the best mana rocks and mana doublers you can afford

And then there's the card draw issue, I think he's good at making card draw less important, because he protects the spells you play and makes you play a little slower, so you won't overextend, but you still want card draw, and I'm not a huge fan of most of your options in mono white. Mentor of the meek is okay, but if you want to use 8 1/2 tails, you need 4 extra mana for every small creature play, to draw and protect. Puresteel paladin is good if you use equipment a lot, but it's still hard to profitably fit that many equipment in your deck to make puresteel a serious source of card draw

Most of the good artifact card draw effects are expensive and slow like mind's eye

anyone play EDH on xmage? is it worth it or is it just a bunch of autists with 4000 dollar decks?

why wouldn't you play as an autist with a 4000 dollar deck?

A powered up Hokori would work well in an average playgroup, but the moment the UGx decks try to match him he won't stand a chance.

UGx deadeye dongers isn't as good as UBx storm. In either case, monowhite hokori isn't a great choice, but Hokori is better against storm then he is dongers

to test out shit i want to build?

What is best at dealing with typical U/Gx cancer decks that run away with games (the typical seedborn muse + alchemist's refuge, etc) outside of other U/Gx decks?

Hatebears & MLD

>buy two precons
>have no idea what i'm doing

i can't even into this format

4 colour decks are not an easy introduction into the format. Your first deck should be mono or two colour so you can get a feel of how the format play instead of worrying what the fuck your deck does

Just remember: card advantage is king. That includes virtual card advantage.

If you find yourself doing nothing with your mana for a couple turns because you ran out of cards, you may as well have lost the game.

Tried to make a playable Sigarda, token/human deck.
Anything I can change around here?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sigarda-edit/

So...I'm having trouble balancing cheap removal spells against more expensive cards with high value. Are cards that used to be curve-toppers are now early casting goals? Halp.

post your decklist if possible. critique is the best way to learn, and it's difficult to critique without reference since edh decks often play vastly differently depending on the commander.

He's pretty solid in duel commander but not so much in multiplayer.

first off, you can't play westvale abbey since it's colour identity is black, due to it's backside. It's just like how Archangel Avacyn is WR due to her backside.

Armageddon.

currently building Selenia, dark angel and rakdos discount king.

Zada is so much fucking fun

is there any way to make a good Astral slide type deck. I would like it to be BW, maybe manifest some big fatties and etb stuff. I need sugestions.

You mean a flicker deck?

ok, other than that what else would you recommend?

strawpoll.me/11706118

Help me /edhg/

Nath is lit af, do him

Make it in enchantress flicker deck. All the Runes of Protection minus Lands, Parallax Wave, Skybind, and all the ETB effects you can find like Auramancer, Monk Realist, Flickerwisp, Glimmerpoint Stag, etc

And add in some enchantment removal like Reality Acid, Soul Tithe, Seal of Cleansing, and Aura of Silence

Selenia is a lot of fun.

which ones did you get because atraxa and gaybros basically play themselves

Nath's fucking great. You don't even have to build around the discard of you don't want, just do elves with black tricks. Just be prepared for buthurt when you make someone discard their combo pieces. Also, your dick will never feel as big as when you swing with 4 11/11's turn 4. Fucking elves, man.

What are some staple cards every mono red deck should have?

here, what do?

Archangel Avacyn if fine as hell due to her backside.

blood moon

Gauntlet of Power, Caged Sun, Extraplanar Lens, Gilded Lotus, Everflowing Chalice, Sol Ring, and a few other rocks too

Stranglehold, Gamble, Blasphemous Act, Vandalblast, Blood Moon, Ruination, Chaos Warp, Pyroblast, Wheel of Fate, Wheel of Fortune, and Reiterate or Fork or Reverberate or Dualcaster Mage or Wild Ricochet or all of them

And personally, I would say Commune With Lava, Isochron Scepter, Pyrohemia, Frenzied Fugue, and Uba Mask

>backside

Damn right.

the color identifier on the back of transform cards is included in color identity, user.

You could build something with one of the new C16 commanders.

Vorel of the Hull Clade is pretty fun imo.

that second one was meant to be an 'or', sorry.

Not him, but one of the biggest problems with wide nontoken tribal decks is how they fare against boardwipes.

There are various ways to deal with this, some are to simply draw tons of cards, so you can push out new threats once you are dealt with.

Cards like Collective Unconcious, Regal Force, Shamanic Revelation (I'd probably run this one), and Slate of Ancestry work towards that purpose.

Other ways are to protect your stuff from removal, cards like Eldrazi Monument (Should work great since your commander can make tokens to feed it), Asceticism (Also amazing), I see you already play Eerie Interlude, Ghostway is another card that does the same thing. Indestructible effects like Make a Stand and Rootborn Defenses can work, but these are more situational.

Now, what I personally like best is reanimation strategies. Make sure those cards you lose keep coming back.
Angel of Glory's Rise is probably the best at this job, but there's also Rally the Ancestors, Return to the Ranks, Marshal's Anthem, Twilight Shepherd, Cauldron of Souls (the last two will be especially good considering you have lots of ways to get +1/+1 counters)

There's also single target stuff like Sun Titan, Reveillark, Karmic Guide, Loyal Retainers (human), Bruna, the Fading Light, Angel of Serenity.

I'm also SHOCKED that you're not playing Eternal Witness. It's even a human.

Collective Blessing is pretty mediocre for 6 mana, if you want a combat enchantment at that price, play True Conviction. If you just want a mass pump, use Beastmaster Ascension.

Cryptolith Rite is great, so you want an even better one as well, Earthcraft.

As cool as cards like Urza's Incubator are, human tribal is stuffed with super cheap spells. You're going to be able to cast your humans, you don't need them discounted that much.

do you have a list or sugestions?

>unconventional
Doggo is basically babby's first brew at this point.

Also, here's a list of amazing humans in no particular order:

First some really fucking amazing ones:
Academy Rector
Saffi Eriksdotter
Eternal Witness
Loyal Retainers
Serra Ascendant
Juniper Order Ranger
Yavimaya Elder
Azusa, Lost but Seeking
Knight of the Reliquary
Captain Sisay
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa (Good instead of the overrun, stops boardwipes by threatening to animate their lands)

Now for some others:
Sanctum Prelate
Shaman of the Forgotten Ways
Preacher
Ranger of Eos (Becomes far better if you run other 1 drops like Mother of Runes and Serra Ascendant)
Mother of Runes
Auramancer
Hero of Bladehold
Hua Tao, Honored Physician
Freyalise Supplicant (WG 0.5 fling! Direct player damage! Only flings white creatures though)
Soul Sister's (All white ones except Suture Priest are human)
Yisan, the Wanderer Bard (Great in a deck with lots of cheap humans)
Grand Abolisher
Sylvan Safekeeper
Wild Beastmaster
Children of Korlis
Containment Priest
Den Protector
Somberwald Sage
Stone-seeder Hierophant (Mostly becomes amazing with Gaea's Cradle or Thawing Glaciers)
Elder of Laurels
Emrakul's Evangel

I don't have my list online, it's mostly goofy combo stuff with Lich and other cards like that.

I dunno, I built a Kydele Windfall->Fireball deck, but it just felt so... boring, I guess?
Marcie was the last time I built something and actually felt pleased with the result (which stalled out most partial builds thereafter), which is why I mentioned her.
I was considering an Eggs style Breya deck when I first saw her, if I can motivate myself to attempt that nightmare I might, I guess
I'll give Vorel a look too

Muh Nigga.

the guy with the reputation for being the Best EDH player at my lgs just got arrested for child molestation.

pop kek.

Did someone say Voltron. I never got a EDH deck before and I might try this.

vorel's not new but he was reprinted in the set.

Ludevic + Vial Smasher is a decent combination of new commanders.

He lived in EDH as he did with children: he had happy hands!

Best combo Tymna/Fishman

How is ludevic + vial smasher good?

Ludevic makes your deck worse by being in play

Now that I've gone this far, might as well recommend cards for you to cut:

Briarbridge Patrol (4 mana 3/3?)
Palace Guard (3 mana 1/4?)
Hamlet Captain (Not too certain about this one, but it risks dying too much in order to get the buff active when it counts, not always you can swing with everything, better to just play another anthem)
Collective Effort (Nice flexibility, but sorcery speed removal has to be REALLY good in commander)
Explosive Vegetation (Bad ramp. Play Cultivate or Kodama's Reach to guarantee 5 mana, or Skyshroud Claim at 4 mana)
Chariot of Victory (Lightning Greaves!)
Door of Destinies (Buff permanents that do nothing retroactively almost always suck)
Descendant's Path (Like... 25% chance to trigger? If you have a human on board already?)
Collective Blessing (True Conviction)
Concerted Effort (Eldrazi Monument)
Brave the Sands
That second Sol Ring
BfZ Gideon (Isn't he rotating out of standard soon? Get rid of him fast)
Urza's Incubator
Second Harvest (Not enough token generation)
Gallows at Willow Hill (As much as I love this card, it being worth tapping 3 humans doesn't happen often.)

Could probably extend it to include 15-20 more cards but at that point there's not much of the original left, those are just the ones that stick out the most.

Oh and I almost forgot the best white lord in every tribal deck. Mirror Entity. This guy is the best.

Hope you're here to actually read this.

I'm a non-MTGO online only player (poor neet here), so I don't especially care about reprints personally, though it's probably good to look at the C16 stuff again 'cause it's new, and I can give Vorel a look for kicks sometime
I'm not super feeling that combo desu, but I could check some of the others
>Fishman
Thrasios? Seems redundant with Tymna

Then you get the best colors for playing Grace/Naus + Lab Man, while also playing hate bears and shit.

Then you randomly win with infinite mana anyways.

Let's say I want to play mono blue spellslinger and we pretend Azami doesn't exist for a minute

Is Kaho worse than Arcanis because she dies to removal and the spells get lost? Is there a better blue commander for spellslinging? I'd understand if Talrand is better than either, but I'd prefer not to play Venser or Teferi if their best play is to combo out.

Not really sure what my win con is other than "throw spells at people" but that's good enough for me for now

Kid Jace High tide is pretty good. if you want to avoid combo, then idk.

I didn't say it was good, I said he was decent.

Ludevic is decent because you will trigger him every time you cast a spell when they're both out. Vial Smasher wants you to play bigger spells, Ludevic helps you dig for them. He also encourages people to send damage other people's way, and is a decent blocker at 1/4.

Ludevic really reads, "Pay 1UR: deal 3 damage to a random opponent and draw a card." When Vial Smasher is in play.

How does he make your deck worse while in play?

He makes your deck worse by giving people card draw, especially since they can just kill vial smasher if they care about you drawing cards, then ludevic is a complete liability

There's a million and one ways to protect your commander, especially in blue. If vial smasher gets killed, that's your own damn fault.

Fun fact about Ludevic: he makes your enemies' shocks and fetches cantrip. Think about that

Ludevic is a group hug card that makes enemies hurt themselves/each other, nothing else.

Only once. And that's mana they aren't using earlier just so they can cantrip on their turn.

There's multiple things wrong with this but I'll focus on the main issue which is that even if you have both in play, this is happening:

Phyrexian arena draws them two cards. Toxic deluge cantrips, sylvan library let's them draw even more, Phyrexian mana spells cantrip

Ludevic is plain and simple one of the worst cards ever printed, he's a total liability, and spending your own precious counterspells to protect drawing 1 card per turn is retarded when you're being outdrawn by your opponents who have it much easier trying to trigger the draw

>Kid Jace High tide
Sounds brutal. Thanks, I'll check it out.

>Ludevic is plain and simple one of the worst cards ever printed, he's a total liability, and spending your own precious counterspells to protect drawing 1 card per turn is retarded when you're being outdrawn by your opponents who have it much easier trying to trigger the draw
Yeah but they're hurting themselves in the process!

PLUS Ludevic is a Partner card so he comes with a built-in +1 card advantage. Your opponents get to draw one card while you get one card AND KRAUM.

Sometimes I do this thing were I go into random threads with little replies and just type "No" and leave.

They can run all those effects if they want, but only one of them will cantrip per their own turn. They have to hurt themselves(or a different player) to draw a single card in their end step. It's sort of the point. Meanwhile, while Vial Smasher and Ludevic are on the board, you'll be guaranteed your draw every turn by casting any spell with a mana cost as your first spell, which you'll get more of from Ludevic in your end step.

p.s. nowhere did i suggest protecting ludevic. I suggested protecting Vial Smasher, who is more valuable, and countering a spell on your opponent's turn will actually trigger him. Ludevic's purpose is to draw you cards(because you'll proc him more reliably than anyone else), add blue to the deck, and block. In multiplayer situations, he's actually better- he discourages attacks against you because they don't get to draw when they attack you.

I'm sorry you're butthurt because Ludevic isn't as flavorful as you'd like, but he's not as terrible as you make him out to be.

>countering a spell on your opponent's turn will actually trigger him.
And ironically, that would draw THEM a card.

Yes, and?

If it really grinds your gears to have people drawing cards, run sac outlets so you can just sac Ludevic in response to vial smasher's trigger. There's always a way around it.