/gurpsgen/

Adventure Edition

How would you make lndiana Jones using only 150/50?

Question of the Thread:
How do you make your characters' backstory?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GURPS_Reign_of_Steel
wisegeek.com/what-is-female-bullying.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Serendipity, luck and plot armor

A lotta points back for Enemy (The Third Reich)

Indy is worth a bit more points than that.

That's the challenge

You can have the Chinese knockoff of Indy for that price.

I'd skimp pretty hard on real archaeology stuff and IQ. While he has those, they don't do much to define him and cost a lot. Two fisted adventureing as the primary focus, with just a splash of cheap set dressing skills to cover the archologist part.

Good enough

How much would the real Indy cost?

Then do what that guy said. I would also cut back on the languages, reputation, wealth, and have the core stats be as close to bog standards as you feel comfortable with. Also maybe have the luck be the minor one.

Around 400 I think.

What kind of stats for one of these early TL 6 torpedo boats? I'm thinking that they'd make a good 'adventure' ship, being suitable for fast work, small crews and occasionally doing damage far, far out scale with their size with the early torpedoes.

Here's my quick and dirty Indiana from the dedicated "Indiana stat" thread:

ST 12
DX 14
IQ 12
HT 12

Fists! - 17
Whip! - 18
Archaeologist! - 21
Fast talk - 12
Drive (automobile)- 13
Ride - 14

Signature gear (whip, hat)
Higher purpose ("it belongs in a museum!")
Dependent (dammit dad)
Phobia (snakes)
Ridiculous luck
Serendipity 2
Daredevil
Overconfidence
Cultural adaptability
Language talent
Destiny (to have his franchise burn unceremoniously to the ground) [disadvantage version]

Likes dangerous women (quirk)
Always loses his shirt dramatically at least once per adventure (quirk)
Benefits from bulletproof nudity rule (perk; bonus to dodge if he loses his shirt)

SM+6
HP/ST 85
Handling +0
Stability Rating 3
HT 10
Move 2/10
Loaded Weight 32.5
Load 4.5
Occupants 4+6
DR 3
Range 200

Armed with: Primitive Torpedoes (2 in drop racks, or 1 in tube +2 reloads) and can be armed with Maxim or Gatling guns. Note that range assumes only it's small coal bunkers are filled. A deck-load of coal would make it impossible to clear for combat action without dumping fuel overboard but would allow for better then a thousand miles of range.

I quite enjoy the GURPS resurgence in blogs recently. I'm really waiting for the kickstarter thing to ship just to see if more people are converted.

At an assumed -30% to weight, how much would you reduce the Min ST of a melee weapon by, on average, for that weight reduction amount?

Me too.
But I'm even more excited at the prospect of SJgames using the Kickstarter success as justification for future product launches that way. Would breathe life into all sorts of in-demand supplements.

It's a vapor dream, but I sometimes wish they'd Kickstarter for a Compendium 4e, where they just compile a cleanly updated, revised, and complete set of every book-and-Pyramid advantage, disadvantage, power, spell, and skill in one mega volume, like the old compendiums combined and multiplied.

Eh, even advantages from basic set and powers combined would be nice. Really annoying to jump back and forth between two books to read information on the one thing.

I would literally kill for a 4E compendium. Illustrated by the same guy that did the 3e one, ideally...

Per High Tech titanium blades have -25% weight with no reduction in required ST.

Low Tech Companion 2 page 15 has much more detailed rules for calculating ST from weapon weight, or you could reduce weapon size by the rules in Low Tech Companion 2 to get the ST you want, but that would also reduce damage.

Is it possible to rip text from a pdf without formatting issues like every line being a different line instead of a paragraph? You could make your own compendium if you did that and make your own book

A question about GURPS Alternate II, The Last Gasp; How the fuck are you supposed to travel by land with that recovery time?

>light load
>2FP/hour of travel
>3 hours travel -6FP
>now i need 18 hours to recover
>Move 5 in light load walks 6 miles in two days

So, GURPSgen, I was wondering about disadvantages.
Cursed seems to have a huge point rebate(-75), but it never really explains what it does. How powerful a disadvantage is it?
Also, would it perhaps be appropriate to apply to an entire race?

Cursed means you are the GM's bitch. There's really not much more to it; they can fuck with you when they want, how they want, from "lolno you failed, don't care what the dice say" to "take 8d cr to the skull; another piano fell on you."

It's not meant to be taken alone. Cursed exists for two reasons: to be taken with a number of limitations or to be applied as an Affliction. Compare it with Terminally Ill; the base version of the disadvantage is simply "you die," so there's not a lot to work with for either the GM or the player. However, Terminally Ill (Mitigator, weekly treatment, -65%) works as a disadvantage because it requires certain inconveniences (e.g. have to stay in an area where treatment is available, villains could influence the character by threatening to withold treatment, etc.), and Affliction (Terminally Ill) is a terrifying old-school curse.

I would either give the race Unluckiness instead or slap Cursed with a bunch of limitations so they have some sort of avoidable cultural taboo.

Some word processors allow you to replace special non-printing characters when CTRL+F'ing. Highlight the paragraph, replace the character for line break (I think it's "\$") with a space, and you should be good to go. If Word/Pages doesn't do this, I know OpenOffice/LibreOffice does.

That's pretty interesting. Thanks for the advice, however.
So for Limitations, theoretically, I could apply Cursed but link it back to behavioural things or perhaps some kind of substance?
(Sorry if this doesn't make sense. I'm really quite new to GURPS.)

Yep. If they have to do things to avoid the effects of Cursed, use Mitigator. If Cursed only applies during a specific time, use Accessibility.

If someone has been cursed by a god and needs to pray at their temple to avoid suffering, they have Cursed (Mitigator). Same if they need to eat a special fruit once a month or whatever.

If someone was cursed for being an asshole, they may have Cursed with the Accessibility limitation "Only after failing to resist Bad Temper/Bully/etc."

Fucking Veeky Forums ate my goddamn post and I don't feel like retyping all of that, so here's the tl;dr version.

>Hiking rules suck ass
>Walking at a liesurely pace (x0.2 of current encumbered Move) actually counts as resting and recovering FP, so that pace also means no FP loss. For a Move 5 dude with a light load, that's about 1 yd/second, which isn't bad (10 hours = 20 miles). I'm sure you can make this more efficient if you want to, alternating between a fast FP-draining speed and the slower FP-recovering speed.
>Other shit can fuck up your walk and make you lose FP (hunger, heat), but a gentle walk in temperate conditions isn't super exhausting.

Quick! Post your highest non-combat skill!

Gaming (GURPS) (E) IQ+4 [12]-14.
Writing (A) IQ+2 [8]-12, but Hidebound limits effectiveness to technical aspects like grammar, syntax, and punctuation.

I am setting up a "In system" GURPS space game. What tech level rage should I use?

(Old tech/Current tech/state of the art)
8-9-10
or 9-10-11

does anyone know if theres a premade campaign for post apoc/during apoc

thanks in advance

GURPS has almost zero pre-made things. I think there are a few standalone adventures scattered about 4e, mostly in Pyramid issues, plus the occasional setting like Havens and Hells. 3e had a larger number of published settings, but even then, I'm 99.9% sure there were no premade campaigns/adventure paths. After the End should give you the tools you need to write your own up, but you still need to put in the legwork.

>post apoc/during apoc
What type of Apoc are you looking for?

Check for GURPS: After the End I think it was called.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GURPS_Reign_of_Steel

Post Robot revolt Apoc

It's no premade campaign though, it's a setting.

where pcs are in a bomb shelter trying to survive a nuclear war, i know its pretty niche but i was hoping there was something on it.

Probably 9-10-11. If you go 8-9-10, you get GURPS High-tech, which is weird when put next to Ultratech (since some options in high tech are plain better than the ones in ultratech)

I have a homebrew campaign like that, but it not published. I could over the thanksgiving holiday update it to 4th edition and put it up if you really where needing help with ideas, or I could just give you a summary.

its fine, I was only looking for ideas and inspiration and I already have a pretty good idea already.

With pages of campaign ideas. It also has good stuff on survival.

Did anyone used KYOS in their game? What was your experience with it?

I'm using it, though it's had relatively little impactso far, mostly just made one of the PC's mech form a bit more affordable. I expect it to be more relevant later. I'm also gonna use it for an upcoming campaign, but I'm gonna have to adjust the ST bonus for power armor first.

My brain keeps parsing that as "kill your own self". Fuck.

hah, ditto
goddamn pol and tumblr

Quick question: Balanced characters or gimmicky characters?
Which one gets boring faster?

Gimmicky. Balanced characters can grow in any direction to best suit the campaign or whims of the player while a gimmick character will forever be a one-trick pony that can never grow beyond their starting gimmick without wasting all the points they sank in to it at chargen.

Anyone who can't help in at least half the scenes will get full fast. Balance or no, try for broad utility and something memorable about a PC

Not bait but is 3e broken? The numbers seem broken as fuck for dodge and attacking. I know passive defense is a thing but without armor I've got a 10% chance of dodging? Even parrying is shit. That 3 plus in 4e makes a big difference. Should I house rule it? I like a lot of 3e compared to 4e:

> All in one book
> damage type multipliers appear to be gone , they were cool but pissed me off
> rules just seem simpler in general
> escalating costs instead of straight costs for attributes

I miss perception and willpower as actual stats, and being able to modify basic speed with cp.

Anyway just general opinions on 4e vs 3e?

You can modify basic speed with points in 4th. It's 5 per .25 Basic Speed.

Attack and defense in 3rd are odd, especially when used to 4th's "if you don't fuck up 1/2 to 3/4ths of attacks wiff" setup.

DX 12 IQ 12 characters are a solid choice if you don't know what will happen in a game. For a few points you can get reasonably capable with almost any task. It's a big investment but this balanced/generalist PC will be useful all the time.

Yeah it just seems like 3e is auto hitting.

Say I have two master swordsman up against each other. Even with Swords 16 their parry is only 8. They hit on anything but a crit fail then have a 25% chance of partying, so like most attacks hit.it's like D&D 3.5 except even worse in terms of auto hitting

3rd edition was REALLY deadly.

>damage type multipliers appear to be gone
re-read campaigns:injury

Reread his post. He is talking about what he likes in 3e over 4e.

Though he is still wrong, as 3e had those as well. Page 74 of the 3e basic book.

Yeah I fucked up, I saw damage types in the glossary so I went back and checked.

So should I house rule the base 3 plus back,into dodge and parry?

If you insist on playing 3rd? it s a start.
But at that point, your gonna want to house rule in a lot of the 4th ed updates that differentiate them, and by that point, you might as well just be playing 4th ed

Guys, I'm reading up on GURPS and trying to get a feel for the system because I'm going to be playing a game soon. I'm through most of the basic set, but I read it pretty fast so I might be missing some (lots of) things.

I have a couple of questions regarding a scenario I thought up and I am unsure how it would play out:

Suppose my character, for the purposes of this exercise a martial artist, is facing a swordsman, and the swordsman is getting up in my face (but it's not combat yet). The swordsman has his sword in his scabbard and is yelling in my face about something or other and gesticulating wildly with his hands, he is clearly angry. Also assume that my basic speed is higher than his, although I'm not sure it's relevant in this case.

With his setup in mind, how would the two following scenarios go?

1. I want to pull out his sword from his scabbard and stab him with it. If I'm reading this right, it would be a quick contest of DX or a related skill (which skill?), then if I succeed, combat starts and I can take a step back and roll to hit. Am I right?

2. He goes for his sword, as he is drawing it I want to push his sword back into his scabbard and punch him in the face and then take his sword. I'm at a bit of a loss on how to go about this, but I'm thinking that I would need to roll to hit his sword hand with a grapple and go from there. Am I going in the right direction? Also, how does disarming work in GURPS, in general and in this case?

Combat begins at hostile intention, unless for some reason you have surprise. In this case, there'd be no surprise.

On your turn as an action you could perform a quick DX or Sword skill to take his Sword off him, if you are close enough to grab him.

2) I'd say this is a situation where combat starts and you act before him, Grappling his sword-arm before he can pull his weapon. On the same or the next turn you punch him in the face, then you can try to take his still-sheathed sword.

>Combat begins at hostile intention
I see, that does make sense.

One question though, how does that affect turn order? In case my basic speed is higher than his, I get first turn and can make a grab for his sword. But what if my basic speed is lower than his? When I tell the GM "I want to make a grab for his sword" combat begins and he gets first turn and he can use it to pull out the sword with a ready action without me being able to do anything about it?

>Previous thread:
seconding these. also linda telling the GM "I WAIT until X happens, then do Y" is what youre describing. "I wait for him to start shit, likely drawing that sword, and then go for his sword"
"I wa

>what if my basic speed is lower than his
Read up on 'surprise'

Would partial surprise rules apply in this case (scenario 1)? Or no surprise applies as said in

In that case, combat would start with him seeing you come at him. He reacts first, and gets first action because of his higher basic speed, unless you've somehow convinced him you aren't hostile or he isn't aware you are there.

If you said "I want to punch him in the face" the same would happen. He'd get to act first and know that shit was going down, but not your exact intentions.

>unless you've somehow convinced him you aren't hostile
Wouldn't the fact that he's yelling in my face (probably would be close combat range) and waving his arms wildly work in my favor, since he's obviously not ready for combat and his arms are in no position to reach for his sword?

In the space of 1 second? Unlikely. If he's not surprised, he knows the fight's already begun, and he can easily stop gesticulating and go for the sword in 1 second, hell, even less. A second is vanishingly short, but so surprisingly long as well.

This is why I roll initiative
1d6 variance add fun

No, really it works the other way. He's deliberately provoking you and doing something likely to solicitate a hostile response. A GM might put you into combat rounds already when in such a tense situation.

>If he's not surprised
That's my point, wouldn't he be surprised? We are standing close enough for our chests to almost touch, he is obviously not expecting combat (or he wouldn't have come as close) and his arms are up in the air while my arms down my sides near his sword.

Anyway, I kinda answered my question, in the end it's up to the GM whether he will let me surprise him or not, I guess.

Another way I could see it going, but I'm not sure if it's valid at all, is that if his basic speed is higher, combat could begin with my hand around his sword but with his turn, so he would get the chance to grapple the arm that's holding onto his sword or do whatever else.

>He's deliberately provoking you and doing something likely to solicitate a hostile response
I was actually envisioning a situation where the swordsman feels comfortable yelling at people and not expecting a hostile response (maybe a noble used to getting his way, a drill sergeant, or something like that).

Why do you have these pictures

In the case of an Overconfident Bully, I'd allow surprise.

Not him, but I seem to remember them being used in some form of anti-bullying campaign. Although I'm not sure whether it was satire or just bad choice of pictures.

>I'm 99.9% sure there were no premade campaigns/adventure paths.
3e had a number of shorter adventures, but not any full campaigns, I think. The Black Diamond series from Cliffhangers was supposed to be a full campaign, but only the prologue ever got released.

They just need one thing to be perfect.

No joke, I genuinely thought they were rape fetish pictures.

I was a little excited for a second there

I reverse searched the pictures and images from the same set appear in tons of anti-bullying websites and articles.

(for example: wisegeek.com/what-is-female-bullying.htm )

They appear to be stock photos of bullying.

>Question of the Thread:
>How do you make your characters' backstory?

I tend to start with a basic idea, a easy to grasp concept like "nurse" then work backwards within the setting to see how it works in there. I look at the skills I want and try to think of how I'd justify them (how does a nurse know how to shoot a gun?).

Pretty much think of the character, think of the questions and parts that don't make sense, then think of how they could make sense. Contradictions aren't something you have to avoid, you have to justify them.

I just realized they are taking turns to bully each other. also I really like redhead girl's style

>You'll never get bullied by these bitches
why live

Goddamn it, GURPSgen

New to gurps here.

I have 50 points for this
What is the closest to Yoshikage Kira's ability I can make with this budget?

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, I want a touch range explosion that won't blow me up as well.
Bonus points if it's silent and can be remote activated after touching the target.

Burning Attack X(Explosion 1, +50%; Low Signature, Detectable by people with special powers, +10%; Melee, Range C, -30%; Selective Area, +20%; Selectivity, +10%; Trigger, whenever I make the detonation gesture, +50%)[10.5/level]
each level does 1d of damage. For 3.5 points less a level, you can remove the explosion modifier and selective area, which don't actually seem relevant. Selectivity is so you can decide if you want to set a trigger or not, but likewise, you could turn off explosion too.

i've seen many boobplates before, but boobleather? thats new

Thank you so much, user. I don't even know what to say

>How do you make your characters' backstory?
It goes hand in hand with character creation. Also depends if I make the backstory after or before character creation.

>Before
Usually I think of a simple concept like a druid that's afraid of bears or a gunslinger who's most defining feature is his deformed hand.
From there I build off the concept, "why is the druid afraid of bears and how does he over come it?" Or "how and when was the gunslingers hand deformed? Was he born with it or is he hunting down the person that gave it to him?"
From there I build a character.

>After
Most of the time I start after creation, though. I'll take what I think are the character's most defining features and develop it from there. Usually I'll tie them together, for example if he's wealthy and also a bully, he was probably /that/ kid in school. Or maybe his fear of oceans and large bodies of water has a deep meaning behind it.

Who makes and controls Allies purchased, the PC or the GM?

I've always done it that the PC does, as long as they make proper in-character decisions. My new GM seems to disagree and I find that loss of agency kind of sucks some of the interest from me.

Opinions?

An ally is an npc as per raw.
They are implicit allies, but by definition are not in your direct control as a PC.

Are the WW2 rules for GURPS any good?

I want to run a straight up WW2 game with no fantasy or anything.

Yes, they are.
Check out High Tech for your requisite gun porn.

Hey gurpsgen, new to gurps and have been reading the gurps lite """"book""""

I want to design a Bloodborne/Van Halen esque hunting kind of thing. A lot of Castlevania style creatures and fights in it.

Is there a way to handle area of effect attacks for boss like creatures, or PC weapons that have areas of attack? Sort of like Final Fantasy Tactics. I specifically want my PCs to feel powerful and overwhelming. Most of my friends play tabletop games that make them feel too restricted.

Any good resources you could point me to for what I'm getting at would be greatly appreciated.

Yes they are.

There's rules for Large Area Attacks, tramping and being attacked by giants. A truly huge boss might have strikers that fill several yards, forcing you to move out of the area before they land or maybe dodge and drop away.

Otherwise, you can do odd areas of effect via Innate Attacks with suitable limitations and enhancements, though someone that knows them better then me would have to help you.

Very good, especially for infantry. There aren't quite enough AFVs statted up to do a armor-focused game without needing to do some work yourself if you want to do Char ibs vs Panzer IV battles.

You guys got much experience with it? What missions have you played / tried with it?

My games tend to go werid war 2 very fast, so they usually ended up with nice safety nets. Suprescience force fields, Nazi space magic guns, that sort of thing.

What I can tell you tho, is the era is very capable with its guns, and less than capable with body armor. Portable surgery is an option with better machined tools and trauma kits, but getting shot is a nasty brutish short way to go.

Some, yes.

Island hopping in the south pacific with a PT boat. Missions included providing SAR support for downed pilots after battles, scouting out positions of IJN ships, inserting and extracting small recon/commando teams on islands and a nighttime duel with a light cruiser where we snuck in close enough under fire and dodging searchlights to torpedo it, only to have the Mark 8 fail to do enough damage to really stop it. It did break off action and retreat though, so we can call that a win.

My other memorable one is pretty werid-war too, with a OSS unit made of werewolves, vampires and a witch fighting nazi oculist.

We played a next man up game, where the goal was to survive on the eastern front. When you died you went with the next PC. Unit died completely in Poland.