Steampunk

>Steampunk
>Victorian style dress and design coupled with retro futuristic technology such as steam engines, dirigibles, etc.

>Cyberpunk
>Futuristic Science Fiction with an emphasis on cybernetic implants, AI, and other forms of transhumanism

>Electropunk
>???

Can anyone tell me what Electropunk is? Sum it up as best as you can.

All of Tesla's designs come to fruition along with other turn of the century wonderments?

That's more diesel punk though.

It's shit

(Anything)-punk is shit.

Never heard of Electropunk. I know of Raypunk (which is like 50s sci-fi sorta shit) and Dieselpunk (which kindly described)

>Raypunk
>Early golden age sci-fi stuff and ray tubes with a punk spin

>Dieselpunk
>Mad max type world, petrol drives everything and it's the most important commodity

>Biopunk
>Like cyberpunk but with wetware instead of hardware.

What else am I missing?

Dieselpunk is eternal 40s. Mad Max is just post apoc, but Fallout has been called atompunk before -punk is stupid as shit

>Dieselpunk
>Mad max type world, petrol drives everything and it's the most important commodity

No, Dieselpunk is Art Deco, american 40s and Noir.

Huh, really? My mistake then.

Diesel is best punk desu.

THE WORD "PUNK" DOESN'T DESCRIBE THE TECHNOLOGICAL STATE OF THE WORLD, FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

Cyberpunk is cyberpunk, because it's both "cyber" AND punk - one deals with the wetware and Matrix and augmentations, while the other deals with the themes of corporate oppression.
Just the same, dieselpunk deals with military oppression, and steampunk deal with aristocratic oppression.
The first word describes the vital resource of the setting, while the second word deals with societal interactions.

YOU CAN'T JUST SLAP ON A WORD-PREFIX TO "PUNK" AND EXPECT IT TO BE A LEGITIMATE SETTING GENRE, BECAUSE YOU ONLY DEFINED HALF OF THE SETTING - THE TECHNOLOGICAL PART - WITHOUT DEFINING THE SOCIETAL PART.
WHO THE FUCK ARE "PUNKS" IN YOUR SETTING, HUH?

I'm so fucking triggered right now.

Also world wars.

Sky-pirates, obviously.

But all of them deal with humans being supplanted by technology, be it in labour, ethics or sentience.

>Can anyone tell me what Electropunk is?

Everything is powered by batteries and the Triboelectric effect, Napoleon has conquered Russia and the USA is at war with France all across Louisiana.

Italy matters.

People who insist on using the concept of "x-punk" are fucking idiots. Yeah, we got Steampunk and Cyberpunk before fucking drooling mongoloids completely ruined that line of genre labeling, which I guess is cool. Anything past that is retarded and dead.

What is the real story behind the obsession with shitty and meaningless genre labeling anyway?

I find it weird that both of those became genres with very defined aesthetics even if the punk prefix becomes largely redundant. Like when someone says steampunk you can put together a concept of what an item is and what it looks like and the same for cyberpunk which is strange because by definition the punk is meaningless because you look only at an item.

The problem is not really the punk prefix, because let's be honest, it's largely meaningless. After all, it's a label, the actual content and meaning of the individual parts of the label don't mean jack shit.

The problem is with the obsession to have exact labeling for every singe minor subgenre and variant, and then policing others about their "proper use".
Aside from being pretty pathetic as a case of "I desperately need to be right about something, I'm too lazy to be educated, so I'm going to argue that I'm right about things that don't exist, and not in an academic way either", it's actually just plain harmful to the fantasy and sci-fi genres in large.

Genre labels and restrictions should undermined, not fucking cemented and reinforced. The more formal impositions on a genre there are, the worse content it will produce. It's simple math: you want LESS of genre, more of classic culture.

So this shit is not only pointless and fabricated, it's downright harmful.

>The problem is not really the punk prefix, because let's be honest, it's largely meaningless. After all, it's a label, the actual content and meaning of the individual parts of the label don't mean jack shit.

Agreed. The point I forgot to make there was you end up with too many preconceived notions as you're saying there. Cyberpunk carries the punk connection but as said there is plenty of instances where it doesn't come up but it's the only label we have so we get the bitching of "it's not cyberpunk" and then we try make a new label instead of expand on what we have. I'm working on a little homebrew thing but I can only ever reduce it to cyberpunk because no other comparable exists even though the punk element does not exist and it's viewed as a crime to not play it as it is defined.

You'd think archetypal description would be reductionist but oddly it seems to be in this case the more freeing option because you lose a lot of baggage and constraints because you aren't playing to "muh correct depictions". Saying 'fantasy' gives you room even if it isn't descriptive in most cases which is the lesser evil I'd make the case for.

>not powering your shit with the erath current
Do you even fight abhumans, user?

I thought 1950's stuff was 'Atom-punk'?

*suffix.

A prefix goes before (hence 'pre'), an suffix goes after.

The aesthetic was called raygun gothic. It is probably an older term than you.

>>Steampunk
>>Victorian style dress and design coupled with retro futuristic technology such as steam engines, dirigibles, etc.
>>Cyberpunk
>>Futuristic Science Fiction with an emphasis on cybernetic implants, AI, and other forms of transhumanism

Cyberpunk is 80s aesthetic, Steampunk is Victorian aesthetic. Electropunk/Diselpunk is Edwardian aesthetic.

Why is it everyone forgets the -punk suffix is there because the story focus is on balking against the status quo, social inequality and bourgeois decadence

Steampunk is more "faggots glued a bunch of non-functional gears to their clothing and think steam can power everything".

>Fallout has been called atompunk
>Great War was over oil

>Electropunk
All the people who likes to add punk in any word being electrocuted to death.

Damn girl those are some fat tits.

>Nuclear-powered cars
>Microfusion batteries for guns
>Fission batteries for elevators and vehicles
>Fusion cores for power armor
>Man-portable nuclear weapons
>Radiation is literally magic

The whole aesthetic runs on the 50s idea of "nuclear power can do anything!"

You can see why people call it atompunk

My favorite part of -punk threads are the autists who insist that -punk isn't a well-known and commonly understood shorthand for "element featured prominently in this setting".

Peplums are sandalpunk and westerns are coltpunk.

So according to you Stranger Things is Cyberpunk?

Fuck off with your ignorant bullshit.

C'mon, you already know he means Blade Runner, Johnny Mnemonic, Robocop and the like. Why get this mad?

>My favorite part of -punk threads are the autists who insist that -punk isn't a well-known and commonly understood shorthand for "element featured prominently in this setting".

It's not, it's the second part of the genre being anti-establishment and focused around oppression of the masses by the wealthy few.

Steampunk that features players as aristocrats isn't Steampunk, it's some Victorian retro-futurism.

Solarpunk
Nanopunk
Cypherpunk
Japanese Cyberpunk

All of these are more prominent in the real world or fiction than say Dieselpunk or Raypunk(which isn't a proper genre btw)

No one is mad so stop projecting. He's wrong and very ignorant of the subject he's trying to teach. There is _nothing_ in cyberpunk literature that forces you to use 80s aestetics.

>It's not
No user, it most definitely is my favorite part of -punk threads.

This is the truth that so many self-proclaimed "punk-fans" doesn't even know of.

Trivia: The word steampunk was first coined as a joke to describe certain sci-fi authors style. It wasn't until 1990 that a proper steampunk book was written and the term actually described something real.

>No user, it most definitely is my favorite part of -punk threads.

I mean't you were wrong, not that it was your favorite part.

I don't get where the term Raypunk comes from. The setting and aestetics already has a name and it's Raygun Gothic. There's nothing punk about it either.

Is this really just the results of a trend of cyberpunk/steampunk fans adding the word punk to everything that's "old-looking"?

Avatar : Legend of Kora had a nice take on it, I thought.
Elemental benders were still a huge force into the world but it was clear that their influence was lessening as technology marched on.

Sure, electric bending was great in power plants but a coal furnace could do the same and didn't required special talent and years of training.

Sure, metal bending was great but, again, there were so few people able to do it that tanks and mechs piloted by normal people were better for large-scale warfare.

Technology was closing the powergap between normal people and what was essentially "magic users".

Yet, as technology grew, individual worth declined sharply.
under the benders, a normal man was not much.
Yet, in the new order of things, he was less than nothing.

I mean, aesthetically he's not wrong?

Triggerpunk!

I thought it was just retro sci-fi

Only cyberpunk is punk. Steampunk is just stealing the naming style, which turned it into a naming convention for everything that came after.

This is why cyberpunk is the only actual "-punk" genre.

Cyberpunk that isn't punk is just sci Fi

>an angry punkpunker appears

Yeah like how here in America Nixon had the Watergate hotel scandal and that was huge but now every scandal is something-gate even though that makes no fucking sense.

>Cyberpunk is cyberpunk, because it's both "cyber" AND punk - one deals with the wetware and Matrix and augmentations, while the other deals with the themes of corporate oppression.
>Just the same, dieselpunk deals with military oppression, and steampunk deal with aristocratic oppression.
>The first word describes the vital resource of the setting, while the second word deals with societal interactions.
But that's wrong, you moron. I get that a vocal few WANT it to be this way, but just saying it doesn't make it so.

In reality, it's like says: steampunk was formed by analogy with cyberpunk because some of the same writers were prominent in boosting it early on and because it likes to use the same kind of tech but in a retro, Victorian-zeerust way. All subsequent -punk genres are just associating to the fantastic retrotech element of steampunk. Nobody's obligated to include MUH OPPRESHUN and in practice few do, most steampunk is pure Vernian adventure that if anything, revels in aristocracy, and in the same way dieselpunk is usually either straight Doc Savage or filthy-but-optimistic American Dream stuff (e.g. victory means liberty and riches and is always achieved with inventiveness, machinery and a reckless, gung-ho spirit because what matters is DRIVE, GOD DAMNIT, not expertise or care or any of that quiet fag shit, the best way to repair an engine is to bash it with a humongous monkey wrench).

Extremely good analogy.

xpunk is retarded

so ELECTRO punk? 1980's mixed with the leftover vestigials of cyberpunk's obsession with AI and what they'd look like

by the way everybody is made out of electricity to some extent. So we'd probably be living in cities that are vast conductors and have strange configurations of the human body in accord

It's OK user, I'm sure you have other qualities

^^^

And yet everyone instantly knew what "Deflate-gate" meant, meaning the suffix is correctly functioning as a shorthand method of conveying information.

It's cute how you guys think the origin of words is more important than their utility.

>punk
Can't we have metal instead?

My setting is a mix of Clockpunk and Biopunk.

>Triggerpunk
>Literally everything is gun based
>all technology is powered by gunpowder
>people are transported from place to place by firing themselves out of giant revolvers in bullet shaped capsules
>all architecture is built with classic gun aesthetics. Barrels, intricate murals carved into the iron, flintlock triggers to activate literally everything, etc.
>ironically the use of gunpowder in weaponry is outlawed and everyone uses swords
>that or every weapon is somehow supplemented with gunpowder. Exploding gauntlets, daggers fired from wrist mounted revolver barrels, et .
I would genuinely play the fuck out of this setting.

Only heavy metal, user.

I'm not sure a plane with a suicide man-guided torpedo-with-a-cock-pit can have ANY value other than zero for their "nobility" stat.

>bigimage
Are you using a CRT?

How about some Seapunk?

>ironically the use of gunpowder in weaponry is outlawed and everyone uses swords
Why would anyone give a fuck about that when pretty much anything in the setting could be used as a gun? And wouldn't criminal factions have home made firearms?

Ever played enter the gungeon?

Because it's a joke

Electropunk is really just dieselpumk, but with batteries, crystals, or capacitors instead of internal combustion.

Actually, "cyber" in this context has nothing to do with technology. The original meaning of the term has to do with regulatory systems (e.g. large-scale social engineering). It applies to "cyberpunk" because of the corporate control of society. Please recall that the original works of cyberpunk aren't even futuristic.
That's why every other -punk is so fucking stupid - cyberpunk is a theme, while every other -punk is an aesthetic.

The "punk" suffix is what is important here. All of the X-Punks should be about rebellion from societal norms in whatever period and aesthetic they represent. For some reason though this is almost never done. Instead things are given an aesthetic and then played more or less straight but with anachronistic technology. The exception to this is Cyberpunk which is almost always played correctly because muh hackers.

>Steampunk
Victorian era, positivism, aristocracy, industry, colonialism, naked imperialism.

>Cyberpunk
Near Future, nihilism, anarchy, liberty, corporate oppression, transhumanism

I add one more that is gradually entering the canon:
>Dieselpunk
WWII Era, ideology, fascism, communism, total war, chemical warfare, mud, genocide

>Electropunk
From context I would theorize that this would be set sometime in the 1970 or early 80s, at the height of the Cold War, with the primary themes being nationalism, the great game, nuclear war, fear of nuclear war, and idyllic middle-class life.

In other words, Cyberpunk was what people in the 80s thought 2016 would look like, and Electropunk would be what people from 2016 think the 70s and 80s looked like. In this case, the people trying to predict the future would probably hit closer to the mark than the people simply trying to remember the past.

>Whalepunk
Everything runs on whale oil, but otherwise steampunk.

>Secretpunk
Secrets are the main tradeable currency, knowing how things work literally makes them work.

>Office Punk
People are trapped in eternal overtime-hell. Have to battle boss with office equipment. Spreadaheet management is a combat skill. +5 highlight markers are the holy grail.

>Punk Punk
Your power level is derived from the amount of -punk cliches you can embody. Punk haircuts are mandatory.

Wrong.

The -punk suffix has nothing to do with the actions or forcing the player characters into a specific mold. That's like saying you can ONLY play good campaigns if you do High Fantasy, or that you can ONLY do gritty cop stories if you play a 'detective' style system.

The actual punk suffix simply means a well understood and easy to communicate model of the retro futuristic styling of the game world and how its general 'fantastic' elements are arranged.
>Steampunk- Steam engine technology
>Dieselpunk- Gas engine /interwar period technology
>Atompunk- Fallout Style Atomic technology
>Cyberpunk- Cybernetic and human enhancement technology

You can use this system to easily describe a setting with a similar technological bent; such as electropunk for whatever OP is looking for, or DaVincipunk for a future where Da Vinci's machines seem to be dominate, etc.

>Commonly accepted over clarity and logic
Uneducated scum or humanities detected.

>Cypherpunk
What.

Is it like, regular RL tech level but focuses on encrypting data?

and nazis, don't forget nazis

>>all technology is powered by gunpowder

Gundriver, a manga, has mechs that are powered by giant crotchguns.

That's retarded. The term punk was meant to denote grunge, collapsing social order and the breakdown of authority. Perhaps most importantly, the embracing of those things and the rejection of stability and normalcy. What you're describing is just a tech-level. It isn't Punk if there's no Punk.

I.E., if you have a setting played entirely straight that's 2040s, realistic, everyone's wired up with cybernetics but there is no cultural pathos or anti-establishment sentiment visible in the work, and the characters are not shaped by this theme in the setting, it isn't really Cyberpunk, it's just science fiction.

>The term punk was meant to denote grunge
I know what you mean, the phrasing is just funny.

Doesn't "punk" as a term for the sort of anti-authority people you're describing come from punks adopting that label - as bestowed by the angry old generation/authority - as their own?

Meaning the truest punks would just be people who piss off authority, surely.

>Enter -punk thread
>Thread consumed by stupid Descriptvism vs Prescriptvism argument

The thing is, both sides are correct.

At first, the -punk suffix was intended to convey a punkish, against-the-man story genre, with the prefix intended to describe the setting.

As time went on, and other -punk genres were explored, people stopped writing proportionally as much actual punkish stories in -punk universes. The word has evolved/devolved into shorthand for retrofuturistic settings. There's still a difference between, say, a bright steampunk setting and a retrofuturistic victorian setting, but it's one of splitting hairs.

The term has degraded so much that to describe the original cyberpunk settings one needs to use language like "true cyberpunk" or "dystopic cyberpunk" but that's the current state of the language, and derailing the thread further serves no purpose.

To answer OP's question, Electropunk leaves a little open to interpretation, but then, all the -punk genres do nowadays. Is the city of Rapture in Bioshock an example of deiselpunk with its art-deco and level of mechanical sophistication, or retrobiopunk with the central focus on ADAM and plasmids?

Your setting must focus on electricity as the basis of technology. No gunpowder or gasoline, use batteries or tesla coils. As far a society goes, it would probably be set in the cold-war era, but I could see an argument for victorian electropunk, napoleonic electropunk, or raygun electropunk if you really stretched it.

(Incendentally, while I agree that the setting's called raygun gothic, there might be room for an actual raypunk genre, if you subtracted the pulp elements from the former as the starting point.

If he was projecting it would mean he was mad, but he doesn't seem mad. does seem mad though, you can tell from his last sentence. Can you even imagine a person saying that without being mad? I can't. Additionally, you seem mad too but I think you're probably the original angry guy, explaining your butthurt about being called mad to begin with. If you don't want to be mad you can try typing like a calm adult instead of a child who isn't getting his way. Just a helpful tip for you, newfriend. :)

>Can anyone tell me what Electropunk is?
The 1980s.

NO U