Trade and Commerce in the New World

Elegan/t g/entleman,
help me expand my humble setting.
I wrote a financial education system compatible with most ttrpg's and am
going to test run it with a group of normie friends that have never before played anything ttrpg related.
The setting so far is basically the Caribbean under Spanish rule during the 17th century.
A new ore has been discovered there
and the kings and dukes of the old world pay extraordinary prices for it, which led to a gold rush.
There is also a big landmass just a few days of travel by ship to the west of "Las Antillas" as I called my archipelago.
Most people think, that this landmass is probably really rich in the new iron ore but no expedition that set foot on it
was ever heard of again.
There are three bigger settlements on "Las Antillas", Port Azur, Fort Royal and Puerto Santa Azara, the first is controlled by a
conglomerate of corporations and rather pluralistic, while the Santa Azara and Fort Royal are controlled by the crown of Spain.
The players will be able to purchase assets ranging from ships, commodities, real estate and factories, to slaves, mining operations
and many more. 1/3

Storywise what I have so far is that the party grew up in Port Azur and starts working for one of the big trade companies
and get to know Las Antillas by travelling by ship from one plac to the other and have the opportunity to learn the fundamentals
of markets and trade.
After a few months they get a special job, which is safely getting the Governor of Puerto Santa Azara to Port Azul for a trade conference.
At night, while the sea is calm their ship gets boarded and attacked by tribal warriors from the new world, who kidnap the governor and kill everyone else.
They as the only survivors are stranded on a small island. There they have to play a bit survival and stumble upon a grotto, in which they find a ship and some treasure,
with a skelleton holding a map, the map to one of the riches and secret locations of the legendary pirate, who has terrorized the colonies of
the crown for decades. The skelleton also wears an amulett made of a big chunk of the new ore and is not as "dead" as they might have thought.
Coming back into civilization they will find Port Azur and Puerto Santa Azara at the brink of war as the gouvernors widow wants retribution
for the death of her husband and thinks the entire thing was no accident.
The players will have to come up with a plan to find the governor to avoid an all out war between the factions.
Luckily the map they just found seems to show a path up, against the seeming current of a big river into the heart of he new landmass.
As soon as they get there they will find a huge inland sea, with two civilizations at war, one being human and the other being
Yuan-Ti (who kidnapped the governor and actually replaced his wife with a pureblood).
They will also find out, why the old world pays such high prices for the mineral ore, because being in contact with it
makes you a lot more powerful (leading to the difficult decision making of using it to level up or sell it to buy more assets
and/or hire mercenaries). 2/3

Give me your input, plot hooks, interesting and inspiring locations, clever twists, and whatever you can think of.
Will dump some related art in the meantime. 3/3

tl;dr
Caribbean, pirates, Spanish, Aztec warriors, good stories, plot hooks etc.

Iron would not have called a "gold rush", because gold and silver were still being discovered, iron was not expensive at the time, and iron is not that easy for the average Joe to mine.

What do you mean iron?

>because gold and silver were still being discovered, iron was not expensive at the time, and iron is not that easy for the average Joe to mine.
>>>
> OP 11/22/16(Tue)12:02:13 No.50346249 ▶
ah, I actually wrote iron once, thanks a lot, I am but a fool.
The new mineral is a greenish shimmering ore, that can be smelted into something harder than steel.

>I wrote a financial education system
What, exactly, do you mean?
Like, the players will need to read up on the first 3 hours of an econ 101 course to do well in your campaign?

the opposite, the players will be able to buy assets and have events in the world, like a drought have an influence on the prices of what they own.
The basic idea was to teach people with no idea of how the business world works in a fun way that there is nothing hard about figuring out whether you should buy a house to live in or maybe keep living in a rented apartment and buy a share in a factory, that provides you way better returns.

I wrote the system with the thought in mind, that many people are scared of the financial markets and are being told crap like (I'm living in germanic Europe, where real estate prices are absurd atm) "An apartment to rent out is the best way of securing your rent". And people in general are way more scared of any risk than they are in the States.
So I wanted to use the Caribbean setting to portray markets in their most basic function, supply and demand and those two being different in at different places for reasons. And if you are the one who sits in between you can make a lot of money.

It sounds like it could be pretty fun. I like games with a bit of comfy "empire building", and a fine ship could double as a really cool party-homebase.

I'm all for it. I just had an immediate red-flag, that this was gonna be some contrived pulpit for spouting libertarian propaganda at a bunch of innocent roleplayers.

I am a massive "empire building" fan myself and always mourned the lack of options to invest my hard earned gold pieces into something which is not hookers and rum.
It is more a contrived pulpit for spouting basic capitalistic ideas and how most European welfare systems are not going to work for much longer and you have to forge your own future monetary wealth.

You lulled me into a false sense of security, but now my red flags are all up again.
If you want players to have fun building a mercantilistic empire, make that campaign.
If you want to masturbate about the failure of welfare-states, go read Atlas Shrugged.

As an economics-student, there is literally nothing more disgusting than people who read like two Ayn Rand books, and "Road to serfdom" and now they follow the mises institute on twitter and think they understand the most fucking complex subject in human history.

I got a masters in finance and have 32 employees.
Do the maths, there is no way the German pension system works much longer as is.
Retirement age is getting higher and payments are going to get lower.
There is nothing secret or politic about this my friend.

People who do banking/value paper always think they understand wealth of nations, because "If I got rich, then I must understand how everyone could get rich" - it's bullshit. Bankers have a centuries-long history of wrecking national economies.

I won't comment on the state of the German pension-system, because I'm not well informed about it at all.

Expanding on my point in the trade in the 18th/19th century Caribbean was anything but capitalistic.
It was a mess of mercantilism, guilds and "Letters of Marque", cold war and state-tampering and just shitloads of regulation on all sorts of trade.

Part of the reason the americas eventually rebelled against the british was that the british actually had laws AGAINST refining raw-materials outside of England. They were required to ship cotton & other materials back to England, so that english mills could rework it, and then sell it back to the americans.

All that being said, I still think it sounds like a solid campaign-idea. Just don't make it a political thing, were you try to educate players about the inevitability of the EU-collapse or some shit.

That was never my intention and quite frankly I have no idea how we got here.
I just wanted an empire building campaign with pirates and a mysterious land of adventure, danger and riches. In which you can buy and sell stuff with different prices at one place than at the other.
at least got some interesting plot hooks in the end?

BUT IM NOT DONE BEING AN ASSHOLE!

The local authorities (governor and a few nobles and wealthy merchants) on one island instigate a hunt for a notorious local pirate-lord. Capt. Sudenmont is a gentleman scoundrel, who always leaves as many crew alive as possible, and is known for his habit of dining with captured officers, though he never takes off his mask.
Through random happenstance the party notice that one of the local notables has a butler who looks suspiciously like the first mate on Sudenmonts ship... They investigate only to discover that one of the very same nobles hunting the pirate-lord, is the pirate-lord himself.

Will they befriend him, and use the situation to their advantage? Bring him to justice? Perhaps travel to his sea-cave hideout, that can only be accessed at low tide?

That is something that works quite well, thank you.

Pretty interesting

ROCK SOLID! i love it, i wish i was the normie friend

Thanks a lot, the art is great. Will steal it and use it for one of the female corporate managers.