What health problem could one reasonably expect for humans forced to wear body armor/environment suits almost...

What health problem could one reasonably expect for humans forced to wear body armor/environment suits almost constantly? Like, in an environment where only a few extremely rare isolated bases have areas safe for human habitation? Lack of vitamin D due to sunlight deprivation which can also lead to sleep disorders and similar springs to mind, and naturally pretty trivial stuff like skin conditions.

itchy skin

Skin conditions would probably be a big one if there wasn't something built into the suit to stop it. You'd get terrible acne I'd imagine. Depending on the weight distribution you might end up with muscle problems or shit like that. Vision might get weird if you're always looking through tinted visors.

In Halo, the power armor was sensitive to small muscle movements (you would twitch your palm to grip something, shrug your shoulder to shoulder a weapon, etc). Maybe the wearer's large muscle groups atrophy after extended use?

I imagine that acne/skin conditions would be the biggest issue, yeah. Do colored lenses really affect vision?

Depends if the armor is taking all the weight off or just giving extra strength?

>Do colored lenses really affect vision?

To a certain extent yeah. If you wore them continuously for months or even years I feel like if you ever took them off shit would look really wrong for a while. It would probably be even worse with night vision or displayed images.

Then I'd say that might be a problem.

Say that the people are on a planet which has a very dense atmosphere, or dangerous radiation that isn't filtered out by an ozone layer, so the humans need to have lenses on their helmets to filter that out. Would be pretty painful for them to go back to Earth or an Earth-like planet afterwards.

Maybe it can be helped somewhat by something resembling sunlight therapy? Go into a secure base, take the suit off and just sit around in "natural" sunlight for a few hours once in a while?

I believe the figure is after 3 days your brain will adapt to new visual stuff.

The old example is that if you wear glasses that invert the world, after three days of wearing them the world will appear rightsideup, take them off and then it will be upside down again for about that long.

The brain is actually pretty cool actually in how much it really just can make up whatever it wants about the world.

Lots and lots of chafing, acne, and other conditions coming with unsanitary circumstances, as you won't have much time to clean it.

If you're using catheters for waste disposal, incontinence is in the cards.

Temporary sensitivity to light and sound after tinted glasses and shielded ears.

Lice if you're unlucky.

Added stress on, and quicker detoriation of every load-bearing joint, from the beck down to the ankles, including the disks between the vertebrae and the ligaments keeping your legs straight.

Those are just the ones on top of my head.

I feel like hair loss is a possibility, but I don't have any concrete science to back me up.

>rashes
>sores
>ingrown hairs
>hair loss
>vitamin D deficiency
>constriction and possible collapse of blood vessels
>an overall weakening of the skin
>i don't know the term but the way skin gets pale and smelly when wearing a bandage

>Lice if you're unlucky.

They'd have to specifically get introduced into someone's suit by someone fucking up, I imagine.

It really depends on what level of technology we are talking here.

Are these suits hastily put together things made from old industrial loaders and shit?

A lot of potential problems there, wrong body mechanics, deformation due to use over lifetimes, damaged tendons, ligaments, and fractures if you use it wrong. Poor air filtration and possible leakage can cause all sorts of neural and body damage. Etc etc.

Is it futuristic nano tech that took 25 years to design?
Probably going to have a lot less problems and the ones it does have are probably going to be minor inconveniences, like maybe the water reclamation system gets a bit wonky and sometimes feeds you your own piss once in a blue moon.

>>i don't know the term but the way skin gets pale and smelly when wearing a bandage

It's called skin maceration, and it's a result of the damp environment that forms under a bandage. Your skin doesn't breathe right and is in contact with moisture for too long. It can lead to actual infections too.

I forgot to add
>acne
>spending on the tightness of the suit and partially if oxygen not brought in contact with the skin you can expect the skin to start peeling, cracking, and bleeding

True. Apply Murphy's Law, though...

and again I forgot something
>incontinence
Which along with a few of the other things I mentioned are actually a side effect of prolonged used of skinny jeans.

Vision loss / the development of near sightedness would be entirely possible depending on how the helmet was constructed.

What tech levels are we talking here?

Fungi on their skin.
Like athlete's foot, but on a lot of their body.

Trench foot, all over your entire body.

>character is suited up in armour
>can't take it off as they are taking their identity of their father after their death.
>gets recruited to a pirate group.
>spends weeks entrapped in suit as no bite of privacy in such a small ship.
>shitters always got a line.
>fresher always in demand.
>itching constantly
>suit pinches due to different body builds
>prays for mercy in a form of a scratching post
>or pic related

In the case of Spartans, they were strong as fuck because you HAD to be strong as fuck to "reign in" the armors movements. The first generations of Mjolnir would actually kill normal humans who tried to use it, since they lacked the strength and physical toughness to control the armor when things like getting shot caused them to want to twitch (which the armor would exaggerate into movements that literally tore muscles and broke bones, leading the person wearing the suit to spasm out even more and cause more damage).

Depends on how tight the suit is.

Another thing to watch out for is fluid in the ears, ear infections, and hearing loss. A family member who worked in telecom said that these were common issues around the office, along with unusually high cancer rates especially in certain divisions of the company.

It was a less a matter of physical strength than it was durability of their bone structure. Normal calcium carbonate just couldn't handle the stresses.

Depending on the tech level, I'd expect more psychological issues. Potentially agoraphobia, dependency on the suit, and god knows what sort of fetishes.

>Republic commando quest will never come back
;_;

Psychological issues of dependence. Feeling naked without coverings

Well, I mean...

I feel the psychological aspects are severely underestimated.

Full body suits are relevant to my interests. Bumped

Yeah, but Halo is retarded.

>god knows what sort of fetishes
I... may have developed some without ever using a suit...

Fetishists back to /d/

Silly user, don't you know?
Veeky Forums is /d/-lite.

If the suit is some sort of power armour then muscle atrophy would occur after prolonged use.

Might sound silly, but I imagine if you spend a lot of time inside a shell that adds an inch all around your body and weights possibly a lot, it might affect your coordination.
You become used to the weight and inertia of your armored limbs. Maybe it also feels like wearing boots with really thick soles.

That stuff can mess with you suddenly raise your feet to high on a staircase or your reflexes are attuned to the weight of your armored limbs. Might just be temporary, but still.

How young would they be when they had to start wearing a suit 24/7?

Because early childhood development is where you're going to get all the really fun mental issues from.

does anyone know if BFs flak88s are plastic. for some reason their website isnt displaying correct? How hard are they to put together?

So how would you prevent your skin from being disgusting?

It the suit was controlled via direct nerve connection, being disconnected could result in some seriously disorienting Phantom Limb Syndrome.

>participating in daily workout / skin exposure in the clean room
>benching a whopping 50 kilos
>suddenly communicator beeps
>keep my eyes on the weights (no spotter) and reach for my communicator with my upper right arm
>can't seem to find it even though I can hear it
>look to my right and realize I don't naturally have 4 arms

I don't get it. I don't see a difference after the color change.

Depends on how well the armor was made. Halos armor was literally a second skin that held them together, thermoregulated, and had several other features that made it amazingly good armor. The only thing that happened was the armor sometimes moved to fast and could rip tendons or break bones and made them all pasty white. Other than that it was pretty based...

unless it offered resistance as well as assistance.

that is real as fuck my man, I like the way you think.

Imagine having phantom limb for your entire skin, combined with neurological superman syndrome, all while being perfectly healthy

The psychological effects could potentially kill you when you think about it.
When an individual plays one video game for a period of time and then switches to a new game they can find themselves accidentally pressing the wrong buttons and acting on the rules of old game.
Now forgetting that the current game has fall damage because the one you were playing doesn't, is annoying but a minor inconvenience. However forgetting that real life has fall damage is a tad more troubling.

This would be pretty cool, imagine colonists on some water world where humanity is extracting some deep sea resource who live most their lives in what is essentially an octopus mech.

Sentenced to Prism by Alan Dean Foster.

Next question.

Dammit I forgot how sexy those suits were.

>I don't get it. I don't see a difference after the color change.

Stare at the dot in the center and don't look away from the dot or blink as the numbers count down. Because the colors shown during the countdown are the opposites of the colors that the castle would normally be, your eyes translate the black&white photo as color.

Stare at this image for 15 seconds without moving your eyes or blinking, then look at a white wall or piece of paper, and the US flag will appear on the white surface in its correct colors.

Would someone slowly become a never nude?

*/d/ is Veeky Forums-lite

I am reminded of the mask wearing elves story, as these suits may not allow individuals to show off their bodies (not just their figure but their face). Having ways of signifying identity may be a psycho-social necessity. This could mean transparent visors or projecting images of one's face across the helmet, decorating the suits, and even adding different sizes of boob plate to allow for natural displays of fitness as a mate.

Skin conditions, namely bedsores. The whole reason coma patients get a sponge bath is to remove the fungi and bacteria that build on the skin that are normally sloughed off in the course of a regular human's day/shower. Also constant HUD illumination would disrupt circadian rhythms and likely eliminate regular sleep patterns as a thing in their lives, leading to mental fatigue and related psychological issues. Several environmental suits in fiction take the former into account, but since light affecting sleep patterns is a relatively new discovery, the latter is either not considered or the suits weren't designed for prolonged use anyway. That being said a culture capable of having enough powered suits/armor for near constant use it would most likely be safe to assume that they have taken those things into a account and compensated for them. Oh and if there is powered motive assistance there is a real possibility of muscle atrophy.

Respiratory problems, depending on how well the respiration system is cleaned. Warm damp air from breathing means molds and bacteria in your respirator.

Also, depending on how latrine functions are handled, you could be at risk for everything from diaper rash to urinary tract infections to fecal contamination of just about everything.

Unless you have a way to scrub the interior of the suit clean, you'd be living in a petri dish of infectious agents. A simple sore would turn gangrenous or staph ridden.

Interpersonal touch deprivation can lead to increased stress and depressive thoughts.

And LEWD thoughts.

Weakened immune system anyone?

I'd imagine though that there would be a weaning-off period to address symptoms like this, a week or two of dialing down suit functions and removing layers and pieces, to give the wearer time to become reacustomed to living without their suit on.
Well unless you handwave with nanomachines son, you can't really without the wearer regularly removing their suit and washing themselves. Humans are just naturally unsanitary things, filth and junk would build up on the surface of a person's skin and the skin cells wouldn't be able to fall away and take surface contaminants with it. Not only that but people also sweat pretty constantly when stressed or overheated, and unless a suit can recycle 100% of that, it's also going to build up pretty rapidly. All in all a fully enclosed environment suit is going to get pretty miserable after only a few days time.

Claustrophobia from being crammed in the suits constantly.

Agoraphobia when removing the suit.

Dissociative disorders due to not seeing your own face or that of your companions for long periods of time.

Atrophy in minor muscle groups due to the suit's limited range of movement.

Urinary tract infections and impacted bowels due to extended use of the suit's "plumbing" arrangements.

Nose deafness (i.e. you reak and don't realize it) due to stewing in your own BO 24/7.

>That stuff can mess with you suddenly raise your feet to high on a staircase or your reflexes are attuned to the weight of your armored limbs.

It would be like getting your "sea legs".

I did that, I still don't see anything.

>Nose deafness (i.e. you reak and don't realize it) due to stewing in your own BO 24/7.

This

Tooth decay and gum infections since you are not regularly maintaining oral hygiene.

Depends on what you're eating.

Well, let's start with 'itchy skin'.

Depending on how constantly you wear it you're going to be trapping moisture next to your skin and in the suit itself. So taking it off might give you respite, and washing will help even if it's a spongebath, but that moisture has nowhere to go (because if you need to be environment sealed you're not going to build a feature on your suits that lets them vent all the moisture). Even a few days of that is going to allow the microbial life endemic on your skin (much of which is endemic because you have a butthole) to flourish - it's now an environment very much like your butthole in terms of moisture and warmth. First you'll smell like feet, then you'll smell like butts. As an aside, at this point it's worth mentioning that even if you have biological scrubbers in your air supply, you're still at risk of aspirating microbes and so on, potentially causing big problems. You also have a high risk from certain types of microbe because of the constant humidity unless your suit scrubs moisture before you breathe it in - you're going to need quite a lot of room for air circulation if it does do that.

For the first few weeks this won't likely cause anything worse than acne, but when it does you've got broken skin and that means infections can potentially start to penetrate deeper. Depending on the nature of your suit/work (and we can expect some of this) you may have pressure sores - these are common for soldiers irl where the pressure of heavy backpacks or the friction of boots and uniforms meet, developing quickly and becoming life-threatening if untreated. Even with inoculation, you're still at risk of basic killers like sepsis over something as simple as a zit that festered.

Which brings up another problem: ABX (or magical elixirs) and external patching aside, there's precious little medical care you could receive for any of this. A very slight internal injury (or even external lacerations - patching the suit won't necessarily stop the bleeding) can cause you to bleed to death quickly - leaving this whole prospect very much a VC's-style "you're hit, you're dead" prospect. You have to wonder what desperation would drive humans (replacement lead time: decades) to fight in a way which almost automatically limits their usefulness to a few days of fighting at a time, with potentially very long recuperation. You might need millions of troops just to fight a small-scale war equivalent to hundreds of thousands of modern soldiers; but any serious injuries you sustain are almost certainly going to kill you because if the suit doesn't breach, there's still no way to provide effective and timely care. Your medics would just have rolls of duct tape, glue guns and extra bullets for the actual wounded.

Assuming you can live long enough for it to become a problem, yes, you'd need vitamin D dietary supplements (and probably others). They'll do well enough at staving off the problems associated with deficiency (though there's some question of whether they should be in food or pill form); however, if they're not available long-term, sleep disorders are the least of your problems. Try marching with osteomalacia; that's not going to be fun.

The flipside of supplements (and fortified foods) is that you run a risk of overdoing it: taking vitamin D as the example, you can over time start to fuck your calcium absorption up (taking up more than you can excrete), which starts to mess with sodium and potassium, among other things. I don't even know where to begin explaining that to you: try heart disease, proton channels in the digestive process, kidney disease. Long term? You're pretty much fucked unless you can balance it effectively, so if you're on supplements you'd better hope the factories back home aren't run by pinheads and all the decimal points are in the right places.

If you're eating anything that you're capable of gaining nutrition from, the microbes in your mouth are too. Regular oral hygiene is essential; long-term, you run the risk of gingivitis, which is more than just bad breath: you can end up losing your jaw to infection (and again, running the risk of sepsis).

>
Good points well put.

There's no real reason why it should, unless you're already fighting infections (again, thinking of sepsis here, but at that stage you're a walking corpse in this scenario), or you've long-term messed it up with ABX. A risk might be lupus - a hyper-aggressive response because the body is constantly fighting infection small-scale all over, leading to problems with the body's own tissue coming under attack, as well as related problems like anemia (from the reduced red cell count owing to the increased volume of white cells) and luekemia, both of which weaken you significantly and can kill swiftly.

In short, hostile environment colonization is a bitch

Something similar can be seen in police officers. Carrying a gun and even wearing a utility belt all day every day causes them to move in such a way as to avoid hitting their gear even when its off. Its a completely unconscious thing, and you can even see retired police officers still keeping their arms away from their sides when they walk.

>taking identity of father
Unless those pirates knew his dad personally, he should be fine taking the armor off once in a while.

Also, unless there's something strange going on, I don't see why he couldn't just inherit whatever his dad was doing.

Look up the Helghast and their (forcibly) adopted planet of Helghan.

They have to wear masks and body suits at all times, pretty much, because the atmosphere wrecks the human body.