/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Latest News
-NEW Unearthed Arcana: Cleric Divine Domains: dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/cleric-divine-domains

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Thread Topic:
Players: Tell us of that "Nat 20" that saved the entire party from turning into a TPK/PPK

DM: A guy is genuinely curious about DnD and wants to play and have fun and on session 0 his character concept is He is Azrael, the Angel of Death and was cast down to earth by God and he needs to find God to question why he cast him away. What do you do?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_the_jungle
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Allow the 'god of death'.
The big reveal is that the character was just being chuunibyou all along and deluded themselves into thinking they were the god of death or whatever.

>Players: Tell us of that "Nat 20" that saved the entire party from turning into a TPK/PPK
Our rogue stealthed over to an enemy camp last session, and it had dozens of bad guys in it. His natural 20 gave him 27 on his stealth check, which might be excessive but we were more than glad not to know what would have happened on a lesser roll.

He forgets the heavens, remembering only the life of his new vessel, Aasimar stats. He only has vague memories of his true self, long term character goals to retrieve his memories in full, followed by attempts to return to celestial splendor.

Suggest that he play an aasimar that has an angelic guide with a similar goal.

He'd have had to have rolled about 8 or so to get spotted. If the rogue had 'reliable talent', that would be impossible.

Stealth in that case is rolled against passive perception which is unlikely to be higher than about 15.

What is the highest CR you would put against a party of 8 level 20 adventurers with extremely powerful magical items to boot?
I was thinking 3 ancient dragons,one 22, one 23 and on 25

>DM
We're not really playing in a setting where that would work. I'll try and remind him of the relative amount of power a 3rd level PC has and help him find something in tone that could still be fun in the direction he's looking, but will be lore-friendly and appropriate to the game.

Bread user here
Survived a 250 person brawl in 2nd place, the female leader of the global fighters guild asked me "wanna fuck"
My str is now 24
I'm looking for a wife, do I marry this woman? ( One of my characters goals is to settle down on his place of ancestry, the sword coast)

Our rogue is going to slip our tiefling warlocks love interest a gender swap potion during the king crowns ball. She's an NPC healer from a desert kingdom, royal lineage , etc
(The tiefling is male, the NPC cleric is female)
Then use speech checks on the cleric to convince the now trans cleric to confess her love for the tiefling, while dressed in a flowing ball gown, but with male form
My character is cg, and the rogue can 100% do this without anyone tracing it back to him
Do I interfere??
Pic related, tourney rewards for upcoming rounds and fights

Kobolds.

Tonnes of fucking kobolds.

Strength (and lag) in numbers.

Probably a smaller group of level 20 NPCs built with PC rules with similarly powerful items, a doomsday machine style plot device that can't be solved with throwing a pre-written spell or attack check at it, and a veritable army of lower-CR but still threatening enough to not be oneshot en masse minions to keep tension high but give players the chance to feel powerful as they take down throngs of dudes.

>24 strength already
>those tourney rewards
Are you sure you aren't playing pathfinder?

CGs are absolute faggots so of course you don't interfere

We can't tell you who you can and can't love user, follow your heart.

It relies on what your character thinks about someone swapping someone's gender against their will. If they were going to do it to your character would he want them to interfere?

I don't think you could ask for a better match. Just make sure she understands that you won't have sex until marriage.

It sounds like the rogue is too canny for you to slip him up, so the best way to resolve the second scenario is for you to slip the tiefling a gender swap potion as well.

While you're at it, try to hook the thief up with someone as well, perhaps the local jail warden dominatrix. Aim for a Shakespearean finale where everyone gets married.

There's no trouble re-fluffing Ray of Frost to be a "bolt of frost", right?

I wanna do a burly Elf Forge Cleric. Are the stat incongruities insurmountable?

If you did point buy or standard array you will feel you aren't doing as well, but with the +1 deal you can bridge the gap so you have +5 like everyone else to
Hit.

Yeah, my group does 30-point buy, so I was looking at:

Str: 15, Dex: 12, Con: 14, Int: 12, Wis: 15, Cha: 8

Where can I find fonts for the languages in the PHB like Elvish, Dwarvish, and Draconic?

I would say that he's only a fragment of Azrael. You can tell this to the player up front as a condition to play his character, or during the course of play you can reveal that there are other fragments out there with their own goals and memories.

Or make him a warlock and do . Altering his memories was part of the pact he made.

>DM
Yeah, that sounds like it could be fun. I'd probably suggest that he be ~an~ angel of death, though, rather than ~the~.

Does anyone know of a decent 5e Gunslinger homebrew? Either as a class or a Fighter subclass is fine.

Angels don't have dicks or vaginas. Make sure ~he~ keeps this trait.

What is a fun thing to do with a falcon as familiar?
It's supposed to obey the classic rules of Animal Companion (Beastmaster).

What creatures in the MM and Volo's might you find in a tropical/subtropical region? It's not a listed biome in the DMG.

Do you conserve momentum after teleporting?

Have an aerial map of your location, dozens of miles every direction.
Ruin the game exploring everything beforehand and discovering every trap, enemy and place of interest ever without any risk.

Hmm. Doesn't look too bad. Does MAD hurt it at all like it did the Pathfinder one?

Why not play a dwarf, get a proficiency that helps with forgery as part of your race, get the ability to wear heavy armour without bloating up your strength unnecessarily, put your strength value into dex instead, get 16 wis total with 15+1, get great con, keep a decent int, dump cha and become the dorfliest thing around?

It's just the elf idea is a bit too MAD.
You need 15 strength if you want +1 AC, but then you lose the benefits of high dex (which are better than the benefits of high strength), you probably want some level of dex and int if you want to logically make sense as a forgeman, you obviously need wisdom for being a cleric, you need con to not die and .. Nobody cares about charisma.

Yeah, elf would probably be a fun 'fighting the status quo' thing but 5e does its best to encourage characters to make sense.

On portal based teleports.

The Dwarven script is called Dethek.
The Elven script is called Espruar.
Google either of those with "font" and you'll get tons of choices.

Think of it like a ray of light.

If the ray of light would appear to move faster than the speed of light, it does not in fact speed up.
It becomes more blue.

If you teleport while moving, you become blue.

Teleportation carries you through the Astral Plane. Momentum is zeroed on entrance and exit. Other teleportive methods, such as portals, which do not transit through the Astral Plane, will conserve your momentum.

Gonna be rolling a new character in the party. DM and I agreed that I wasn't enjoying wizard. We talked about it and he thinks Cleric would be a good fit for the things I like.
>Greater purpose
>Kindy Healy-Tanky
>Lives by rules/code
And there's some other things but I am just trying to explain it cause people loved Wizards and i think i will get critisized for not enjoying wizards.

Anyways. I need a reason for my Light Cleric to be joining the party.
The sorta Main Character of the campaign, the PC who is most central to the story, has a Investigation Service. His character is Nancy Drew who dresses like a witch and is a GOO Bladelock. His Patron is like...an old god living under, I think trapped under, a mountain.

I was thinking of having my Light Cleric "apply" for a job at her building and have a job interview. I was thinking maybe because I am a Light Cleric and she's a GOO Warlock there is some...Light vs Dark conflict there and maybe my God sent me to this Warlock to get closer to the Patron and do something to inflict my god's justice on this great being living in the deep dark places of the world. But the reason he'll give the warlock in his job interview is that he's a light cleric and wants to "bring light" to the dark places of the world, and when my Cleric is joining the group the party would have just been returning from a dungeon.

Any suggestions? I don't know if this is good or if I am blinded by my own bias. I've never rolled a new character halfway through the campaign, so I don't know what is recommended for such a thing.

Do Cleric Deities speak directly to their followers? Or is it more like...a feeling? How do I describe how my Cleric's god imparted his holy charge onto him?

Tell him there is no God, just gods

Last week actually

>Phandelver
>confronting Glass Staff and the Bugbear King in the last room in cragmaw castle
>playing war cleric dwarf
>Druid gets mauled by the guard wolf (she and everyone who tried to hit it rolled like ass to the point where I was wondering if the wolf was Neo from the matrix)
>barbarian grabs the bugbear
>I charge the wizard and slash with my long sword
>18, manage to do a good chunk to him
>pop my war priest to attack again
>rolled a 12, decide to use guided strike to hit
>wizard casts shield
>next round
>wizard I can tell is hurting but he goes after me
>roll a fucking 3
>rest of party getting mangled by bugbear and wolf who can dodge fucking bullets apparently
>decide to use my last charge of war priest
>role play: "user surveys the fight, and sees that his only chance is to strike with all his might to slay the wizard before he can annihilate his friends. He casts away his shield, forgoing protection in a last ditch effort to slay his foe, using both hands to strike down his enemy"
>nat 20
>roll damage
>max damage
>manage to kill the wizard (by a single point of damage I later found out)
>after another 6 rounds we finally manage to kill the bugbear and wolf, Druid got to 0 and failed twice before I could stabilize
>everyone in single digit health
>limp back home

If glass staff had casted a single offensive spell we would have TPK'd right there and then. Thank god I have incredible luck when it comes to those kinds of situations

I just didn't want to be a stereotypical dorfy dwarf, especially since Elves also have a grand tradition of smithing.

Now, I could possibly consider a Triton, since I really like their fluff, and the stats would mostly line up.

I mean if the falcon dies isn't it kind of a risk? 8 hours to find another one.

Although I might bind myself to another, more useful creature.

You will be fine. Just follow your heart.

Battlemaster + the two renaissance guns in the DMG.

>he thinks folding gold leaf 9 times and asking a tree to sit on it is "smithing"

An elf would likely be more dex-based smithing, which isn't really a heavy armour shindig.
That'd be more of a battlemaster or something elf, though.

Gods don't directly communicate, more you may get a feeling as you said but it is 100% based on the DM. If you want to expect something, expect nothing much. Asking your God or a Divine Proxy a question is a level 4 spell, so typical conversation is kind of overpowered.

Also a GOO isn't necessarily bad, they are just unknown and very powerfully, if you are to investigate the GOO, then maybe it's cause your deity recently found out of them, and is assessing if they are a threat maybe. This warlock and possibly other warlocks of this GOO are of interest so you can learn its intentions.

Thanks

Even if gods don't directly talk to people in D&D, people will still *think* they do. Just look at the real world - people think their deities talk to them all the time, even though there is at most only one correct religion and the rest are all confabulating.

In the case of your cleric, maybe he was broke and not in the best standing with his superiors in his church, he saw that a detective agency was hiring, maybe interpreted (or misinterpreted) some vague light-based imagery he saw on the street or in a dream, and concluded that his god wants him to be a detective for a while.

Frankly, I've always considered goblins to be warm-wet climate natives. Greed leads them into caves/dorf mines. Enlightened gobbos are perfectly content hunt in warm rain and eat fish whole?

Those little poison dart frog guys. They're cute af.

For a moment there you got me really excited thinking grippli were in Volo's Guide.

Gods talk to their followers all the time in FR. I don't know why people have this perception that the Abeir-Torillian Gods are aloof or distant or somehow like the deities of other settings or reality. They've taken mortal form repeatedly, either on their own or through forceful measures, and are always manifesting in one way or another. They hear every time someone mentions their name, see every offering, and have the power (and use it) to aid worshipful followers or dutiful servants of their domains pretty much non-stop.

What the Gods DON'T do is answer you every time you ask them a question. Spells that allow for deific communication aren't the only way to reach a God, they're just a cashing-in of of a token rewarded for past service (you being a Cleric and all; they are deigning to give you limited ability to bother them). Their disdain for answering plainly comes in many flavors, but usually it's either because they don't know (deities aren't omniscient) or they are testing the mortal's ingenuity, faith, courage, drive, whatever. A Good deity might want you to succeed on your own merits so that you grow and become a better follower; an Evil deity might want to see if you're truly worthy of their notice, allowing the weak to weed themselves out through failure.

But the Gods are absolutely everywhere and doing things at all times. A campaign and DMs who do not have Gods subconsciously pushing Clerics around or sending visions to the faithful (which should include the VAST majority of characters, not just Divien casters) is not really doing FR as written.

Grungs are better.

My DM is pretty hands off with that kinda stuff. He'll just say "sure w/e takes the least amount to time to get things going". Which i think conveys a sense that he wants to be part of play instead of players just talking with each other in-game.

Also i like the "assessing it as a threat" that is way better. Less Black and White. More shades of gray.

Ah okay, so like..."Divining" things in the natural world as signs from his god. That works.

Though he isn't part of a church, he was captured by something with darkvision and thrown into a pitch black dungeon. Then a god led him to safety with some kind of guiding light because he is the "chosen" of this god. And he became a cleric because he didn't ask to be helped, he didn't pray, and the god never "asked" for anything in return. So he really thinks highly of this god, he feels like this god has got his back no matter what. He has trust and faith in his Sunbro God.

Shit, there's a couple Dwarven Gods who spend all their time popping around to various Dwarves in the middle of combat with whatever and empowering them with bestial strength and claws or supernatural awareness and invincible shields for a few rounds at a time. That's their whole day. They've got their big MMO party list of every Dwarf on the planet and they're just checking to see who's in combat at any given moment, seeing what their focus target is, and popping over there to buff them if it's a tough and worthwhile fight.

This is why practically everyone on Faerun is religious. It's not indoctrination from birth, it's not awe of Clerics' abilities; it's because the Gods take a real and active interest in not just their followers', but EVERYONE'S, lives. They are real, doing shit, and everyone knows it. They have to these days, because Ao slapped all the Gods around and said, "Do your jobs right or I'm taking them away."

The remaining atheists, better termed faithless, do not deny their existence--only that such beings are worthy of worship, the same way people generally aren't tripping over themselves to suck on Elminster's dick just because he can do impressive stuff. But, if enough people DID do that, Elminster would pretty much be a god. There's a red dragon who pulled that off; set himself up as a God-King, got enough worshippers, ascended to demigod status, and promptly fucked off (since it was pre-ToT and you could do that).

If you only worship Ao do you still get thrown into that fucking wall when you die?

Yes. Ao doesn't give a fuck about worship, so "worshipping Ao" is basically being faithless.

Forgive me /5eg/, for I have sinned.

I killed a PC on his first session to a save or die last night. I really, really didn't want to, but I had to. It almost turned into a tpk. I felt so bad. He was a good sport about it and still got to participate in most of the session, but still.

That is literally the same backstory as the

I guess people who play clerics are afraid of actually belonging to a church because they're allergic to roleplaying. Kind of the same reason nobody wants to play a devotion paladin. If you want to play a loner murderhobo, you're going to run into the question of "why would I ever go adventuring with these people, and why would they put up with me?"

Yes.

But the Wall is retarded and not necessary. It wasn't always there (or used), and the one time its disuse became a problem was when everyone knew there was going to be zero comeuppance for not giving back to the Gods. In theory, as long as everyone has a reason NOT to be truly Faithless (whether or not their reasoning is true), there's no reason to use the Wall.

Souls can be taken out and put in, and not all souls have to go there to begin with. Devils are always yanking souls from the MP straight to Hell and removing them from the usual cycle of rebirth, but all the other extraplanar entities can do the same shit as well. Faithless, but principled (for good or ill) people can be reincarnated on a plane which matches their alignment in life, outside of that cycle, e.g., a supremely Neutral Good warrior-scholar might be reborn as a fucking Ursine Guardinal (anthropomorphic bear man). Actions which improve a domain's strength also don't necessarily rely on worship of a particular deity, so it is possible for a faithless to feed into a deity's power in a roundabout way without ever actually worshipping that god, which also somewhat satisfies Ao's power feedback loop as designed.

You are weak and uncreative.
Nothing short of a PC wilfully committing suicide in a pool of magma is "I had to".

He watched his party member disintegrate for touching a statue, walked up and did the exact same thing then failed the save.

Save or dies should be extremely rare or preferably non-existent. Why did you "have to"?

Why was there a save or die on this statue? Was there reasonable warning that there was or was it just "fuck you for inspecting my statue"?

The player roleplayed to death. That was his doing, not yours.

Why are you leaving disintegration statues just lyin' around?

So for my character i had this vision in my mind of this large hulking character who is cloaked carrying a lantern in the darkness. I was really inspired by idea of the Lantern Bearer prestige class from Pathfinder.

So I wanted this big character. I didn't want a Half Orc cause I didn't feel like it. And Dragonborn aren't allowed in this setting. So I picked Firbolg partially because it fit and partially because Volo's had just come out and I wanted to use something from that.

My character is a Firbolg, so i gave him the Outlander background because I actually wanted him to be raised by Wolves.

He has a personal code he follows, which is just the "Law of the Wolves" that he follows. You can find it on this wikipedia page en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_the_jungle

And from there i decided I wanted to play a Light Cleric because it fit quite well with the idea of the Lantern Bearer, and after reading the cleric Spell list, between Continual Flame (totally gonna have a lantern that never goes out) and Spiritual Weapon (just gonna theme it to look like a floating lantern) the Cleric was a no-brainer.

Then from there I had to figure out...how did this basically half giant forest dweller become a light cleric? Especially since in this setting, unless there was some kind of divine intervention, he would have been a Druid.

Secondly, i am rolling this character for 3rd level. So I wanted part of his backstory to realistically award him with enough experience adventuring to be Level 3.

So Divine Intervention from a God of Light and be in a situation that could be, once completed, considered to be equivalent of reaching 3rd level.

He can't just be a Cleric from a church because he would be an Acolyte, not an Outlander so the Law of Wolves kinda doesn't work. I mean...i could just say this church's bible has the Law of Wolves in its scripture, but I don't want to. It seems dumb to me.

>He can't just be a Cleric from a church because he would be an Acolyte
The Background doesn't really need to encompass the entirety of the characters history. He could be from a frontier abbey of that church far off in the wild that he came across (banished from his tribe, wounded, tribe destroyed whatever) and joined the priests there and ended up as a cleric.

Why not savage child raised by wolves, but taken in by a Light priest and his family? A bit cliché but you've got the whole Firbolg/Lantern going on, so your theme & background are far from bland.

It's up to you if the Firbolg goes back to the savage lands at some point in his teens, or if he gets more civilized but still deeply believes in its first code. Or maybe some event makes him go back to the woods, or to this mentality (priest getting killed, or realization that the priest is actually an hypocrit, etc.)

Maybe the guy's crazy and believes the God of Light talks to him, and that's why he killed the priest and his family. They're soft, impure, undeserving - and only the Light Lord's wrath can reveal their true potential. They went like torches, or lanterns in the night.

>Nancy Drew who dresses like a witch and is a GOO Bladelock
Cute

Continued from Additionally, my character is not a murder hobo. His whole quest involves going into the Darkest places of the world and bringing the Light of his god to the dark places of the world. And he is kind of primitive and very literal, he doesn't understand that Light could mean anything besides Brightness. So he goes into dungeons and caverns and leaves a bunch of lit torches everywhere.

And I plan for him to go visit the church of his god. He doesn't know his god is worshipped by other people. So that will be kind of fun to see how this Big giant forest guy raised by wolves interacts with a bunch of flowery priests working in a cathedral of this giant metropolis of a city.

Finally, i think you were ignorant in assuming I am the kind of player who is "allergic to roleplaying" and you didn't even seem to read the other stuff I posted with the other people where we decided that my Light Cleric is investigating this semi-famous warlock in the party whose Patron is a GOO and assessing if it is a threat to "The Light". Additionally, this warlock is basically Nancy Drew who dresses like a witch who is a Detective/Investigator and is going into Dungeons to solve mysteries. So my Cleric wanted to work with her to gain access to these deep dark places.

Additionally, read some of the Law of Wolves. That is not something a Loner would live by.
>For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

That could work. I am having a hard time thinking of why he would believe in this god of light in this circumstance though. Because just living at a church and following the ways of their priests because thats how they live, isn't indicative of being a Cleric in my mind.

A Cleric is devoted, faithful, passionate about their god.
There would need to be a situation where this somewhat primitive guy gains a strong sense of belief in this god of light. And I just went with the path of least resistance to get him into the game.

Oh and I want my cleric to be the "chosen" of this god. Because i like the idea that Gods don't pick their worshippers as their prophets and chosen ones, but rather, they use some unknown means of picking said individuals. Some kind of oracular process that only gods understand. Maybe the person chosen was of the faith, or maybe not.

I could do the exact same thing as i mentioned before, but as the Firbolg is led out of this dungeon and is led to a church. But i kind of think that sucks cause then it conveys this sense that the Firbolg is expected, by this god, to follow and serve. Which is not very god like. Gods don't demand service, Patrons demand service.

It might be that based on some weird light symbols he discovers the church of this god and learned about which god it actually is. And maybe its like the scene in the Lord of the Rings Two Towers movie where Aragorn returns and pushes the door to Theoden at Helm's Deep.
Then the priests and other clerics talk to him and divine that he is the chosen of their god where they provide him with training and knowledge and all that junk to go out and do their lord's bidding.

HAHAHAHAH
what the fuck?

Even with Shield, a 22 should easily hit Glasstaff user.

Clearly it's a teleporting statue right.

Imagine your party being chased by an indestructible teleporting statue that disintegrates people.
If you stop to even sleep, it's right there in the middle of your camp when you wake up.

How about this then, as a basic idea that came to when you said
>His whole quest involves going into the Darkest places of the world and bringing the Light of his god to the dark places of the world

Your Firbolgs tribe got destroyed by some shadow/darkness associated creatures, Shadow Fiends, Undead something like that, he survived, probably by not being around at the time or maybe he hid in fear (if you want to give him a moment of weakness to be ashamed about). Its in the middle of a really terrible winter, and he knows he's probably gonna freeze to death if he doesn't find a way to keep himself warm, so he gathers a bunch of scrap together and makes a small "portable fire" (basically a bit of metal/wood scraps to put a small flame inside). Then he sets out to warn other tribes/get the fuck out of here/find those creatures. He assumes his fire will probably not gonna last in the wind and cold, but somehow when he wakes up next day, the fire is still going. So he keeps traveling and no matter how firce the wind or what happens, the fire keeps shining and warmimg him, until he finds a cave that was recently opened by a rockslide or somesuch. He goes down there (probably because he figures its better than out in the blizzard) and its really really dark inside, supernaturally so (the place is basically a shadowfell crossing) but his makeshift lamp somehow drives the supernatural darkness away, and the Firbolg finds a few undead in the cave (probably what destroyed his tribe but maybe just the remnant of it if you want a plot hook for later), he suddenly finds himself being able to cast magic from the lantern and drives outt he undea duntil he finds a ancient shrine at the end of the cave, where he feels himself compelled to re-ignite its altar. BAM. Shadowfell crossing banished, insert appropriate deific vision/visitation/personal revelation. Then he leaves to do the same for other places in the world.

Hunter ranger 11/fighter 2 with polearm master.

Have Haste cast on you, then drink a Potion of Giant Size (from SKT) and then have Enlarge cast on you, making you Gargantuan.

As a gargantuan creature, you can have 20 creatures surrounding you (4 on each side plus the corners).

Whirlwind Attack: 20
Action Surge Whirlwind: 40
Horde breaker: 41
Haste attack: 42
PAM: 43

43 attacks in a round.

>jump in the middle of charging army
>have all this, but with tunnel fighter
>mfw

Are you forgetting something user?

Help me bard better.

I use my spells regularly, and my skills are great, but I keep forgetting inspiration and cutting words and stuff. When do you use all the non-spell Lore Bard stuff?

Bugbear reach doesn't affect whirlwind attack, which specifies creatures within 5 feet.

Oh okay, Have some Bugbear tits.

I also have a bard question.
A player wants to go full support and asked if a bard is good for that.
Any suggestions for him for spells and which bard college to pick?

Lore, or Glamour if he wants to go super charm pacafist.

I'm at a bit of a loss on the Ability Score Increase for a race I'm homebrewing for a character.
Its supposed to be a kind of "Tiefling" just for a racde of Shadowfell inhabitng insectiod monster rather than Devils/Demons.
Ancestors made a pact with them/bred with them/enslaved by them, haven't decided, doesn't even really matter that much at this point.
I'm just not sure what kind of Ability scores would make the most sense for a Shadowfell alien bug person race.
All the "weird" races seem to get Charisma (Tieflings, Dragonborn, Yuan-Ti, you name it), so that feels like it should be there.
On the other hand, for balance purposes I had initially considered using the alt. Tiefling features (Feral and Wings mostly), which would be 2Dex, 1Int.
I had considered going 1Cha, 1Dex, 1Int, but since its going to be a Bard, that feels too much like the race is tailor made for Bards when it should be a unusual and unheard of thing for the race.

Yes, it's fine. It works just as well as a cleric or druid as a primary healer. He probably wants the College of Lore, since the College of Valor is both weaker and focused on hitting things with swords. Spells he can probably figure out for himself as long as he takes Healing Word.

An absolute shit load. Sand all over the place in front of the statue in a dungeon that was nothing but trap after trap, this room was eerily devoid of the typical precautions they'd been encountering, almost like they weren't necessary. The first pc to touch it made a save (it was basically just a free pass to warn them.)
On the pass he felt an incredibly powerful force pushing him apart, he managed to power through it and pried one of the ruby eyes out of the statue.

He then went right back in for round two, critical failing the save, Disintegrating him.

The other guy watched then proceeded to go, pick up the ruby that had been pried out and dropped by the now pile-of-sand rogue and started trying to jam it back into the eye socket. He then failed the (super low) save for touching the statue.

It was literally just a statue that did disintegrate on touch. Nothing else. In a dungeon that was traps galore and they knew that.

Not sure how PAM will help.

PAM provides a bonus attack if you take the ATTACK action, which does not apply in this case. It'd only hit one creature anyway.
PAM provides a reaction attack, which only hits one creature a round.

That's a creature use of enlarge person, though.

Ah shit, my bad.

Replace that with GWM, then. With 42 other attacks one of them is bound to crit.

They sound like cockroach people - hardy insectoid survivors with limited flight who've been living underneath the cosmic refrigerator. They should get Con and never, ever, ever get Cha. Any other score would make more sense for them than Cha.

Monster races don't get Cha just for being monsters - they either possess a certain kind of majestic bearing (dragonborn) or have a culture based entirely around intimidation (drow) or infiltrating human civilization (tieflings, yuan-ti purebloods.) Downtrodden scavengers from a lightless hellscape don't really fit either of those bills.

It takes an action to doff a shield.

A 12 already hits Glasstaff without Guided Strike, and a 22 hits him even with Shield.

Your DM was freeforming to make you feel powerful, your die rolls were irrelevant.

>Downtrodden scavengers
They're not really downtrodden scavangers and
>culture based entirely around intimidation (drow)

Could apply just as well, but I see your point about Constitution, what would you think is the best secondary/primary stat then, Dexterity or Intelligence?

Dropping a shield for free is mild DM handwavium.
Shield blocking the Guided strike is a bit much though but I could imagine it being a genuine mistake, I've played with more than one caster who responded to a "22 to hit." with "Oh, I cast Shield." and "Doesn't Shield only put your AC to 21?".

Either of those. Really depends on what classes you want them to be good at.

Please, please have them based on Kafka and German expressionism.

>Really depends on what classes you want them to be good at.
I was kinda trying to avoid that sort of mindset specifically, but I guess I go with Intelligence if I emphasize the harsh survival necessities of the Shadowfell with Consitution primary.
Thanks for the inspiration.

Yeah, that'll work.

Get GWF and use a 2d6 weapon for extra damage.

If I remember right, that'll average 8.33 per 2d6.

Would be better if your DM allows you to add GWF to any damage dice given from an attack.

What are you on about?

The wording is you have to use guided strike before you know whether it hits. After my modifiers and everything it was still 12 so I channel divinity'd to get to 22

And as for shield dropping I basically just kinda let it go. In my mind at least an Action to doff the shield would be like taking the time to actually set it down or something where as I just let it go. It's not RAW but it gave me some cool RP so whatever

Why are there no cool Bard Images. Every one I see they either like like raging homosexuals or pedophiles??

Okay so in our group here, we're struggling to find a 5th player. Me as DM, im more used to playing by Premade adventures (haven't had a group last long enough yet) so im used to the Adventurer's league stuff thats balanced for 5 players. Is it a big thing to balance it for 4 players or is it just something easy like removing a creature or so?