WIP - Painting/Converting/Sculpting Genera

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>I am the hammer! I am the point of His spear! I am the mail about His fist! I am the bane of His foes!
youtube.com/watch?v=JjaYW5Cnr5k

>Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mAq5Dy2tRHo&
blacklibrary.com/all-products/40k-slaanesh-painting.html?basket_add=1&basket_item=9321
imgur.com/a/NXKPO
ageoftyrants.com/index.php/galleries/models/viridians-inf/393-sniper
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Working on an old boyz model turned into a tankbusta nob

Stuck this in hhg earlier, it's a conversion of the cataphractii captain from BaC. Thought I'd wait for a new wip, who wants to be post 300 in a dying thread?. Need to finish the volkite hand, though I'm tempted to use the one from BoP. Anyone know a really flat paint-on matt varnish? The vallejo I have is still too glossy.

I thought about going for all bare heads, but thought better of it.

Almost there , need some final touch ups. 30k Modded Iron Warriors

I'm pretty proud of these guys. I've been playing since 1999 but due to a mix of dyspraxia , a disorganised personality and taking it a little too to heart when a GW store manager told 9 year old me I had no painting potential I've shamefully never had a fully painted army I've completed from scratch so this will be a first all ready for a 1750 game against Eldar Thursday.

>Anyone know a really flat paint-on matt varnish? The vallejo I have is still too glossy.
I have a really old pot of GW matt varnish. That is pretty matte.
I heard other people swear by tamiya products though.

Love what you've done with the model btw. Head is full of character and the paintjob is really good too.

I painted the starweaver with vallajo air but it was too dark when manually painting the player so I tried matching it with GW equivalent. How well do the colors match?

>dyspraxia
Had to look that up. That sucks.

>a GW store manager told 9 year old me I had no painting potential
That's a dick move towards any 9 year old.

Anyway. On the whole the minis seems to have a decent tabletop standard.
The elephant in the room are obviously the stripes. I think you should try to use spray paint and masking tape or stencils to get a cleaner result here.

Kudos for doing what you want and not giving a fuck.

>a GW store manager told 9 year old me I had no painting potential

What a fucking cunt.

I think your models look pretty damn good, and are certainly better than plenty of models painted by people who aren't suffering diminished motor skills.

Like said, if you can find something to aid with your stripes, your army will be bang on.

I think you could really benefit from cutting down on the freehand stuff as much as possible. The hazard stripes, shoulderpads, and IV markings just aren't clean and I'm sure yellow being involved didn't help since it's a difficult color to paint in the first place. You could try to seek out stencils to use for legion numerals and thin masking tape for hazard stripes, it would definitely fix the most glaring problems with the paint job.

Thanks, he's my best work to date. He's been a bit of a test-bed for me, first go at bits of sculpting and various painting techniques, even tried a smidge of OSL on the sword hilt.

Looks pretty close to me.

These are sublime.

oh shit, I remember you posting this WiP ages back! looks really nice!

fuck it they'll do. Proper space wolves box next as opposed to this 'upgrade' bullshit.

lovely

The only thing that sucks is the hazard stripes.
youtube.com/watch?v=mAq5Dy2tRHo&
Go back and use some masking tape and try that at it'll look a billion times better

Yeah, I shelved it when I got to the pturges, I couldn't be arsed at the time. Turns out they're not too tough, though it took some thought to figure out what to use for the little studs. Went for grains of salt in the end. Still, I should have finished the thing a good six months ago. Now to make a start on the characters from BoP, see you some time in 2018

Finally finished painting my first and last set, stormcast eternals. They look... handpainted. I tried my best and they look good... from a distance.

I have no fucking idea how you guys do it. I couldn't do the details right, it was just impossible.

Anyway, thank you for all the help and tips.

did you thin your paints and get a nice tip on your brush?

did you paint all the details?

did you apply washes?

did you go back and highlight the edges?

If yes to all of these, then the rest comes with practice.

Related, anyone know of a good airbrushable acrylic matte top coat? Tried some model masters the other day, shit immediately clouded my minis. Luckily I had a leftover can of testors and saved them.

Hey guys, what sort of tool do you use for applying liquid greenstuff to fill small gaps? A standard brush doesn't seem firm enough. I've found this stuff great for tiny gaps that aren't worth mixing the regular stuff together for, but application could be better.

If you thin your paints, apply multiple layers and highlight and wash properly (and not too much), you can make the mini look smooth and pretty good

Color choice is very important though

Kill xenos or die tryin'. Chronicles of a space pimp.

Time to detail the weapons soon, which I'm hoping to really bling out as fitting of Rogue Traders.

Cant get over the fact that the dude has a space marine armor arm

What ethnicity is this?

Its his pimp hand. The better to slap bitch-ass xenos with the might of his Spiritual Liege

Yeah, I thinned my paints, no wash yet, I'll do it at some point.

It's not a thick paint kind of shit, it's more like "there is paint on the piece next to it or around it when there shouldn't be" kind of shit. For example, on the shoulders and shields, the details are painted but it also went around them.

your primer is all fucked up and sandy. good colours so far though.

I suspect the grainy texturing might be a side effect of priming in cold weather or using a dusty box to prime in. Would a lot of paint layers hide alleviate this?

Thanks for all the kind words and advice. I'll definitely look to doing proper hazard stripes with taping for the next batch, I've got 30 real MKIII marines now so hopefully I can create a better look on those!

Daler-Rowney Matt Varnish is super flat, but you need to shake and stir the shit out of it before working with it.

Tamiya 2mm, 3mm, and 5mm masking tape is a saviour for that stuff - the 2mm is perfect for shoulder pads.

I really like that army and those old dreads are awesome, but going back with masking tape to fix the hazard stripes will make that army look amazing.

[Spoiler]Fixxxer[/spoiler]

I'm planning to repaint my Emperors Children into Angels of Ectasy and now I'm trying to figure out how to achieve this fleshy pink color scheme, would a base of Ratskin Flesh -> Eldar Flesh drybrushing -> Carroburg Crimson wash come close?

brush control comes with practice, but you can also neaten up after

My Avatar of Khaine

Ork conversions are best conversions

Posting from phone. Sorry if pic it huge.
But, based the Patriarch with blood sewage. I think I like it, but I'll likely add a corpse later when I get the bits.

where is this from?

blacklibrary.com/all-products/40k-slaanesh-painting.html?basket_add=1&basket_item=9321

huh, didn't know about these, nice.

>epub
into the trash it sadly goes.

>He can't use epubs in [current year]

wew lad

So far this hobby has taught me.

>make more than one fucking attempt as stuff (edge highlights) before you decide you're shit at it
>resin is harder than plastic
>you didn't need that part of your finger
>fucking leatherman

nope, I can't. it's not much harder than that.

Fuck you.

>that meme
looking back on it, that meme was pretty strange

but it was the greatest thing back then

Readium for Chrome, works very well in my opinion.

Need a better pic, but that's looking really good, same scheme I would want on an avatar of my own.

I would, but I don't use chrome.

Plenty free shit. Sumatra works fine.

I thought this way too, I downloaded chrome and only use it for readium. it is actually nicer than scrolling through a .pdf imo.

>using google botnet for anything

Finally magnetized my Tech-Priest Dominus, was a bitch to do, especially the head.

Now to figure out how to go about painting him.

>especially the head.
why would you magnetize the head

Helmets on or off? Bit far maybe.

Please validate my existance - imgur.com/a/NXKPO
No need to vote, please just love me ;-;

Because I want to be able to switch between the hood and the hat.

Consider yourself validated. Or should I say vindicated?

>need 1 extra Transuranic Arquebus
>those eBay bit prices on them

Shit, this is dumb.

Is the petard too big for him?

>that writing on the tank
maybe that SJW blog was actually right?

No im afraid not user. Trust me. Ive gotten it too. Strip and repaint. its the only way

No.

Nah that looks pretty fucking cool m8

I do recommend the masking tape as well. Grab the 6mm from tamiya, or smaller if you can find any. If not, just neatly cut it in half while following a ruler to have strips of 3mm, should be enougj for most stripes.

>That huge ass missile launcher on one of the Cataphractii
What happened here?

Just give him and eyepatch, and you've got your Captain Yarr and his trusty daemonic naval cannon.

:3
About what? Don't trigger me you omnigendered cisgod.

He's the sergeant so I thought I'd make him distinct and gave him a havoc missile from the rhino kit . Bit OTT but thought it looked cool

How do I thin metallics properly?

Kinda new to painting metal. Do I still prime like normal. Anything different/watch for compared to painting plastics?

use a thinner/medium.

So not water, right?

>Anything different/watch for compared to painting plastics?
Not really.
You should be cleaning your plastic before priming too, but for metals that is a little more important. If you still got mold release agent on your model while priming the paint it much more likely to chip off later on.

Other than that the only difference is the weight. So working on big metal kits can be a bit tiring in the truest sense of the word, since it put a little more stress on your wrists.

Nothing major though.

That's quite a simple conversion but I think it looks top notch. Nice work

Colours match up fine imo, looks great in general, love the speckled stars.

Crisp, multiple colours, nicely done contrasting bases (snow is overdone with SW's)

Simple and clean conversions and paintjob, base looks a smidge barren though, but that's just me

>What ethnicity is this?

Colombian-American.

Is there a Veeky Forums guide to what paint-on primers are good somewhere that I haven't found?

How about chopping up some minis you already have in preparation for the project, only to forget all about it, and then you go back later for another project and find your minis ruined?

>feels like shit, man

Messy hazard stripes aside your dudes look pretty sweet. I really dig that missile launcher on the sergeant's back.
Also, we should go find that GW manager and kick his ass. I know it was a long time ago, but was he like... serious when he said it? Like just being a dick for no reason?

No, the whole cycle kind of expresses itself in me often times finding duplicates of the same mini, cause I completely forgot that I already bought that one for that other project I planned, but never got around to.

Anyway for a while I had a thing about wanting to have each miniature 'as intended' in addition to my conversions.

I'm a total mess when it comes to this.

Literally the only thing I can see needing improvement would be the spikes. Everything else is actually really good.

The brass balls are a nice touch

Not sure where else on this site I this is appropriate.

I spent 5 hours today painting and assembling this. It's the first time I've done any sort of modeling since I was a kid back in like 2001 and I don't like to think about how I painted then.

How do I thin enamel paint? I did 1:1 with testors enamel thinner to paint for the transmission and 2:3 for the engine block. The metallic was runny as shit but the red seemed a bit too thick. I'm going to be brushing all my small parts and doing rattle can for the body. I feel pretty confident with the rattle can.

Cant really afford get really into it but I'm currently getting a feel for cars doing a '69 Camaro. Trying to make a gift for my dad by recreating the challenger he had as a kid.

Is it appropriate to post updates here?

Don't take what that GW dick said to heart user. He's probably salty he's in his 40's, virgin, loveless, obese, greasy, never had any other job and his only friends are people who use his store just to play with their friends and not actually him.

Your models look pretty sick

>taking it a little too to heart when a GW store manager told 9 year old me I had no painting potentia
remember duncan's first model whenever someone says that your painting is shit and you will never be good.

The Vallejo one is shilled quite regularly.

To which game does pic related minis belong to?
Can't figure out.
/40kg/ say it does not belong to 40K
Malifaux General has not responded
You're my last chance /WIP/ !

ageoftyrants.com/index.php/galleries/models/viridians-inf/393-sniper

looks like

yea maybe not actually

It looks like Rackham's Cadwallon snipers.
But not sure, I'm not old enough to be Rackham expert

Rackham:
Griffins Of Akkylannie Fusillers
You're welcome

Not to be a party pooper, but can Nobz use rokkit launchers at all? Cool model, is that rokkit clip custom made?

Other than hazard stripes those are really good looking. You made false Emperor proud!

Posting WIP no matter the hobby is fine, the constant updates are commonly a bad idea unless you are seeking critique so trying stuff. That being said, WIP is dominated by 40k stuff followed by more models that don't use enamel paints so you might be best served seeing what other parts of the internet offer in advice for dealing with those paints. My basic recommendation would be thin the red more if it's too thick and see if you and thicken the metalics if you think it's too thin. The block, spark plugs. cylinders all look fine to me though. Look into seeing if there is an enamel friendly wash, it's basically liquid talent

Sure, people post random minis they are working on all the time.

So I'm trying to pimp my solitaire a bit and want to make him look like he's jumping through a webway portal instead of vaulting over debris. I'm utterly shit at greenstuff so I'm wondering if there are any bitz that can work as a webway gate,from GW and otherwise.
Also I'm planning to put the solitaire and portal on a dreadnought sized base to make a mini diorama. Would he still be playable then?

couldn't you magnetise for multiple bases?

Well not magnetise because I move my model by picking them up, but maybe make a depression on the decor where I can put in the smaller base.