Hihi. i want my goblins to be transformed, devolved dwarves. pic not related. how should i approach the situation...

hihi. i want my goblins to be transformed, devolved dwarves. pic not related. how should i approach the situation? what do you think about this idea? are there any settings where this already been played out? what are some cool concepts on this topic? i always liked to think of goblins as some shitty pests like rats that infest dwarven mountains and are really hard to get rid of without destroying the subterranean scapes

in the same setting i went the tolkien way with orcs. they were elves in the past. here they got betrayed and pumped with the blood of an eldritch being mixed with that of a murdered god. then they went on a rampage against mankind, defeated it but then a bunch of orcs decided to be lords of their own so they fought among themselves, fucked up the evil guy's plans and split off into not! lotr orcs and not! warcraft orcs because i have a boner for greenskins and cant have one type

Other urls found in this thread:

incaseart.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It'd be a massive boon to the setting if you give the transformed dwarf monster race its own name. Don't even mention goblins.

why? when they are literally stereotypical goblins (short, vile, shitty and green)?

There's a goblin punch post about Goblins being what a Halfling turns into when they eat meat.
I would link to it, but it gets flagged as spam, just google "Goblin Punch Cannibal Halflings"

tl;dr: When halflings eat meat they start to develop a big taste for it and gain some adaptions to help with carnivorism.

Maybe you could adapt something like this with dwarves?

Because you're making them green to make them fit the goblin mold when you're already breaking the mold by making them dwarves.
Just make them their own thing, people will be more interested, you can introduce more concepts for them, everything will be better.

>inb4 overrated Incase futa art, Alfie and his Goblins.

>how should i approach the situation?
Well I mean you've already laid the groundwork in your post OP. Just figure out what biological changes a dwarf would need to be sentient cave-vermin and slap it on your Gobbodwarf (or find parts that look cool and bullshit a justification for throwing them on there).

Not to open a can of worms but I only hear about Incase in a negative light on Veeky Forums. What's his deal?

what is the goblin mold then? lol.

what prevents me from introducing more concepts to goblins?

(i actually have a fuckton of races in my conworld, more than wo_warcraft if you are familiar with it)

no

>Not to open a can of worms but I only hear about Incase in a negative light on Veeky Forums. What's his deal?
Incase draws smut. Despite having a recently developed taste for shortstacks, a lot of his stuff is gay stuff (though he does draw plenty of hetero/futa stuff). Opinions are mixed overall on his work, despite the apparent quality.

Can you link me his profile with a gallery that I can browse? I found his blogpost but it's outdated.

You can find a large majority of his stuff on sadpanda.

what you guys think about vampires that aren't undead? i just got thought maybe my goblins should just be dwarf vampires, or is that even more retarded?

He has a Hentai Foundry account... a ton of his stuff is on e261 and he has a blog/webcomic called buttsmithy.

Dwarves have a physical addiction to mithril. They do their best to have clothes made out of it, houses lined with it, cutlery made out of it. This is because if their body is not exposed to mithril after a period of time, they begin to devolve into a wretched, ugly creature called goblins.

Goblins have a similar addiction, but it's to gold. While the mithril addiction drives Dwarves to become talented craftsmen, Goblins adiction drives them to horde all the gold they can. Some take trade as the best way to do this, others prefer outright theft. A few try to retain their Dwarven heritage and try to mine the gold out, but their devolved, weaker forms makes them less adept at it.

Either way, the Goblins have to find a way to have gold, because if they aren't exposed to it, they devolve further into Hobgoblins, which are essentially feral beasts that do their best to consume mithril, gold and flesh.

Our old DM had vampires as some kind of fucked up mutant strain of Cordyceps. Fungus gets into your brain and makes the host into a hemophage for dem sweet liptids and proteins. Sufficient sunlight causes the fungus to burst into spores, so 'vampires' without sufficient fungal growth stick in the darkness while they feed.

very cool idea. thinking about it now. where did you steal it from?

what would be some interesting reasons that dwarves are addicted to mithril? besides "thats how the gods made them"

You might be interested in Mid-Nor dwarves from Confrontation.
Basically a band of heroic dwarf adventurers dug too deep and awakened the rat-god. They fleed, while one of them stayed to prevent the beast from leaving. Fast forward, the rat-god has possessed the dwarf and is kidnapping more, making them into possessed horned maniacs that need to stitch new skins over their flesh constantly to prevent rotting.

Since Conf' has been dead for a few years, lore and art can be hard to dig, though. But it was a really nice take on evil dwarves.

cool twist, but too gruesome for my setting. also from google pics they look like shitty skaven

Well, as it turns out, there was lore for dwarves in Faerun that they suffered various genetic problems due to some war in their past where they turned to using Deep Spawn - aberrations that can produce an endless array of clones of the things they've eaten - to replenish their depleted ranks. Maybe your gobbodwarves could have similar origins? Some war happened and, for whatever reasons - alchemical warfare, super-soldier program gone horribly wrong, attempt to repopulate with clones, magical disaster, exposure to fantasy-radiation, whatever - it led to large numbers of dwarves devolving into goblins.

I took the idea of Blood Elves being addicted to magic devolving into Mana Cannibals and tried to extend it a little bit. I think such a situation drives Dwarves into being the reclusive mountain-dwelling craftsmen that we all know and love, Goblins into the scheming amoral merchants we all know and love, and the ever-present enemy in the form of Hobgoblins which serves both as an encouragement for Dwarves to have mithril and Goblins to have gold, and a menace that Dwaves and Goblins constantly have to deal with.

It could be that mithril in this setting "breathes" when exposed to oxygen, releasing a steady, slow stream of ionized mithril in the air which keeps the Dwarves healthy.

With goblins and gold, its entirely psychosomatic. The goblins start to get anxious without having gold around, and their anxiety eventually makes their minds and then bodies mutate even further.

Vampires in their entirety are shit

>The goblins start to get anxious without having gold around, and their anxiety eventually makes their minds and then bodies mutate even further.

((( goblins )))

Jews are cute
CUTE!

>Incase
He does sameface /aco/. A lot of people (me included) don't like /aco/ in the first place, and if someone samefaces a face you don't like, you're just going to like them even less.

Still awesome.

interesting ideas, not a fan personally.

>exposure to fantasy-radiation
upon reading i thought of some diseased dragon whose breath has the property of mutating its victims, so a bunch of dwarves went fighting the dragon, came back as goblins.

i like this concept

in such case
effects of gold on other races?
effects of mithril on other races?
how does the addiction develop?

(not that im too lazy to answer these for myself, just interested in what others come up with)

got 2 ideas for their origin

>a colony of dwarves found something deep underground that started to slowly transform them into something else, that colony was isolated for wathever reason and forgotten, milennia passed and the dwarves there reproduced and now are the goblins

or

>the dwarves shunned everyone who was deformed or wasn't born to the "dwarven standard" and those where cast away or left in the caverns as babies to die. Somehow some of them survived and took the abandoned deformed babies every time the dwarves left them in their ritual places. Deformed dwarves forged real communities and had more deformed children and, whenever they had normal dwarf children, they sacrificed them. Goblins are a bunch of deformed dwarves and maybe cannibals

for research purposes i guess?

>a colony of dwarves found something deep underground that started to slowly transform them into something else, that colony was isolated for wathever reason and forgotten, milennia passed and the dwarves there reproduced and now are the goblins
cthulhu

>the dwarves shunned everyone who was deformed or wasn't born to the "dwarven standard" and those where cast away or left in the caverns as babies to die. Somehow some of them survived and took the abandoned deformed babies every time the dwarves left them in their ritual places. Deformed dwarves forged real communities and had more deformed children and, whenever they had normal dwarf children, they sacrificed them. Goblins are a bunch of deformed dwarves and maybe cannibals
wrong turn, hills have eyes

>cthulhu
i was thinking of something like some sort of radiation, but an ancient god sounds right

>wrong turn, hills have eyes
wrong turn?

>wrong turn?
"horror" movies about cannibal mutant rednecks

This is what I used once:

There was a Dwarf clan that dug deep and found great riches in the earth. They made wondrous things and prospered, but eventually, were overcome by paranoia and retreated into their mighty mountain hall, barring the gates to the surface. Years passed, and their greed for more wealth poisoned their hearts, and long years spent in darkness and isolation twisted them into ugly, misshapen creatures. Their greed compels them to hoard treasure to this day, and they roam their old underworld kingdom, murdering and looting with no remorse.

He has abysmal proportions and draws the same exact face, but since he slaps dicks on his chicks he's ERMAGAWD BEST ARTISTE EVARRRR according to closet gays

>are there any settings where this already been played out?
Shadowrun does this. Dwarves that contract what is essentially magical AIDS turn into goblins. While the disease itself isn't specific to dwarves, the goblin expression there of is.

never watched it

>Corrupt Dwarves

In my home campaign:
Dwarves reproduce by Sculpting more of themselves. To do this they require Gold and gem stones and secret clan rituals specific to a clan. All the greedy stuff that people normally joke about dwarves loving. Dwarves joke about it too, but secretly they need all that wealthy because they still die and are still mortal.
"Like the stone" they come from, they are extremist when it comes to tradition and are stubborn.
Life is paramountally precious to them because it's so hard for them to make new life (Other races just have sex, phsst easy). Slight affinity for clockwork things.

Goblins are corrupted Dwarves. Corruptions comes in many different ways for many different reasons. Goblins are greedy and naturally violent. Disregard for all life even their own. The smarter ones have an extreme affinity for clockwork and no love for traditions of any kind. Most look to smash tradition simply due to their prevented mindset.
They eat gold, gems, silver, etc. Eating enough allows the females to reproduce. Dwarves being "Full" of the stuff taste Delicious to goblins.

Papa Rat is the god of the Goblins, connected to their curiosity and breeding rates. The Mid-Nor Dwarves awoke a Lovecraftian tentacled horror-god they call the Hydra.

Don't forget, though technically still alive, their patchwork, rotting bodies can be sewn together with the flesh of creatures and machine parts, due to the immortality of having their soul sewn into a doll made of their own skin!

....What?

Because the goblins corruption is psychosomatic, gold has no magical properties. The goblins are just so single minded, driven by a fear exacerbates by remembering their denegration from dwarves.

Mithril can be poisonous to some races. Kobold, for instance, or Banshee.

The addiction is anot innately natural thing. The learned folks can't explain it, Dwarven history has always involved civilizations that grew around huge mithril motherlodes.

That is the worst case of Man Hands I've ever seen.

He's most active on his tumblr.
incaseart.tumblr.com/

Merge vampires and gobblins into vampire-bat folk that live in hives, ala priest

Make it your own dude. This sounds awesome.

>having problems with cute bois
kobolds, plz

>vampire-bat folk
already have

not english i dont understand the context behind man hands

how would dwarves prevent mithril addiction in the first place?

and then when they further devolve into hoblins, how would they look like in your opinion? like goblin gollums?

ive noticed that hobgoblins are different almost everywhere...? in tabletop they are basically uruk-hai, in warhammer they are (what exactly?) goblins2, in warcraft they are big and fat ogres v2

Haters gon hate.

>devolved dwarves

De-evolution does not exist, but maladaptation does.The 4 tenants of evolution are adaptation, mutation,drift,and flow.However the golden rule is survival of the fittest,as in sexual fitness i.e. the best mate.

I don't mean to insult you but I don't know if you have studied this stuff,so bear with me while I explain and then give ideas.

In adaptation the most suited to a lifestyle/habitat breed more and thus increase the prevalence of traits that made them successful.
With mutation random chance creates an entirely new trait that may not have been adaptable,but a mutation's success can vary.
Drift occurs when populations are isolated for so long that certain traits begin to set them apart from other populations.
Flow is the introduction of a member of one population which has experienced drift into another population that has experienced drift thus introducing a many new traits.
Maladaptations occur when an already established trait begins to be less useful or even becomes a hindrance and thus decreases the likelihood of breeding.

Too much drift,mutation,and adaptation means flow can't occur as a new species has been created.
This is part of the problem of space faring races.To keep all colonies able to breed and thus of the same race,massive migration from every planet to every other planet is required to maintain gene flow.
Goblins could have started as a dwarven colony isolated by distance and depth(for drift and mutation),and adapted to different conditions. Yet questions of how far that isolation has taken them can be answered by the question"Can these two societies inter-breed?"

Also remember that beauty is part of evolution as what we find beautiful corresponds to signs of fertility and survivability.
No one likes a mate who looks like they will die,females find signs of dominance attractive in males,but everyone likes a super fertile even if that means you need to protect them.

And remember that evolution is an arms race.

>trying to shit science into obvious high fantasy

bye lol

They're both short. Just don't make your goblins scrawny; make them more stout like their Dwarven bretheren.

And come up with a good reason why they're different. It can be literally evolution based on environment, or "because magic," or something crazy and particular like their race inherently punishes Dwarves that fall to certain vices that tempt their kind.

man hands means masculine hands, which on a woman, is typically considered unattractive. What he fails to realize is that the creature is bestial, which is likely enhanced by particularly monstrous hands.

?

Also worth noting Sexual dimorphism (physical differences between sexes) and how that plays a part in an animal's social order.

Dwarves are like these maggot neanderthals that emerged from the flesh of Titans, given reason by the Celestials. A grand number of them have not been enlightened and lurk deep underground, mad and hungry. Others become part of maggot cults. If a dwarf is abandoned and left to lose reason, they will become savage and hungry things.

>how should i approach the situation?
Let the player characters potentially figure it out, like drop hints.

>what do you think about this idea?
Seems alright.

>are there any settings where this already been played out?
Goblins are dwarves? Nothing comes to mind. "Monster race is corrupted version of good race" goes back to at least Tolkien (elves and orcs) and like, mythology and stuff. And some settings did the opposite, like Elves are evolved from Trolls in Warcraft.

>what are some cool concepts on this topic?
Dwarves in Warcraft were stonemen until they suffered the curse of flesh and were corrupted. I've thought about doing "dwarves are made of stone" in a setting but have never done it.

Sounds like your are just ripping off ES orcs then. So just completed your thievery and copy paste their lore over.

So basically troggs from WoW?

Cool.

Isn't that Buttsmithy art?

Goblins and dwarves are both Catholic misrepresentations of pagan children. They're the same thing.

Harry Potter Goblins are Dwarves.
>Lawful to an extreme
>Ridiculously proud
>Xenophobic, still get along with humans for mutual gain
>Dislike Elves
>God tier smiths
>Hold a grudge
>Dislike the short lifespan and fast reproduction rate of humans
>Can't use magic

To top it off, Ron Pearlman voiced one. I think that is relevant somehow.

Goblins actually have their origin in Germany, as Germans discovered cobalt in mines and when they tried to smelt it the result was ash so they made up a myth about a monster that collapses mineshafts, wrecks the lungs of miners, and covets precious metals that they steal during smelting.

That root myth became both kobolds and goblins (both sounding like the word for cobalt run through other accents you see).

hello thuleanperspective

now gtfo

Buttsmithy is Incase's comic. Yes.

Oh, shit. I thought it was a different artist.

Nope, he started it a year or two ago when he got tired of trying to keep a shortstack comic coherently linked to previous pages in the series on tumblr. He's got a few other comics, but Buttsmithy is the longest-running. Also, it's currently on hiatus.