What do you think about intelligent zombies?

What do you think about intelligent zombies?

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/The_Tale_of_Reginald_"Ragin'_Reggie"_Dempsey
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I think they are stupid.

Voodoo zombies are already intelligent, just enchanted or drugged.

Zombies should be exactly the same as whatever race they come from, except dead of course.

Warm Bodies

Like all zombies, terrifying for all of two weeks before they start decomposing unless there's a necromancer around to maintain them.

Unless they're , in which case they're just terrifying.

Animal-level intelligence is fine. Human level intelligence means it's really not a zombie anymore, it's something else entirely.

My favorite, though? Hive mind intelligence. Individual zombies are dumb as posts, but the horde itself has a conscious will, either because it's being directly controlled or just from some sort of gestalt consciousness. So zombies will suddenly start doing incredibly clever things to folks who draw its attention, and you're fucked if you make it mad.

>Animal-level intelligence is fine. Human level intelligence means it's really not a zombie anymore, it's something else entirely.

Hm.

Would an ghoul apocalypse be worse than an zombie apocalypse?

> intelligent
> zombie

Pick one.

The Dawn of the RemakeDead still has the best zombies ever put to cinema. If we're talking fantasy zombies, probably Army of Darkness.

you mean liberals?

In my sci fi setting "zombies" actually take a very long time to become mindless.

Initially it starts with minor symptoms, and mental conditions that cause the infected to avoid treatment. They continue to function _somewhat_ normally for several months before they start exhibiting subconjunctival hemorrhaging (bleeding from the eyes) and this is when they begin to transition from slightly mentally and physically ill to crazy-person infected and they will reject authority, refuse medical help and attack people if they _feel_ cornered. A few more months pass and they become raving lunatics, and attack people.

When it comes to the eating people thing, the virus (which is actually an ancient weapon) causes changes in the body that causes infected to taste ghastly to other infected, and in addition to this their own saliva causes this same effect so people rarely die from being eaten/mauled but due to the insane violent nature of the infected, death and disruption in society is very common.

Infection is extremely hard to remove even if the patient is forced into compliance, and despite highly advanced medicines. Most deaths come from complications and starvation as the zombies can't gain the sustainabnce their altered brains wish for.

Uh, so I like intelligent zombies yeah.

I think it's more intimidating personally, hordes of not mindless but rather insane individuals who know how to operate vehicles and weaponry (however are less effective due to symptoms) and navigate buildings and the wilderness.

They'll do things like ambushes, solitary zombies might run off on their own to try and complete some mad task that causes damage/disruption somewhere. Society starts to break down over months/years as people slowly become less cohesive and trusting, and then ultimately violent.

>What do you think about intelligent zombies?

Depends on what the zombies think of me

1d4chan.org/wiki/The_Tale_of_Reginald_"Ragin'_Reggie"_Dempsey

what about zombies that act based on instincts and habits of the specific individual? i remember i watched some zombie movie as a kid and was scared shitless when one of the zombies grabbed a machine gun and started spraying lol.

also in roadside picnic there was some mention of a zombie uncle or something that was affected by the zone in some way, but thats it

are left for dead special infected intelligent? are there any autists who actually know some lore of it, if there is?

Is that a pun?

Yes

Wasnt the left 4 dead lore just movies?

They're just ravenous ghouls, no apparent intelligence beyond animal behavior.

Crossed.

What do you guys think about zombies that retain consciousness, but lack free will?
They continue to shamble mindlessly forward driven by an instinctive desire to consume human flesh, but they also have self-awareness and might be able to exert enough control to moan "Oh, please god! Help me!"

Headcrab zombies and the "trolls" from SSSS

In other words "Itchy, Tasty"

What about superintelligent zombies.

Fun fact - when shooting 'Night of the Living Dead', the monsters were thought of as ghouls.
Applying the word 'zombie' to them was more of a pop-culture decision.

I like this

They're just people who adapted better to the infection than the common zombies. Basically, their bodies went into a symbiosis of sorts with the green flu - which contrasts to how the common zombies seem to be constantly suffering with headaches, puking blood and whatnot (until disturbed). Rather than being hindered by the infection, the specials just go around doing their business.
There's also the exception to that rule, which is the tank. The tank is just a walking pile of ANGER because his whole existence is painful.

Now to answer more proper: they're as intelligent as pack animals, but not as humans. Special infected have the bare minimum intelligence to coordinate attacks, not get distracted by loud noises, hide, lay ambushes and track down humans, but they kill without purpose other than infection-induced aggressiveness, just like common infected.

I like Red Markets' take on it.

You have multiple zombie types, the most common being Casualties (shambling Romero corpses, very dumb) with the occasional OH SHIT moment when you encounter a Vector (a freshly infected person turned into a running, blood-puking 28 Days Later fucker, who is also pretty dumb because the virus is over-riding his brain). Neither are smart.

But then you have Latents. Latents are people who got infected but for some unknown reason the virus stops at the blood/brain barrier, meaning they get the black veins under the skin which are typical of the setting's version of the virus, but retain human intelligence and control of their life. The problem being that they're still infectious and when their human brain dies, the virus uses the grip it's established on their body to immediately turn them into a fast zombie.

THEN you have Aberrants, because the virus isn't completely internally consistent and breaks its own rules sometimes. Sometimes you encounter zombies where the virus doesn't cluster in the brain, so a headshot doesn't work. Sometimes you encounter a zombie that's what's called an "Empty" meaning it just goes and does some pre-zombification activity forever, like a mechanic turning the same crank over and over. The zombies have enough intelligence to be a risk to your Humanity (your mental health stat). You also sometimes see Converts, which are Girl With All The Gift style child zombies who retain intelligence due to their neuroplasticity in their young brains, and can direct and manage hordes.

Intelligent zombies work, but I think they work best as occasional landmines sprinkled into the horde rather than the norm.

ain't that basically I am Legend

Of course it is, since ghouls are clearly more dangerous than mindless shamblers.

I find it hard to believe that mindless shambeling zombies like in The Walking Dead would cause an end of the (civilized) world scenarion anyways since they are so easy to deal with. The only way for this to be kinda believable is when the infection has a way to spread that goes beyond being bitten/physical contact with body fluids.

>I am Legend

Read the original story - there were two types of infected, the low intelligence monsters, AND otherwise normal level intelligence 'people' that simply couldn't go out in the day light any more.

>consdier

Reminds me of how Dead Reign does them. There are standard shamblers and crawlers, fast zombies, Pattern Zombies that repeat the actions of their lives, Thinkers that have problem solving skills and some that mimic human voices, Pretty Zombies that are mostly intact and take care of their unrotting appearance to better lure prey, and the Mock Zombies who kept their minds for the most part.

Mock zombies still think themselves human, but once in a while lose control and try to feed. This also gets them mistaken for human nutjobs that have gone cannibal.

Finally, there are those who survive the infection but are left with a deathly pallor and inhuman resistance to pain. They seem to better sense and blend in with zombies, have cravings for flesh, and when they die almost certainly go full zombie.

Forsaken pride, worldwide.

>The only way for this to be kinda believable is when the infection has a way to spread that goes beyond being bitten/physical contact with body fluids.
Like in The Walking Dead?

I think they're called vampires.

I try not to think about it.

Go read "I am a hero" it's a manga that has that and covers that one part of zombie apocalypse that we almost never see. It shows every moment from nothing happening to full scale apocalypse

hahaha nice meme

>Considered

's pretty cool.

i always wanted the context on this

>zombie
Also Crossed is fucking garbage after the first story

They were fucking scary. Who needs intellect, when you can run, while ignoring completely the factor of getting tired. At least infected from 28 days later died out of starvation within a month. Those fuckers won't decompose in up to 4 months. And since it takes a lot of time (relatively speaking) to turn into one, you can still end up with someone hiding their wounds and then fucking over your secure spot

We almost never see it, because unless there are some extra rules, like in case of Dawn of the dead remake (fast zombies), such scenario is simply impossible to happen and lead to collapse of anything at all.

Dumb Russian kids being dumb and Russian.

Crossed +100 is pretty good

So is the story where the drama students have a fight on the train and the hot girl gets fucked in the butt by the rich method actor

Not that user but I read some of the manga a while ago and I remember a zombie leaping across buildings because he was an Olympic high jumper (Or something along those lines).

extant.

Those are called ghouls, user.

well, thanks for the nightmares

>Crossed

If they have full human emotions and can relate with people and everything, they're trash unless it's total gonzo fantasy. Even then it's kinda ehh.

If they're malevolently intelligent, as in they just go around destroying people without exception, it's great.

Nah ghouls are more "Hang around graveyards, eat dead and avoid people who could tell you about the khoran." kinda deal. It would be more like an really annoying but kinda dangereous infestation if they suddenly appeared in thousands.

Like a swarm of really big, stinky locusts. Stay indoors and throw out all meat in your fridge, cause theyre gonna crawl in and be defensive about their food and you can get an infection. Just call the exterminators.

Having intelligent zombies defeats the purpose of having zombies. I'll rather have them not be undead than intelligent.

Acceptable in high fantasy (Discworld, Planescape Torment, etc.) but if you're doing a modern day thing, there's very little reason not to just use vampires/ghouls/etc. instead.