MTG

Modern General

Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth edition

>What's your favorite card in modern?
>How do you feel about proxy cards? Have you ever used them in sanctioned events?
>Is there a deck you think is almost tier worthy, but just never took off?
>How did you get into modern?
>How spiky (competitive) are you out of 10?

Other urls found in this thread:

articles.mtgcardmarket.com/my-modern/
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/legacy-manaless-dredge-30489#paper
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/legacy-dredge-30429#paper
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-11-16-modern-mono-black-vampires/
articles.mtgcardmarket.com/returning-to-my-roots/
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This general sucks. OP should just wait for someone who knows what their doing next time

Pro-tip: put Mtg modern general in the subject line, not just mtg

fuck you, asshole

Lightning Bolt.
>How do you feel about proxy cards? Have you ever used them in sanctioned events?
I've never gotten around to using them.
Monoblack Aggro- if it only decent one drops.
Been playing since before Mirrodin, and took a long hiatus after Zendikar dropped the first time until Return to Ravnica. I had the back catalogue of cards, I hated how Standard and Extended rotated, and I didn't have the Duals for Legacy so why not Modern?
Hard to say- I feel very competitive, but I rarely bother driving to the store to play(what with the closest being over an hour away). The few events at Gencon I played I skipped out or left to go have fun/eat with my friends.

He's right you know.
Still, it's better than the thread we had a few days ago that didn't even have a subject line.

Not my fault you don't know how to make a thread

>You
>Implying that's op

Look I started making these threads because nobody else was doing it. If you dont like how I'm making them, you do it next time.

>this triggers the general

>This triggers scrubs and GBx players
So yes, you are correct

>says i'm implying
>admits he's OP

>reading comprehension
I'm op, I'm not the dude you replied to you fucking mong

What does 2 color need to be a viable choice over 3 color? With looser land bases we might see blood moon victims less salty but I don't know if there's any 2 color viable tier deck.

So to take a brief break for shit posting, is it worth it to pick up Dredge right now as it is pretty cheap in comparison to a lot of other decks? With Aether Revolt looming what are the odds they kill the deck?

Thoughts?

articles.mtgcardmarket.com/my-modern/

>buying into anything new this close to Jan 18.

Sit on what you've got. Prices will fluctuate if anything big goes.

The deck is alright. When it draws nuts, it wins, but you can say that about any combo or aggro deck in Modern.

Of course, WotC might and will probably listen to the shitty community shouting for bans. The correct decision is to wait for January announcements. It is however, a wise decision to invest in the lands. Dredge usually has a fetch/shock base or rainbow manabase. Buy the fetches and shocks because even if they nerf or outright kill the deck, you still have cards that dont change value

>tl;dr I want to play Standard

Boohoogland can get fucked

It's fine, even if pieces get banned you just transition over to Legacy dredge fairly easily.

Im just asking now as Grave Trolls went on sale in Canada land for an ok discount. I know if anything gets hit in Dredge its Grave Troll. It would only be like 35 Canadian for the play set. Its just if the card is gone next month its was 35$ down the shitter.

Everything seemed like a reasonable argument until he reached the Phyrexian Mana point and onwards. I sure as hell don't want SSG to be banned because I play Ad Nauseam and that deck isn't even super fast and does not break any of the proposed rules of Modern.

As for Blood Moon, Choke or Boil being banned this is his most reasonable argument but neither of these cards would be an issue if we had some reasonable mana rocks to bypass the land restrictions e.g Chrome Mox.

A gamble is a gamble. How lucky do you feel?
Arguments go both ways on whether a GGT ban would do anything, and therefore if the card will get banned at all if doing so does nothing.

>unban jtms and stonrforge mystic
alright I can see that
>unban bloodbraid elf
>ban blood moon, boil, choke
FULL retard

Put it this way. How much playtime will you get out of the deck after you build it? How much of the deck will survive even if GGT gets banned and will the deck still be a solid contender with a new list?

Now think about how much those GGT will be if they DON'T get banned after the B&R announcements before they settle back to a reasonable price many months or years later. Also $35 for a playset is quite reasonable given that they're going for $12 USD individually which would normally put you at $48 USD for a playset.

>Unban sfm
>Ban batterskull, literally the only reason why the card would see play
>B-but muh indestructible 4/4
>impliying your opponent can always bounce it

Don't know if you checked, but 35 Canadabucks are 26 USD. That's beyond "reasonable" and into "generous" discount tier.

If GGT goes, he loses 26 USD/35 Canadian and has four useless cards.
If GGT stays, he loses 22 USD/30 Canadian buying them up without the discount. Or he doesn't buy them at all.

This is borderline 50/50 "Feelin' lucky punk?" territory.

yeah. I hate to try divining intent, but this seems like the store owner making a 50:50 bet on whether GGT is banned.

As someone who is on dredge and terrified of the funhammer, do you have a list?

Also is manaless dredge viable competitively in legacy? I can't afford dual lands.

>Also is manaless dredge viable competitively in legacy? I can't afford dual lands.

Yes. That's the whole reason why someone made a manaless version. Bear in mind you will have 0 chance to win against anyone dropping a Rest in Peace or Turn 0 Leyline of the Void but welcome to Legacy where some degenerate fast decks lose to a single card e.g Belcher, Oops all Spells, Manaless Dredge, etc.

Merfolk is fun!! FUN!!!

>laughing_elves.jpg
You're right, Merfolk is fun.

Dredge doesn't even play dual lands which is what makes it appealing as a first time deck so don't stress about not being able to afford duals. Bear in mind a regular non-manaless list of Dredge does play Lion's Eye Diamond however you do not need to have them in if you want to play because prior to LED being played Dredge used to play Tireless Tribe. Basically budget(non-LED) Dredge in Legacy is Dredge from like 2 or years ago.

Fuck me I posted the same link twice. Here's non-manaless Dredge.

mtggoldfish.com/archetype/legacy-dredge-30429#paper

What would go in a monoblack aggro list? The zombie 1drops seem alright.

Nah I don't live in US or Canada so I wasn't sure what the conversion would have been. But either way from what you posted i'll take those odds. Technically I don't lose money until I attempt to sell those cards.

How to counter Tron? I'm a bit of a beginner and i just had my first game against these Urza's lands and they gave my opponent way more mana than i had at a very early stage of the game....

Maybe blood moon would help?

What deck are you using?

Ghost Quarter is better. Your other option is to play Counterspells of sorts and Hand Disruption. But what are you playing anyway for the most part?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-11-16-modern-mono-black-vampires/

Any cards I could throw in to make this faster and more competitive?

Red mana followed by Lightning Bolt

Play infect

Consider having a sacrifice outlet if you're running Bloodghast and Kalastria Highborn.
Bloodthrone Vampire, or even Indulgent Aristocrat could work. Possibly do some digging of your own and see if anything could be added to this set up?

Predator's Gambit is also strictly better than Unholy Strength, even if you don't proc the Intimidate often.

I'm playing Jund btw

i'd rate myself a 5 on the spike scale. i generally play to win but i also like my sub-optimal fun-ofs

>faster
i'd slow it down and go midrange instead
cut 1 drops, add liliana and kalitas, 2-3 more removal, 2 more discard, full mutavaults
as far as sac outlets, how about viscera seer?

Then youre just fucked. Jund has a terrible match-up against Tron

Play 4 Fulminator Mage in the sideboard and try to chain them with Kholaghan's command.

Cry when not even that can protect your anus from Karn's silver cock

>Bit of a beginner
>$2000 deck

Do I absolutely need the vials for Eldrazi and Taxes to be good?

He could have been playing with proxies, on xmage/cockatrice, borrowed a deck, etc. Don't be dense on purpose

I"m borrowing my friend's deck

Thanks for the advice

I had heard from some people that blood moon would help here but it seems like its not that good against tron, they just pop it after they're ready to go off, Ghost Quarter kills the lands they need to combo permanently right?

It's a bad matchup. Bring in as many Fulminator Mages as you can and maximise the Hand Disruption.

All Blood Moon does is slow them down but they are still inevitable. Ghost Quarter is a decent option since they don't play too many basics but bear in mind since you're playing Jund you don't really have the luxury of playing too many sources of colorless mana.

Yes

And no not even LD really stops tron rape train. The entire deck is designed to get those lands out as soon and as consistently as possible. So they can just dig/tutor for more, or use crucible of worlds to just play them from the GY

What's the appeal of cards in languages you don't speak?

>tfw want to play affinity
>tfw too poor to play good decks
This format, man.

If you still want to play a zoo strat you could play actual zoo.

But artifacts, man

That's just another way to get hated out

Doesn't zoo want goyf?

Are you asking one-drops or just generic creatures? If the latter Vampire Nighthawk and Phyrexian Obliterator come to mind.

What's the appeal of shiny cards?

Not if you go human zoo. In which case you want Cavern of Soy gay

I mean you could get like the cheap part of it which are the memeknights and ornis and go for a Jeskai ascendancy + Cryptolith Rite + oops all spells into a X fire ball or grape shot, or swinging with the giant creatures.

Yeah, I was definitely going to play around with sacrifice some more. Thanks for bringing Predator's Gambit to my attention, going to swap those in.

I haven't been able to play in a modern tournament yet but I've heard people say that if you don't win on early turns you're pretty much fucked. Will the added removal and discard slow aggro enough? If I go midrange would I be able to do well at an FNM modern tournament? Also not adding Liliana yet, trying to keep this deck semi-budget and have a feeling she's being reprinted in MM17 so hopefully she'll drop in price.

If she does get reprinted, she'll be a mythic in a limited print run set. The price might even go up with increased demand

Sometimes they're cheaper.

More accurately: sometimes the currency exchange is favorable.

but you can make a pretty decent affinity deck on the cheap.

Jund is the most cancerous deck right now in the meta due to how flexible it is.
You want to go turbo agro? Drop Lil for some gobo guides and drop inquesitions for more bolt cards.
You want to go late game control? Add an Obnix resparked or two and remove some shit like Bob. Remove the thoughseizes for some board wipes like Anger of Gods or Damnation.
Want to go meme combo? You could go punishing fire control if the card wasn't banned.

am i a dick for playing gu infect? everyone i play on xmage quits immediately when they see the infect

Is death shadow zoo a rewarding deck to pilot?

Does it have a good midrange/control matchup?

>You want to go turbo agro? Drop Lil for some gobo guides and drop inquesitions for more bolt cards.
>You want to go late game control? Add an Obnix resparked or two and remove some shit like Bob. Remove the thoughseizes for some board wipes like Anger of Gods or Damnation.
Nobody actually does this

No?
You're playing a competitive game. The goal is to win. Kitchen table is where you go if you want to have fun.
Zombie Hunt won't work anywhere else.

List? I just can't find a decent replacement for Nexus or Mox in the deck, mainly because those are the best fucking cards in the deck

>your deck is cancerous because of this thing you could do if a certain card wasn't banned

Here's a (you) for giving me a chuckle.

Has almost nothing g to so with currency exchange, and almost everything to do with supply vs. demand

Is this card even viable anywhere even with urborg?

Anger of Gods i have seen boarded in, never seen ob nix resparked but who knows

Anger is a pretty good sweeper honestly, i miss having it in Standard, right now Red is trash tier in standard and there is no good red sweeper at all, radiant flames is the best we got and its a pitiful joke compared to anger of the gods .

Look up "Tempered Steel," I believe that's the name for the budget-friendly build of Affinity.

This should have been an X cost like Skyrider Elf

I dun quoted the wrong post

No, OP sucks at modern generals

radiant flames is great but only in a 3+ color deck

I've seen an Ob in the sideboard for grinding, he's certainly not in stock lists but he's an alright card.

unless you're personally packing Spellskites I wouldn't say that. I bet a 1000$ treasure hunt deck could go toe-to-toe with most decks in the format.

can't make any comments about how you'll do at fnm without knowing your meta but i think mono black is much better suited to a grind game than speed. if you want to play aggro go red or green.
The following advice applies to a midrangier approach
either 3-drop lili would probably be fine. It's really good to have a permanent source of card advantage like that
if you keep a low curve and run 1 and 2 cmc interaction i think you can keep up with aggro. i'd play duress over distress and victim of night over urge to feed.
in general i think you want 8 or more cards you can play on turn 1.

if I want to run Eldritch Evolution should I also run Chord of Calling?

>pretty decent
Every time someone says this, it pisses me off. No, tempered steel is not a good deck.

Too late man, the time to buy in was like 2013 or so

Is the white splash in merfolk really necessary? I've had good results and I've never run it.

Any U/W fish players want to weigh in?

Choke and boil used to be a lot more common in modern and having lands which survived those cards was a significant benefit. Most decks I've seen recently are just mono blue.

It was pretty much what said. Back during a time when Twin decks were popular so Choke would just be good against quite a large chunk of the metashare. Nowadays I wouldn't even bother worrying about it because nobody is probably playing Choke/Boil these days.

>$1000 treasure hunt deck
Judge foil basics don't make your deck stronger, user.

They do when i fling it in your face and eyes ensuring the foiling process cuts in deep.

Life from the Loam
I'm on the fence. For FNM I think there should be some allowance but they should be a quality fake and not just a paper with 'goyf' written on it. I do believe quality reserve list fakes should be tourney legal but this is modern general, no reserve list cards are legal.
Dredge, then Prized Amalgam got printed.
Started watching SCG coverage and watching the popular decks.
Up there if it's a tournament. If not, -shrug- I still want to be playing competitive level but I'm more relaxed on rules and you forgetting to play your land and playing it at the beginning of my turn.

>50353807
I didn't say mtgo not allowing you to make illegal plays was a good or bad thing. It's good for those learning the game/a deck but I do agree it's worse for tournaments/competitive play.

Why shouldn't I main surgical extraction? I have the hand hate to get there pieces, threats and removal. Taking all copies of path, counters is surely a good thing.

I'm playing a Mardu midrange with tokens and young p if that helps. I almost always sb extraction in.

>JTMS
I think it would be fine in modern. 3 loyalty is killed easily. Even Lili at 4 is easy to kill. When he plusses to 5, a little harder but if your opponent is plussing Jace to protect it, he isn't gaining card advantage, just scrying you. That is a powerful ability but not so strong it's unbeatable.
>BBE
Strong but I dont think it would be a huge problem. The elf into Goyf is a strong play but definitely not unbeatable.
>Stoneforge Mystic
>Batterskull
Batterskull is really the problem, and Jitte is already banned. The swords are strong but not oppressive and you still need to equip them. Batterskull is strong because it auto equips to germ. KCommand trades for it 1 for 1 but you need to wait until they put the equipment onto the battlefield and be playing black/red. Still, Stoneforge is a strong card but I don't think stronger than Snapcaster/Goyf/Bob without Jitte and Batterskull. This also makes D&T stronger, which is a deck that uses mostly plains and babies can play this and not complain about Blood Moon
>Eye o Ugin
>Eldrazi Temple, Ancient Stirrings
I agree with this swap. Yeah, Eye produces two mana for each Eldrazi but can't produce colorless by itself for other spells and you can't have more than one on the battlefield. Hoogland brings up tron getting stronger with Eye unban and suggests Stirrings ban, which is probably the correct card to take from all drazi decks.
>Amalgam
I agree with all of his points but I play dredge :I
>phyrexian mana
I dont completely agree but decks playing Probe and Mutagenic Growth are not trying to play fair games of magic. I'd be happy with this either way.
>Mox Opal + SSG
I agree. Theyd be fair is SSG needed you to exile another red card, pay 1 life and get RR, I think it might be okay, but that might be worse. Mox Opal really should only produce colorless.
>Blood Moon Boil Choke
I agree here. Id like to see Wasteland introduced into Modern but since that's not going to happen Id rather see these cards go.

If you're almost always siding a card in then it should probably be main. But ask yourself this, does mainboarding Surgical Extraction improve your 50/50 worse matchups game 1?

You COULD play crucible/loam + GQ in addition/instead of KCommand + Fulminators

Depend if you're sideboarding out the same card every time. It could be that extraction is better than the worst card in any given match up, but all your cards are on average better than extraction.

>wurm spiral maschine
>wurm coil engine
is that a cheapo chinaman knockoff? I'm pretty sure German is just English with a German accent and some dots over a couple letters.

Source: I was in Frankfurt airport, someone sneezed and someone else said gesundheit

Loam does nothing in the face of relic and Crucible is too slow and easy to answer with Nature's Claim/Karn/Ostone, Tron can bring in their own Loam to run Jund out of green sources and start playing the game again.
You're better off just scooping and getting a beer before the next round than trying to get MCL Tarmogoyf+4 bolts hands.

articles.mtgcardmarket.com/returning-to-my-roots/

Why doesn't manaless play Bazaar?

Because BANNED.

I had could in all caps saying it's a thing he could do. Fulm + KCommand is probably the best way to fight their lands, even though you're still going to lose that fight most of the time.

In tron, would you play Crucible or Loam? I want to pick the deck up soon.
>Loam costs 2 mana every time, including green
>Crucible costs 3 mana once
>Loam is hated by relic/other GY hate that I may or may not have myself
>Crucible is bopped by artifact destruction that they probably have because tron plays enough artifacts that artifact hate is probably better than random other meh cards in most fair decks

Basically downside of G and hit by GY hate or hit by artifact hate.

Can you tell I don't play legacy?